PDA

View Full Version : Ball Diff Choices

DavidRosenthal
2002.03.18, 09:40 AM
I want to replace the stock diff with a ball diff. I have found a few options and am looking for feedback on them. I was hoping not to have to spend ~$45.00 for the Kyosho one. Are there any other options that are as good bot less expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Gimpdiggity
2002.03.18, 10:16 AM
I've got an RC Racing one on the way. I've been told that they make really good quality parts. You might want to look at that one.

I've also read lots of good stuff about the TopCad one...

Jeff

Mondo
2002.03.18, 03:37 PM
An oldie here, but it says it all.
Evaluated and tested by myself..

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=847

DavidRosenthal
2002.03.18, 04:09 PM
The shop has the TopCAD ball diff in stock and on sale. BAsed on those posts I think I will avoid the RCRM diff. For 16 bucks I can't go wrong. Anything will be an improvement over the stock planetary diff.

---Thanks

Gimpdiggity
2002.03.18, 04:37 PM
David,

From what I got from reading all of that, is that the Topcad ball diff and the RCRM ball diff are the same thing in different packaging...

Jeff

DavidRosenthal
2002.03.18, 06:30 PM
I didn't get that....I'll have to read it all again...

DavidRosenthal
2002.03.20, 08:28 AM
I went back and read every thread relating to Ball Differentials. I have decided to go with the Kyosho also. I was looking into the Megatech diff, but found that you have to use their motor mount, have to modify the stock motor to fit it and also, have to use one of their pinion gears. About $80.00 to add a ball diff.

My LHS will sell me a Kyosho diff for under $40.00

The information in this forum was instrumental in making the choice. Thanks to all who replied.

Draconious
2002.03.20, 10:26 AM
I am going with Kyosho as well, after hearing some nightmares with other diffs... they are too inconcistant in their manufactureing... and the ball diff is one area I would like to work on my car ;). And they are only about $29... +shipping...

Mondo
2002.03.20, 02:44 PM
I seem to be fortunate.
My TopCAD ball-diff fits 100% and runs as smooth as silk.
As for quality, as I stated in my assesment of the two ball-diffs, you just cannot beat the Kyosho for quality. Expensive as it may be, the old cliché : "you get exactly what you pay for" rings true!

The most important bonus on the Kyosho unit is the two extra O-rings, spare hex nut, hex key, washers and decent instructions.
With the TopCAD you get spare washers and that's it!

Oh, RCRM and TopCAD Ball-Diffs are one and the same thing

PorscheGuy964
2002.03.20, 04:06 PM
Mondo,
When I bought my RCRM Ball diff I was some what pleasently surprised to find mine came witha set of pinion gears. Has anyone elses came like this. I bought mine a few months ago.

Hardtrukr
2002.03.20, 04:50 PM
Yeah, mine came with I think 4 black pinions. But I sent it back because of it not fitting my motor mount.

DavidRosenthal
2002.03.20, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Draconious
I am going with Kyosho as well, after hearing some nightmares with other diffs... they are too inconcistant in their manufactureing... and the ball diff is one area I would like to work on my car ;). And they are only about $29... +shipping...

Where did you find a Kyosho for $29.00 ?

Draconious
2002.03.20, 09:55 PM
Since it will just get sensored here... there is a link to it on my DEALS page on my site ;) And of course it will be way more with shipping since its in HK ;).

Mondo
2002.03.21, 02:56 PM
Hehehe,

I did forget to mention that both the TopCAD and the Kyosho ball-diffs come with pinion gears :D

funkydog
2002.03.22, 04:55 AM
do the kyosho and 3rd party differentials work the same?

I have the kyosho and it works like a charm, but my friend's got the topcad i think and it doesn't work the same. When turning the wheel away from the gear, the wheel near the gear doesn't really turn the opposite way, although it's suppose to. And basically, when driving, the stock seems better.

I'm not sure if it's just defective cause the guys at the track say that 3rd party diffs work differently.

How about your guy's experience.

ANd if it is defective, do you know if you can fix a 3rd party diff, like with kyosho parts?

mini-z
2002.03.24, 05:52 PM
The Kyosho and TopCad/RCRM/Eagle etc. are pretty much identical mechanically. It shoulds like your friend's diff is just improperly adjusted. Yes, you can rebuild the other diffs with Kyosho parts, except the GPM 12-ball diff. RE the pinions, it's actually kind of random, sometimes the TopCad/RCRM/Eagle come with them, sometimes they don't - every shipment we get is different!

DavidRosenthal
2002.03.24, 09:33 PM
Just got my Kyosho Ball Diff on Saturday. What a dramatic improvment in the car's handling. No more torque-steering effects, much better handling coming out of corners and it was so easy to install. I also installed a set of bearings at the same time. The stock plastic bushings had worn sort of oblong which was causing slop in the whole rear end. The bearings are much better than the plastic. No slop at all.

My Kyosho did not come with pinions.