PDA

View Full Version : Wheels lock left

SteveR1960
2006.01.05, 11:09 PM
Received my second Monster today. Fortunately, Hobbytron sent me a factory sealed unit in one piece. I am returning my Tower Hobbies one that I now know was not factory sealed, improperly reboxed and arrived with broken parts.

Now, there is an interesting issue with the one that arrived today. When it bumps into something the wheels can lock left. This happens about 1 in every 8-10 collisions. To unlock them I have to manually turn the wheels to the right When I do this, the tie rod makes a little snapping sound and unbinds and the wheels point straight forward.

Can anyone explain this?

DogbreathRacing
2006.01.06, 05:05 AM
....hmmmm....sounds like a broken tooth on the #2 servo gear to me.

the gears will rotate to the extreme left point, thats where the broken tooth is, and will "Lock" at that point, spinning on where the tooth is broken until being "manually" force back into mesh with the #1 gear.

if you check it, you'll probably find this to be the problem.

two choices on the fix, #1 replace the gears, about $5.00 + shipping for the gear set and a weeks wait or #2 remove the gears and rotate the #2 gear 180 degrees so that the #1 gear no longer engages the #2 geat in the spot where the broken tooth is.

Good Luck ;)

SteveR1960
2006.01.07, 01:03 AM
I recreated the problem and then opened the front end and it was the servo saver that disconnected from the tie rod. I swapped the servo saver/tie rod combo between the two trucks I have and the problem disappeared. So I know it's one of those two. I will try to isolate which one tomorrrow and then examine the suspect piece to see if I can see the issue. They all - look identical. I suspect the spring loaded servo saver has it's tension a little low and it saves he servo on every bump unstead of when there is a very high impact.

BTW - I nearly cried when I opened up the MZM front end the first time. All kinds of small pieces came out. I had thought after fully tearing down XMOD cars and an F150 I was pro. LOL - not by a long shot. However, Kyosho - bless them - includes a full assembly diagram and it it took me 30 minutes to learn to reassemble. Now I have pulled it apart and put it back together 2 times, with the second attempt only taking a few minutes. Phwew.

james399
2006.01.07, 04:56 PM
BTW - I nearly cried when I opened up the MZM front end the first time. All kinds of small pieces came out. I had thought after fully tearing down XMOD cars and an F150 I was pro. LOL - not by a long shot. However, Kyosho - bless them - includes a full assembly diagram and it it took me 30 minutes to learn to reassemble. Now I have pulled it apart and put it back together 2 times, with the second attempt only taking a few minutes. Phwew.

lol.... ha ha ha ha.... i know exactly what you went through... ha ha ha....i went through the same thing....

only difference with me is that i kept snapping one of the wires of the pot.... but yeah, you do it a few times and it just seems to get easier...

SteveR1960
2006.01.07, 05:17 PM
lol.... ha ha ha ha.... i know exactly what you went through... ha ha ha....i went through the same thing....

only difference with me is that i kept snapping one of the wires of the pot.... but yeah, you do it a few times and it just seems to get easier...

Yeah - I am committed. Dogbreathracing order for three bodies are coming. My son specifically requested a "Herbie" monster truck. No turning back now. That's what was going through my head last night. "Suck it up - assemble it"

Can you see the product return. "you shipped me an unassembled vehicle"

james399
2006.01.09, 04:15 AM
Yeah - I am committed. Dogbreathracing order for three bodies are coming. My son specifically requested a "Herbie" monster truck. No turning back now. That's what was going through my head last night. "Suck it up - assemble it"

Can you see the product return. "you shipped me an unassembled vehicle"

it does get easier... and if you are gonna get some bodies from dbr, i would also recommend getting the body mounts with it... that way the body mounts up nice and tight...

-james