PDA

View Full Version : steering neutral will drift- not saver issue

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.01.07, 11:22 AM
When the car is at rest, the steering will be centered. As I increase throttle, the steering will gradually turn to the left, eventually turning to a maxium of maybe 10-15 degrees when at full throttle. I test this while holding the car, and giving no steering input on the transmitter. Transmitter has been swapped and car does the same thing. I know about the servo saver issue, and I don't understand how this could be the problem. Problem is bad enough that it is tough to race anything faster than the 6 tooth pinion.

What can I do to fix this? I'm considering changing any or all of: servo, stock board upgrade to pro, pot in servo... etc.

I'd rather not replace all of these if the problem is in only one area. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

machine
2006.01.08, 10:16 AM
you might try to add a cap to your motor, it could be interfrence from the motor. Could also be the antenna wire frayed along it's length. I've not seenthis before, but i have seen the "when i turn full Left or Right the car moves forward" issue.

EnTg888
2006.01.08, 10:49 AM
Apparently it has something to do with the current draw of the motor. I did some testing... and the drift only occurs when the motor is installed - it barely drifts when the pinion is removed. A stock mini-z motor not installed produces even less drift. But then again, a stock mini-z motor is known to burn out the pcb, so i dunno.

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.01.09, 06:47 PM
after further observation...

I notice that when I have the throttle pushed all the way back and the car is at full speed, the steering becomes twitchy and there is a lot of chatter as well. Also, I believe this problem to be gradually getting worse and wasn't showing from day 1.

Could this be similar to the problems with the POTs in 01s? I haven't read anything about the POT in the new 02s so I don't have any direction. Do I understand correctly that the POT is actually inside of the steering servo? Any help here would be greatly appreciated too. I suppose I could find some of that general knowledge on the internet...

"you might try to add a cap to your motor, it could be interfrence from the motor. Could also be the antenna wire frayed along it's length. I've not seenthis before, but i have seen the "when i turn full Left or Right the car moves forward" issue."

There are two caps factory installed on the (stock) motor:104/AEC. Should I consider replacing them?

I did install an internal mod with a solid, insulated, copper wire. Could this have done some damage? I started to notice the drifting/glitching after the antenna mod, and the car acts the same even with the original reinstalled.

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.01.09, 06:56 PM
Apparently it has something to do with the current draw of the motor. I did some testing... and the drift only occurs when the motor is installed - it barely drifts when the pinion is removed. A stock mini-z motor not installed produces even less drift. But then again, a stock mini-z motor is known to burn out the pcb, so i dunno.

So this is happening with yours as well!? Could the vibration of the motor be causing something to happen with the POT?

EnTg888
2006.01.09, 08:44 PM
THe twitching doesn't happen with mine, but the drifting does. From what i know, the vibration has no effect on the drifting (i detached the rear end and ran it - still drifts) but the twitching might be, like, as you mentioned, on the old kyosho and iwaver 01's. What really bothers me is the fact that there is MUCH less drift using the stock kyosho motor - could it be that the motor is just low quality?
Yes, the pot is inside the steering servo-i've never opened it, but that's the only place it could be, and that's the way it is for all the mini-z's.
Any of you electronics experts out there have any idea how to fix this problem? It's really starting to bug, and it's way too late to return mine.

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.01.13, 09:06 AM
I sent a detailed email to I Waver USA and have gotten no response.

I purchased a new servo from tower so I can try to see if a replacement does the trick as well as have a backup so I can take apart the original and mess around with the POT.

I'm also going to buy a pro board when they are back in stock and see if that solves any problems.

If my problems don't get fixed, I'm going to smash this thing with a hammer. Very dissapointed... I had a month of bad luck with evo xmods prior to this experience.

Taazz
2006.01.13, 08:38 PM
All service issues related to Iwaver cars go through Hobbico Services. They are a bit slow in responding to Emails but if you are persistant you will get answers and good service. They have their own web page separate from Iwaver USA.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the Pro Boards to be back in stock. Hobbico Services sent me two of them to replace my stock boards that ended up with 2 inch range. I could not get the steering pot on the boards to work properly. In addition, the crystal socket is on the top of the board not the bottom which requires hacking the top cover to let the crystal stick up through it. The techs at Hobbico ordered a Pro board for themselves and tried to get it to work and couldn't. I received an Email stating the the Pro boards are faulty and they they would no longer sell them. They would also not be selling the Ipro motor since they don't have a board to support them. You will notice that both the Pro boards and Ipro motor are "order pending" at Tower. Based on my information they will not be back in stock.

They are now sending me two stock boards to replace the two Pro boards that they sent me (which I wanted because I figured they would support a higher rpm motor) which replaced the original stock boards that appear to have fried when I ran a stock Mini Z motor in the car.

After all of this I still don't know if it was the stock Mini Z motor that fried my original boards or if they were just faulty. I only know that with the stock motor that came in both of my Iwavers I couldn't outrun a snail, let alone keep up with a Mini Z.

EDIT: Just checked Tower and they are showing the Pro Board as available Late February. Maybe they are making improvements and plannig on re-releasing it.

EnTg888
2006.01.13, 09:45 PM
I hope iwaver really fixes these little problems. It would be good for us and for them. (and hobbico i suppose). For some reason, I don't want to return this car... it's just nice having something different and trying to make it better than the traditional =)
but the electronics are the one thing I can't fix... So fix this iwaver!!!

PS: last time i sent an email to hobbico services they took three weeks to respond (I fixed the problem by then) and it was an automated response that said basically "if it's still broken, return it." It would probably be better to call them.

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.01.14, 05:54 PM
Shortly after I posted this, I got a response from Hobbico. Basicly it said that "it may be a problem with the esc/rx unit and, if applicable, can send it in for repair under the warranty."

I'm desperately hoping the new batch of pro boards will have these few issues straightened out as well. Hopefully the delay in the stock is due to a new batch being manufactured and they had a chance to do a redesign. "Hopefully" I am simply a crash test dummy for the first batch of I wavers :(

I have wanted a mini-z for years but never felt like I could invest that kind of money into the car. But now, I have already lost money on a dissapointing EVO, and now this Iwaver is draining my wallet and I'm afraid this all may end up being a waste as well. :mad: Am I going to throw in the towel at this point for the mini z now? :mad: