PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide......

Chunney
2006.01.16, 01:56 PM
I recently decided to get back into RC. After purchasing a beaten rc10gt, and emaxx from a friend, which I loved, I decided they were just too much hassle, and parts just kept breaking (I never really ran the rc10gt, it was just a project that became a money pit). Every time I would take the Emaxx out something would break. Now I've decided to get somthing a bit smaller scale. I'm looking at either the mini-z monster, mini mauler, or mini-t. They'll all cost about the same price. $99 for the mini-z, $99 for the mini-t, and it'll cost about the same for me to get a mini mauler, with bearings, and a hotter motor. But, which truck is better suited for all out bashing? Where I plan on taking it, the grass is really low, like the park, baseball field, and even my front yard. I also want a truck that runs well on the street, for jumping curbs and that type of stuff.

So far im sort of leaning towards the mini-t, because it looks more like a larger scale truck, but its only 1/18th. Plus, I like the look of them with beefier tires. Basically, what it boils down to, I've never physically messed with any of these trucks. I've been going by their visual appearance. Which truck do you think best suits my needs?

bolter9
2006.01.16, 04:34 PM
I recently decided to get back into RC. After purchasing a beaten rc10gt, and emaxx from a friend, which I loved, I decided they were just too much hassle, and parts just kept breaking (I never really ran the rc10gt, it was just a project that became a money pit). Every time I would take the Emaxx out something would break. Now I've decided to get somthing a bit smaller scale. I'm looking at either the mini-z monster, mini mauler, or mini-t. They'll all cost about the same price. $99 for the mini-z, $99 for the mini-t, and it'll cost about the same for me to get a mini mauler, with bearings, and a hotter motor. But, which truck is better suited for all out bashing? Where I plan on taking it, the grass is really low, like the park, baseball field, and even my front yard. I also want a truck that runs well on the street, for jumping curbs and that type of stuff.

So far im sort of leaning towards the mini-t, because it looks more like a larger scale truck, but its only 1/18th. Plus, I like the look of them with beefier tires. Basically, what it boils down to, I've never physically messed with any of these trucks. I've been going by their visual appearance. Which truck do you think best suits my needs?

Mini T and RC18T are really in a different class then the others. They are much faster and more durable- intended for heavy outdoor bashing/racing. For 1/18 scale truck, they are really the two major options- you can find all kinds of articles and reviews online that compare the two- check this site for starters (http://www.one18th.com/).

I prefer the RC18T because it is AWD w/oil filled shocks out of the box, but that's just me. Both have excellent history and tons of aftermarket parts.

Grass (even short grass) can kill the performance of any RC car regardless of scale- parts will wear out quicker too.

joshsrchobbies
2006.01.16, 05:33 PM
Id go with the rc18t or rc18mt If I was you because it's a better car and comes with every thing needed to run except 8 AA'S for around 130.00-150.00 wich is relly good for a micro car they also make the factory team 18t for about the same price which includes some hop up's but you have to build the car . That's the only bad thing about it. Thanks Josh

Chunney
2006.01.16, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm looking for something about like an e-maxx. Rather high ground clearance, and something that can blast across my yard, without too many problems in the grass. I don't expect it to go as fast as an emaxx, or do as well offroad, but i'd like about the same truck, in a smaller scale. I'd also like something a bit more durable, meaning that if I put it on the bottom of a hill with a bit of debris, it won't go about half way up and roll back at me with 2 borken drive shafts

Chunney
2006.01.16, 07:21 PM
The 18MT looks about like what im looking for, but I haven't seen too many hop-ups available. It's also a bit out of my price range. But, does this truck come equipped with brakes? That was almost my favorite feature with the emaxx. There was nothing like getting up to top speed, locking up all 4 tires, and pulling a massive powerslide in loose dirt.

Edit: That was Team Associated's MSRP..... the truck is well within my price range!

bolter9
2006.01.16, 09:01 PM
The 18MT looks about like what im looking for, but I haven't seen too many hop-ups available. It's also a bit out of my price range. But, does this truck come equipped with brakes? That was almost my favorite feature with the emaxx. There was nothing like getting up to top speed, locking up all 4 tires, and pulling a massive powerslide in loose dirt.

Edit: That was Team Associated's MSRP..... the truck is well within my price range!

Definitely get the RC18t/MT if you want to bomb accross your yard- you can do some crazy jumps and the thing just flies out of the box. In fact I took mine to the 1/10 offroad track and did the big jumps- I was impressed to say the least- and it's got plenty of punch to do power slides all day if you want.. Just remember that grass will wear your parts out- I fried the reverse on my ESC, and I'm guessing it was all the grass running. (granted the ESC that comes with the RTR isn't necessarily high-end). You're best off running on dirt or gravel- that's the case with any offroad RC vehicle.

The 18T/MT has brakes/reverse, and there are a TON of hop ups (the MT and 18T use the same). Just check t o w e r h o b b i e s or any of the popular RC car magazines (RC driver, etc.) every 3rd page is an ad for RC18T/MT parts. You can easily spend upwards of $500 on the truck if you go alloy/mamba brushless, etc. etc. I'd recommend spending a bunch of time reading that forum link I posted earlier- those guys are the 1/18 experts- we're the 1/28 experts :p

bolter9
2006.01.16, 09:05 PM
...by the way, you can see my RC18 MT in the background of this picture (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=2720&cat=709&page=1)

I'm running the Crowd Please 2.0 body- aside from that everything is stock.

Oh and some things to consider when justifying the cost- the RTR comes with:
1. AWD
2. Alloy shock springs and wheel nuts
4. Oil filled shocks
3. Full bearings

definitely more bang for the buck then any of the competition.

Twenty-Se7en
2006.01.16, 10:45 PM
Mini-z monster is not for bashing... no exceptions. Indoor track use only...

Chunney
2006.01.16, 11:32 PM
...by the way, you can see my RC18 MT in the background of this picture (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=2720&cat=709&page=1)

I'm running the Crowd Please 2.0 body- aside from that everything is stock.

Oh and some things to consider when justifying the cost- the RTR comes with:
1. AWD
2. Alloy shock springs and wheel nuts
4. Oil filled shocks
3. Full bearings

definitely more bang for the buck then any of the competition.

Okay, ill have enough money for 'er by next weekend, and a full alloy by the end of feb. One thing im curious about, the dogbones. It says that they're "nylon". Are these the same as the stock e-maxx, because I snapped those EVERY time I took that damn truck out! I'll have some steel ones (or whatever they're composed of) by the end of feb, but I was curious how durable they really are for now. By the way, I may have snapped them because the diffs were locked, but I don't really remember how the truck is set up, because I don't have it off hand. Also, sweet ride bolter!

Edit: As far as parts wearing out if ran on grass, what is most common to wear out? I know im going to end up doing a ton of stuff in the grass no matter what, or out on the running trails at our local parks. (theres also some sweet BMX jumps that people set up out there, have to try it out)

joshsrchobbies
2006.01.17, 02:22 PM
look here for hop ups ebay

Roketmini
2006.01.18, 04:41 PM
Hmm...sounds like a job for the new Losi Mini-LST. It's a shrunken LST (Losi Super Truck) with dual 370 motors and plenty of off-road capabilities. The downside is that it costs 220 dollars..but it includes a synthesized radio!

If that's too much, look at the Duratraxx...err...thingy. They make a Mini-Maxx of sorts.

bolter9
2006.01.18, 05:06 PM
Okay, ill have enough money for 'er by next weekend, and a full alloy by the end of feb. One thing im curious about, the dogbones. It says that they're "nylon". Are these the same as the stock e-maxx, because I snapped those EVERY time I took that damn truck out! I'll have some steel ones (or whatever they're composed of) by the end of feb, but I was curious how durable they really are for now. By the way, I may have snapped them because the diffs were locked, but I don't really remember how the truck is set up, because I don't have it off hand. Also, sweet ride bolter!

Edit: As far as parts wearing out if ran on grass, what is most common to wear out? I know im going to end up doing a ton of stuff in the grass no matter what, or out on the running trails at our local parks. (theres also some sweet BMX jumps that people set up out there, have to try it out)

Yeah the stock dog bones are nylon, but they are really quite strong- I've had no problems with them. You can go full alloy, CV joint, etc, but some people swear by the nylon parts, since they flex a little bit more against each other. If you go full alloy, it's not so much a problem, but if you go partial, you can stress out your plastic parts.

The only mechanical parts I've broken were the top and bottom caps of one the shock assemblies- this was from seriously abusing the 18T on the 1/10 track. I keep a few spare stock parts around- the shock pieces kit, a few extra dog bones and shock towers, etc. Stock parts are pretty cheap- usually a couple of bucks.

As far as running on grass, the danger isn't the mechanical parts, rather it's the ESC and motor- grass creates a lot more resistance, which puts extra stress on the electronics. Like I said, I burned the reverse on my ESC- not sure if it's because of the grass, but considering that's where I usually run the truck, and since I tend not to overly abuse it, I'm guessing the grass was the culprit. The RTR ESC isn't going to be the highest quality either- most people get rid of it ASAP.

The new Losi Mini-LST looks sweet- I don't know much about it other then what I've read, but it is more money and while a synthesized radio is cool, it's not going to make a big difference unless you're racing at large events.

At this point in the game, most people are running the RC18T or Mini T...they've got the market on 1/18" trucks- so you can't go wrong either way.

joshsrchobbies
2006.01.19, 03:10 PM
I've herd some bad things about the mini lst like the diffs are relly crappy , Also the radio is nose heavy and dose not feel good in the hand . Another thing is the parts are on back order because its such a new truck . If I was you I whould just get the 18mt becacuse its a lot better truck for the money . LOL and Its not a peice of junk too. Thanks Josh

Chunney
2006.01.19, 06:51 PM
Yeah, i was reading over on one18th (haven't yet asked which truck I should get over there) and I read a few problems the truck has. As far as the 18mt, I haven't heard one complaint. I was straying away from the mini-lst also because of its dual motor design. With 2 motors, thats more torque, but how many aftermarket dual motor ESCs are there for trucks that small?

tzero
2006.01.30, 01:46 PM
I have a Mini-LST and love it I have broken some parts but thats my fault. My diffs are still fine. The radio doesent seem nose heavy. And its super fast with the dual motors. I have taken it off about a 4 foot jump and it landed on all 4 wheels and nothing broke. It may seem super good to me because its my first R/C but I dont think I will ever get rid of it.There are some HopUp parts but not many for now.

TNB
2006.02.05, 02:44 AM
I could never really make up my mind either, so I just purchase most of them and make my own opinions. My latest being a 1/16th scale mini "nitro" buggy.