PDA

View Full Version : Car tech for big event?

machine
2006.01.23, 05:58 PM
Hey Guys,

We have a big race coming up in March and were considering teching the cars.

Stock vs Mod is mainly the issue the difference is motor spec and FETs. Is there an easy why to check the chassis for fet upgrades? And motor teching, other that looking at bearings and bushings how can we go about teching motors?

Thanks

byebye
2006.01.24, 02:02 AM
Most race have a hand out motor for that purpose. As far as the other stuff goes. The only way to check is to actually pull apart the car and let the racer put it back together.

-Byebye

Draconious
2006.01.24, 02:55 AM
use a volt meter on the motor terminals? ;) anything different then a stock car.. isnt a stock car ;)

Breeze
2006.01.25, 10:43 AM
ATamiya Speed checker maybe?

bolter9
2006.01.25, 12:19 PM
ATamiya Speed checker maybe?

the speed checker is pretty subjective, considering that the results vary depending on the pinion size (as well as the motor).

EMU
2006.01.25, 01:47 PM
the speed checker is pretty subjective, considering that the results vary depending on the pinion size (as well as the motor).
And the main advantage to the FETs is not the speed, it is the punch (ability to get to speed faster).

Having them check in at the beginning of the race, showing their FETs would be the best way to do it. Handout motors with a seal on the motorcan/endball that would break if tampered with would solve the motor issue.

machine
2006.01.26, 12:09 PM
checking Fets on an Iwaver/Firelap is easy there on the top of the board, it's the mini-z that are the time consuming ones. maybe it needs to be a requirement upon check in that the drivers open thier own cars up and show the marshall before they get signed in.

Or just have a sportsmans class and bump anyone that totally dominates the field.

bolter9
2006.01.26, 12:41 PM
checking Fets on an Iwaver/Firelap is easy there on the top of the board, it's the mini-z that are the time consuming ones. maybe it needs to be a requirement upon check in that the drivers open thier own cars up and show the marshall before they get signed in.

Or just have a sportsmans class and bump anyone that totally dominates the field.

Hey Machine- I think running a sportsman class in addition to stock and mod, is a good idea- it's pretty easy to tell which cars are modded and which are stock when they're running, but it's that in-between stuff that gets a little tricky. Dump all those guys into a sportsman class, and then as you said, bump guys up if they dominate.

If you get someone who is cheating the class system, it should be pretty obvious after one race, since the classes are broken down more specifically.

I think it's also more fair for the guys running stock- that way they're not competing against x-speeds and PN BBs. And it also accounts for the fact that most people running stock are likely to be newer drivers.

my .02 :D

machine
2006.01.27, 06:53 PM
Thats what i'm hoping for. We haven't made any final decissions for the classes yet, but we'll have it solved soon enough. We want to have the sign up sheet ready by Monday.