PDA

View Full Version : Iwaver for Newb

tzero
2006.01.27, 05:47 PM
Im new to R/C and I was thinking about getting somthing small and I was wondering if the Iwaver 02 or 04 would be good for my first 1/28 and will it last along time I dont want to buy new parts.Or should I try to go for a Kyosho Mini-z.

machine
2006.01.27, 05:55 PM
whatever you can afford is perfect. I haven't heard to many happy stories about the Iwaver 02 but the Iwaver 04 is a decent running truck. You should also look at the Firelap cars. Similair to the Mini-z 02.

Goodluck in your choice

EnTg888
2006.01.27, 06:46 PM
Yeah, for a first R/C go with Kyosho, less hassle, better out of the box. The Iwaver 02 will need a LOT of tweaking to run well. Of course, Kyosho is a heck of a lot more expensive, so yeah. If you're willing to tweak/don't get discouraged easily, go with the cheaper iwavers. If you want a better quality car out of the box, go with kyosho.

SuperFly
2006.01.27, 07:24 PM
While it's more expensive, a Kysosho MR02 will run great out of the box and you will have fun. The iWaver and Firelaps are good deals, but often have problems from the start that require some knowledge and experience to fix. I always feel slightly disappointed with any new iWaver/firelap stuff, because it seems like there's no reason for it to be inferior, but the subtle differences in the electronics, the plastic, the fit and finish all add up.

tzero
2006.01.27, 07:49 PM
Well I can only spend $100 and my LHS has the Mini-Z's but they are $150 so I was thinking that the Iwaver/Firelap would be good but if its gonna break maby I will just have to save up.

SuperFly
2006.01.27, 08:27 PM
Well I can only spend $100 and my LHS has the Mini-Z's but they are $150 so I was thinking that the Iwaver/Firelap would be good but if its gonna break maby I will just have to save up.

Well, it's not going to break any easier. It just might not run as well out of the box, and if you're new to the car it might be hard or frustrating to trouble-shoot. iWavers and Firelaps are a decent, inexpensive alternative, they just require more fussing to get them right. And often you end up spending as much in extra parts as if you just bought the Kyosho in the first place.

tzero
2006.01.27, 08:46 PM
I need somthing that will last because I dont have much money to spend on a 1/28. I was thinking that an Kyosho Mini-Z overland or a monster would be my next picks because they seem sturdy. All im going to use it for is when it rains and I cant drive my Mini-LST or when I go to my Grandmas house.

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.02.22, 07:29 PM
I need somthing that will last because I dont have much money to spend on a 1/28. I was thinking that an Kyosho Mini-Z overland or a monster would be my next picks because they seem sturdy. All im going to use it for is when it rains and I cant drive my Mini-LST or when I go to my Grandmas house.

Don't buy an Iwaver anything unless the store you get it from has a decent refund policy. I state REFUND because exchange is only going to frustrate you and the shop in the long run.

If you seriously only have $100 and money is tight, I would not get an Iwaver because you will eventually be stuck with a non working car and no money to buy a Kyosho.

tzero
2006.02.22, 07:52 PM
I got a good deal on an MR-01 and a Monster so no Iwaver till the buggy comes out.

Mazda787b
2006.02.22, 09:04 PM
Cool, but do you plan on racing at our GTGs? Where in MI do you live? I believe everyone there runs MR02s now. We had a few 01s and an iWaver, but everyone switched out to the MR02. I have owned the iWaver 02 (original batch, now called Firelap) and the diffierence between the two were not much. It will be an OK racer with a kyosho skeleton chassis kit, bearings, and a Kyosho stock motor, not to mention the tires suited to the track.

The new iWaver, forget it. It is a total POS, ask anyone in our GTG forum section.

tzero
2006.02.23, 08:45 AM
Hey mazda im over in Harrison TWP its over by Mt Clemens and Ann Arbor is a bit 2 far to have my mom or dad drive me. I do plan on getting a Mr-02 once I sell my Clod Buster.

Mazda787b
2006.02.23, 08:14 PM
It isn't that far..... I am not sure how old you are but joshsrchobies and I are both in HS and travel out atleast once per month. It's no fun owning a Z until you get to race it. :D

joshsrchobbies
2006.02.24, 07:35 AM
I tell you Its relly a lot of fun racing mini-z's.

Josh