PDA

View Full Version : New truck

modder5
2006.01.29, 12:22 PM
Ok so My B'day is less than a week away. My parents are willing to dish out around 150 bucks for my newest RC addition. I need advice on what to get. I want ground clearence and good torque for offroadin and stuff. But it has to go fast too and not flipp too easily. So i'm mostly looking at mini-z overland or mini-z monster. Which do ya'll think? If there's anything better, please let me know, like other brands or completly different types of trucks, as long as it can drive inside and in dirt, through rocks and other little obstacle. Oh yea the ability to be able to do little jumps would be great. From my requirements, I seem to be leaning towards the monster truck. But is it fast? How much of a race would it be between my cuzins stage 2 hummer Xmod without many other upgrades(the most she might get would be extra cells)? Thanks for any help

*edit* How is the hobbbyzone mini mauler? cuz its on sale near me for 80 bucks. hows it compare to mini-z?

arch2b
2006.01.29, 12:24 PM
i think you'll want some thing a tad bigger than a monster. do some reading on other monster trucks. i would list them but i'm not the monster truck expert.

modder5
2006.01.29, 12:35 PM
well any bigger and it wont be an indoor racer too. I already have a nitro savage k4.6 so I have the extreme offroadin taken care of. :) I just want somethin to have fun inside and outside and somethin i can drive with my cuz's xtruck. Can you do little jumps with overland? nothin bigger than a foot.

BTW i also already have a gen 1 xmod car so i dont want a mini-z car just some type of racing truck. How much faster stock is overland than MZM?

modder5
2006.01.29, 12:50 PM
I need advice on what to get. I want ground clearence and good torque for offroadin and stuff. But it has to go fast too and not flipp too easily. So i'm mostly looking at overland. If there's anything better, please let me know, like other brands or completly different types of trucks, as long as it can drive inside and in dirt, through rocks and other little obstacle. Oh yea the ability to be able to do little jumps would be great. I know MZM can do little jumps but would a n overland break if i did some jumps? How much of a race would it be between a stock overland and my cuzins stage 2 hummer Xmod without many other upgrades(the most she might get would be extra cells)? Thanks for any help

is there any difference in the hummer overland and the cayenne OL besides body? like any size difference in the chassis?

SteveR1960
2006.01.29, 02:18 PM
Modder,

I have two MZMs for about a month now. My criteria sounds similar. Have to be able to play indoors. My latest track was built to contain the MZMs which easily jump over normal track rails made for race cars. Anyways - it performs great. At full throttle cornering it leans in nicely and never flips. Not top heavy at all. Now I have only heard from others about the iWaver trucks and they need immediate upgrades for weak shockmounts and body, both of which I hear break easily. So by the time you do all that, an iWaver truck delivered to the U.S. (new) costs more.

I am planning 1:18 purchases next XMAS, and dropping the indoor criteria. Simnply becasue Ihave indoor trucks now. If the 4WD Mini-Z Monster comes out, that would be a fun alternative. iWaver is announcing their 4WD 1:28 truck now.

For the price, I can't see beating the Mini-Z Monster on performance.

Can post track pics if helpful - or just go to My BLog in the link in my sig.

modder5
2006.01.29, 08:54 PM
Modder,

I have two MZMs for about a month now. My criteria sounds similar. Have to be able to play indoors. My latest track was built to contain the MZMs which easily jump over normal track rails made for race cars. Anyways - it performs great. At full throttle cornering it leans in nicely and never flips. Not top heavy at all. Now I have only heard from others about the iWaver trucks and they need immediate upgrades for weak shockmounts and body, both of which I hear break easily. So by the time you do all that, an iWaver truck delivered to the U.S. (new) costs more.

I am planning 1:18 purchases next XMAS, and dropping the indoor criteria. Simnply becasue Ihave indoor trucks now. If the 4WD Mini-Z Monster comes out, that would be a fun alternative. iWaver is announcing their 4WD 1:28 truck now.

For the price, I can't see beating the Mini-Z Monster on performance.

Can post track pics if helpful - or just go to My BLog in the link in my sig.

Thanks, the monster was lookin great until I see the losi mini-T for same price. How much bigger is it than the monster? is it small enough to drive inside a regular sized room? Got any comparison pics? If the mini-t isn't too much bigger, then i'll get that but if it's too big, then i'll be happily going with the monster. How fast is monster compared to overland(all stock)? thanks :)

SteveR1960
2006.01.29, 09:00 PM
Well - I am going 1/18th next XMAS and with my expanded 14'x13' track I should be fine. You can check out measurements online. I have seen Mini-T videos at the Losi web site and they look fine or indoors as long as you have at least what I have.

i just IMed someone for an answer to your question and was told:

Overland is same size as MZM but with smaller wheels.

Updated: what price are claiming the Mini T is and the MZM is?

Update 2: pic of my 14'x13' track with a simulated 1/18th. I crammed two MZMs and one XMOD together. I think you can see - a 1/18th would be no problem if you have this much space.

http://www.vintagedow.com/rcstuff/images/simulatedone18th.jpg

modder5
2006.01.29, 10:01 PM
Updated: what price are claiming the Mini T is and the MZM is?

Well i'm finding MZM's for 150 and then shipping. Then i'm findin mini-t for anywhere between 100 and 150 then shipping.

Update 2: pic of my 14'x13' track with a simulated 1/18th. I crammed two MZMs and one XMOD together. I think you can see - a 1/18th would be no problem if you have this much space.

Yea I got about that space. With stuff in the way but i could move it. :)

http://www.vintagedow.com/rcstuff/images/simulatedone18th.jpg

Cool place to run 'em :cool:

Thanks lots of help. I'm thinkin mini-t now. but i keep changin my mind. I gotta decide :confused:

traxxasman215
2006.01.29, 10:11 PM
The main thing you want to think about is where you want to run. If your gonna run outside, get a MZM. If your gonna jump, get a MZM. My Overland has broken everything from rims to motor clips. Mostly because I abuse it, but it gets rewarded for it's usage. Anyways, the OL isn't really meant to go fast. It is really geared towards torque. A overland, even with a x-speed, doesn't have much top end. It's accelerates quickly, but it just stops at a certain point. The overland also likes to flip a lot because of the skinny tires. Which xmod does your cousin have?

There is no difference in bodies except the length.

SteveR1960
2006.01.29, 11:12 PM
Thanks lots of help. I'm thinkin mini-t now. but i keep changin my mind. I gotta decide :confused:

I think MZMs run about $100 plus <$10 shipping. PMing is disabled here. My AIM is SteveR1960. Try Hobbytron for example. I believe you will get like $108 delivered. Still - you may prefer 1:18 - more fun outside I bet.

modder5
2006.01.30, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the help guys but I might be having a while to think now cuz i just stripped my old rims on my K4.6 savage(too much power LOL :) ) so the money for m new car is now going for new rims :(
When i decide to buy a new car though, i'll probobaly be pickin up a mini-t or an RC18T. Peace out for now

SteveR1960
2006.01.30, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the help guys but I might be having a while to think now cuz i just stripped my old rims on my K4.6 savage(too much power LOL :) ) so the money for m new car is now going for new rims :(
When i decide to buy a new car though, i'll probobaly be pickin up a mini-t or an RC18T. Peace out for now

Yeah - RC18MT (note the M) is my choice.

modder5
2006.01.30, 06:46 PM
Yeah - RC18MT (note the M) is my choice.
Whats the "M" mean. Is that the one that you assemble. Cuz I'd like that :) I'd know my car better. BTW, I decided to pay for the rims myself so I can still get new car for BDAY :)

modder5
2006.01.30, 07:43 PM
Sorry for the double post. too late to edit my above post. anyhow, i found out what "M" means and that looks awsome. thats what i'll get but now i need to know the cheapest place to buy it(besides ebay). I live in the US some site based in US would be best. Thanks

james399
2006.02.05, 08:11 AM
I would not get a 1/18 for indoor use,
i have one, my friend has one, not enough space...

the overland, does have a tendancy to flip over quite easily, especially if you lift it or put bigger wheels on it... but it looks great cuz of the scale

but the monster is the best for overall romping fun...

my monster has bearings, lssm, chassis extension, pn motor, fet stack, and alloy knuckles, can take modest jumps... awesome doesn't flip over very easily...

out of the box, it is alright, but with the fet and the hotter motor, its nuts!

if you have any questions feel free to ask, i have both the OL and monster, love them both, use them for totally different things...

lol...

-james