PDA

View Full Version : Core transponder question

madf1man
2006.01.30, 08:21 AM
Are the Core transponders transferable between drivers during an event and if so is it easy to do as far as timing system operation. Or is it mandatory for everyone to have their own transponder permantly. Thanks

Spoon
2006.01.30, 09:26 AM
Are the Core transponders transferable between drivers during an event and if so is it easy to do as far as timing system operation. Or is it mandatory for everyone to have their own transponder permantly. Thanks

It's possible to reprogram the transponders if you switch drivers/cars. I think it depends on how willing your Core person is to make those adjustments. If it's a small gathering, it's probably not a big deal, if there are a bunch of racers and races and you have to reprogram the tag each time it might be a huge PITA.

I think it's up to whoever is coordinating the event.

madf1man
2006.01.30, 09:37 AM
I,ll be the Core person and am not the computor type but will be learning I guess!! So it is possible,thats good. I was actually thinking about something like labeling each transponder in some way with a number or goofy generic name. Hand them out at events each week and what ever you get is it. Car #5 or speedracer maybe. Events over and they hand them back in. Next weekend same driver might get the same transponder or not so then maybe he,s #3 or Batman.

Spoon
2006.01.30, 09:45 AM
I,ll be the Core person and am not the computor type but will be learning I guess!! So it is possible,thats good. I was actually thinking about something like labeling each transponder in some way with a number or goofy generic name. Hand them out at events each week and what ever you get is it. Car #5 or speedracer maybe. Events over and they hand them back in. Next weekend same driver might get the same transponder or not so then maybe he,s #3 or Batman.

That sounds fine. If it's the same transponder for the day, then it won't be a problem.

You could take it a step farther and paint/stick/whatever the actual Batman Logo or SpeedRacer image on the transponder!

mini-z
2006.01.30, 09:50 AM
I highly recommend 1 per driver; we only had 6 transponders for I think 8-9 drivers, and it was a) a big hassle to rename each one during every heat, figure out who had who's from the previous round etc., and b) while it seems to have preserved the names for the individual heats, the summary data appears to use only the last-entered name (I think) so if 5 different people used one transponder during the event, all of that data will show up under the last user who had it in the top-level summaries. We're going to be stocking the transponders at shop.TRC and will be requiring each racer to have their own for our next race as this was such a huge hassle!

madf1man
2006.01.30, 10:04 AM
No doubt on one per driver per race weekend. It would be cool to change out for the next weekend though right? Not sure yet what we,ll be doing just wnat to know what we can do. Of course the ultimate would be for everyone to have their own personal but in the mean time

Spoon
2006.01.30, 10:14 AM
It would be cool to change out for the next weekend though right?

yes..........(10 character limit)

CoreAnalog
2006.01.30, 12:13 PM
The database uses the unique transponder ID to store data and sort the heats and mains. It will get very confusing if you have to go back and determine who used what transponder and it makes the automatic mains sorting impossible. Get one per driver and your race night will run smoothly.

--Core

madf1man
2006.01.30, 01:15 PM
I read what your sayin and it sounds like you are refering to a one event evening and not having all the confussion of exchanging transponders. Would it not be ok to do as discussed above for one time events from weekend to weekend. I am assuming you are refering to problems with saving the data if a series race was being run that would last several weeks maybe. Ultimately I agree we,ll need more transponder, just want to know what I can do if needed. Call it a house transponder used as rental for one time club races. Make sense? and can it be done if needed.

machine
2006.02.13, 03:45 PM
Don't even try to change T's between races, it's absolutly brutal! I've had to limit my races due to number of T's. It kinda blows but it's the best system for the scale. I've got 20+ transponders with my system and 6 F1, which is fins for the small shop races but the big races are a first come first serve unless you have your own T's. Which in Canada is pretty rare.

briankstan
2006.02.13, 04:35 PM
it is possible to do as you say. you will just have to track who has each transponder if labled by # ( brian has transponer 3, and so forth) your event will run fine. the problem comes up when you have multiply people using the same transponder in the same event. You won't be able to sort the mains and quailing correctly.

you will have to set up each race and track times and do a manual sort. more hassle than it's worth.

I suggest that everyone purchases their own transponder and just keeps it. it makes things very easy. the second option would be a house transponder that is numbered and handed out. This will work fine as long as you have enough that they don't have to be shared.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Draconious
2006.02.13, 06:27 PM
It would be nice, if they were either 1$-5$ a piece... or...

If the software allowed it to be a public car setup, with multiple users.

madf1man
2006.02.14, 08:46 AM
Maybe I,ll be having a couple house tranponders just for testing or new racers. The emphasis will be on everyone having their own. Ran the system first time this past fri and it went pretty good.

arch2b
2006.02.14, 08:02 PM
just about everyone at my track has a couple transponders. if they can't pay for them i simply give them to whomever needs them. it's cheaper to keep things moving rather than having to take time to retag transponder constantly. right now my push is for everyong to have 3 atleast.

Spoon
2006.02.14, 09:38 PM
Has anyone come up with a decent (aesthetic) solution for using a regular transponder on an F1. I hate taping it to the top of the body.

Dusty Weasle
2006.02.14, 11:14 PM
Some in our group are putting the tag below the battery plate. We use blue painters tape to affix it across the leading and trailing edges. So far no additional wear and they havenít come off during battle.

The only catch is you have to pull one side of the tape down to get at the power switch or change batteries, but then just press the tape back on.

We have had no interference problems this way, or when we attach them up high on the rear spoiler.