PDA

View Full Version : What I learned tonight

Taazz
2006.02.03, 10:12 PM
I couldn't resist buying another Ford GT Iwaver when Tower put one up in their Scratch and Dent for $40. Only thing wrong is that the antenna wire had come loose from the board.

Soldered the antenna on and ran it with the stock motor. Yup, it is as slow as I remember. Would make a great entry level car for someone just learning, but will never keep up with anything else.

Put in an Istock motor. This appears to be the 30K motor with the X cut out of the case. Car ran, the board didn't fry and the car didn't lose range. What I did discover is that you don't want to oil this motor. I did and after a couple of runs it kind of siezed up. Second thing I discovered is don't use motor cleaner on an Istock motor with a clear plastic endbell. It did free the motor back up, but I think it weakened the endbell because it started cracking. The car ran for a bit and siezed up again. Cleaned it again and it siezed up again. Put in a second Istock motor and didn't oil it or clean it. No problems. These motors seem to run a bit hot without heat sinks, but as long as you don't oil them or try to clean them they work fine. I broke open the crapped out motor and discoverd that they don't even use brushes, just metal prongs that appear to ride in grooves on the commutator. Pretty cheaply made.

About half way through the night I did notice a loss of range on the car. Thought it might be the transmitter batteries so I replaced them. Nope, I think the range was affected when the first Istock motor siezed up and ran a bit too hot. The boards seem to be very sensitive to losing range if the motor gets too hot. I ended up with about 15 to 20 feet of range. Enough to run on the RCP track we had set up. I switched to a stock Kyosho motor (the Japanese version with the metal bearings) and ran several 5 minute heats with no further deterioration. Switched back to the second Istock motor that I did not oil and ran another two packs of batteries without any further deterioation.

So, the newest stock boards will handle a stock Kyosho motor and the Istock motor. The problems I had with my first two cars appear to have been just bad boards. You have to make sure everything is running very free and make every effort to run the motor as cool as possible or you may suffer reduced range.

I am not sure the Iwaver will beat or even keep up with a Mini Z. The Iwaver was a full second slower than my Enzo. Maybe I need to tweak and tune the Iwaver more, but I am not sure it is in the same class as a Mini Z. It is however a smooth, fun car to drive and beats the Xmod Evolution hands down.

Taazz
2006.02.04, 04:23 PM
Ok, my optimism of last night has now turned into the horror story that is the truely Iwaver. If you recall, it all started with two Ford GTs purchased from Tower Hobbies back in December. Both of them ran for a total of about 10 minutes each when the stock black endbell motor was replaced with a stock Japanese (metal bushing) Kyosho motor. First I asked them to send me Pro boards thinking this would solve the problem. I couldn't get the steering to work. The techs tried and couldn't get them to work either and pulled them off the market and declared them defective. Then they sent (a month after they said they would) two battery holder, servo, board combos pulled form kits. I got those this past week.

After my success yesterday I thought ok I am home free. Not so fast, this is Iwaver we are dealing with here. I put a Radio Shack stage 2 motor (supposedly 30K, but I don't think it is). The exact same motor I have run in the above car. Not the same kind of motor the same motor. Everything free, nothing binding, motor running cool. Ran 1 pack of batteries, car is running and handling great. Started into the second set of batteries and you guessed it. Stoped dead in the middle of the track and range is nil.

Took the second battery, servo, board combo and put it on the car. This time I put the stock Kyosho Japanese motor from the car in the first post in it. This one didn't even make 5 laps before the range went to nil.

I have now had 5 of the newest stock Iwaver boards and only 1 of them is still running. All of the others quit after 10 to 15 minutes at the most. It is not the motor or anything that I am doing. I have run the car above that is still working, hard. Heat after heat, motor after motor. I have run Istock, Kyosho stock and Radio Shack Stage 2 motors. I ran it again today with different motors just to make sure. It did lose some range, when one of the Istock motors began to sieze up, but not enough to make it undriveable. I ran the motors that were run in this car with the other two boards and got the same results I got with the orignial two boards, no range.

My failure rate on boards thus far is 80%. I am going to continue to work with Hobby Services and request that they continue to send me new parts until I have cars that work as they are supposed although at this point I am not holding my breath and they may be getting tired of me.

Another stupid fact is that the Pro boards and the stock replacement boards have the crystal socket mounted on the wrong side of the board. When you install the board it sticks up and you have to cut the cover plate to clear it. Check the pictures at Tower. I know it is this way on the Pro boards and the picture shows it this way on the stock board.

My nickname for Iwaver has become Icrap. You know, that stuff that you have to wipe out of the corner of your eye in the morning.

Have I convinced you not to buy an Icrap yet??????

Draconious
2006.02.04, 07:06 PM
I-Waver My Rights To Quality.
;)

Yea it only costs hobby services/tower/gp about $2 per PCB.. so get as many from them as you can, to the point they realize I waver is not a profitable replacment for the loss of their kyosho mini-z sales...

color01
2006.02.04, 07:57 PM
very true draconius... so many horror stories with the IW02.

and yet, i must've lucked out really well... i bought an old 01 Pro off of *******, have run that thing with RS stage 2's, tamiya motors, with lithium-ions, and the thing has yet to go; the steering doesn't seem to have the characteristic lag either (must be the extra voltage). maybe you got one from a bad batch? i usually have ridiculously bad luck, so i was suprised i had a working car after reading all the bad things about it.

nevertheless, if the new 02M gets good reviews i'd consider it.

michvin
2006.02.05, 02:05 AM
I-Waver My Rights To Quality.
;)

Yea it only costs hobby services/tower/gp about $2 per PCB.. so get as many from them as you can, to the point they realize I waver is not a profitable replacment for the loss of their kyosho mini-z sales...
i don't think it was their choice to quit mini-z, they had no choice but to quit. I think GreatPlanes (or whichever importer) went out of business with kyosho since K opend KyoshoAmerica.

Draconious
2006.02.05, 04:15 AM
didnt say it was... but it was their choice to charge as much for an I waver as they were Mini-Z's lol...

color01
2006.02.05, 01:48 PM
bad soldering could cause excessive resistance... which causes heat, which could melt solder, and could short out the board. that's kind of a long shot, but evidently iwaver can do anything.

EnTg888
2006.02.05, 01:51 PM
This problem again... arrghhh...
Good thing I didn't put a kyosho motor in there. But this is kinda odd, why would the range fail depending on the motor? And why only this generation of iwavers? Does anyone with electronics knowledge have any idea?

maestroelite
2006.02.05, 02:29 PM
and yet, i must've lucked out really well... i bought an old 01 Pro off of *******, have run that thing with RS stage 2's, tamiya motors, with lithium-ions, and the thing has yet to go; the steering doesn't seem to have the characteristic lag either (must be the extra voltage). maybe you got one from a bad batch? i usually have ridiculously bad luck, so i was suprised i had a working car after reading all the bad things about it.

The old Iwavers that were copies of the Mini-Z ran pretty well once you replaced the H-plate and smoothened the front suspension. Its the new "unique" IW02s that have all of the problems.

Taazz
2006.02.05, 10:12 PM
This problem again... arrghhh...
Good thing I didn't put a kyosho motor in there. But this is kinda odd, why would the range fail depending on the motor? And why only this generation of iwavers? Does anyone with electronics knowledge have any idea?

I am beginning to doubt that it has anything to do with the motors. I am thinking just plain poor quality control. I have the newest one that I bought and I have thrown every motor at it from what came in it to Kyosho stock, to Istock, to RS stage 2 and it is still running. I did lose a bit of range and it was when I had the Istock that siezed up. Others have posted that they are running Istock motors with no problems.

I am really baffled myself as to what the problem is. If one car can survive the motors, they should all be able to.

EnTg888
2006.02.06, 09:03 PM
If it's really not the motor, then why do none of the cars fry when the stock motor is in there? This IS a queer problem. Possibly something different with the way the motor hooks up, e.g. differently shaped contacts? I dunno.