PDA

View Full Version : bought a new iwaver, but...

moparsteve
2006.02.04, 11:33 AM
the steering is really really slow.
I got it for $50 at a lhs. It was the last one they had and i talked him down to $50. other than the slow steering it runs great, punchy and such.
Also i love the controller im using it on my mini-zs also.
So if theres a fix for the servo motor, please let me know

Thanks
Steve

Taazz
2006.02.04, 11:54 AM
I got it for $50 at a lhs. It was the last one they had and i talked him down to $50. other than the slow steering it runs great, punchy and such.

Thanks
Steve

Yes, the steering does appear to be slow, but I have not noticed any problems when racing the new Iwaver on our RCP tracks. For me it isn't worth taking the servo apart to do the fix. Some have put ZipZap motors in place of the stock motor. I don't remember which one.

The steering will get really slow, undrivable slow, as the batteries get soft. You can't run the batteries all the way down on an Iwaver and keep control.

moparsteve
2006.02.04, 07:12 PM
well i took the servo apart to see what was up.
this must be the smallest motor ever!! well not really but atleast 1/3 the size of the other servo motors(mini-zs). and on top of that it is just in there, its a round can motor in a round hole,there is nothing to stop it from turning?!? so I put some tape around the end and pressed it in the hole, it turns better, but my batterys are dead. It was just worth the $50 for the body and controler i guess, it drives fine (not slow for stock).

Steve

Taazz
2006.02.04, 08:56 PM
Wait until you put it on the track against anything else, Xmod or Mini Z and you will realize just how slow it is stock. It doesn't have a chance unless you upgrade the motor and I have not had good luck with the board holding up when doing that.

faydoiinspire
2006.02.04, 11:48 PM

Thanks
Steve

the new iwaver controller w/ the digital screen does look pretty cool..but how does it compare w/ the stock kt-5 transmitter?

Roger
2006.02.04, 11:55 PM
The Iwaiver controller is pretty sweeeet I must admit.

Taazz
2006.02.05, 12:03 AM

I agree. I love the controller as well. I did have one out of three controllers just plain stop transmitting. Hobby services did replace it.

faydoiinspire
2006.02.05, 12:08 AM
I agree. I love the controller as well. I did have one out of three controllers just plain stop transmitting. Hobby services did replace it.

so you guys seem to like the iwaver controller better than the kt-5.

Now how does the iwaver controller compare with the 2PL?

Taazz
2006.02.05, 08:17 AM
so you guys seem to like the iwaver controller better than the kt-5.

Now how does the iwaver controller compare with the 2PL?

It is pretty much the same radio as the 2PL. It has the same features and I believe I read somewhere that it might even be made by Futaba (or used to be), although I am not sure on that.

The Iwaver radio is so far beyond the KT-5 in terms of features, balance and feel that I can't go back to using one after I have used the Iwaver. One of the biggest advantages is having servo reversing which the KT-5 does not have. Not to mention the 10 model memory.

Do be careful with the Iwaver though. The stops on the inside of the wheel can weaken with time and if you turn the wheel too hard and too far you can break the parts inside. I loaned one of mine to a student who didn't understand that turning the wheel harder, didn't make the car turn tighter and ended up having to replace parts inside the radio.

moparsteve
2006.02.05, 11:58 AM
i like the controller better than the kt-5. i also like how it dislays how many volts the batterys have, it was 11.5 when i got it (it had duracells when i got it) and now its at 10 and it has less range, time to change. The iwaver was faster than a first gen xmod with a stage2 motor! :D

Steve

faydoiinspire
2006.02.06, 10:28 PM
It is pretty much the same radio as the 2PL. It has the same features and I believe I read somewhere that it might even be made by Futaba (or used to be), although I am not sure on that.

The Iwaver radio is so far beyond the KT-5 in terms of features, balance and feel that I can't go back to using one after I have used the Iwaver. One of the biggest advantages is having servo reversing which the KT-5 does not have. Not to mention the 10 model memory.

Do be careful with the Iwaver though. The stops on the inside of the wheel can weaken with time and if you turn the wheel too hard and too far you can break the parts inside. I loaned one of mine to a student who didn't understand that turning the wheel harder, didn't make the car turn tighter and ended up having to replace parts inside the radio.

maybe i'll get a iwaver readyset and just use the controller lol

Mazda787b
2006.02.06, 10:53 PM
Don't bother, the newer iWaver Tx is garbage. The original like comes with the Firelaps are the ticket.

Taazz
2006.02.06, 11:25 PM
Don't bother, the newer iWaver Tx is garbage. The original like comes with the Firelaps are the ticket.

Could I ask you why you say it is garbage? Have you used one? Specifically what problems did you have with it? If you are going to bash something it is only fair to give legitimate reasons for doing so.

I have three of them. One had to be replaced, but all of them are working just fine. No range problems. No glitching. I use them with my Mini Zs and Iwavers.

I guess I disagree with you. It is probably the only reason to buy an Iwaver ready set.

Rokkiheebeli
2006.02.09, 12:45 PM
I like it too very much, but I had a little porblem with it. Spring from the steeringwheel broke. That was not so hard to make a replacement for it, but when I started to put it together I broke holder for trimknob. After that, I got three different wires on loose from solderings, and I noticed those apart wires one by one after putting the covers together. So I opened and closed the controller four times. Now it works again, but I'm scared it will broke if I start to cruise.

machine
2006.02.09, 03:40 PM
I like the new IW controller as well as the Old version. Both worked well for me and my customers. I have had a few die on me, but they were replaced and all's well again. But looking at the cost of a Firelap kit and Digital remote vs a 2pl on it's own it's worth the price.

Course i'm now running a Helios now...:)

joshsrchobbies
2006.02.09, 06:26 PM
I tell you why it's garbage I bought a brand new iwaver and didn't even have it a week!!! The Tx went completly blank and there was no response at all from it . Had my local hobby shop send it in and took almost a mounth to get it back .Bad custmer service whouldn't even give me a estmation when it whould be back in just got it back and had to fix it my self because when I got IT back stearing whouldn't work. Anyways Im not the only one this happend to. So watch out buying iwavers !!!

Thanks,Josh

EnTg888
2006.02.10, 12:10 AM
I haven't had any major problems with it...
Is there a major quality difference between the old and new controllers? I'd like an old one if that was the case. And anyone know where they put the 3ch switch on the new controller?

try contacting Hobbico services directly, I hear they actually are willing to help if you ask nicely :D

Mazda787b
2006.02.10, 12:50 AM
The old tx is alot nicer, IMO. With Josh's experience with the new iWavers I plan to stay away from them. I see TE restocked firelap 2.0s, maybe I will pick one up.

joshsrchobbies
2006.02.11, 05:53 PM
I've seen mazdas older iwaver controller its alot nicer then the new one's . So if I had a choice I whould take a old over new every day of the week.

Thanks,Josh

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.02.22, 08:25 PM
I had 50% success with the newer controllers. Some of them the light wouldn't work. Two out of the five that I have used developed a trigger problem where the internal mechanism would "skip" and loose control until would reset it. I'm not happy with them at all.

All of them have a battery tray that just rests in the bottom of the controller. If you are not careful when you take the battery cover off the tray falls out and is left hanging by the wires which of course break easily. If you try to fix any of the problems with the controller and take it apart, be extremely careful as the internal solder joints are very poor.

Rokkiheebeli
2006.03.14, 03:29 PM
Yep, those solderings are very fragile. I've had many problems with the radio and i've opened it few times. About 5 different wires have gotten apart of their places. Also i've broken the steeringspring and throttlespring, both separate times, of course. And those wires came out again. There's a easy way of repairing the springs, just take a pen, and use it's spring (cut it shorter, and bend the ends to match the "hooks").