PDA

View Full Version : Iwaver and Firelap

martymoose
2006.02.06, 02:56 AM
Hi guys,

As a newbee to all this miniz stuff I was wondering whether someone out there can explain to me a few things about the Iwaver and Firelap. Are they one and the same thing??? Are they any good?? I have read around and it seems that the there are the kyosho people and there are the Iwaver people. If we put a kyosho and an Iwaver side by side how would they compare. Which is faster out of teh box?? The Iwaver is much cheaper and I am wondering whether the kyosho is twice as good as it almost costs twice as much... I have a kyosho mini z AWD and the quality and level of detail is unreal. :)

What do you guys think???

Cheers

Martymoose

Sasquatch
2006.02.06, 03:13 AM
The "new" Iwaver 02 is very different, it's not the clone, it is it's own car. It has a micro servo, similiar laydown battery setup, but where it is really different is in the rear end. Have a look at some photos and you'll see the difference.

The Firelap 2.0 is the clone of the MR-02. It will be a good car if you happen to get one, they don't have a very good quality control, so you're going to be gambling a bit. If you have an LHS that will be good, especially if they have a warranty thing going on.

Performance is about the same, the MR-02 has a slightly faster motor than the IW-02. The NIW-02 I am unsure of since it is fairly new. You can check around for some reviews, I've heard it has amazing steering, but also slow steering at the same time.

I recommend if you are on a budget, or willing to take a small risk, go for the Firelap 2.0. If you have the money, go for the Kyosho, guaranteed quality. But before you go for one, I say work on your MA-010 for now and go for the others a little later. You'll appreciate it later on more because you'll want to hop them both up, but then you won't have enough money, so you're going to have to deal with the gut-wrenching question of which upgrade to get for which car, I'm in that problem right now and I'm even thinking of picking up an F1 in a couple weeks, maybe even by the end of the month.

martymoose
2006.02.06, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the explanation. As for hopping up 2 cars at once I can always mortgage the house or sell my kids :D .

Seriously though. I would like to get an MR02 or an Iwaver. Do you know a place that sells only the cars?? I do not need another radio. I figured that I only have 2 hands and 2 or 3 radios is an over kill. I would like to just move crystals around...

Cheers

Martymoose

byebye
2006.02.06, 04:13 AM
What kind of radio do you have? The iwaver functions are reversed fromt he mini-z. If you have just a mini-z tx it will not work on the firelap/iwaver.

-Byebye

martymoose
2006.02.06, 04:31 AM
oh crap. I have whatever radio comes with the kyosho AWD mini z. perfex kts. This radio should be good for another kyosho like MR02 shouldn't it?????

byebye
2006.02.06, 04:54 AM
Yes, the stock mini-z tx is good for the whole mini-z racer line except the adband and boat, I believe those are FM. We run 3 different radios here at home, the Iwaver(looks like 3pk), Futabe 2pl, and Helios EX-10 w/mini-z module.

-Byebye

machine
2006.02.06, 11:42 AM
If you decide on the firelap you get the digital remote with ten model memory and reverse channel functions so you can run all you cars (all being 27hz am) from the same remote.

I don't know were you'd find them as a chassis/body kit only.

Taazz
2006.02.06, 02:24 PM
If you decide on the firelap you get the digital remote with ten model memory and reverse channel functions so you can run all you cars (all being 27hz am) from the same remote.

I don't know were you'd find them as a chassis/body kit only.

D****** had some of the 02 clones on Ebay. Car only, no crystal or tranmsitter. They were going for 35.90 shipped. Don't know if there are any up there right now. They had the F35, Lancer and Subaru.

SuperFly
2006.02.06, 02:34 PM
I've been down this path before, and I'm gonna say you should save your pennies and get a Kyosho. If you really like tweaking and problem-solving, then a Firelap 2.0 might be ok, but if you want something that's great out of the box, get a Kyosho.

I have a Firelap 2.0, and it's running pretty good at the moment. However, the electronics are clearly inferior, and you can tell that by driving just a few laps. The granularity of the proportionality is half of Kyosho's, and you can feel it. Glitching and radio interference are common problems. Once you start buying motor mounts, damper systems, etc., the original chassis and electronics end up being the heart of an expensive system, and I personally think it's worth it to have quality in there.

ray
2006.02.12, 06:05 PM
i just got my cousin to win a bid for me and him on the iwaver 04 (not sure if firelap or just iwaver) and i actually dont know the difference between the two, and unsure if i'm going to get the digital radio. But even if i dont i got it for $35AU anyway which is a bargain.

And one more question if i do get the digital radio will that work with my iwaver01, miniz f1, and my losi mini t???

cause the iwaver01's radio didnt work with the f1.

Thanks.

Mazda787b
2006.02.12, 09:07 PM
Yes, the digital Controller should work with everything you have.

joshsrchobbies
2006.02.13, 07:40 PM
heres a link to the kyosho mr-o2 chassis set only no radio included . I just bought one from here and love it .mr-02 chassis set only no radio link (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17203&cat=304&page=1)

Thanks,Josh

You will also need a auto scale for this .Or you can use a body you already have .

faydoiinspire
2006.02.13, 08:19 PM
I think buying the kyosho is the best bet. Like you said..just sell some of your kids. You dont want to risk buying one w/ electronics that might fail on you when you hit a wall.

Zephyr von Bobo
2006.02.22, 08:19 PM
I've been down this path before, and I'm gonna say you should save your pennies and get a Kyosho. If you really like tweaking and problem-solving, then a Firelap 2.0 might be ok, but if you want something that's great out of the box, get a Kyosho.

I have a Firelap 2.0, and it's running pretty good at the moment. However, the electronics are clearly inferior, and you can tell that by driving just a few laps. The granularity of the proportionality is half of Kyosho's, and you can feel it. Glitching and radio interference are common problems. Once you start buying motor mounts, damper systems, etc., the original chassis and electronics end up being the heart of an expensive system, and I personally think it's worth it to have quality in there.

Agreed. I had dissapointing results with xmod evos, now my buddies and I have wasted money on Iwavers that we can't get to work consistently, and now we don't have the money available to go the kyosho route. Best bet is to start with the known winner.

LowJacK
2006.03.01, 10:53 PM
Well seeing that no one is going to defend the Firelap 2.0 I guess I should say something.

I am new to the hobby, as you might have noticed that this is my first post, and decided on buying the Firelap as my first car. The reason was simple. Money. I had an itch that needed to be scratched and figured that this was the cheapest way to get into the game without cursing myself for a stupid purchase two months from now.

I race my car at work against two Kyosho MA-010's, a Kyosho MA-02, MA-01 and another buddy who bought the same Firelap 2.0 as myself, and I win my share of the races.

With that said, here is what I have noticed as far as differences. The Kyosho is a better quality product even though the Firelap is just as fast (all stock parts of course). The turning radius on the Kyosho's is far greater then that of the Firelap but is is more of a benefit then a hinderance for me. I make sure to set up for my corners properly where the Kyosho drivers try to make the turn to fast and sharp and always end up flipping their cars. I can't flip my car if I try.

Hypocrisy
2006.03.05, 01:15 PM
well the firelap02 is a good choice, but the chassis in the iw/FL02 is quite bad, it cracks quite easily, and the batterybars tends to get soft quite fast, which means that when you crash, the battery looses the connection.. but this is easily solved with a kyosho chassis. (about $6)
and a big bonus with the iw/FL cars is that you get a nice radio with it, digital. if you buy a kyosho then you`ll get a low budget radio with no feeling or functions, but you get a better quality car.

if you want to it the hard way and change chassis, you cant go wrong with the firelap! and when changing the chassis you`ll also get a good look how the car is built so it will be easier to tech anything that can go wrong in the future.

i would go for a firelap without a doupt...

MotorFX
2006.03.05, 08:00 PM
so between the iw02 and the mr02
the mr02 is much more superior
but since these cars wont stay "stock"
are they about the same hopped up?
i have a 3pj that controls my cars so im not so worried about that, im more worried of buying the cheaper iw/fl and gettin smoked by a mr02 that is hopped up as much as a iw/fl car

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated i know im not the 1st to ask the question and i wanna buy another car since my ma010 is all hopped up already, its time for a new project

thanx in advanced
-Coi-

AustinMini
2006.03.08, 07:15 AM
Just got my FL 2.0 in from TE just within a week. Must say I'm at this moment completely happy with what I bought. and even happier with the price :D
For now I'll stick with the FL.

Grtz

yamar6
2006.04.04, 09:36 PM
i have the iwaver 02 and i have no problems at all.i thought i did cause my front servo glitches a little. but my friends kyosho does the same thing.

AustinMini
2006.04.05, 04:51 PM
Mine does the same when I'm around my pc probably some static in the air.
When I'm downstairs no probs at all.

Grtz