PDA

View Full Version : My Mini-96

Spoon
2006.02.07, 11:02 PM
So I broke down and ordered "THE" mini-z hopup. I don't have much space to run so I chose a Mini-96.

I brought the box in the house and emptied the contents right away.

It took me almost an hour just to connect the straight rails to the track. Once I had that done, I started to lay the peices out to see what kind of layout I could fit in the living room. Two hours after opening the box I was ready to run.

It didn't take long before I started to make layout changes. After moving the couch, I was able to use all of the track and make the layout that's on all of the Mini-96 advertisements.

Here are some pics...enjoy.

Shaun
2006.02.07, 11:13 PM
I was just looking at the Mini-96 track. I have one Wide-L track that can get pretty boring. It's good for testing though.

How's racing on the Mini-96 track? 18" lanes! Looks like FUN!.......enjoy

saiyan
2006.02.07, 11:28 PM
Because i live in a townhouse i was originally gonna get the mini-96 myself, but after hooking up with other racers and running on antifatigue mats i realized that if there was gonna be more then 2 cars on it racing that a mini-96 wouldn't be wide enough. Then while i was paruzing the R/C section of a LHS i saw they had a box marked wide L, after inquiring about it the shop owner said it was baught for the sports bar next door to run races, but they descided not too. The LHS sold it to me for real cheap. I immediately took it over to the other guys in our club for 'testing' and have never looked back. Between 3 of us we have little more then 5 wide Ls and it's just awsome. I was thinking of still getting a mini-96 to run in my dinning room as a practice track though.

Mazda787b
2006.02.07, 11:38 PM
Very nice. I hate hard decisions.......I am contemplating a 2nd MR02 or a Mini-96.

Do you think it would be suitable for 2-3 cars to race on a track? I like tight racing, but I don't it to be just one big parade lap. :D

Spoon
2006.02.08, 07:14 AM
It's a really really narrow track. It took me several minutes before I could get around without hitting a wall. Right now I am a lot better with my stock AWD than I am with my fetted X-speed MR02.

It's only me right now but I guess you could get 2-3 racers on the course. Passes would be really tough.

It is difficult to use it for testing because I can't get my open car up to full speed yet. I could see how a Wide L would help with that.

I can give more info after I put a little more time in.

machine
2006.02.08, 09:48 AM
Looks like it's time to invest in the Mini-96 expansion set.

bolter9
2006.02.08, 10:46 AM
Give a couple of days- you'll be surprised at how soon you can get up to speed with 2-3 cars on the stock mini 96- guys will learn the lines and start making clean passes in the 60cm turns- it's pretty cool actually!

With the expansion kit, it's easier to run 3-5 cars, but keep in mind the expansion kit only expands about 50% of the track to 90cm.

Usually this isn't a problem though- just expand the straights and a few of the high speed corners- cars have to slow down enough for the chicanes anyway- it works fine to keep the tight corners 60cm- infact I prefer it that way as it adds more character to the track.

All in all, it's a fantastic home track- great for small club racing, and especially for personal practice if you race on a big club RCP track- you learn to take up a lot less space with your race lines on a full size RCP.

Wavy
2006.02.08, 12:07 PM
The mini-96 is a great track for small spaces, but very tight. You soon find yourself wanting wider lanes and longer straights. But if you order the expansion pack to get that, it takes up more room. I still think it's worth it, though. You can get more variety in less space than with the full-size track and going from 90cm to 60cm in the same track is pretty cool. At our LHS we race on about 9 wide L's and at home we practice on a mini-96 w/expansion pack. I much prefer the LHS setup, but the mini-96 was still a great investment for practice.

briankstan
2006.02.08, 01:00 PM
At our LHS we race on about 9 wide L's and at home we practice on a mini-96 w/expansion pack. I much prefer the LHS setup, but the mini-96 was still a great investment for practice.

Wow, 9 wide L's, that makes a huge track. I thought that I had alot with 5 wide L's, expansion, 2 45° section kits, and 6 wide inside corners.

When Z Zaniac and I add our tracks together we would have at least 9 wide L's, then the problem come up, where do we set up.... :eek:

Brian

Spoon
2006.02.08, 01:23 PM
9 L's is a ton of track. Not to mention that's almost $2000 worth of foam.

I am starting to get used to the small lanes but I can't even open up my stock car unless I am really paying attention. I can pin the throttle for about 1 second then it's throttle control around the entire course.

I may get an expansion pack at some point, but I am going to give it some time. We have a GTG this weekend. We'll see if the narrow practice carries over to the big track at higher speeds.

Allen1
2006.02.08, 03:40 PM
Nice track I have considered a small track for the house I dont really have the room for a larger one.

bolter9
2006.02.08, 03:44 PM
9 L's is a ton of track. Not to mention that's almost $2000 worth of foam.

I am starting to get used to the small lanes but I can't even open up my stock car unless I am really paying attention. I can pin the throttle for about 1 second then it's throttle control around the entire course.

I may get an expansion pack at some point, but I am going to give it some time. We have a GTG this weekend. We'll see if the narrow practice carries over to the big track at higher speeds.

with the expansion, you can widen the straights and the entry and exit corners into the straights- this lets you floor the throttle more, since you don't have to slow down as much for the turns.

Still, you won't be getting the kind of speeds you will on a large full-size RCP layout- the mini tile is definitely more focused on turns then speed.

arch2b
2006.02.08, 06:47 PM
congrats on your purchase :)

if it's any help, ccson practices on a mini 96 ;) and currently he's the hot one on our track. there is something too be said for practicing on a mini 96 and racing on wide l's...

if or when you have the time/space, the expansion pack is a worth it. space may be th eover riding factor.... it was for me.

Spoon
2006.02.14, 01:13 PM
Well, after one week I can get around the track pretty well. I am on my fourth layout and I think I am getting carpel tunnel in my left hand.

It took about a day to get used to the lane width, now videos of Wide tracks look HUGE! At first I was a little discouraged because I thought I would never be able to get around without some speed, but it's all good now.

If you are thinking about getting one, I say go for it. I really like the ability to make the different layouts in such a small space. You could probably race 3 cars on it before it got too crazy, haven't tried yet though.

If you are mostly going to drive by yourself, I think a lap timer is key. It provides a reference point and something to "race" against, which keeps it interesting.

I think my lap times on the Mini-96 are pretty close to what they would be on two wide L's. My best lap on the advertised Mini-96 track is about 6.3 seconds.

arch2b
2006.02.14, 07:08 PM
wait till you get back on the dc track;) it's going to be a new experience :p

Spoon
2006.02.14, 07:18 PM
wait till you get back on the dc track;) it's going to be a new experience :p

I hope so. I am going to need a lot more practice if I am going to win that MZM. :p

2EZ
2006.02.16, 11:03 AM
I hope so. I am going to need a lot more practice if I am going to win that MZM. :p

Driving on the Mini 96 makes you a better racer when on the wide track you will find the skills learned on the 96 will pay off But in no time you will want more track I have two Mini 96's and an expansion I do widen parts of it for more speed but keep a lot narrow. It seams that my friend DAMZer has no trouble passing me on the wide or narrow part!! The mini will teach you the skill needed to set the car up for tight curvey tracks if you can drive them the wide long tracks are a matter of applying the same skills with more room for mistakes! LOL!! Any practice makes you better!!!!

EMU
2006.03.30, 12:26 PM
Try contacting RCP directly to see if you can get a few tiles.

http://www.rcptracks.com/html/contact.html