PDA

View Full Version : Setups for two different track types

Wavy
2006.02.09, 08:00 PM
I have two modified MR-02 MM chassis' that I want to set up two different ways so I have one car that's good on high-speed tracks (more straights, fewer turns) and one car that's good for technical tracks (more turns, fewer long straights and sweepers). I plan to run an Enzo body for the high speed and a 94mm MM such as the 350z or 360 Modena for the technical track. (I prefer MM vs RM, even in the shorter wheelbase, so i use a ML pod and disk damper). I have a good idea on most of the componenets, but the one I'm not sure about is steering knuckle camber. I have two sets of alloy knuckles I want to use. One set is 1 degree and the other is 2 degree. My question is: which to use for the technical track and which for more high speed with big sweeping turns? I think I want the 2 degree knuckles on the more technical track, since they help with turning... but the turns will be made at a lower rate of speed due to the nature of the track. So, any ideas? We race on RCP with rubber tires.

briankstan
2006.02.10, 11:10 AM
I would go with the 1 knuckles for the high speed track and the 2 knuckles for the technical track. the 2 will be harder to control on the high speed striaghts. you could use the 1 for both setups and that would be good also.

front spring rates can make a different also between the two tracks in addition to the knuckles

SuperFly
2006.02.10, 01:40 PM
You might also consider putting a +1 steering plate in the fast track car. It makes the front wheels toe in, which provides more stability in a long straight at the expense of quickness of turning (which on a big sweeping track is less "twitchy"). Maybe slightly harder front tires on the fast track car as well.

Wavy
2006.02.12, 09:45 AM
Thanks. I have played with spring rates and I seem to do better with a softer spring up front and stiffer in the back. I imagine I'd want a little harder front springs for the high speed stuff and softer for more turning?

PTRacer
2006.02.15, 02:52 PM
I would go with the oposite as for camber...

On fast track's with high speed corners the car tends to roll more, so I would go with more camber.

On a tight technical track the 1 deg makes the car more reactive to steering input and more nimble thru the tight corners... overall it will give you a little more grip in the front.

But this is just my way of seing things, an tuning the car for my driving style... Just try both knuckles ant feel the diference ;)

Mojar7070
2006.02.17, 03:32 AM
What Suspension setup do plan to use in the rear?? Are you using Atomic Damper System or the Kyosho shock ones?? What type of T-plates are you planning to use??

What motors are you planning to run??

For Long straightaways use the Enzo Body. Low Center of Gravity, durable and has Wide body (more stable)

For the Technical setup the 360 Modena is a great choice and you said you want to use the Multi Length setup. Man, it's magic!! :D

kamikaze
2006.02.24, 10:28 PM
I would go with the oposite as for camber...

On fast track's with high speed corners the car tends to roll more, so I would go with more camber.

On a tight technical track the 1 deg makes the car more reactive to steering input and more nimble thru the tight corners... overall it will give you a little more grip in the front.

But this is just my way of seing things, an tuning the car for my driving style... Just try both knuckles ant feel the diference ;)

do you have any tips for xmods, because my xmod rolls over on almost every turn i make. i really dont have to go fast for it to roll over. :(

herman
2006.02.24, 11:50 PM
do you have any tips for xmods, because my xmod rolls over on almost every turn i make. i really dont have to go fast for it to roll over.
here's a tip... buy a mini-z... budum bum... but seriously folks... try going with harder tires in front... then rear... or try them both... hope this helps...

Mojar7070
2006.02.25, 12:40 AM
R U runnig on a RCP track or on the street or on wooden floors??

Xmods tend to roll over because of the high Center of gravity which is the result of the Battery layout and the overall design of the car. If you running on an RCP track I would take Herman's advice and the harder compound tires. Also throttle control around the corners help a lot too.

HammerZ
2006.02.25, 01:38 AM
An Xmods more than anything has a high CG from the body. All that extra plastic and screws for the body parts adds up quick. The front end alone is like a brick. Maybe try removing two screws that hold the hood on and see if that helps.

Another thing that can flip it, is if the front tires catch on the body as you turn. Very much like running a stick into the front spokes of a bike that is moving.

Last thing to try, is use harder tires. The soft ones can grab and toss the car right over.

This is about all my Xmods tips.

briankstan
2006.02.25, 01:59 AM
do you have any tips for xmods, because my xmod rolls over on almost every turn i make. i really dont have to go fast for it to roll over. :(

what I have done with mine is add the AWD kit to it. That helped more than anything. I'm running the stock tires that came with it (EVO) and they are pretty sticky. I still can roll it, but not very often. Other than That the only other thing I changes was I added bearings. I would still recomment the Mini-Z to you.

jaeneke
2006.02.25, 09:53 AM
we have a technical rcp track at our club and i use to drive 1 knuckles to...

i didn't catch up with the faster racers in the curves so i begon searching for my problem.
eventually the problem was the knuckles, i replaced them by stock ones(0) and now the car sticks tot the ground in the corners !!

i'll try to explain it in my best english ;-) :
the offset knuckles are only good for high speed cornering in that way that the car slightly 'tilts' and because the knuckles has off-set the wheels are flat on the ground surface while you do that high speed curve.

so in slow curves youre car can't tilt so the wheels need to be flat on the ground always !

Wavy
2006.02.25, 10:19 PM
I see what you're saying, but I'm talking about mod cars which carry a lot of speed into corners even off short straights. With the grip we're getting, I imagine the car does quite a bit of tilting.

jaeneke
2006.02.26, 04:14 AM
I see what you're saying, but I'm talking about mod cars which carry a lot of speed into corners even off short straights. With the grip we're getting, I imagine the car does quite a bit of tilting.

that depends on wich speed you enter a corner, whe have 1 very high speed corner at our track and all the other corners are not...

so if i use my 1 knuckles i noticed i only had advantage in that one fast corner ans in all the other corners i had lots of understeer...

so actually it depends on what kind of track you will be driving.

i think its best to try different set ups...

and if we think further the combination of tires and rear damper has an influance to ! so it could be that at my track i can't go fast with the 1 knuckles but maybe youre car can do a fast lap with those knuckles !