PDA

View Full Version : PN Speedy05BB vs SpeedyNM

Nightcargo
2006.02.10, 07:17 PM
Hey guys looking at the specs it is hard to determine which motor is the higher performer. Thanks in advance for the help!

byebye
2006.02.10, 08:04 PM
The NM is torqueir than the bb. I wasn't really impressed with the speedy. The NM for me is the hot motor.

-Byebye

Nightcargo
2006.02.11, 09:23 AM
Thanks ByeBye. That Evo you have is awesome. I'm painting up my STI right now. Will post soon!

Also sorry about the post, I thought I put it in the Motor Section.

rharris
2006.02.20, 01:21 AM
I just got a NM and put it in my F1. Before that I was running an x-speed.

The NM seemed slower so I put the car on a tamaya speed checker and found that is was a bit slower.

The torque is kicking the back end out and I'm having trouble hooking up out of the turns.

I liked the x-speed better, but I figure I'll get used to the NM once I figure out how to dial the car in to make the best use of it.

I wanted more torque becouse the F1 is so heavy.

byebye
2006.02.20, 03:04 AM
I just got a NM and put it in my F1. Before that I was running an x-speed.

The NM seemed slower so I put the car on a tamaya speed checker and found that is was a bit slower.

The torque is kicking the back end out and I'm having trouble hooking up out of the turns.

I liked the x-speed better, but I figure I'll get used to the NM once I figure out how to dial the car in to make the best use of it.

I wanted more torque becouse the F1 is so heavy.

The NM is a great stock FET motor. For me it's the best 1x1 FET motor. I've ran it in my stock OLPS car and was happy with the speed but it did seem a little slower. On the speed checker it is slower but it's a torque motor and with stock FETs it's a good short, twisty track motor.

What tires are you running on your F1?

-Byebye

rharris
2006.02.23, 02:09 AM
I was running the speedy(8t pinion) with the stock knuklers and tie rod with 30deg treaded fronts and 20deg treaded rears. I've got a kyosho diff and I've spent some time finding the rite setting.

It hooked up pretty good. It pushed a little too much in the corners. However the speedy took a while to wind up. So on a short track (like setup 1 and 2 of HFAY) it never really got up to speed.

Then, I hit the wall and broke the plastic steering knukler. So...

I put a 1deg toe out tie rod and a set of 1deg knuklers. I picked up the NM at the same time just to see if more torque would be better.

With the new setup, it seems to corner alot better. I'm guessing that the toe out combined with the camber is helping the front to stick so well now that the back can't push the front, and with more torque, I'm breaking traction in the back and spinning out. No amount of adjustment on the diff seems to help.

So... I've ordered some 10 treads for the back.

I like the NM. I picked up the Helios because I wanted to be able to adjust the throttle response. This weekend I'll be playing with the throttle accelerating settings. Should be fun. With luck the 10's will be in by then.

By the way, I had the same problem with the GT (may it rest in peace, cuz now it's in pieces...). All I did was put 1deg camber and poof, it started spinning out.

Mojar7070
2006.02.23, 09:50 AM
I was running the speedy(8t pinion) with the stock knuklers and tie rod with 30deg treaded fronts and 20deg treaded rears. I've got a kyosho diff and I've spent some time finding the rite setting.

It hooked up pretty good. It pushed a little too much in the corners. However the speedy took a while to wind up. So on a short track (like setup 1 and 2 of HFAY) it never really got up to speed.

I put a 1deg toe out tie rod and a set of 1deg knuklers. I picked up the NM at the same time just to see if more torque would be better.

With the new setup, it seems to corner alot better. I'm guessing that the toe out combined with the camber is helping the front to stick so well now that the back can't push the front, and with more torque, I'm breaking traction in the back and spinning out. No amount of adjustment on the diff seems to help.

I like the NM. I picked up the Helios because I wanted to be able to adjust the throttle response. This weekend I'll be playing with the throttle accelerating settings. Should be fun. With luck the 10's will be in by then.

By the way, I had the same problem with the GT (may it rest in peace, cuz now it's in pieces...). All I did was put 1deg camber and poof, it started spinning out.

Which body and chassis setup are you running??

briankstan
2006.02.23, 10:26 AM

the 1 knuckles will improve the steering response. I like a 1 toe in (-1) on the steering bar (tie rod) it provides good steering response without sacrificing straight away stability.

I haven't run with the NM, but I have run the speedy05 on a very large track and it handled great with GPM 8's in the back and 10's in the front. I'm sure on a smaller track a motor with more torque will help as long as you can get the traction needed to keep the back end from spinning out.

you might want to go with some GPM 15's in the front, and possibly a less stiff front spring. Usually when you spin out it is because you are getting more grip in the front than the rear, so I would build in a little push.

rharris
2006.02.23, 12:27 PM
The f1 was running the dhl body.

The 02 is a (was a) Ford GT MM and had GPM 15's on the front and 8's on the back.

I've got a mclarin comming in the mail. The GT had an agument with a foot, and the foot won. We now have a golden rule at the track. Thou shall not step on the track.

Mojar7070
2006.02.23, 12:47 PM
The f1 was running the dhl body.

The 02 is a (was a) Ford GT MM and had GPM 15's on the front and 8's on the back.

I've got a mclarin comming in the mail. The GT had an agument with a foot, and the foot won. We now have a golden rule at the track. Thou shall not step on the track.

Haha, in addition to that rule, no children running anywhere close to where the track is. :D I haven't tried out the GT body, looks interesting though. The McLaren is probably the best handling MM car that i've tried. 15degree fronts is a little too much steering for me, i'd rather have the car pushing a little bit. 8degree rears is a must. 20's work only if the track is brand new.

rharris
2006.02.23, 03:00 PM
the track is well worn. I got it from a LHS that didn't want it anymore. Here is a pic of my son unloading the truck of boxes. We have a lot of (read way more then we can use) track.

The GT body is cool. It looks awesome on the track. The big white line down the middle is like an arrow pointing the way. The front tires stick out a bit. That with the shape of the nose tend to flip the car over if you hit the wall.

Mojar7070
2006.02.23, 03:52 PM
Wow, that looks like it's a big track. How big is it?? Your LHS just gave it to you or you bought it from them??

The GT body has the problem like the Mustang GT. The stock wheels stick out and the tire will come off everytime you hit the barrier. Some racer i've seen use zero offset wheels, even though it might look kinda wierd with the wheel so far in the wheel well.

rharris
2006.02.23, 08:58 PM
Some of the track we will never use. I have 100 or so tiles of off road track. But I don't have the pins, just the tiles and side rails. I wrote in asking RCP to sell me some pins, but they haven't told me how much yet.

As for road track, I have over 300 tiles. It's like having 7 big l's.

The LHS got the track from RCP to put on a show at the Anaheim Convention Center in O.C. California last year. (October?).

They used to have it set up in the shop, but there wasn't enought interest. There are so many good road and dirt tracks in this part of California that most guy's are not into the small scale.

I went to the LHS looking for a place to race my new mini-z. When I found out they had put the track in storage I found the owner and asked him "How much?".

He looked at me kinda funny and told me "I would only be interested in selling the whole thing, I don't want to sell just part of it.".

So I say... "uh huh... How much?".

Then he takes me up stairs to this little room that is full of boxes. "Here it is.. You still want it?". Trying to contain my emotion... "sure... how much?".

LOL... he finally let it go for pretty cheep. He needed the room, and I had an idea to start a car club.

Now he gives the kids a discount for buying stuff at his store, and our little club is the talk of the store.

I sold off some of it to a few friends to keep my personal cost down, and I still have 300 tiles left. And the up side is, if we want to do something HUGE, they can bring thier stuff over. To bad I don't have the room to set it all up.

Check out the pics of our first "Track Day" after I got the track. Keep in mind that this is only about half of what we have.

arch2b
2006.02.23, 09:04 PM
i must have atleast 1 whole bag of pins. email me and we will work it out. all i would need is for you to cover shipping (really cheap as they weight little to nothing).

rharris
2006.02.23, 09:05 PM
We set this one up the very next sunday. We forgot to take pics (something that happens alot).

This was a fast track. We put the striat going down the hill. That's 26 feet down hill.

rharris
2006.02.23, 09:08 PM
i must have atleast 1 whole bag of pins. email me and we will work it out. all i would need is for you to cover shipping (really cheap as they weight little to nothing).

Cool!!!. I've been wanting to add a "Dirt" section. Some of the kids are showing up with Xmods that look like they could handle it. And I need a good reason to buy a overlander... :D

herman
2006.02.23, 10:40 PM
I sold off some of it to a few friends to keep my personal cost down, and I still have 300 tiles left. And the up side is, if we want to do something HUGE, they can bring thier stuff over. To bad I don't have the room to set it all up.
you darn lucky dawg... i've been for ages looking to get a track over here in the philippines... hope you would't mind doing a deal with a certified mini-z nut? i've got a cousin in l.a. hopefully we can make a deal through him... please please send me an email.... hmc_jr@yahoo.com and cool cool track!!!