PDA

View Full Version : Arizona OLPS and HFAY races

saiyan
2006.02.12, 11:42 PM
Okay this is a little late to start this thread since we just finished our Febuary OLPS races. But i figuer this will help keep our local threads from being cluttered.

This months OLPS was a carbon copy from the last one i belive where i got 2nd in the 1st race and 1st in the 2nd race. I liked going the direction of the 1st race better, but i guess i was faster racing it in reverse. The best thing about the last 2 OLPS race events is that we're back to the original core 4 guys. I would like to have more guys (and girls) involved in our club, but racing with 4 is way better then 3.

The current racers involved in the MiniAZ OLPS and HFAY races are:

Dustyweasel
Digitalmafia
Dink
Saiyan

I don't remember what the current points standing is so maybe if Dusty wants he can post that info.

I was able to improve my HFAY times for both the stock and F1 classes. The first time i ran my F1 i did about 15 laps then right into the HFAY so my time was really low and was able to improve on it this time by like a minute. My MR02 is really working well for me and has givin me some confidence in my racing skills. I may try and set some times on track #3 with my AWD as well and see wich chassis is faster for me.

I know we have another guy who has some Zs and is definately wanting to race with us as soon as his schedual allows. We also have 2 other guys who want to race with us when their schedual allows so that could get us 3 more potential racer for a total of 7 and possibly an 8th if Dusty's wife could be talked into racing too. She just needs to get some track time and build up her confidence to compete with us. The next GTG will be for our AZGT series in 2 weeks so then 2 weeks after that we'll run the March OLPS and set some HFAY times for track #3.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.06, 10:01 PM
The March OLPS is coming up this weekend, Sunday the 12th. Since we donít need much room for that and itís supposed to be cool out, weíll meet at my house again. (Not many cool days left to take advantage of the garage :cool: ).

Mini-AZ fell just outside the points in February, so we need to step up our game. Hereís my plan: Iíll open the track up Saturday afternoon for practice, HFAY runs, and any fun racing that should happen. With plenty of time for tuning and practice to get our cars and driving styles dialed in, Sunday we'll be in the points! :D

Hope to see you all there.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.11, 04:32 PM
The track will be open about 4pm today (Saturday) for practice and HFAY runs. Official race set for tomorrow.

March OLPS, Sunday the 12th at my house.

11:00-12:00 Practice
12:00-12:30 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
12:30-1:00 Clockwise OLPS
1:00-1:30 Lunch and/or Practice
1:30-2:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
2:00-2:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
2:30-*:** HFAY Track #3 Time Trials

saiyan
2006.03.11, 11:21 PM
Ya i was planning to get some practice in, but Andrea hasn't been home tonight and i would then need to bring Tauren with me and i figuer with the cold air and all the rain it might be asking for trouble. I'll be there tomarrow though, i've got all my batteries charged up. :D

will3kgt
2006.03.12, 12:51 AM
What's up Mini-AZ,
I'm going to be in Arizona to get a little golf in this week, if you guys are racing this Saturday let me know and I'll pack my Z's with the golf clubs.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.12, 03:26 AM
Hey will2kgt! Weíd be glad to have you join us. (Since it's already the end of Saturday, I assume you mean Sunday. Or do you mean next Saturday the 25th?)

You may be out of luck on the Golf this week. We just snapped a record setting 143 day rainless streak, and as one weather man put it- ďWe didnít just break the record, we smashed it over the headĒ. Heck, itís reportedly snowing just north of my house, which is quite a rare thing.

Our Golf courses seem pretty popular. Lots of sunny days I suppose. The closest Iíve been to Golf was as grip on a video shoot at The Phoenician Resort. Fancy place. I nearly got clocked in the head by a ball. Someone said Ďlook out!í, I looked up, the camera man knocked me down, and the ball crashed right by where I was standing. Fun game you got there. :D

Come to think of it one of our drivers, Dink, is big into Golf.

We will be racing on Sunday the 12th (today), since the track fits inside my nice, dry garage. Weíll be running both races for the March OLPS. Are you in on that series? Weíll also do HFAY runs for track #3.

Iím going to send you an e-mail with contact info through this site. You can also contact Digital Mafia through www.Mini-AZ.com for specific information.

Hope to see you here.

Edit: Ok, looks like I can't send you an e-mail through here. You'll have to contact DM through Mini-AZ then, or send me an e-mail through here.

will3kgt
2006.03.12, 05:33 AM
I'll be in town on Saturday the 25th. I am in the HFAY series, I'm ranked 18 in the standings. (It will be lower after my showing on Friday. :( ) I'd love to race with you guys if you're doing anything on the 25th. Good luck on your races.

mini-z
2006.03.12, 03:23 PM
This reminded me that I'll be in AZ this summer I think - how far are you away from Sedona?

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.14, 01:24 AM
Well, we couldnít even muster three drivers on Sunday, so weíll have to reschedule the March OLPS. Saiyan, was Dink covered in mud? Digital Mafia, we havenít heard a peep. You out there?

This weekend just became an extended test session. Saiyan and I ran a whole bunch of 3min races and tuned on our cars, which was pretty fun just the same.

Saturday night I worked out a good setup- at 45deg and raining. :)
Sunday morning was 49deg and sunny- setup went out the window. :rolleyes:
Iím using Rufís setup sheets to log changes and track times. Invaluable stuff to track your changes.

We captured some HFAY times too, Iíll be sending those up soon.

Will3kgt, what time would you be available on Saturday? We usually race around 11:00am-3:00pm (or 5, or 6, etc). I have plenty of Core Tags if you need one.

Since we missed running the OLPS last weekend, and shouldnít risk waiting until the end of the month, we pretty much have to do it this weekend. Even though youíve already scored your points this month with the AA crew, I believe itís still legal for you to be on track as a non-scoring car. In fact, since youíre above us in points, youíll probably help our game!

Mini-Z, I think itís about a three hour drive down hill from Sedona. Heck of a lot cooler up there though. Itíd be great if you could join us.

Iíll be in England all of May. I need to hook up with ByeBye and the Stafford racers so I can get my May OLPS points. Itís getting to be an exchange driver program around here. :D

briankstan
2006.03.14, 08:34 AM
I believe itís still legal for you to be on track as a non-scoring car. In fact, since youíre above us in points, youíll probably help our game!

Iíll be in England all of May. I need to hook up with ByeBye and the Stafford racers so I can get my May OLPS points. Itís getting to be an exchange driver program around here. :D

the three car minimum rule is in place to eliminate solo runs and institute some traffic and passing skills. even if two or even 1 car is being scored, three cars have to be racing together for the run to be legal.

Mini-Z Driver Exchange program. that's a interesting ideal.

byebye
2006.03.14, 01:59 PM
England in May Dusty? I'll put it on my schedule! You'll have to make the visit!

-Byebye

saiyan
2006.03.14, 06:11 PM
Ya Dink tried to get his Toyota 4x4 stuck several times from what i hear. He was trying to get tothe top of Four Peaks, and it was so muddy he couldn't get up there. He could see it from where he ended up turning around at, but i guess it was just to dangerous and since his truck is still new he didn't feel like denting it yet.

will3kgt
2006.03.15, 12:06 AM
Well, we couldnít even muster three drivers on Sunday, so weíll have to reschedule the March OLPS. Saiyan, was Dink covered in mud? Digital Mafia, we havenít heard a peep. You out there?

This weekend just became an extended test session. Saiyan and I ran a whole bunch of 3min races and tuned on our cars, which was pretty fun just the same.

Saturday night I worked out a good setup- at 45deg and raining. :)
Sunday morning was 49deg and sunny- setup went out the window. :rolleyes:
Iím using Rufís setup sheets to log changes and track times. Invaluable stuff to track your changes.

We captured some HFAY times too, Iíll be sending those up soon.

Will3kgt, what time would you be available on Saturday? We usually race around 11:00am-3:00pm (or 5, or 6, etc). I have plenty of Core Tags if you need one.

Since we missed running the OLPS last weekend, and shouldnít risk waiting until the end of the month, we pretty much have to do it this weekend. Even though youíve already scored your points this month with the AA crew, I believe itís still legal for you to be on track as a non-scoring car. In fact, since youíre above us in points, youíll probably help our game!

Mini-Z, I think itís about a three hour drive down hill from Sedona. Heck of a lot cooler up there though. Itíd be great if you could join us.

Guys, I'm going to be in town on the 18th of March. I'll send you an Email soon to see if we can possibly hook up. I think my buddy picked up two tickets to the Safeway Golf Tournament. Just let me know what's going down this weekend.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.16, 01:00 AM
Will3kgt, I looked up the location for the Golf tournament and wow, itís about exactly the farthest point in the valley from my house. Itíll be about an hour drive from there, Iím waaay at the North end at 35th Ave and Deer Valley.

The upside is its pretty much all freeway. Take care on the Loop 101- They just installed photo radar, so donít speed and be ready to dodge when people jam on their brakes because the camera flashed.

Near as I can tell, it looks like the tournament wraps up around 3:30, is that right?

I think thisíll workout- Weíll hold the OLPS on Saturday night instead of Sunday afternoon. Maybe the new guy at the Toyota dealership thatís been wanting to join will be able to make it. Saiyan, you think Todd would be willing to run Saturday night after doing 1:10 during the day?

March OLPS, Saturday the 18th at my house. Racing under the lights!

5:00-5:30 Clockwise Practice
5:30-6:00 Clockwise Qualifying
6:00-6:30 Clockwise OLPS
6:30-7:00 Counterclockwise Practice
7:00-7:30 Counterclockwise Qualifying
7:30-8:00 Counterclockwise OLPS
8:00-*:** HFAY Track #3 Time Trials

ByeBye, Iím looking forward to racing with you guys. Do you know what day youíre all running the May OLPS? My Wife and I are taking our decade overdue honeymoon there and weíll have to nudge our wanderings to be in that vicinity then.

Hey Brian, if I score my points in England, do they apply to Stafford or Mini-AZ for the Club Championship points?

will3kgt
2006.03.17, 12:35 AM
Hey guys, I just got off the phone with my buddy and we have plans to go to golfing on Saturday..We're gonna try to make it. I'll send you an Email to get a phone # for directions. I'm leaving at 3:20pm tommorow.

saiyan
2006.03.17, 12:48 AM
Well if it becomes a conflict in time, perhaps we could do the usuall Sunday run. When are you leaving Phoenix?

briankstan
2006.03.17, 08:54 AM
Hey Brian, if I score my points in England, do they apply to Stafford or Mini-AZ for the Club Championship points?

They will count towards the Mini-AZ club points.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.18, 01:07 PM
Will3kgt, I got your phone message, but you didnít leave a number so I canít call you back. Since you got my number I assume you reached Digital Mafia through Mini-AZ.com. Iíll contact him to call you. Go ahead and call me back though, just in case.

The race is 5pm today. Hope to see you here.

Thanks Brian, I agree thatís the best way to handle Ďtraveling pointsí.

will3kgt
2006.03.18, 11:27 PM
Sorry I didn't leave you a phone # I assumed you had caller ID. I was at the Raven golf course today...(I sucked) It was very windy today and the course is quite challenging. I plan on going to the Safeway tournament tommorow. So if you guys are still racing in the evening I'd like to run, I've got my whole arsenal here.....Incuding the MAMBA-Z. I'll try to give you a call right now.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.19, 12:10 AM
Ok, confusing day of scheduling. We only go to run the Clockwise OLPS today and put down some HFAY times, which Iíll upload soon (and the ones from last week that I forgot to do).

The plan was to run the Counterclockwise OLPS tomorrow, but after talking to Dink I decided to put it off until next Sunday. That way he can make it and DM will have more notice. I trust Saiyan can make it.

Iím leaving the track setup until tomorrow night anyway, so if anyone wants to come by and race or HFAY, come on over anytime after noon-ish.

BrianMidnight
2006.03.19, 05:36 AM
Dusty you and your family will be most welcome here in Stafford for the May races they will be held on a Sunday.........we'll let u pick which one. We will then book the venue for that date. Give it some thought and let us know which Sunday fits best with your travel plans.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.20, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately we only got the Clockwise race in for the March OLPS. Weíre going to try yet again this weekend to get the Counterclockwise round done. Weíll get this thing in yet.

The Porsche image is Dink making a 180deg turn during Saturday's OLPS. He's quick.

I have a bunch of HFAY times to sort through and upload, including a few new times. Iíll get to that shortly. I improved my times greatly, but not enough to advance.

Will3kgt of the Ann Arbor racers and his Phoenix friend were able to make it over Sunday evening after the Golf Tournament. Sadly none of the other Mini-AZ gang were able to make it, but we still had a lot of fun.

He showed me the MAMBA-Z heís been working on. The street in front of my house is reasonably smooth and gravel free so he was able to open it up and that thing is a rocket ship. Watch out 1:10 racers, this thing will zip past and snap up the lead.

Will3kgt's friend picked up a controller and gave Mini-Zís a try. Not bad for his first time at the controls. Iíll be sending in HFAY time for him under the moniker ďFast TurtleĒ. He was getting the hang of the Murcielago and we hope to see him at Mini-AZ some time.

After some HFAY for 02 and F1 we ran a few 5min races. Just look at the graph (AA_FunRun.jpg)! That was some exciting racing, and surprisingly clean given how close it was, though one bit of body work did fly off.

You may have seen pictures of Will3kgtís duo-tone Enzo, but itís hard for a still image to do it justice. I shot some video of it running under the lights and did some Photoshop Ninja stuff to composite together a single shot. This should give you an idea of what it looks like going around the track.

BRIANMIDNITE, thanks. My wife has the itinerary figured out, Iíve been so busy with work I donít even know where weíre going when we get there. Iíll go over the schedule with her and figure out a day. Thanks again, I look forward to racing with you guys.

will3kgt
2006.03.22, 06:00 PM
Fastturtle and I had a great time at DustyWeasle's. Thanks for having us and we appreciate your hospitality. I wish I was able to charge batteries at one amp as opposed to whatever my crappy X-Mod charger does. Dusty W gave us a time trial clinic as my MR-02/w 01 board had it's troubles with its bad setup. (I'll try it again at the Ann Arbor race this Friday after Onrailz gives his most trusted opinion on how I should set the car up.) I'm also going to need 20 tires in the front of my F1 as it was pushing on corners.

I was really glad to get the Mamba-z out there I wish we could've got video footage but it was too dark...When I opened it up, it diappeared into the darkness within two seconds so I had to be careful. I've already talked to Sonicfury and we plan on shooting some movie footage soon....(By the way I had the Mamba on it's lowest setting. :D )

Anyway, upon my return home, I had a 4 hour layover in Detriot :rolleyes: Guess what I did to pass the time....Ran my Mini-zs! A bunch of people who passed by asked me where I got them and how much they go for. I scared one lady with my Z because she thought it was a mouse. Needless to say the time flew by....A great time was had by all.

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.24, 11:15 PM
Thatís cool Will, Iím surprised airport security let you have the radio out. Airports have great carpets for carpet racing. Come to think of it, did you have any security problems with the Zís? Iíll be hauling some gear with me to England, donít wanna miss the flight because of a TX in my luggage.

After you left I switched batteries with the set on the table and the car went fast. So it turns out I did put the discharged batteries right back in the car rather than the new set. Doh! :p

Mini-AZ- OLPS #5 is in the books, but we have OLPS #6 still to run before the end of the month, so hereís the schedule. Saiyan has to work and it'll be a short schedule anyway, so our usual start time is moved out later:

Sunday 26th at my house:
(Track will be pre-assembled)
2:00-3:00 Track Opens/Practice
3:00-3:30 Counterclockwise Qualifying
3:30-4:00 Counterclockwise OLPS
4:00-*:** HFAY Track #3/Fun Runs

will3kgt
2006.03.26, 12:17 AM
I did get stopped in the PHX airport. When they pulled out my screwdriver I thought I was going to miss my flight for sure. However, the guy checking my stuff obviously was into R/Cs also because he asked me a bunch of questions about my X-Ray M-18 and my Mamba-Z rather than grilling me about the screwdriver and my wirecutters. He was amazed that I was able to put a brushless motor in a mini-z. He told me he did a lot of dirt racing and told me to look him up next time I'm in town.
I don't reccomend you bringing your mini-z on your flight to England with you. Your best bet is to check it in. If you do, just get to the airport early. I'm glad I had mine with during my four hour layover in Detriot. Good luck racing on Sunday, I hope Fastturtle makes it out if he can. (I think he's golfing tommorow.)

byebye
2006.03.26, 12:58 AM
I brought all my stuff that I race with. 3 radios, 6 cars and all my spares. They will probably open it up without you knowing but I doubt they will cut anything or take anything apart. In Germany they x-ray it while waiting in line for check-in. I got stopped thier because of a batt charger(didn't have z's with me). If you want you can mail them to me if you will be in London or even to Brian in Stafford. When ever you decide to come out and know the weekend you are gonna race, let us know.

-Byebye

byebye
2006.03.26, 01:00 AM
@DW-You have email disabled. Shoot me an email through the forum. We can talk about what you may or may not need to bring.

-Byebye

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.26, 02:19 AM
(Oops, my e-mail was disabled. Itís open now)

I thought all that radio gear might turn the heads of a screener or two. Good to know in advance.

Thanks ByeBye. I think Iíll just bring it with me, maybe tool around at the hotels too. Iíll check it in with the bags. Good thinking on the bag checkers opening things, Iíll have to clearly label ďThis Side UpĒ on the pit box full of small, loose parts.

My plan is to only bring the McLaren LM, radio, and a smaller essentials pit box. Maybe my Kimi F1. Is there much F1 action at Stafford?

I still havenít had time to sit down with the wife and figure out a May race day. Since Stafford is in the middle of England weíre leaning toward the second Sunday, but I want to nail down our route for sure first.

Well, I just finished setting up HFAY #3 for the fourth time this month (Iíve got the track map memorized now). Remember how cold it was last week, Will3kgt? Tomorrow is projected to be around 85deg. My GPM 8ís are going to melt.

I gave the track a test run with the Murcielago and it felt a little odd, then I started hearing a scraping sound. Turns out the screws holding the T-Plate to the motor mount had backed half way out. So, Fast Turtle did better than he appeared last weekend since the motor pod was falling off. :eek:

BrianMidnight
2006.03.27, 03:15 PM
(Oops, my e-mail was disabled. Itís open now)

My plan is to only bring the McLaren LM, radio, and a smaller essentials pit box. Maybe my Kimi F1. Is there much F1 action at Stafford :eek:

Just to wet your appetite Dusty we've got 9 racers with F1's . Below are the various tt times showing we have fast guys and not so fast guys. Bring yours and maybe we'll have 10 racers on a 5 wide L layout in May. Our HFAY Sunday runs from 1300hrs til 2200hrs but it flys by.We race the OLPS & TT towards the end of the day.

hfay tt track 3 F1 - 20060319
Course: HFAY #3, Lap Limit: 50,
Rank Laps Time Name Car
1 50 4:46. bye-bye f1 jordan dhl
2 50 4:55. mad max f1 williams bmw
3 50 5:14. Wolfie f1 jordan dhl
4 50 5:28. rocket rich f1 ferrari
5 50 5:42. jonny f1 2003 ferrari
6 50 6:05. bond power f1 jordan dhl
7 50 6:37. Drew f1 jordan dhl

Dusty Weasle
2006.04.08, 05:25 AM
Ok then, my garage it is. The forecast is for 90deg, so yeah, if Dink could bring the A/C unit thatíd help.

April OLPS, Sunday the 9th at Dusty's house. This is a new layout none of us has run yet. Gonna be fun.

(Track will be pre-assembled)
11:00-12:00 Clockwise Practice
12:00-12:30 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
12:30-1:00 Clockwise OLPS
1:00-1:30 Lunch and/or Counterclockwise Practice
1:30-2:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
2:00-2:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
2:30-*:** HFAY Track #4 Time Trials

Dusty Weasle
2006.04.08, 05:42 AM
Brianmidnite, wow! Ten F1ís going around the trackÖ wellÖ itís been a dream of mineÖ :D Weíre a small club here and four cars is a crowded day. Iím definitely bringing the F1 then. You guys do seem to like the Jordan and Ferrari. Iíll be there with my pal Kimi (see pic), and the Silver Bullet- McLaren F1 LM.

The wife finally looked the map over and said we anticipate being in the Stafford region on the weekend of Sunday the 7th. (I still donít even know exactly where weíre going on this trip).

will3kgt
2006.04.09, 02:31 AM
Hope you're having fun on the other side of the pond. Good luck racing over there.

BrianMidnight
2006.04.09, 05:28 PM
Brianmidnite, wow! Ten F1ís going around the trackÖ wellÖ itís been a dream of mineÖ :D Weíre a small club here and four cars is a crowded day. Iím definitely bringing the F1 then. You guys do seem to like the Jordan and Ferrari. Iíll be there with my pal Kimi (see pic), and the Silver Bullet- McLaren F1 LM.

The wife finally looked the map over and said we anticipate being in the Stafford region on the weekend of Sunday the 7th. (I still donít even know exactly where weíre going on this trip).

Arranging a venue for Sunday 7th Dusty.....Looking forward to meeting you we've pulled our April HFAY forward a week to the 23rd to give us a fortnight in between events. Just got back from tonite GTG we raced with 6 F1's so with byebye sheila drew jonny & gina plus yourself on the 7th we should muster ten.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.03, 02:28 AM
Hey Mini-AZ, Iím back from the island! We had a great time, seems like only a week went by. One month is not enough, England is bigger than it looks on a map.

Sorry you guys didnít get to race. It was fun at Stafford, but the different weather rendered my reliable Ďol Silver Bullet setup moot. I got it drivable by the Counterclockwise race though and racked up some points.

The highlight though was a field of ten F1ís running around a big track. Wow. :D

Well, after a long hiatus its time to start planning for the next race. OLPS rounds 11 & 12 are the last races of Season 1. Can everyone make it Sunday the 11th? Since Todd is out I suppose we donít need to stick to Sundays, but I figure that lets you guys do 1:10 also. We can switch back to Saturdays though if everyone would rather that.

Letís get this scheduled up very early though so weíre not trying to organize the night before. Saiyan, whatís the status of the new clubhouse? If we canít get that weíll need to go to Dinkís shop. At 112deg itís too hot in my garage, though if we raced at night it would be manageable if uncomfortable.

If we can secure a large location, we can plan for the final AZGT on the 24th or 25th. The trophies are here waiting for owners.

I sent another message to the community center to see if theyíve discussed hosting the club yet. I havenít talked to Ron at Speed Sports since I got back but I sent him information on Zís and our equipment. I might take my 1:14 Carisma F1 out there tomorrow evening. Theyíre racing in the parking lot every Saturday now (35th Ave and Thunderbird).

My batteries are cycling on the charger now (and I have Dinkís new charger for him). Let me know when/where we can race.

arch2b
2006.06.03, 09:36 AM
off topic, how do you like your carisma f1? i just bought a carisma 1/14 touring car and f1 for less than $100 any tips or tricks?

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.03, 09:37 PM
The 1:14 Carisma cars are fun beginner cars. I have two of the F1ís (Williams and McLaren). $100 for two is a screaming deal as they retail pretty universally for $99ea.

They are very durable cars. I was running them in the dusty parking garage at work and planted them into concrete columns several times with no ill effect (a lot of 1:1 cars have done the same, terrible garage design).

It took months of car-to-car and car-to-concrete collisions before they were damaged. Despite that they are still running with glued-back-together parts. In fact, Iím heading out to race one of them tonight.

My only complaint would be that the F1ís are wicked loose under hard acceleration or even mild braking. There are limited adjustments and hop-ups available. Having decided to put the money into Mini-Zís, Iím running box stock except front spring adjustments.

To correct the loose condition I put hard springs up front. This helped, but at full speed the front end would hop causing a spin. I also tried moving the read damper mount forward to preload the spring less. That helped too but I discovered the T-Plated flexed so much it bottomed out constantly. The ball diff would probably go a long way to helping with the acceleration spinouts.

Iíve found maintenance to be easy and parts fit together well. The stock diff housing is excellent and keeps the mechanism clean (but the chassis sounds like a maraca after filling with parking lot gravel). There was no notch on the motor shaft for the pinion screw to be tightened on. I found out after a collision caused my motor to suddenly spin freely.

The cars ride very low and the underside takes a beating quickly on asphalt. Iíve had the on/off switch smashed into the chassis, but it was easy to get inside and fix. Runs terrific on short carpet.

The tires are very soft and will wear down quickly, which I think is adding to my spin-under-any-condition problem. They have foam inserts inside, but you have to glue the tire to the rim so itís not easy to change. Fortunately the parts are inexpensive.

For tracks I used the 5in Losi Corner Dots (about 80 of them) for boundaries and a bunch of 10in plastic camping plates for corners. You need about 50+ft for your fastest straightaway.

Last year I tried rubber cement to affix the tire to the rim so it would be easy to change. It didnít work. I raced it at an event on the first day of 110deg heat (much like today). I was flying around the track and in the lead, when suddenly the tire went rolling away to run its own race!

Gasp! What to do? I didnít know how much of a lead I had, but I wasnít going to give it up. Onward I charge, coaxing my limping F1 around the orange cones to the sound of grinding plastic.

Across the finish lineÖ I won by one solitary lapÖ and the rim looked like it had been through a cheese graderÖ but I won.

(And got a $5 coupon for the hobby shop) :rolleyes:

saiyan
2006.06.04, 12:35 PM
:) Hey dusty glad you had fun out there :cool: . I was dissapointed that we didn't get to race race the OLPS/HFAY for May, but i could not get ahold of Digitalmafia and figuered he was just busy with the new house ;) . Anyway the clubhouse here at the new apartments on Thunderbird and 30th ave are available most of the time, but we should nail down a time soon so that i can make sure it is reserved for us. It's smaller then what we're used to and has a set up that may not let us set up a huge course. I would suggest that we arrange a time to have you come over so that you can check it out and get some area dimensions so that you can biuld a track layout to maximize the space. Roughly it's about 30' x 25' space, but there is a bar area and another countertop thingy that cuts into that. LMK and we can access it when ever.

With the divorce and all you will have to call me on my cell to get ahold of me. I will try and check out the site here and this thread in particular every couple of days or so, but this terminal is in the "tech room" here at the apartments near the clubhouse area and is not my own personal computer. Hopefully in the next month or so i can get another one for my self as the ex is apparently wanting to keep the other one :( .

Give me a call to set up a time for you to meet me here to check out the clubhouse.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.07, 02:32 AM
Saiyan is securing the new clubhouse, located conveniently closer to all of us. The new site is next to Fryís near I-17 and Thunderbird. So this week its air conditioning for everyone!

The final round of the inaugural OLPS season will be held this Saturday the 10th at the new clubhouse. Saiyan will give us specific directions soon.

June OLPS
11:00-12:00 Track Setup and Open Practice
12:00-12:30 Clockwise Practice
12:30-1:00 Tech and Clockwise Qualifying
1:00-1:30 Clockwise OLPS
1:30-2:30 Lunch and/or Counterclockwise Practice
2:30-3:00 Counterclockwise Qualifying
3:00-3:30 Counterclockwise OLPS
3:30-*:** HFAY Track #6 Time Trials

Iím still pursuing the city community center for sponsoring the club but have not received an answer yet.

And while at the outdoor racing last Saturday at Speed Sports, I talked to a couple 1:10 guys who expressed interest in 1:28. Particularly the part about air conditioning, as the sun had long set but it was still in the mid-90ís. :cool:

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.08, 04:59 PM
Saiyan has to work Saturday so we are moving the June OLPS to Sunday the 11th. Times the same as before.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.11, 05:43 PM
Well, due to a mix-up at the clubhouse weíre postponing the June OLPS until next Saturday the 17th. The clubhouse management scheduled us for next month rather than today. :mad: I think we should have crashed the birthday parting going on there. What kid wouldn't want a full blown R/C race at their party? :D

I sent a follow up e-mail to the Community Center about hosting the club but still have not heard back from them. Iím going to send the proposal directly to the Mayor next to see if The Man can put some leverage into this and get us a permanent home.

Saiyan went to talk to Speed Sports about running a small track there. An OLPS track might not fit, but thereís room for more than a Wide L. If we could run there, walk-ins would try it out which could help grow the club.

Any of you readers have a hobby shop, gaming store, or some such business in Phoenix? I WILL FREAKINí PAY YOU TO RACE AT YOUR PLACE! PAAAAAY YOOOOU! I WILL BRING MY TRACK AND LAP COUNTER! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I donít know why this is so difficult in a place where itís over 100deg much of the year. Sunset? Ha! Itís still 90-100deg at midnight. We recently had a boom in Go-Kart tracks and theyíre indoors. Youíd think indoor R/C racing would be a no brainer here, but its all 1:10, outdoors (mostly), and far away in the East valley.

Ok, I feel better now. :)

will3kgt
2006.06.11, 11:46 PM
Good luck with securing a spot for racing this summer Dusty. I hope to see your club grow. Your summer there are just as extreme as our winters here in MI.

briankstan
2006.06.12, 08:19 AM
I feel your pain. although for our club it's the Winter that brings the difficulties. We have been growing and have currently grown out of being able to use a garage. 12 to 15 people just won't fit with the track and pit tables.

I have been trying to get a indoor location for over a year, but I keep looking.

I hope you have better luck than I did. I also sent a letter to my city mayor, and he refered me to the Parks and Rec. and they don't want to respond... aaaahhhhh...the run around. Gotta love it NOT!!

saiyan
2006.06.13, 03:58 PM
Well some potentially good news is that the AMF bowling alley accross the street might be willing to let us hold the races in there extra room that looks to be about 20'x20'. The manager on duty needs to talk to the "big boss" and will let me know if it's a go. I figuer this would be a good back up venue incase there is scheduling issues again. The clubhouse would make a better venue though cuase it's bigger and would be much quieter then listening to bowling balls slap wood and pins. ;) There would be easy access to bathrooms and coffee as well as the main pool with a juccuzzi here at the clubhouse. I'm trying to set it up that we get the clubhouse 2 week-ends a month and hopefully it will be discounted. I'll let everyone know what's up as i find out the info. I will be securing the clubhouse for this saturday unless we need to do it on sunday.

imxlr8ed
2006.06.13, 04:41 PM
Start the letters with... "Hi, I voted for you and I think your one of the greatest mayors this city has ever had !" (even if the guy is currently under some kinda federal investigation for stealing from the city.) :rolleyes: j/k

It's great that you guys are trying those routes... keep floating those emails ! be so annoying to them, they'll have to give you what you want to shut you up ! (kinda like what Andy did in Shawshank Redemption, only you're not in prison :D )

(yes... that movie is one of my favs :cool: )

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.15, 04:43 AM
Ok, trying again:

The final round of the inaugural OLPS season will be held this Saturday the 17th at the new clubhouse. Saiyan will give us specific directions soon.

June OLPS

Some good news coming finally, sort of. I heard back from the Community Center. They said given their busy Summer schedule they want to wait until the Fall before doing an R/C club, but they will be in touch with me about it. So, itís a ways off, but we may get in.

I also talked to Ron at Speed Sports and he said heís interested in carrying Mini-Z stuff. In fact he was in contact with Kyosho to get F1ís but they didnít have any for him!

Iíll talk to the powers-that-be at work to try and wrangle our big conference room. A big room for free would be great. Due to security though I doubt we can swing it. Weíll see.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.15, 11:26 PM
Can I scream yet? I just found out the clubhouse is booked for Saturday again, so we are racing Sunday the 18th. (Trying to rent space week to week is frustrating, but we may have a permanent home later in the year).

Same times as listed before.

The clubhouse is at Sterling Park Apartments behind Fryís Electronics at I-17 and Thunderbird. From Thunderbird turn South on 30th Ave between Fryís and Loweís. The apartments are at the end of the drive. The clubhouse is at the front attached to the office.

Hooray! A short drive to the track! :D

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.18, 01:41 PM
Well this is embarrassing. I was just informed we donít have the location after all. Now we have to wait until 1:00 for the office to open and fill out paperworkÖ We should have the site by 2:00Ö I could have slept in.

An alternate being checked is to see if Speed Sports will let us run in the store today, which would be great really. The open space at the front of the store is just big enough for todayís track layout.

Iíll post here again when we know which location. With the delay Iíd imagine the new start time will be 2-ish at either place. Sorry about the confusion. Iím about ready to just rent a damn building myself. It shouldnít be this difficult to give somebody money.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.18, 05:27 PM
Exasperation, exasperation!

Ok, the paperwork trail and residency requirements would leave us getting the new clubhouse at 4pm, too late on a Sunday. Weíve been contacting other sites- Hotels, libraries, even Peter Piper PizzaÖ no luck.

This used to easy(ish). Iím about ready to throw away my retirement fund and open a building.

The hotel conference room is a possibility, but we wonít know until Monday. The Community Center is interested, but wonít do it until the Fall.

Well, sorry to anyone that made the trek out there for nothing. I didnít even find out until I was loading the car to leave. Weíll try again next week, the rental glitches should be worked out by then. Somebody has to take our money for a room.

In fact, next weekend is our last chance to run the June OLPS to score our points, so we'll run in my garage if we have to. Somebody bring a portable A/C.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.21, 02:47 AM
I have a plan to eliminate the location renting problems that have plagued us lately:

Mini-AZ meets will be scheduled every other Sunday at my house. If we can secure an air conditioned location then weíll move it there, but it will happen as scheduled.

I figure thereís one building that I control, so I can always guarantee a place for us to race. Last Sunday after we canceled I went into the garage and it didnít seem that horribly hot. There are a couple people with portable A/C units as well, so that would be a big help.

In a perfect world weíll have a large and cooled location consistently rented. But in a pinch weíll use my garage, the heat be damned.

So, once more unto the breach- This is our last opportunity to run the June OLPS and get our points. Saiyan, please try and get the clubhouse again. Whatís the word on the hotel conference room?

June OLPS, Sunday the 25th at Dustyís house (unless we secure a better location). Send me a PM if you need directions.

June OLPS

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.24, 12:37 AM
Just an update. We should know by tomorrow if we can finally get the clubhouse at 30th Ave and Thunderbird.

One of our members works at a plumbing company and can let us use the large warehouse floor. Since my garage is very hot and his office is cooled, we will probably run there if we canít get the clubhouse.

The catch is itís a lot farther away, Broadway and the 101. While itís easy to get to on the 101, itís a long drive (for me anyway). I hope that wonít be a problem for anyone that wanted to come by.

Iíll post here with updates as I get them.

Dusty Weasle
2006.06.24, 07:06 PM
June OLPS Race, Sunday the 24th location:
RainForest Plumbing Works
1701 S. Indian Bend, #108
Times as listed previously

It comes up a little odd on Google because the building is owned by Wolff Mechanical, so click on that location.

Exit the 101 at Broadway. Loop it around onto the North bound access road and take the first right. Cross the street and keep going straight to the building directly ahead.

Sorry about the huge shift in distance, but itís a necessary evil given the heat. Starting July 8th we should be back at the north end of town.

The OK News:
We will be racing in a warehouse with evap cooling instead of my stiflingly hot garage. With the forecast for tomorrow being 111deg and the humidity rising, it was just looking untenable. Iíd be afraid of cooking the laptop.

If we could have gotten a portable A/C unit in my garage it would have helped, but we would have had to close it up and then there wouldnít be much space. The track pretty much takes up the whole thing.

The Great News:
We still canít give the clubhouse money, go figure. They lose our business now. But the F.O.P. Lodge at 19th Ave and Thunderbird has a hall big enough and for a reasonable price, so the plan is to race there starting in July.

Their Sundays are booked for Bingo though, so we will have to switch to Saturdays. Iíll post the schedules as they develop.

Dusty Weasle
2006.07.04, 12:03 AM
We held the June race at Dinkís warehouse office and it went off great. A little warm with the humidity overpowering the swamp cooler, but it worked well. Despite metal pipes, shelves, and framework, there was even less glitching than normal. And the smooth concrete floor made for fun drifting of 1:28 and 1:10 afterward.

Mini-AZ was fortunate to welcome two new drivers to the group, Hood and Joe. Welcome aboard guys. These are 1:10 and 1:4 scale experienced racers and judging from their performance running Zís for the first time, I expect weíll see them challenge for the OLPS lead.

We also have several more drivers from the local 1:10 scene who are interested in checking out what 1:28 has to offer, so Mini-AZ stands to grow significantly in the near future.

And so begins Season 2!
July OLPS
Saturday July 8th
Location TBA (see below*)

3:30-*:** HFAY Track #1 Time Trials

*Unfortunately the F.O.P. Lodge was booked solid for the next couple weeks, so weíre still in the hunt for a race location. Thereís a chance we may be able to use some floor space at my office, if not weíll have to use the warehouse at Baseline and the 101 again. I should know Wednesday-ish.

But the good news- The Lodge is rented and waiting for us on the 22nd for Mini-AZís local series, the season finale 1 hour Le Mans/100 lap Sprint (so we can finally get this thing run :rolleyes: ). So itís 19th Ave and Cactus for the near future.

Dusty Weasle
2006.07.06, 11:59 PM
Location Set!

Weíve secured an air conditioned indoor place to race this Saturday (just in time).

The Amercian Legion hall on the NW corner of 35th Ave and Thunderbird, across the street from Speed Sports. Itís in the strip of buildings back behind Jack in the Box/Checker Auto.

3534 W Calavar Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85053

The only catch is on refreshments- They said you can bring your own food but they want you to buy drinks from them. There may be an issue with kids on-site as well, not sure. I'll have to check tomorrow. Probably because there is a bar in the next room.

If you have any 1:18 bring it on out too, we'll give it a whirl on the RCP track.

Times are as listed in the previous post. Hope to see Ďya all there!