PDA

View Full Version : Whats the next best AWD upgrade

faydoiinspire
2006.02.15, 10:13 PM
Okay guys, I have the AWD xspeed motor, bearings, drift tires and a upgraded antenna for the AWD. Whats the next best hop up I can add (that dosnt require me to modify the board).

and...I know this is a stupid question, but I always wondered how much money have you guys spent on this hobby already. I probably spent over $700 and I only have 2 cars. Some of you guys have like 5...maybe 10 mini z's. Have you guys spent a few thousand already?

Sasquatch
2006.02.15, 10:34 PM
I would go for some camber knuckles and a tie-rod set. Also a spring set will help fine tune your settings.

byebye
2006.02.16, 02:13 AM
Okay guys, I have the AWD xspeed motor, bearings, drift tires and a upgraded antenna for the AWD. Whats the next best hop up I can add (that dosnt require me to modify the board).

and...I know this is a stupid question, but I always wondered how much money have you guys spent on this hobby already. I probably spent over $700 and I only have 2 cars. Some of you guys have like 5...maybe 10 mini z's. Have you guys spent a few thousand already?

Your next upgrade always depends on what you are wanting to do with it. If it's just drifting I would recommend a FET upgrade but of course you said no mods to the board. IMO you already have the best upgrades for the FUN factor except a FET upgrade. For durability there is always the alloy drive parts.

I don't remember what body you are running but another option for "next best hop up" would be a cool custom painted drift body.

-Byebye

HammerZ
2006.02.16, 08:12 AM

From last summer till now at the Tiny RC shop alone (not including other shops) I have spent very close to that $700. I have added two cars to my lineup in that time, and my Overland that came from another source, so isn't a part of the $700 equation (I did buy a few parts for it from here). This is mostly for repair parts to keep them going, with a few hopups here and there. All together I have a total of eight Mini Z's and a few other cars. They are all operational. When you have multiple cars it adds up quick.

Spoon
2006.02.16, 11:03 AM
Yeah...my wife and I were having a party at our house and we were talking about using the basement for overflow space...Here's how the conversation went down.

ME: "Ok, I'll just have to move my Mini-Z stuff out of the way."
HER: "Oh no, it looks cool (re: my workbench) you could just keep it there"
ME: "I don't really want to deal with someone at our party messing up one of my $200 cars" (A purposfully conservative estimate)
HER: "THOSE CARS ARE $200 DOLLARS EACH!?"
ME: (sheepishly) "Well, yeah, you know, with all of the hopups and stuff...I couldn't sell them for that much, but that's what it would cost to replace them...blah blah blah"

I would be so lucky if each of the cars were only $200 a piece. With 3 active race vehichles (MR02, MA010 and F1) + 1 project Overland I don't really want to think about what I have put into each of them.

Anyway, I think the next best hopup is a track. Unfortunately, it's going to be really hard to drift on a Mini-96, so maybe a Wide L. If you are looking for something smaller scale, I second byebye's recommendation of a drift body.

jaeneke
2006.02.16, 01:44 PM
alloy drive train, titanium center shaft and/or a bleu/gray chassis with gold contacts !

and i spend about 200$ every month on my miniZ's...
i think i'm pushing the 3000$ in total right now...(and no i am not proud of that, a good hobby is expensive and i'm racing "(semi)proffesional"cars)