PDA

View Full Version : cell phone lithiums

hybrid_liter
2006.02.20, 07:43 PM
i tried a search but wasnt too succesful...but has anyone every messed with using cellphone lithium batteries on mini-zs or xmods. i made a lithium kit from the new motorolla batteries but when i give it full throttle it really spins then suddenly stop. i think it has something to do with the discharge rate on cellphone batteries. i work at cingular so thats how i have a couple of different cell batteries lying around. any input will be appreciated.

lot49gp
2006.02.20, 11:06 PM
You beat me to the punch. I wanted to ask the same question.

When my f1 arrives I have a couple batts that I think will fit. Very flat. How many batts did you use and what was their voltage? Mine are 3.7 li-po.

hybrid_liter
2006.02.20, 11:37 PM
You beat me to the punch. I wanted to ask the same question.

When my f1 arrives I have a couple batts that I think will fit. Very flat. How many batts did you use and what was their voltage? Mine are 3.7 li-po.

mine are two 3.7 v li-poly Out of motorola V400. I think the batteries are made to discharge for a long duration at that high of a rate, that is why they stopped on me at times.

El Tigre
2006.02.21, 06:11 AM
mine are two 3.7 v li-poly Out of motorola V400. I think the batteries are made to discharge for a long duration at that high of a rate, that is why they stopped on me at times.

Open the cases to the batteries and remove the charge/overcharge board and solder the two together. I did this once, it worked, but my charger was not up to the task of charging. Becareful though, Lithiums dont like to be fully discharged or over charged, it caused the battery to swell till they burst.

lot49gp
2006.02.21, 08:34 AM
Open the cases to the batteries and remove the charge/overcharge board and solder the two together. I did this once, it worked, but my charger was not up to the task of charging. Becareful though, Lithiums dont like to be fully discharged or over charged, it caused the battery to swell till they burst.

This sounds dangerous. It also defeats using the phone as the recharger which is what I intended. Or did you save the charge/overcharge board for a recharging harness?

El Tigre
2006.02.21, 11:09 AM
No, the board was useless, it allows the battery to eek out the charge stored in the battery, not to mention it would not allow you to solder in series. I used a Moto spn battery.

bcuzau
2006.02.21, 08:56 PM
are they putting LiPoly batts in cell phones now?.. Most of my cell phones have Li Ion.

lot49gp
2006.02.21, 10:24 PM
are they putting LiPoly batts in cell phones now?.. Most of my cell phones have Li Ion.

Wow, I feel silly now. ^^^^ he's right! Li-ion not li-po. At least for my batteries.

hybrid_liter
2006.02.22, 02:16 AM
Wow, I feel silly now. ^^^^ he's right! Li-ion not li-po. At least for my batteries.
you are right they are not polymer lithium :)

Whitie
2006.02.22, 02:34 AM
I actualy wired a Nokia 3380 Ni-mh cell phone batter in series with my stock 4 AAA's on my Xmod and it worked great, it reduced the run-time a little but was still pretty fast. Ive seen people use nothing but the cell phone batteries but its insufficient for run-time and is all around inconvinient.