PDA

View Full Version : MM dampers?

AMelendrez
2006.03.01, 07:23 PM
What is the point of the MM rear damper? Is it worth it?

Mojar7070
2006.03.01, 07:58 PM
Which damper system or you referring to?? The Atomic Damper Plate System, the Top Shock Dampers, Side Dampers?? Either way all of the are worth buying. They make the car handle better.

I would research and then invest in an The Atomic Damper Plate System. :)

AMelendrez
2006.03.02, 12:54 AM
Which damper system or you referring to?? The Atomic Damper Plate System, the Top Shock Dampers, Side Dampers?? Either way all of the are worth buying. They make the car handle better.

I would research and then invest in an The Atomic Damper Plate System. :)

Thanks man for the advice.

rharris
2006.03.02, 01:32 AM
I was looking into the PN Racing Multi Length Disk Damper. I figured if I got that plus the PN Motor Mount, then I could put on different bodies.

But, before I get one. I wanted to know what is the difference between a disk damper and a side damper system.

And the first question was... is it worth it.

What will the dampers change in the way the car handles? How exactly? What benifit will I see in cornering, or corner speed, or ...?

I've been searching the forms, and sorry if this has been answered someplace else, but I can't seem to find the basic discussion on the difference between Disk Dampers and side dampers.

Can anyone point me to the correct thread? If not, does anyone know of a good article that explains the pro's and con's of each type of damper?

Thanks

Mojar7070
2006.03.02, 11:03 AM
I was looking into the PN Racing Multi Length Disk Damper. I figured if I got that plus the PN Motor Mount, then I could put on different bodies.

The PN multi mount is a great buy. You can adjust the Damper Disk to fit any MM Body or RM body.

But, before I get one. I wanted to know what is the difference between a disk damper and a side damper system.

The Disk Damper controls both side to side and up and down motion of the rear assembly. The side Dampers "supposedly" controls only side to side movement.

And the first question was... is it worth it.

Yes.

What will the dampers change in the way the car handles? How exactly? What benifit will I see in cornering, or corner speed, or ...?

When you use the Disk Damper the movement of the rear is more fluid and effecient. This means that you will not lose any traction on the rear wheels(depending on setup) so can corner better and handle the car more easily. Also there is less parts to install meaning less weight and less friction.

On the side dampers the shock sometimes bind and even on the softest springs you use the move of the rear is small compared to the Disk Damper. This results in the traction of the rear wheel diminishing and spinning out. In addition, there are more parts to install meaning more weight.

There really isn't a bigger difference speed, it's more on handling and cornering ability, but if you factor in a "Hot" motor then being able to control the car will be crucial.

Hope this helps. :) This is just what I found using both Disk Damper and Side Damper. If any1 whats to add anything or comment you're more than welcome.

rharris
2006.03.02, 06:16 PM
Awsome!! That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks.

herman
2006.03.03, 12:58 AM
hmm on my most recent trip to h.k. (click on link), disk damper suspensions / somtimes disc plate suspensions are the in thing on the track... it's the way to go if you're into serious racing... but for simple running the car around the house/grarage... you can always keep it stock...

here's the link...
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20945

just wish i took more pics of their cars...

MagicMan
2006.03.09, 07:44 PM
Yes, PN multi-length damper is the best bang for its buck, I recommend not using a top-shock with it, disk dampening is all you need to rid of any bounce or mild flipping problems on turns. If you still flip, then let your rear tires break in.

On RM setups, I go nothing but Kyosho. I've tried so many RM dampers, and they all have too much flex, or no dampening. The Kyosho Carbon Fiber one makes your car feel 90% MM. and with a RM turn-in, you can't go wrong. :D

EMU
2006.03.09, 11:34 PM
The 3Racing damper is good for the money. For $10, it will work on any chassis configuration (86mm RM to 106mm MM). While it is not the best damper, it is still fairly good, and has average disc damper performance.

The PN ML damper has better dampening, but limits you to either 94mm MM or 98mm MM. I prefer the PN ML to the Atomic dampers.

I agree with Magic, for RM, and even MM setups, the Kyosho damper is great. There is alot more tunability with it than most of the other disc dampers.

neweraz84
2006.05.15, 05:45 PM
anyone kno how well the iwaver MM dampers work? they were pretty cheap, i gotta see if they still have any in stock at *******.

EMU
2006.05.15, 11:34 PM
I assume that you are talking about the spring dampers. I never really liked the spring/roll dampers much. I feel that they are not as good as the disc dampers. And with disc dampers available under $20, there is really no need to go for a spring damper. PN is going to be releasing a disc damper combined with roll shocks.

SuperFly
2006.05.22, 04:40 PM
I have the iWaver MM spring damper thingy, and it's as good as any other spring damper thingy, which is to say it sucks compared to a disk damper.

In addition to weighing more, you can't get any of the parts that wear out/break individually. The screws that hold it together WILL fall out if you don't use thread-lock stuff, which makes binding a distinct possibility. Not to mention the total pain in the butt spring dampers create any time you need to disassemble the back end. I will never buy another spring dampening system. Simplicity rules when it comes to suspension parts.