PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting range problem

SuperFly
2006.03.06, 03:18 PM
I recently did a 2x2 FET install on a Firelap 2.0 board, and for whatever reason, my range is now about 12 inches.

I'm not sure what the result of an antenna shorting on a battery terminal, so I guess that's a possibility.

The weird thing is that the board seems to function just fine within 12 inches.

I've tried every possible antenna location and triple-checked the antenna wire for integrety, so that's not the problem.

I also tried a different controller and different crystal sets with the same results.

Any suggestions?

El Tigre
2006.03.07, 06:12 AM
It sounds like its toast, but were the batteries installed when you did the FET's? If so, that was a disaster waiting to happen. If anyone else reads this, remove all batteries and use a static strap when soldering PCB's. If you discharge the static that is built up on your body, through the circuit board , you can damage it severely.

EMU
2006.03.07, 02:28 PM
Iwaver/Firelap PCB's tend to do that, regardless of the FET modification. I have had 3 Iwavers lose their range for no reason whatsoever. I would use better electronics.

SuperFly
2006.03.07, 06:01 PM
Yeah, that's about what I figured. I always take the batteries out when soldering anything, and while I do use a wrist strap when working on computer stuff, I never thought to use one for working on Mini-Zs. I guess I figured the electronics weren't that sensitive.

I realize the electronics are way inferior, and I firmly believe in the superiority of Kyosho, however it is fun to get an iWaver/Firelap actually running well. I ordered a replacement board, but it's mystifying what happened. Nothing looks burnt, and I can't imagine how I might have shorted anything. Oh well.