PDA

View Full Version : Pointers on Racer etiquette, and just things to know

ARN
2006.03.07, 04:02 PM
I needed to get a document together to help some of our less experienced drivers.
Ive read some threads talking about this and borrowed some points...
Here is what I have so far...would you like to add to it?

Pointers on Racer etiquette, and just things to know:

Keep your language in-check, children are in attendance!
Never criticize a turn marshal.
Do not touch other peoples stuff at anytime, stay away from a drivers pit if they are not present.
If and when holding cars never ever-ever touch the tires.
During practice sessions you should drive reserved, keep a good distance from other cars on the track.
Do not stop your car anywhere on the track that it may be liable to a collision from on-coming traffic on the track. There will be an established area on the track for drop-off / pick-up.
If you wreck, wait for traffic to pass before backing up from the rail, re-join without causing a collision with others.
Be ready for your race, prepare early.
When turn marshalling, always give right away to the racers running, never stand on track surface, use the edges, try to stay out of drivers views best as possible, and move at a controllable speed !!!…we don’t want a turn marshal to fall down and causing injury to themselves, cars, or the track…
It is important to acknowledge when you unintentionally bash other racers.
If you have stopped or crashed in the straight away for some reason…call out “straightaway” to warn others that your car is there.
When you experience mechanical problems, you should have your car pulled off the coarse…if you are intent on staying out for any reason you should not affect any others race in anyway.
Never walk in-between the driverstand and the track during practice or racing. This is no mans land! Always enter & leave driverstand from behind drivers.

Mojar7070
2006.03.07, 04:22 PM
Thank you!! Thank you!! THANK YOU!! for posting these rules and regualtions about racing. The younger racers tend to drive pretty crazy and stay on the throttle the whole track and just crash into everything. :rolleyes:

So to all new racers out there, please read carefully the Rules and Regulations listed above and happy racing. :D

bolter9
2006.03.07, 05:03 PM
I think you could simplify with:

1. Be respectful of others in your language, attitude and driving.
2. Don't reverse into oncoming traffic.
3. Strive to pass cleanly.
4. Don't handle other people's equipment without permission.
5. Come prepared (nobody likes a mooch).

Probably be a bit easier for the noobs to remember, and it gives you a broader "interpretation" when calling someone on an infraction- without having to outline every single rule people come up with.

saiyan
2006.03.07, 07:28 PM
You forgot the most important rule of all. " Have fun racing and help others to have fun. " Without it, it's just like work.....stressfull, anoying and fustrating.

All of us strive for perfection in our racing, but it should not be at the cost of other racers. Politeness and generally keeping your cool is the biggest factor in how well a race event goes.

I wish a few of the guys i race with in 1:10 would follow this. Every week-end i think 1 of them is gonna have a brain hemorage or stroke from stressin out so much. And a few guys think that they have the line and that it should always be theirs no matter the situation. If they're so good and so much faster then they should be able to get around lap traffic with out cussing or tapping the other guy into the wall. Rubbin is racin, but attitudes should be left at home.

ARN
2006.03.07, 07:34 PM
I think you could simplify with:

1. Be respectful of others in your language, attitude and driving.
2. Don't reverse into oncoming traffic.
3. Strive to pass cleanly.
4. Don't handle other people's equipment without permission.
5. Come prepared (nobody likes a mooch).

Probably be a bit easier for the noobs to remember, and it gives you a broader "interpretation" when calling someone on an infraction- without having to outline every single rule people come up with.

good input, it will be assimilated...lol

ARN
2006.03.07, 07:35 PM
Thank you!! Thank you!! THANK YOU!! for posting these rules and regualtions about racing. The younger racers tend to drive pretty crazy and stay on the throttle the whole track and just crash into everything. :rolleyes:

So to all new racers out there, please read carefully the Rules and Regulations listed above and happy racing. :D

these aint rules...just pointers for newbes, and anyone in need of re-training...lol

ARN
2006.03.07, 07:37 PM
You forgot the most important rule of all. " Have fun racing and help others to have fun. " Without it, it's just like work.....stressfull, anoying and fustrating.

All of us strive for perfection in our racing, but it should not be at the cost of other racers. Politeness and generally keeping your cool is the biggest factor in how well a race event goes.

I wish a few of the guys i race with in 1:10 would follow this. Every week-end i think 1 of them is gonna have a brain hemorage or stroke from stressin out so much. And a few guys think that they have the line and that it should always be theirs no matter the situation. If they're so good and so much faster then they should be able to get around lap traffic with out cussing or tapping the other guy into the wall. Rubbin is racin, but attitudes should be left at home.

yet another reason i left 10th scale! :D

and yes, number one is have fun

ARN
2006.03.07, 07:57 PM
edited:
still open for suggestions.

Pointers on Racer etiquette, and just things to know:

• Be respectful of others in your language, attitude and driving.
• Never criticize a turn marshal.
• Do not handle other people's equipment without permission at anytime, stay away from a drivers pit if they are not present.
• If and when holding cars never ever-ever touch the tires.
• During practice sessions you should drive reserved, keep a good distance from other cars on the track.
• Strive to pass or be passed cleanly always ;-)
• Do not stop your car anywhere on the track that it may be liable to a collision from on-coming traffic on the track. There will be an established area on the track for drop-off / pick-up.
• If you wreck, don't reverse into oncoming traffic, wait for traffic to pass before backing up from the rail, re-join without causing a collision with others.
• Come prepared (nobody likes a mooch).
• Be ready for your race or heat, nobody should have to wait to race.
• When turn marshalling, always give right away to the racers running, never stand on track surface, use the edges, try to stay out of drivers views best as possible, and move at a controllable speed !!!…we don’t want a turn marshal to fall down and causing injury to themselves, cars, or the track…
• It is important to acknowledge when you unintentionally bash other racers.
• If you have stopped or crashed in the straight away for some reason…call out “straightaway” to warn others that your car is there.
• When you experience mechanical problems, you should have your car pulled off the coarse…if you are intent on staying out for any reason you should not affect any others race in anyway.
• Never walk in-between the driverstand and the track during practice or racing. This is no mans land! Always enter & leave driverstand from behind drivers.

bolter9
2006.03.07, 08:23 PM
edited:

• Do not handle other people's equipment without permission at anytime, stay away from a drivers pit if they are not present.

:D This one is the best!

to quote Beavis and Butthead "you can spank your own monkey, but keep your damn hands off mine!!"

Spoon
2006.03.07, 08:31 PM
:D This one is the best!

to quote Beavis and Butthead "you can spank your own monkey, but keep your damn hands off mine!!"

It doesn't really apply here but one of my favorite B&B quotes is "You can't polish a turd Beavis"

The list looks great. It's a good reference for newbs and seasoned veterens alike. I think once they read these, additional courtesies(sp?) will come with common sense.

Wavy
2006.03.07, 11:14 PM
One of my biggest pet peaves is people standing with just their toes on the track. On an RCP, they stand on the gray rail with about an inch of toe over it. Twice I've lost parts because of this. I broke a mirror off once and a spoiler another time. I don't ride the rails, but I get close to them and it really sucks to hear a "click" as you hit someone's shoe. If you're marshalling or observing, stay off the track unless you're fixing a car, and then make sure nobody's coming!

ARN
2006.03.07, 11:23 PM
well if anyone wants to e-me for a copy, feel free...you will probably find it on Brians site, im going to ask him to add a link for my write ups...and im sure he would like others too join in...

z.zaniac@bresnan.net

EMU
2006.03.08, 01:57 PM
Nice work Z Zaniac.

Another thing that may be good to add, is that nobody likes to race with somebody who allways complains when there is a problem with the car or bumping during the race (this is very common with younger drivers). So try to be quiet during the race, and complain afterwards (if you want)... messing up your own race is one thing, messing up everyones race is not appreciated.

Be ready to race when your heat/main is called. Do not make a large change to your car right before your heat/main. Odds are you will run into an issue that will make it take longer, and you will either delay the heat/main or miss it.

If there are people noticeably faster on the track than you, give them a little more of the line and let them pass cleanly. This will make it better for both of you. If you fight to hold him behind you, it will make him push to pass, which may end up in a collision that takes you both out. You would not be expected to pull over to the outside of a turn, just a couple inches to give them enough room to pass on the inside without losing much speed.

ARN
2006.03.08, 02:26 PM
EMU, you will be assimilated! lol...
i will add your thoughts as well, thanks...i will up date and repost soon...

bolter9
2006.03.08, 02:43 PM
If you're being lapped, let the leader through.

They do this in Formula 1 and other race series- the backmarkers are "supposed" to let the leaders go by.

EMU
2006.03.08, 02:49 PM
Yes, but alot of the time they dont... :rolleyes:

briankstan
2006.03.08, 03:00 PM
Aaron, when this list is completed e-mail it to me and I'll get it on the website.

Great stuff so far. Keep the info comming.

bolter9
2006.03.08, 05:54 PM
Yes, but alot of the time they dont... :rolleyes:

ain't that the truth...

arch2b
2006.03.08, 07:43 PM
ain't that the truth...
younger drivers seem to have a harder time 'letting' the leaders pass. it's something i have lots of experience doing though :o

ARN
2006.03.08, 11:44 PM
here is the final draft...unless something needs fix'in....

ARN
2006.03.08, 11:48 PM
i made some minor wording changes..here it is again...

Pointers on Racer etiquette, and just things to know.

This is a correlation of many opinions and points from racers of the mini-z community. For the beginner to those who just need to be reminded..;-)
Remember the one thing that’s most important is to enjoy this sport and the people that share your enthusiasm of RC Racing!

• Never lose your temper at yourself or others, it brings everyone down.
• When holding any car, never ever-ever touch the tires.
• During practice sessions you should drive reserved, keep a good distance from other cars on the track.
• Strive to pass cleanly or to be passed cleanly.
• Do not stop your car anywhere on the track that it may be liable to a collision from on-coming traffic on the track. There will be an established area on the track for drop-off / pick-up.
• If you wreck, don't reverse into oncoming traffic, wait for traffic to pass before backing up from the rail, re-join without causing a collision.
• Come prepared with everything you will need.
• Be ready for your race or heat, nobody should have to wait to start a race.
• Do not use up pit space, there is no reason someone should ask you to size down.
• Bring your own power cords and power strips.
• Always bring a pit towel to protect surfaces provided to racers.
• When you are turn marshalling, always give rightaway to the racers running, stand on the tracks edges not the surface. Try to stay out of driver’s views best as possible, and move at a controllable speed !!!…we don’t want a turn marshal to fall down and causing injury to themselves, cars, or the track…
• It is important to acknowledge when you unintentionally bash into other cars on the track.
• If you have stopped or crashed in the straight away for some reason…call out “straightaway” to warn others that your car is there.
• When you experience mechanical problems, you should have your car pulled off the coarse…if you are intent on completing the race as is; you should not affect any other driver’s race in anyway. if you leave the driverstand to go fix your car, do it without interruption to your fellow racers.
• Never walk in-between the driverstand and the track during practice or racing. This is no mans land! Always enter & leave driverstand from behind drivers.
• If you’re having a bad day, don’t ruin it for everybody else.

imxlr8ed
2006.03.09, 11:12 AM
I do agree with letting leaders by, but only within reason. If a driver is only 1 or 2 laps down, I don't expect him to get out of my way, I expect him to run as hard as possible to stay ahead... if he's hard for me to pass, he's gonna be just as tough to pass for the guy behind me.

The reason alot of real racers allow leaders by is due to the fact that, if there is an accident, they just don't wreck into a very forgiving 4 foot high foam wall with their unbreakable race cars... if they wreck, the consequences are obviously more dire ! Mini-Zs are obviously not going to fly apart every time there is a light collision, or a big-time smack into a barrier. Usually, you just get your bearings, and roll back into the race.

To treat every touch, and tough traffic situation as though it was the end of the world is ridiculous to me... they're just little plastic cars ! (I find repeating this last part in my head during a race can be quite relaxing ! :rolleyes: )

I feel that if a driver can maintain a good line, and is close to the average speed, I'll battle to get ahead for a few laps, but if the driver is 4 or 5 laps down, totally off the pace, and swerving like a madman... he should realize this, and stay off the tighter apex. If the track hog can't stay out of my way... I'm gonna kick his sorry freekin.... they're just little plastic cars... they're just little plastic cars... there just little plastic cars... ahhhhhhh... :rolleyes:

ARN
2006.03.09, 11:28 AM
I do agree with letting leaders by, but only within reason. If a driver is only 1 or 2 laps down, I don't expect him to get out of my way, I expect him to run as hard as possible to stay ahead... if he's hard for me to pass, he's gonna be just as tough to pass for the guy behind me.

The reason alot of real racers allow leaders by is due to the fact that, if there is an accident, they just don't wreck into a very forgiving 4 foot high foam wall with their unbreakable race cars... if they wreck, the consequences are obviously more dire ! Mini-Zs are obviously not going to fly apart every time there is a light collision, or a big-time smack into a barrier. Usually, you just get your bearings, and roll back into the race.

To treat every touch, and tough traffic situation as though it was the end of the world is ridiculous to me... they're just little plastic cars ! (I find repeating this last part in my head during a race can be quite relaxing ! :rolleyes: )

I feel that if a driver can maintain a good line, and is close to the average speed, I'll battle to get ahead for a few laps, but if the driver is 4 or 5 laps down, totally off the pace, and swerving like a madman... he should realize this, and stay off the tighter apex. If the track hog can't stay out of my way... I'm gonna kick his sorry freekin.... they're just little plastic cars... they're just little plastic cars... there just little plastic cars... ahhhhhhh... :rolleyes:

let a leader by? imo never let anybody by.....but why are we talking about this? i wrote a simple statment about striving to race clean....???
also, where did I indicate that I don’t understand why "real racers" let leaders by? Do you really think we do not discern the difference? Well thanks for you input...you have now brought us back to reality.
but may I suggest, that if someone is all over the track its not because their a hog....it because they not as skill yet...so there is no reason to emulate the attitude that everyone part the waters of the red sea for you and you only....cuz, no one wants you to kick their sorry freekin....

imxlr8ed
2006.03.09, 11:36 AM
let a leader by? imo never let anybody by.....but why are we talking about this? i wrote a simple statment about striving to race clean....???
also, where did I indicate that I don’t understand why "real racers" let leaders by? Do you really think we do not discern the difference? Well thanks for you input...you have now brought us back to reality.
but may I suggest, that if someone is all over the track its not because their a hog....it because they not as skill yet...so there is no reason to emulate the attitude that everyone part the waters of the red sea for you and you only....cuz, no one wants you to kick their sorry freekin....

Wow... tense ! I'm just kidding about that "kicking" part... see, you're taking this way too seriously ! (they're just little plastic cars... ) I was more or less replying to Bolter in post #15, just hit the wrong button. I didn't mention you specifically in any of that post ?!?! Chill out !

ARN
2006.03.09, 11:40 AM
sorry, but no im not taking this to seriously, i just took your post as a insult...like the ones in the past, i guess if you dont understand that then i should just accept you with a grain of salt...

imxlr8ed
2006.03.09, 11:51 AM
sorry, but no im not taking this to seriously, i just took your post as a insult...like the ones in the past, i guess if you dont understand that then i should just accept you with a grain of salt...

Look... maybe my stuff doesn't come off well in type, if members could see my stupid smiling face when I'm typing all of this stuff, they would probably have a better understanding. (picture a "special person" with a brand new keyboard... see attachment :D ) Never try to insult anyone, have the utmost respect for anyone that can drive these cars !

bolter9
2006.03.09, 12:29 PM
Easy guys, I don't think anyone was trying to be offensive. Keep in mind that irony and subtle humor usually doesn't translate well in type. More often then not, people will think you're being sarcastic.

And even though this is still off topic, the issue of backmarkers letting race leaders by has a lot more to do with holding up the leader and allowing the cars behind him/her to catch up, then it does with crashing (although that's certainly a factor too, just not as likely to happen). I think this rule translates to Mini Z racing just fine. If I'm half a lap in front, and I go to lap a guy and he doesn't let me pass cleanly, then the guy behind me has a lot more opportunity to catch up. Now naturally it's a lot easier to get around a mini Z then it is a real race car, so the negative effect might be a bit less then in real life, but it's still an issue- especially for new drivers who are likely being lapped, and are likely driving un-predictable lines.

imxlr8ed
2006.03.09, 12:37 PM
Easy guys, I don't think anyone was trying to be offensive. Keep in mind that irony and subtle humor usually doesn't translate well in type. More often then not, people will think you're being sarcastic.

And even though this is still off topic, the issue of backmarkers letting race leaders by has a lot more to do with holding up the leader and allowing the cars behind him/her to catch up, then it does with crashing (although that's certainly a factor too, just not as likely to happen). I think this rule translates to Mini Z racing just fine. If I'm half a lap in front, and I go to lap a guy and he doesn't let me pass cleanly, then the guy behind me has a lot more opportunity to catch up. Now naturally it's a lot easier to get around a mini Z then it is a real race car, so the negative effect might be a bit less then in real life, but it's still an issue- especially for new drivers who are likely being lapped, and are likely driving un-predictable lines.

I know... it's always tough to watch the pack climb up on you... but I really don't get into a bind over this stuff, I guess I just have fun just racing my crew, dirty or clean racing. ! It is a part of Racer ettiquette, but it takes a great deal of time to get some drivers to realize this stuff, some of my crew in the past, seemed to never catch on to the lapped driver thing. Since we have been running the HFAY series... you even see some of the newbies driving safer, they all seem to understand that every split second counts now, regardless of who is ahead of you and who is behind you.

bolter9
2006.03.09, 01:28 PM
I know... it's always tough to watch the pack climb up on you... but I really don't get into a bind over this stuff, I guess I just have fun just racing my crew, dirty or clean racing. ! It is a part of Racer ettiquette, but it takes a great deal of time to get some drivers to realize this stuff, some of my crew in the past, seemed to never catch on to the lapped driver thing. Since we have been running the HFAY series... you even see some of the newbies driving safer, they all seem to understand that every split second counts now, regardless of who is ahead of you and who is behind you.

I hear ya, we don't follow any hard and fast rules while racing either- but we have a pretty small group, so the etiquette is understood. I think it becomes a little more important to define the rules when you have a large group with different people showing up all the time.

ARN
2006.03.09, 02:09 PM
request: if there are any english majors out there...?take a look at this and let me know if there is need of changing wording, gramar...etc...i alway find that i do not see my own mistake in writing stuff..till its to late to change....

This is a correlation of many opinions and points from racers of the mini-z community. For the beginner to those who just need to be reminded..;-)
Remember the one thing that’s most important is to enjoy this sport and the people that share your enthusiasm of RC Racing!

• If you wreck, don't reverse into oncoming traffic, wait for traffic to pass before backing up from the rail, re-join without causing a collision.
• Do not use up pit space, there is no reason someone should ask you to size down.
• When you are turn marshalling, always give rightaway to the racers running, stand on the tracks edges not the surface. Try to stay out of driver’s views best as possible, and move at a controllable speed !!!…we don’t want a turn marshal to fall down and causing injury to themselves, cars, or the track…
• It is important to acknowledge when you unintentionally bash into other cars on the track.
• When you experience mechanical problems, you should have your car pulled off the coarse…if you are intent on completing the race as is; you should not affect any other driver’s race in anyway. if you leave the driverstand to go fix your car, do it without interruption to your fellow racers.

imxlr8ed
2006.03.09, 02:46 PM
Minor changes...

• Never criticize a turn marshall.
• Do not handle other people's equipment without permission at anytime, stay away from a driver's pit if they are not present.
• When holding someone else's car, never touch the tires.
• During practice sessions you should drive in a reserved manner, keep a good distance from other cars on the track.
• If your car does go "dead" loudly notify others of it's location.
• When you experience mechanical problems, you should have your car pulled off the course…if you are intent on completing the race as is; you should not affect any other driver’s race in anyway. if you leave the driverstand to go fix your car, do it without interruption to your fellow racers.
• If you wreck, don't reverse into oncoming traffic, wait for traffic to pass before backing up from the rail, re-join the race without causing a collision.
• Please keep your pit space to a minimum, there is no reason someone should ask you to size down.
• When you are turn marshalling, always give rightaway to the racers running, stand on the tracks edges not the surface. Try to stay out of driver’s views best as possible, and move at a controllable speed !!!…we don’t want a turn marshall falling down and causing injury to themselves, cars, or the track…
• It is important to acknowledge when you unintentionally bash into other cars on the track. ("Sorry" goes a long way.)

rharris
2006.03.09, 03:41 PM
Minor changes...

• When holding someone else's car, never touch the tires.

First off, thanks. I'll be hanging a small poster with this on it for track days from now on. Nice to have rules clearly posted so everyone knows what to expect.

I wanted to clarify one thing.

"never touch the tires".

I never gave this much thought. Is this a big deal? Is this a oil on your dirty little fingers thing? Does it affect traction?

Thanks

ARN
2006.03.09, 05:41 PM
First off, thanks. I'll be hanging a small poster with this on it for track days from now on. Nice to have rules clearly posted so everyone knows what to expect.

I wanted to clarify one thing.

"never touch the tires".

I never gave this much thought. Is this a big deal? Is this a oil on your dirty little fingers thing? Does it affect traction?

Thanks

one time, a guy came over to my pit and started handling my car without permission, and without any indication from me that it was ok...he still had bearing oil on his fingers...and he really thought it was necessary to touch every tire on the car.......well...you can figure out the rest...however it was unintentional...but stupid!...I learned that day the importance of two of my own pointers.....

ARN
2006.03.10, 01:47 AM
this has brewed long enough...
here is my final and this is what i will distribute to those that would like to have it...thanks all!
,Z

This is a correlation of many opinions and pointers from racers of the mini-z community. For those whom are “the beginner” to those “old pros” who just need to be reminded..;-)
Remember the one thing most important, it is to enjoy this sport and the people that share your enthusiasm of RC Racing! Cheers, Aaron Nelson “Z ZANIAC”.

• Strive to pass cleanly, or to be passed cleanly.
• Keep your pit space to a minimum, there is no reason someone should ask you to size down.
• It is important to acknowledge when you unintentionally bash into other cars on the track. ( a “sorry” is good, but that gets annoying after three or four times in one session…)
• When you experience mechanical problems, you should have your car pulled off the coarse…if you are intent on completing the race as is; you should not affect any other driver’s race in anyway. If you leave the driverstand to go fix your car, do it without distraction to your fellow racers.

DogbreathRacing
2006.03.11, 10:39 PM
Great Guys, those are rules everyone should live by when attending any race. It does make the experience so much better. I speak from experience having run a LARGE track and R/C club for almost ten years were we ran three days of racing a week. BE NICE! HAVE FUN!

But those days are gone and I don't do organized racing anymore. Now when we get together it's a small group of close friends and all for fun.....so some of our rules have changed a little....

...such as....

...ALWAYS touch the other guys car, alot, and if you can hide a wheel wrench in you hand then tighten the left front wheel nut down tight, when he discovers his car will only spin cookies in one direction then be sure everyone gets a good laugh...oh and be sure to point too....or replace one of his front tires with some old 50 degree tire and watch the fun! :D

bolter9
2006.03.12, 02:29 AM
...ALWAYS touch the other guys car, alot, and if you can hide a wheel wrench in you hand then tighten the left front wheel nut down tight, when he discovers his car will only spin cookies in one direction then be sure everyone gets a good laugh...oh and be sure to point too....or replace one of his front tires with some old 50 degree tire and watch the fun! :D

LOL :D :D

herman
2006.05.03, 04:02 AM
cool thread... :D

rharris
2006.05.03, 04:16 PM
.. and if you can hide a wheel wrench in you hand then tighten the left front wheel nut down tight, when he discovers his car will only spin cookies in one direction then be sure everyone gets a good laugh...

Doh! That's a good one.

bemoore
2006.05.04, 11:19 AM
Is there any sort of accepted etiquette for passing? My most relevent experience is with slot cars and there are a few guidelines that work well there. Such as, don't pass on the outside, and don't allow yourself to be passed on the inside, else you will experience the joy of straightening out your chassis. With Mini-Z's, there is a group I race with that consists of a few really fast guys, a couple of slower guys, and one guy just a little faster than me. The only who's giving me problems is the guy that's just a little faster. Of course I don't just pull over & let him go, but I might if he hounded me for a lap or two. But he just engages me wherever he reaches me. I may be on a good lap but if he gets a nose up beside me on the straight, I'll probably wind up in the wall. I don't think it's intentional, but it doesn't seem like he puts much effort in making a clean pass. Is this considered acceptable? If so, I'll just suck it up & take it. If not, I may ask him to try to make his passes a little cleaner. I understand that clean passes are difficult. I'm not that good at them either, but I do try, and that's all I ask of others. I think I know a little how the guys feel who race with Robby Gordon.

ARN
2006.05.04, 11:54 AM
my opinion is this...pass anyway you can without messing up the other racer car...
if you bump so what...just dont send him into the rail or over turn him....
other than that be aggressive. :D

you may find that its easyer to let up just a second to let someone by it may benefit both of your times...if he gets along side you, ease up just long enough to let him by...then pass him back when he makes a mistake...

byebye
2006.05.04, 12:05 PM
My wife and I have practiced passing. I can say that in the end if you are slower than the leader it's best to stay out of the way. Even if they are slightly faster. Think about this, if they are a little faster than you, why are they behind you? They are have either already lapped you or they have finally caught you and will either push you out the way or they will crash trying to get around you. I think everyone is better off allowing the faster cars to pass.

I really started to review video and try to perfect this whole area. My best example(without video) is DOW. I've notice that their fast guys run around the track as if attached. I also noticed on their core stats that they were probably 2 seconds split. That puts them roughly a third the track lap behind each other so essentially they are not even close.

Here at home we practiced running wide so as to let the faster cars pass on the inside. During this last olps I watched myself follow the leader until I was right on him. He didn't let up but at the right time I was able to pass him.

-Byebye

ARN
2006.05.04, 01:05 PM
Is there any sort of accepted etiquette for passing? .

I guess I can get back to your original question...yes, there is an accepted etiquette. But some don't care......just like in life....some people are civil and some just don't care.
Just try to have fun, don't let one guy ruin your fun with everybody else....

byebye
2006.05.04, 01:16 PM
Sorry I was at work and getting ready to head out the door when I replied.

Yes there is an acceptable etiquette. It's an understanding between all the drivers that if someone is faster then let them have a good race. Just as Z Zaniac said there are some people out there that just don't care. If those are the fast guys let them pass and lead, it will give you someone to follow and sometimes people need that to push themselves beyond what they think they are capable of.

I think if you are faster then try not to spin them out and try not to be so aggressive that you crash. When possible I find it easiest to pass coming out of a corner. Either inside or outside just make sure you commit and follow thru with it.

-Byebye

bemoore
2006.05.04, 01:47 PM
I guess I can get back to your original question...yes, there is an accepted etiquette. But some don't care......just like in life....some people are civil and some just don't care.
Just try to have fun, don't let one guy ruin your fun with everybody else....
Oh, he's not ruining my fun. If he were, I would find something else to do with my time. I have gotten a little frustrated a few times, though. Of course, part of that frustration is not being able to go faster.

MINIz guy11
2006.05.31, 05:31 PM
i have had an experience with one guy at my track during practice. i was on the straight cruising a long and all of a sudden, i see a guy come up from behind me and try to get me into a wall. instead of the wall, my car does a few cartwheels, flips and finaly lands on its lid. im like WTF! its practice and its a straight, you can avoid me! he takes practice like a race and tells me later to have gotten out of the way. now, i decided to make a bumper that allows enough travel but not many people can get under me besides a atomic body. i just need one to see if they can get under. i did this on my ford gt since it already need this b/c of the round and high bumper.

arch2b
2006.05.31, 05:42 PM
technically you should yeild to faster traffic however they should not have hit you either, especially in practice.

byebye
2006.05.31, 06:00 PM
technically you should yeild to faster traffic however they should not have hit you either, especially in practice.
I agree with arch2b, you should yield but also remember that if you are moving much slower during practice you may be a hazard on the track to the faster cars expecially on the straights. Beside the likely hood of him trying to put you in the wall is, well, not likely.

I've done it a couple of times because people sometimes forget that you are focused on a small car and sometimes your periferral can't see that other one at the end of the straight.

-Byebye

MINIz guy11
2006.06.01, 02:14 PM
yea, i see i did something wrong but i usually yeild to faster cars in races. but in practice, i sometimes do. still, by the time i saw him coming, i couldnt do anything

byebye
2006.06.01, 02:21 PM
......but in practice, i sometimes do. still, by the time i saw him coming, i couldnt do anything

Yeah that does happen and hopefully nothing is broken. At this scale the speeds are much faster and cars will crash much worse but won't get the same damage as a real car.

-Byebye

MINIz guy11
2006.06.01, 07:26 PM
a screw went loose. otherwise, i havent found anything wrong

4x4
2006.06.24, 11:29 PM
Basically, no bump-drafting, no PIT maneuvers, no whining and no pitside cheating. Makes sense to me, but I'd like to know why they dont have cautions when cars flip or an F1 sheds a wheel after an impact to protect everything

arch2b
2006.06.25, 12:11 PM
becasue these races are not hundreds of laps or hours long. when your racing a 5-8 min heat there is no time for cautions.

MINIz guy11
2006.07.04, 07:47 AM
I'd like to know why they dont have cautions when cars flip or an F1 sheds a wheel after an impact to protect everything
my dad says something like that. what he says is that after a car sheds something or flips, the car should be taken out of the race like real races

arch2b
2006.07.04, 09:27 AM
my dad says something like that. what he says is that after a car sheds something or flips, the car should be taken out of the race like real races
it's simply not a realistic notion in a 5-8 minute race. it works in real life because you have plenty of time but in less than 8 min mains that would make them last much longer than anyone wants or would have patience for. it's just not practical at this scale for these time periods where less than 3 secondes can mean the differnece between 1st and last place.

now, for those that run endurance races this could work as you have plenty of time to deal with.

fastrthanyou
2006.07.13, 01:58 PM
Bump to pass sounds good, If it's in your way smash it. Yellow flags are about as good of an idea as fat chicks on scooters. If the wheels fall off keep racing till the car stops movin. If you get in someones way while doing it, expect to get smashed. Just my .02 cents

arch2b
2006.07.13, 05:43 PM
Bump to pass sounds good, If it's in your way smash it...
i'm glad you don't race on my track :rolleyes: that kind of attitude would make you very unpopular at our club, as i expect it would at most others as well. these are expensive cars, and i would certainly not appreciate someone with that attitude carelessly bashing my car or my friends cars for that matter.

cdog4w
2006.07.13, 06:00 PM
I totally agree with arch, not to mention the title of this thread is etiquette :)

At our track, some people hack as a joke (but only people they know and are ok with) and some people make mistakes. The owner will crack jokes about and call people out for dirty racing, but all in good fun. In general, racers know to get out of the way of the faster drivers but its more of a courtesy not a "you're in my way" type of thing.

will3kgt
2006.07.14, 12:58 AM
Our race club in Ann Arbor won the HFAY mainly because of the insanly talented drivers we have..Be that as it may, if not for racer etiquette we wouldn't have won. Don't get me wrong, we have our share of accidents, but it's not because of lack of etiquette. I'm one of the lower rated guys on our team yet I was ranked 14th overall becuase I'll let whoever pass me to avoid getting into an accident. As long as I get my average laps, it's all good. If I raced my fellow drivers there will be an accident for sure and everyone involved loses laps. I can't stress enough how important racer etiquette is no matter where you race. You become a better racer and you and whoever you race with will get more enjoyment out of it. Bottom line, just respect the cars around you & you'll be respected no matter what your skill level...You don't want to be known as the "club hack."

imxlr8ed
2006.07.14, 02:21 PM
:D Our race club in Ann Arbor won the HFAY mainly because of the insanly talented drivers we have..Be that as it may, if not for racer etiquette we wouldn't have won. Don't get me wrong, we have our share of accidents, but it's not because of lack of etiquette. I'm one of the lower rated guys on our team yet I was ranked 14th overall becuase I'll let whoever pass me to avoid getting into an accident. As long as I get my average laps, it's all good. If I raced my fellow drivers there will be an accident for sure and everyone involved loses laps. I can't stress enough how important racer etiquette is no matter where you race. You become a better racer and you and whoever you race with will get more enjoyment out of it. Bottom line, just respect the cars around you & you'll be respected no matter what your skill level...You don't want to be known as the "club hack."

Don't sell yourself short though, it's great to race as a team effort, but once you get up to a certain level... if you're not pushing the leaders to drive better, they will only evolve their skills so far. I'll give wide berth to a guy 3 or 4 laps ahead of me (if it's a serious race) and I'm having issues with my car... but I have made up big lap deficits in the past to come out on top. If I would have been pulling out of the way each time they climbed up behind me... I wouldn't have had a chance.

There is a fine line here, and it's usually very easy to tell if someone is crossing it. If a guy is blatantly blocking or out to T-bone every guy that gets in his way... he deserves whatever he gets in return. (funny thing is... these types of drivers are usually the first to cry foul when you do it to them... you'd think they would know better ! :rolleyes: )

When it's all said and done, some people get it, some get it in time, and some never do. It's not racing without a little rubbing... but when rubs turn into wrecks all the time... it's really ridiculous.

(now... say that last part with W's in place of all the R's and L's. :rolleyes: )

PS... the team point system has been revised for this second season of HFAY... much fairer to all clubs. :D

will3kgt
2006.07.19, 05:35 AM
:D

Don't sell yourself short though, it's great to race as a team effort, but once you get up to a certain level... if you're not pushing the leaders to drive better, they will only evolve their skills so far. I'll give wide berth to a guy 3 or 4 laps ahead of me (if it's a serious race) and I'm having issues with my car... but I have made up big lap deficits in the past to come out on top. If I would have been pulling out of the way each time they climbed up behind me... I wouldn't have had a chance.

There is a fine line here, and it's usually very easy to tell if someone is crossing it. If a guy is blatantly blocking or out to T-bone every guy that gets in his way... he deserves whatever he gets in return. (funny thing is... these types of drivers are usually the first to cry foul when you do it to them... you'd think they would know better ! :rolleyes: )

When it's all said and done, some people get it, some get it in time, and some never do. It's not racing without a little rubbing... but when rubs turn into wrecks all the time... it's really ridiculous.

(now... say that last part with W's in place of all the R's and L's. :rolleyes: )

PS... the team point system has been revised for this second season of HFAY... much fairer to all clubs. :D
Trust me, I don't have to push anyone on our team to drive better, we all do our best everytime. I know the fine line all too well and I'd quit before I cross it. Everyone on our team pretty much follows the same creed when it comes to racer etiquette. As far as letting someone pass goes.....When you race with a club you pretty much know where you stand after racing with the same group of guys for some time....There's the guys who you're on the same level with and there are the few who can get three laps on you halfway through a race weather you let them pass or not on a consistant basis. That's the guy you let pass so you don't hinder yourself or him. In this format of racing, I'm more concerned with the guy who's ranked one slot below me and the guy who's ranked one slot above me rather than who I'm on the track with. It's hard hard enough pulling fast laps when your out on the track by yourself let alone with other cars no matter what the skill level. That's why I take caution when someone is within three car lengths of me. I don't "lunchbox" it by any means, I feel I can hold my own against almost anyone, I don't just let anyone pass me (damn that!) But there are the select few that you just don't block especially in this form of racing. Besides I'm usually in the B mains anyway and the last thing I'm going to do is just give up the line to someone, it has to be earned but I'm not gonna block anyone during a race. Congrats on your standing in the 1st season by the way, you'd probably be one of the select few I would let pass. Good luck next season.

youpey
2006.08.10, 03:08 PM
this is going to sound really dumb, but i have never raced before...what is a turn marshal

cdog4w
2006.08.10, 04:43 PM
Someone who is not racing that stands around track to flip overturned cars over so they can keep racing w/o leaving the driver stand. Also, in larger scale racing where reverse is illegal, they will re-orient cars that are facing a wall.

BillH
2006.10.14, 06:54 PM
This should be a sticky but here's a bump.

herman
2006.11.15, 02:15 AM
i agree... :D

Queso
2006.11.30, 01:18 PM
good thread esp. for peeps w/ little exp in organized racing

marc
2007.01.09, 09:11 PM
And I'd like to add, don't ask people how much there car's and hop-ups cost and what's their most expensive one. It makes people nervous. I experienced that when I attended my second race. I was kind of worried that if I didn't pay attention that they'd walk off with one of my cars.
How much one spends on one's pride and joy is kind of personal. You can ask how much do they cost at the hobby store, or some degree like that.
Also, the first race I inteneded, I only bought two cars to race and no equipment. So I had to puchase batteries at local store and borrow a charger. My reason for that was I didn't know what to expect on the first day and I wanted to keep it simple and find out if I really liked racing with this group or not.
Second race day, I did bring my own equipment and more cars. However, that was the day none of theme worked really well! LOL!
Anyway, bring your own equipment guy's, and don't ask how much people have spent on their toys.

BobT
2007.05.04, 12:27 PM
When your race is complete do not turn your car around and run it back to your location running in the wrong direction on the track. Other racers may still be finishing their last lap.

Just continue to run in the proper direction taking care not to interfere with those who are still racing. I always call it my insurance lap.

Tjay
2007.12.19, 02:54 AM
nice thread!

Skv012a
2009.04.28, 01:03 AM
A note on asking prices- if you've raced with a group once or twice its fine. Theres no better help in finding parts, getting estimates, etc than asking people who buy and use parts. Also, its very easy to tell a car's value just after briefly looking at the chassis- the more shiny metal and lack of antenna, the more expensive it is. Plus, why would guys with 500$+ of Z stuff on the spot run off with just 1 of your cars? And if thats directed at bystanders, it would be YOUR fault for leaving your stuff unattended.

Basicly, watch your stuff if you value it enough and try not to leave too far without asking someone near you to watch it.

oopster
2009.06.29, 08:13 PM

I don't think that's just 1/10th, you probably just notice it more in the 10th races you've seen. There are just some people who can't pass cleanly. At the club I've raced at for years, there's one person in particular who crashes into you all the time, mind, it seems her and her two brothers do it too. They just don't care that there are other drivers in their race. Ok, that is in tenth mainly where I race, but now she runs a 1/12th mardave, grouped with micros and recoils, and she still runs round like it's her right to have whatever line she wants. Don't upset her though, as you'll lose the abilitiy to hear properly for the rest of the night. She could be forgiven that when she was a teenager, but ten years later, and the lungs have only gotten more powerful.

I think in any racing, you need driver discipline. Some people have it, and others don't have the first idea and end up spoiling it for everyone else, which is a real shame.

marc
2009.06.30, 11:46 AM
I'd also like to add from past experience. One of my racing friends I think forgotten to turn off one of his 2.4 cars while he was trying to bind another one. Some reason, his un-expected car ran away and knocked mine off the table braking a piece of it's rear wing.
So make sure ALL of your cars are turned off except for the one your working with. And, it also pays to have car-stands to keep the rear tires, or AWD all tires in the air to prevent run-away's.
In dead a great thread and something I should read into more detail if/when I get back into racing since I've been out of it for the past year.

bmxtrev
2009.08.29, 02:58 AM
Idk if this has been said already, but it's so annoying to me I just have to say if anyways...
Keep your toes off the track!! By this I mean don't sit right next to the track and have your toes hanging over the edge. In my club someone always does this and collisions always follow.

Type-R
2009.12.29, 03:03 PM

Some people take 1/10th to serious as seen in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bAKMkLSEk

In 1/10th you most likely will leave with a cracked body or broken parts.

with mini Z's its more fun

JeremyC
2010.01.01, 01:03 PM
i can't open this link in my new Linux..
please suggest me another link or
update it..

His link works fine (for me in Linux). You need to get flash working correctly.

z3zinho
2010.01.01, 03:05 PM
Pretty much all has already been said in this thread...

In the end what matters is that you have fun and if you treat others as you would like to be treated you will do just fine ;)

JuniorWKR
2010.01.15, 11:01 AM
if you and the racer in front of you are battling for position and the racer in front of you blows the line and you hold yours should the racer in front respectfully let you pass or does he have the right to come back in and try and close the door on you and cause an accident?... Especially when the racer in front blowing the line creates your oppurnuity to cleanly pass after following him for some time waiting for an oppurtunity?...

this question is in regards to running in the main only... during qualifying the faster guy should always be allowed to pass as we are racing against the clock and not each other... but in the main position counts...

hrdrvr
2010.01.15, 11:19 AM
^ I say he is allowed to close the door, and defend as much as he can without causing an accident. Who ever initializes the accident is the one at fault, no matter the running position, IMO.

If I am in that position as the leader, I would concede the position. If I was the overtaker, I would be upset if I got slammed into the wall making a clean pass.

JuniorWKR
2010.01.15, 11:27 AM
i am 100 percent ok with straight up defensive driving... if you can beat me because you make it so i cant pass you then kudos to you... but if you blow the line cause you cant handle the pressure then i feel in return i have done my job better applying the pressure then you have done holding you line and blocking so therefor i should have the rightaway to pass cleanly without having to worry about you coming back in and putting me to the wall... and perhaps taking us both outta the race.. but thats just my opinion... i guess thats why there are brakes on the car too...

hrdrvr
2010.01.15, 11:45 AM
^ I guess Im agreeing with you, just we arent using the same words. By reading your last post though, Im 100% sure we are on the same page.

I try and preach to our guys that avoiding accidents at all costs benefits every one! This means while overtaking, while being overtaken, or while battling for position, it is everyones reposnsibility to avoid contact.

chad508
2010.01.15, 11:52 AM
i say if your comeing up on someone slowwer you should just "slow down" and drive as slow as them

JuniorWKR
2010.01.15, 11:56 AM
by that do mean that noone should pass anyone?... or are you saying to slow down and wait for your oppurtunity... my comment was based on when two cars are battleing for position which will make the difference of placing either 1st or 2nd...

chad508
2010.01.15, 12:07 PM
its not racing if your always passing the slow guy.

and im just being funny. i agree with you guys.

hrdrvr
2010.01.15, 12:12 PM
Junior, Sorry for Chads inconspicuos sarcasm (which isnt translated in text). :) I think his comments were derived from some of the conversation they had racing wednesday night, lol. He is pretty much on the same page as I am. Its not racing if there isnt overtaking. Its not racing if you just plow through to the front with a fastest car either.

You have to drive to the front, and its best to go at it with the menatlity that you would if you were running a full scale car. Atleast IMO.

JuniorWKR
2010.01.15, 12:20 PM
got it... where i race this is the toughest call for us... in the amain for a very long time we run like a train... if one person taps a wall or gets a little squirly it effects everyone running in that pack... when we crash it pretty much half the guys in the main.... it a very tough call... but like i saidf before ... in the main its the persons job n front to stay out front by all means neccessary... but its the person following that needs to apply as much pressure as possible to make the guy ot front either fold an move over or cause him to lose his line due to the amount a of pressure the second guy is applying... and if the second guy is wins the battle and causes the front guys to lose his line then he should tuck his tail and stay out there and let the second guy pass cleanly...

kromie101
2010.07.28, 08:22 PM
landon never gets out of my way:D. IMO,if you go off line and i can get my nose inside of you,it's all mine. then if you try and correct your self and hit me and take us into the wall,it's their fault. landon knows me and sometimes collin:D will always be kind to others:).

mleemor60
2010.07.28, 09:53 PM
The responsibility for the pass belongs to the one doing the passing.

Mike Keely
2010.07.29, 12:04 PM
i am 100 percent ok with straight up defensive driving... if you can beat me because you make it so i cant pass you then kudos to you... but if you blow the line cause you cant handle the pressure then i feel in return i have done my job better applying the pressure then you have done holding you line and blocking so therefor i should have the rightaway to pass cleanly without having to worry about you coming back in and putting me to the wall... and perhaps taking us both outta the race.. but thats just my opinion... i guess thats why there are brakes on the car too...
+1, If you are racing closely with someone else and I come up on you to put you another lap down then you should be able to keep racing with whoever you are on the same lap with without worrying about me. If I am still in a heated close race with another racer you should let me by. My 2 cents

2EZ
2010.07.30, 11:11 AM
I think both drivers need to show the other respect. I may be two laps down to you but I may also be in a very heated race for position with some one else on the track, neither of us can afford to slow down so we need to race in a manner that gives respect to both our situations. If you are two laps up on me some where on the track you are faster wait for that spot and time you don't have to pass me as soon as you catch me Talk to me and I will try to not hold you up but I don't want you to cause me to lose positions on the track I have moved over for the leader and had some one that was racing me take avantage of my reduced speed or the fact I gave the line up effecting my race position. Not all of us can finnish first but some nights gaining one spot in the pack can make it a good night. All of us are racing not just the leader laped cars are something a good/fast racer learns to deal with if he does it with respect then he will
get a desired benifit if he plows over others he will find that also produces a result. Know with out the other cars on the track it is not a race every race leader needs the rest of the field even us slow guys my finnish is every bit as important as the leaders at least to me!!