PDA

View Full Version : Painted concrete

Dougboy
2006.03.10, 07:17 PM
hello

i have a track layed out in my basement and my basement floor is painted concrete. It seems to be a pretty dusty area so i'm just wondering what kind of setup i can use for maximum traction. Its really weird because i find that harder tires seems to have more grip on this kind of surface.

My car is pretty much stock except for a PN speedy, a disc damper, and some bearings.

Is there anything i can change in the suspension or the tires in order to get more grip? I'm running atomic 30degree up front, stock in the back right now and it has decent grip, but i would like more grip.

:rolleyes:

thanks

EMU
2006.03.10, 09:59 PM
Try radial rear tires. You may have to test out a few different styles. I would also suggest a soft rear suspension setup.

Sinister_Y
2006.03.10, 10:01 PM
Call Daniel at Boy Toys. I forget what kind of setups we use to run, but he's the owner and will probably remember. All I know is that everyone use to take turns mopping the floor (painted concrete) with pine-sol. Talk about grip! Yeah, we used to use pretty high compounds, like 30 front and 20 rear. The best used to be the orange tamiya foam tires...they were the hookup for everyone. If I recall, my Mr-02 setup was like iwaver gold in front, atomic disk (or pn...same sort of thing) in rear with atm gold (hardest) bottom and silver (med) on bottom. Slight droop in motor pod. Car lowered alot with same level front/rear. Then, like 1-2 deg camber blocks in front. But, this has been a while ago. The guys were running on carpet up until now when the original track running carpet closed a few months back. NOte that Daniel does have practice days on Sat at his shop. It's also painted concrete. Why not drop by, meet some guys hopefully and then get a setup for yourself to practice with or race with your buddies at home?

Dougboy
2006.03.11, 02:44 PM
thanks for the info sinister. I'll try some of the stuff you've mentioned. I live in markham and boytoy is kinda far from me :(

I have mopped it in the past but it just got dusty again so i got tired of mopping :rolleyes:

EMU, i duno how radial tires but i have tried 20deg atomic grooved rear tires. I find stock rear grips better than those atomics

:confused:

EMU
2006.03.11, 03:43 PM
EMU, i duno how radial tires but i have tried 20deg atomic grooved rear tires. I find stock rear grips better than those atomics

:confused:I never had good luck with the Atomic tires. I would try GPM radials.

jason barnes
2006.03.11, 04:34 PM
hey dougboy does the painted sur face have a sand or a non slip added to the paint . i race on a sur face like this . let me know .....jb

Dougboy
2006.03.13, 08:12 PM
i dont think there is sand or any non slip stuff. As of now, i can get my car to grip quite well using atomic 30degrees up front and narrow stock tires in the back. Yes, narrow stock tires, even though i have wide rear rims, i duno why but it gives me more grip.

I was getting my car to lap pretty fast until this happened :( (you can sorta see the kind of surface in that pic)

arch2b
2006.03.13, 08:31 PM
just looks like concrete sealer over brushed concrete. does the car hop at all over the textured surface?

jason barnes
2006.03.14, 12:07 AM
hey dougboy thats a pretty good wak , it sucks when they crack like that . also arch you need to use the fine stuff it does not bounce , this surface gives a good amount of grip and slide . feels more like running a 12th scale on concrete awesome. .......jb

HammerZ
2006.03.14, 05:52 AM
Here's a post on tires.
I have not had much bounce on concrete, this is assuming the concrete is more or less flat and level. Smooth concrete like a shop floor can be like a skating rink. The brushed kind (like my driveway) is perfect to run on, just not with too soft a tire. Soft tires can do funny things on a hard surface like that.

Dougboy
2006.03.14, 05:10 PM
I have not had much bounce on concrete, this is assuming the concrete is more or less flat and level. Smooth concrete like a shop floor can be like a skating rink.

that is exactly my situation, i have now gotten a pretty decent setup but as i read in the other tire thread, bolter9 mentioned that RM will be better suited for a low grip surface like concrete. I might have to give RM a try
:)

jason barnes
2006.03.14, 11:27 PM
hey doug boy , i agree with bolter . the rm will work way better on this surface.......jb

gohjon
2006.03.15, 09:24 PM
i thought playing on concrete will cause yr tires to wear faster

jason barnes
2006.03.15, 10:16 PM
this is not asphalt this a painted surface ..set up .....jb

HammerZ
2006.03.16, 12:56 AM
i thought playing on concrete will cause yr tires to wear faster

1. Mini Z's are not as heavy as a 1/10 car, that can have a big effect on tire wear.
2. 10 deg tires will wear at any scale, so harder tires are more suitable here.

There is a difference between normal concrete and say, a tennis court with a high grip surface. That high grip surface is like a sandpaper, that will shread tires quick no matter what deg you use. Between the concrete driveway and the asphalt street in front of my house (just watch for cars), the same setup works for both. If anything the asphalt has a tiny bit more texture that can pitch the car at speed. Just watch for cracks and potholes, as those can eat a Mini Z quick as well.

builthatch
2006.03.20, 12:39 PM
1. Mini Z's are not as heavy as a 1/10 car, that can have a big effect on tire wear.
2. 10 deg tires will wear at any scale, so harder tires are more suitable here.

There is a difference between normal concrete and say, a tennis court with a high grip surface. That high grip surface is like a sandpaper, that will shread tires quick no matter what deg you use. Between the concrete driveway and the asphalt street in front of my house (just watch for cars), the same setup works for both. If anything the asphalt has a tiny bit more texture that can pitch the car at speed. Just watch for cracks and potholes, as those can eat a Mini Z quick as well.

i run on a painted concrete floor, however, it's worn in some spots so some have more grip than others...very smooth tho throughout.

i run pn 8 deg radials front and rear, atomic dds with stock springs and no lube, med ky carbon h-plate, and pn springs, second to the hardest up front (white in the PN assortment)

Shrubba
2006.06.22, 01:58 AM
I used to run on the same surface until I got my RCP, and I kind of miss it. Although it needed more traction. I also noticed that the harder the tires, the better. Soft just seemed to pick up dust quicker and get slippy. I was told to us 'meratic acid' and etch/clean the floor, then paint it. I would skip the acid etch, and just mod the heck out of the floor to clean it, then paint. I never got around to painting the floor, but I might do it this year just to see what I would be like, since I kind of miss the track layouts I could make on a wide open floor with my Kyosho corner markers.

marc
2006.06.24, 07:23 PM
When my brother and I raised Mini-Z's in his garage, he used sugar water on the turns. Just spray sugar water where you want grip, and as the water dries, the sugar will stick making for a very grippy surface. Our cars were flying around the turns and you can here the tires screaming for trackion. It was cool, try it!

ruknd@aol.com
2006.06.24, 11:49 PM
When my brother and I raised Mini-Z's in his garage, he used sugar water on the turns. Just spray sugar water where you want grip, and as the water dries, the sugar will stick making for a very grippy surface. Our cars were flying around the turns and you can here the tires screaming for trackion. It was cool, try it!
i bet ants would become a problem. What about 10th scale tire sauce on the track or cleaning with with simple green?

NismoRocks
2006.06.25, 01:27 AM
you could add some pepper spray to the sugar water..... lol

stuZ
2006.11.15, 07:47 PM
...I was told to us 'meratic acid' and etch/clean the floor, then paint it. I would skip the acid etch, and just mod the heck out of the floor to clean it, then paint...

muriatic acid... it will eat almost anything.