PDA

View Full Version : FET's

heydudetyler
2006.03.27, 10:47 PM
can you stack the atomic mods fets on the stock fets already on the mini z car???

EMU
2006.03.27, 11:49 PM
It is allways recommended to use the same FETs in a stack. Not to mix a stack with different FETs. You CAN keep the stock FETs on the board, but I dont know why you would want to, since they may fry if you use a hot motor.

byebye
2006.03.28, 01:39 AM
can you stack the atomic mods fets on the stock fets already on the mini z car???

You'll get a significant boost in power but as EMU said the stock racer FETs are not as tolerant as the 4562's. I've done it and was happy with it but if the stock FETs burn up you have to remove the whole stack and replace them with of course 4562's when you could have either did a 1:1 or 2x2 replacement.

-Byebye

heydudetyler
2006.03.29, 06:31 PM
so i can stack the atomic mods ones with the mini z ones but will the stocks ones burn up fast with the nuke motor from atomic mods??

HammerZ
2006.03.29, 08:31 PM
I am sure the Atomic Mods Nuke motor would "nuke" something (Ok, the pun was intended. I just couldn't resist this one.).

heydudetyler
2006.03.30, 07:05 PM
thanks hammerz

HammerZ
2006.03.31, 07:07 PM
Some years back Megatech had there Mini Z upgrades. I had one of those motors that they claimed you needed a turbo to run it on your car. I ran it on stock fets with no problems at all, it wasn't a fast motor by any means. In fact an X speed would pass it with no trouble at all.

I then had a "stock" motor from another manufacture, I will not say with one it was. That motor's armature I put into a BB can. In less than a week I burned out the stock fets with it. For the record it had 47 turns, as the Kyosho X speed is 50 turns. Those motors are made to run on stock fets, just that they push the margin thin.

It is just that using other manufactures motors to me seems like a real crap shoot. Having the right information can help out a ton. Like Byebye posted it isn't good to mix fets as the weak ones would be the first to go. It is best to do the job right the first time, and save the headachs later on. I only had to do one fet repair job, before I tore into it I did my searches. And I am glad I did.

EMU
2006.04.01, 12:11 AM
I then had a "stock" motor from another manufacture, I will not say with one it was. That motor's armature I put into a BB can. In less than a week I burned out the stock fets with it. For the record it had 47 turns, as the Kyosho X speed is 50 turns. Those motors are made to run on stock fets, just that they push the margin thin.

You also have to take into account the magnets that are used with the armature. If you use Neo magnets, there is less stress on the FETs, because the current required to have the same rotation as you would with ferrite magnets is less. I would think that a Speedy NM 47t motor in a ferrite BB can would probably fry fets as well. Which makes me wonder about the PN Fet Stock motor which is 45t... although it uses ferrite magnets in a bushing can (not certain about the can). Of course, the gearing is minimal, 6 or 7 tooth pinion...

I may try a Fet Stock armature in an Atomic can sometime and see how it performs. I would try it on a mod car first just for comparison first, and then on a stock board that I wouldnt mind FET upgrading ;)

I agree that some manufacturers come very close to the limit of the stock FETs with their 'stock' motors. And if you take into account the variance in manufacturing, odds are that you would have more of those motors fry fets than X-speeds. I have seen x-speeds fry FETs though, of course it was a newer driver who was throttle happy.

HammerZ
2006.04.01, 02:53 PM
I think the motors I had came with the ferrite magnets, the neos would have more pull than that. If the magnets are stronger than the ones in the BB can, I would have swapped them over. You are right about the novice drivers, the fets in the car I have was an old MR01 without brakes. It goes from forward right into reverse, I do suspect that the car was run by someone after I dropped that motor in. They were not blown, but still had the internal damage done before I got to run it.