PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two motors.

HammerZ
2006.03.29, 06:42 PM
Arch, so what did they change on the X-Speed to make it AWD ready?

I know I am not Arch, but just give my insight anyway.

This is a very good question I seen in another thread. I had both the standard X speed and AWD X speed motors appart on the same day. When I was doing the PN BB case swap on both. Far as the armatures both looked the same to me, the AWD motor did have the thicker brush pads that covered more of the commutator. The only difference was the AWD motor was broken in some, and the standard X speed was straight out of the package. The AWD motor's brushes was seated, as the new one was not.

When I got done with them the AWD motor went into my AWD, of course. the standard BB X speed found itself in my Overland as a tester. The funny thing is my Overland (on trackers) is faster than my AWD (on MT #30's) now, far as outright speed. The AWD has way better throttle control though.

EMU
2006.03.30, 12:45 AM
Have you tried the AWD motor with comm drops? The larger brushes may give more resistance, which the comm drops would help lubricate the comm as well as take more advantage of the larger brushes.

Of course, you would have to drill a hold in the endbell (or use a different endbell that already has a hole) to use comm drops.

HammerZ
2006.03.31, 06:29 PM
I did use a light coat of oil on face of the brushes, a light coat and no more. It is just enough to allow the brushes to seat into the commutator, it also helps to cut down the arcing between the two. The PN cans I used have the hole for the drops. To me the skim coat of oil is just the same as using the drops anyway, as both will give the motor more punch. The oil will wear away quicker though. These two motors I did the same prep work on both.

HaCo
2006.09.10, 08:14 AM
So, still nobody knows the exact answer?

Which I could see a comparision on a dyno...

Are there dyno's for small motors?

arch2b
2006.09.10, 08:57 AM
i learn more from you guys than you guys learn from me :p

HaCo
2006.09.10, 12:42 PM
i learn more from you guys than you guys learn from me :p

What do you mean? :)

arch2b
2006.09.10, 12:45 PM
What do you mean? :)
initial post....

I know I am not Arch, but just give my insight anyway.

LBRC
2006.09.10, 04:42 PM
...Are there dyno's for small motors?
On the cheaper, $200 range, side you can easily adapt an Orion Motor Performance Monitor, or Yokomo Motor Maintenance System. There are/where some advanced computer interfaced dynamometers available from the 1/24 slot car crowd, some even with precision loading abilities, in the $1,000 to $5,000 price range.

pchan0
2006.09.10, 05:31 PM
There is also another motor checker by Team Much More. The price is reasonable at around $139USD, a very good tool to have in your pit, it can measure RPM and Amp draws. This will lead you to choose the best motor you have for the class and also lets you compare different or the same motor's performance with the same settings.

http://www.much-more.co.jp/

LBRC
2006.09.10, 05:39 PM
Cool that looks nearly identical to the Orion at a much better price.

nivlacs3z
2006.09.10, 10:34 PM
wow... i neeed one of htose motor tester things. Is there a particular one out there that shows torque, amperage, and rpm at a certain voltage? (and at a reasonable price if possible...)

An easy way to find out is to take the arms apart. What you do is... you unwind them. B = μNI, is the formula for the magnetic field in a soleniod (1/3rd of an armature) . N of course being the number of turns and I is the amperage. (mu=4pi*10^{-7} henries per metre.... just a constant so you dont need to understand this to understand the basic concept) Anyways, the number of turns is what we're looking for. While taking the arm apart you just count the number of winds and report back. Heh, of course no one wants to destroy a perfectly new arm. If you want, just send them to me with 10 bucks for two new silver comms and shipping. I'll count the turns to compare the two. After that I'll pattern wind the same number of turns and send it back your way. I'm interested in finding out the difference between the two, but I don't want to fork out the money for two machine made motors... >.>

HaCo
2006.09.11, 11:06 AM
That is, of course, electric torque...

An RPM and Ampère meter I have made myself... ;) A mechanical torque meter would be interesting and not that hard to made. Just apply a load and count how long it takes to get to motor full rpm... with the load and the time you can calculate torque, it's easy. :)

Flashsp-2
2006.09.12, 12:44 AM
The Team Much More Motor Master is great, its what I use to test all of my motors. If anyone wants some motors tested just shoot me an email and I'll do it for free, all I ask is that you cover return shipping.