PDA

View Full Version : Race Event - Sunday - 04/09/2006

AtlRC
2006.03.31, 01:48 PM
Alpharetta, GA
E-mail me for directions and contact info.

Time:
-------
Doors Open: 12:00pm (if you’d like to show up earlier, please contact me)
Racing Starts: 2:00pm

Classes:
-----------
1/28th Open
1/28th Stock (limited to stock motor and 4AAA batteries, any chassis mods OK)
1/28th Novice (same as 1/28th stock but limited to novice level drivers only)
1/18th Open (may or may not be run depending upon who shows up)

Notes:
---------
- Core lap counting system.
- Custom track.
- Audio and video systems for the automated sounds, announcements and race stats display.
- We will run 3 qualifiers for each class.
- We will run double or triple A Mains.
- Qualifiers and Mains will be 5 minutes.
- Refreshments available.

Use this "Race Event" thread to discuss things such as who will be attending and any other specific info pertaining to the race. After the event is over, we can continue to discuss any issues / suggestions / improvements for the next race. The results, and possibly pictures, will then be posted to this same thread.

If you think you’ll be attending, please post here so everyone will have an idea of expected attendance.

Hope to see you there!

Shaun
2006.03.31, 02:03 PM
Everything looks good so far. I'll be there around 11:00. You better have that MM car ready to race. :) I'm still waiting for the price to drop on the IC3's. If you want any packs for $5 let me know. I'll bring them on Sunday.

AtlRC
2006.03.31, 09:17 PM
I ordered everthing I need for an MM car. I plan to be ready! I've been practicing and trying different tire combinations... I've found a configuration that I seem to do well with... and it pushes in the front (like you mentioned you like). A bit of push makes the car really easy to drive smoothly!

I also ordered a few things for the F1. I still hope we will run an F1 class someday!

I'll hold off on the batteries for a while. I have plenty for now. Thanks.

Shaun
2006.04.01, 10:36 PM
I finally managed to position the CORE transponder under the VDS body without affecting the antenna or the suspension. Maybe this will eliminate those small glitches I get when going over the timing loop. We'll see.

signal21
2006.04.02, 06:40 PM
how was it?

Shaun
2006.04.02, 06:44 PM
how was it?

How was what?

signal21
2006.04.02, 10:04 PM
How was what?

lol, oh right. the race is on the 9th... i dont know why i thought it was today.

Shaun
2006.04.02, 10:20 PM
lol, oh right. the race is on the 9th... i dont know why i thought it was today.

Will you be able to make the 4/9 race?

signal21
2006.04.05, 04:05 PM
Will you be able to make the 4/9 race?

i dont know if i can.

so i got tires, damper, and the h plate. i'm about to order the mzr dry bearings are there any other parts you guys think i should get besides the ball diffs? are alloy knucles necessary? does the kyosho ball diff have a titanium shaft? how about some tie rods?

Shaun
2006.04.05, 04:59 PM
i dont know if i can.

so i got tires, damper, and the h plate. i'm about to order the mzr dry bearings are there any other parts you guys think i should get besides the ball diffs? are alloy knucles necessary? does the kyosho ball diff have a titanium shaft? how about some tie rods?

Alloy knuckles are smoother and last longer than plastic knuckles. The Kyosho diff isn't Titanium. Alloy tie rods are nice. They help keep any steering slop to a minimum. You got plenty of AAA batteries?

signal21
2006.04.05, 05:46 PM
Alloy knuckles are smoother and last longer than plastic knuckles. The Kyosho diff isn't Titanium. Alloy tie rods are nice. They help keep any steering slop to a minimum. You got plenty of AAA batteries?

i've got 2 sets of AAA duracell rechargeables with a 15 minute charger.

do you guys have all the different cambers and differe tie rods? what are main settings i would use. i can get the other ones and fine tune later.

Shaun
2006.04.05, 07:28 PM
I have all the different camber knuckles and steering plates.

1.0 degree knuckles and a plate with some toe-in would be a good start.

signal21
2006.04.06, 12:22 AM
I have all the different camber knuckles and steering plates.

1.0 degree knuckles and a plate with some toe-in would be a good start.

is there not kit for tie rods? like 1, 2, 3 degrees toe. i see one of those for the MA010.

signal21
2006.04.06, 01:42 AM
the steering plates are only for the front? theres no rear toe adjustment? would you recommend to change antennas? thanks guys. sorry for all the questions.

Shaun
2006.04.06, 09:45 AM
the steering plates are only for the front? theres no rear toe adjustment? would you recommend to change antennas? thanks guys. sorry for all the questions.

I haven't seen a kit with different steering plates. Yes, the steering plates are only in the front. There's no rear toe. I would change antennas if you happen to break the stock one. I have plenty of spares if you need one.

signal21
2006.04.06, 10:54 AM
do you ever use toe out plates?

AtlRC
2006.04.06, 11:50 AM
Our order is in! Looks like we got everything. I've already started finishing out my MM car. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get my new Atomic body painted by Sunday, but I'll be able to run it anyway.

Marvin - I wouldn't use toe out. 0 degrees would be the farthest out I'd go.
As far as bringing your friends over to check out the track, unfortunately, I'll be busy everynight until Sunday. My daughter is in town and we have plans the rest of the week. If you'd like to pick up your parts Friday or Sat call me and we'll try to meet up. If you and your friends would like to come over early Sunday morning, that might be an option. Tell them they are also certainly welcome to join us for racing Sunday... I may even have an extra car for someone to borrow. Let me know. Thanks.

Shaun
2006.04.06, 12:13 PM
Our order is in! Looks like we got everything. I've already started finishing out my MM car. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get my new Atomic body painted by Sunday, but I'll be able to run it anyway.

That's good news on the order. Just sticker that new VDS body up! :) Should be fun having 2, maybe 3 (pending Chad) VDS cars racing.

signal21
2006.04.06, 04:04 PM
Our order is in!
Marvin - I wouldn't use toe out. 0 degrees would be the farthest out I'd go.
As far as bringing your friends over to check out the track, unfortunately, I'll be busy everynight until Sunday. My daughter is in town and we have plans the rest of the week. If you'd like to pick up your parts Friday or Sat call me and we'll try to meet up. If you and your friends would like to come over early Sunday morning, that might be an option. Tell them they are also certainly welcome to join us for racing Sunday... I may even have an extra car for someone to borrow. Let me know. Thanks.

Ok, i'll give you a call sometime to pick up my stuff. As for my friends going to see the track, maybe we can do that next week if you have time. We'll talk on the phone.

signal21
2006.04.08, 01:59 AM
ok so I installed my damper kit but i have a question as to what i should do with the antenna. should i just stick the antenna between the screw and the damper plate? its touching alot of metal and the cf is a conductor. what did you guys do?

Shaun
2006.04.08, 04:55 PM
ok so I installed my damper kit but i have a question as to what i should do with the antenna. should i just stick the antenna between the screw and the damper plate? its touching alot of metal and the cf is a conductor. what did you guys do?

I would put a small plastic washer between the antenna and the CF damper plate. It should prevent any glitching. I'll bring some extra antennas with me Sunday. We can make a custom antenna so you can mount the antenna away from the damper plate.

Sorta like this. Using the front mounts.
http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/antenna.jpg

Shaun
2006.04.08, 05:47 PM
Patrick - How does 10-11am arrival time sound for tomorrow?

How's that MM working?

signal21
2006.04.08, 06:54 PM
whats the stock spur gear T count?

i'm about to buy the atomic ball diff, it comes with a 43t spur gear. what size pinion or final drive ratio should i have?

Mzfreak
2006.04.08, 07:28 PM
Hey I think i will make it. I might bring a friend over that has a monster if he can.

andy

Shaun
2006.04.08, 07:48 PM
Hey I think i will make it. I might bring a friend over that has a monster if he can.

andy

See you there Andy.

signal21 - If your running a stock motor just put a 8T on it and go from there. Not all stock motors are created equal. They require different gearing. Will you be racing tomorrow?

AtlRC
2006.04.08, 08:20 PM
Patrick - How does 10-11am arrival time sound for tomorrow?

How's that MM working?

MM still under construction... almost done. It'll be ready tomorrow. 10-11 is fine, see you then.

AtlRC
2006.04.08, 08:21 PM

andy

See you here... and your friend too! It may be possible that I have a car he can borrow to race with us.

Shaun
2006.04.08, 08:45 PM
Hey Patrick,

Check out this track in Sweden. Just imagine a field of F1's zipping around this course.

AtlRC
2006.04.09, 12:01 AM
Hey Patrick,

Check out this track in Sweden. Just imagine a field of F1's zipping around this course.

Yeah, they have a really nice setup... I've e-mailed them before about the surface that they run on. It's some kind of rubber material that they buy in rolls. Here's their website's pictures and video page ... check it out... http://www.cargel.se/media.htm

signal21
2006.04.09, 10:21 PM
i'm free this coming sunday but bad timing, no race :(

AtlRC
2006.04.09, 11:28 PM
i'm free this coming sunday but bad timing, no race :(

Yeah, sorry no race next Sunday. Tell them they need to give you guys a break once in a while... maybe a free weekend once a month or so (on the right weekend of course). Do you know when your next weekend off will be? ...maybe you can call in sick on the next race ;).

AtlRC
2006.04.09, 11:42 PM
We had a good time racing this week. Turnout was relatively low, but still fun. We ran a Stock class with Billy and Andy, and an Open class with myself and Shaun (running stock motors), then an "All" Stock class with all 4 of us.

Shaun humiliated us all by winning the "All" class with only 3 tires!!! Darn you Shaun!!! I'll get you yet!!!

Everybody ran well. Billy and Andy are showing much improvement... I saw many really good laps from both... consistency will continue to improve with time and practice. I ran pretty well against Shaun, but again, my consistency needs to improve too... 1 or 2 wall bumps and Shaun wins again!!! Shaun is running really well as usual. Nice job Shaun!

Here's the results. I hope everyone can join us next time!

Stock - A Main (http://www.atlrcmotorsports.com/amrcr-results/28thStock-040906-amain.htm)

Open - A Main (http://www.atlrcmotorsports.com/amrcr-results/28thOpen-040906-amain.htm)

Stock All - A Main (http://www.atlrcmotorsports.com/amrcr-results/28thAll-040906-amain.htm)

signal21
2006.04.10, 10:23 AM
the 30th is when i'm free to race.

bemoore
2006.04.10, 11:03 AM
Agreed, a good time was had. I just want to say thanks, Patrick for providing all this. The track, timing & scoring, results. I really like to be able to go back afterwards and analyze my performance to see where I need improvement. I think my biggest problem is with the track. It has too many walls. :D A review of the results revealed an interesting fact: I ran better in the "All" class than I did in the "Stock" class with just Andy and me. That doesn't sound right. Aren't you supposed to run fewer laps with more traffic? Maybe it was just the result of additional track time. Whatever the reason I'll take it.

Is anyone placing a parts order this week? I want to order a damper.

Shaun
2006.04.10, 01:14 PM
Patrick - Your MM car was working very well. Both of our cars are closely matched. I'm gonna have to step it up a notch! Look forward to some very close racing.

Billy - I know I tend to get more and more comfortable driving the track after I'm on it longer. Time on the track is priceless. All the tuning in the world won't help if you can't keep the car off the wall. ;) I wasn't planning on placing an order this week. Which damper system are you thinking of getting?

Rc kenon. com is a good place to order from. Great selection and fast service.
Best of all it's in the USA! California to be exact. :)

Oh......Patrick, they carry the different color chassis sets for the MR-02.

http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/banner2.jpg

signal21
2006.04.10, 03:48 PM
Shaun- whered you get your chassis set? i like those solid colors more than the transparent ones.

Shaun
2006.04.10, 04:08 PM
Shaun- whered you get your chassis set? i like those solid colors more than the transparent ones.

My chassis is the stock one. I added the yellow chassis parts set. I got it from RC mart. I don't think they have them anymore. The last time I looked I didn't see them.

Mzfreak
2006.04.10, 06:24 PM
Shaun- Do you have those batteries that you said that were $5. I might take some. And how'd you get your rm chasis hopped up so quickly.lol

Patrik- thanks for the awsome race. It was fun exepet when my car kept getting messed up. It wasn't as stable as last time though. dont know why.

How's the mm car? better than rm?

andy

jason barnes
2006.04.10, 06:35 PM
hey shawn , sorry about the pics . tom shuold have those up soon . there is a big state race at our 10scale track this week . you can check out live www.snowbirdnationals.com/thunder . checked out the races 5.22 fast lap time . cool . wish yall were alittle closer...seya.......jb

Shaun
2006.04.10, 07:41 PM
Shaun- Do you have those batteries that you said that were $5. I might take some. And how'd you get your rm chasis hopped up so quickly.lol

Patrik- thanks for the awsome race. It was fun exepet when my car kept getting messed up. It wasn't as stable as last time though. dont know why.

How's the mm car? better than rm?

andy

Andy - I can get some batteries if you like. Rayovac IC3 AAA $5 per 4-pack.
Let me know.

As far as hopping up my RM so fast.........I'M OBSESSED!!!! :)

Shaun
2006.04.10, 07:45 PM
hey shawn , sorry about the pics . tom shuold have those up soon . there is a big state race at our 10scale track this week . you can check out live www.snowbirdnationals.com/thunder . checked out the races 5.22 fast lap time . cool . wish yall were alittle closer...seya.......jb

Should be down in Tampa soon. I plan on racing on-road at FRANK'S on 4/26.
I'm going to try to come out on 4/25 to practice a bit. :)

Hope to see you soon!

Mzfreak
2006.04.10, 07:55 PM
Sounds good. I'll take one pack for now. There nicd right?

Did you order all those parts since you got it. Oh and I also might buy some stuff you offered me a long time ago. I need to start upgrading my car.

Shaun
2006.04.10, 08:14 PM
Sounds good. I'll take one pack for now. There nicd right?

Did you order all those parts since you got it. Oh and I also might buy some stuff you offered me a long time ago. I need to start upgrading my car.

The IC3 batteries are NiMH, not NiCd. Do you still want them?

Yes, I ordered most of the parts after I got the car from Patrick. I already had some of the parts. Which parts do you want Andy.

Mzfreak
2006.04.11, 07:37 AM
Yeah I'll still take them. What were those parts you offered to me one time?
I think they were batt. clips and some others.

andy

bemoore
2006.04.11, 10:39 AM
Billy - I know I tend to get more and more comfortable driving the track after I'm on it longer. Time on the track is priceless. All the tuning in the world won't help if you can't keep the car off the wall. ;) I wasn't planning on placing an order this week. Which damper system are you thinking of getting?

Shaun, I'm not sure yet. I need to do some research. You have any recommendations? I did a little research. Some of those damper systems are a bit pricey.

Also, if you have an extra set of those NiMH AAA's, I'll take a set, too. During this past race it seemed that I kept runing out of batteries.

Andy, when I switched from a 350Z RM to a McLaren MM, I noticed a little improvement in high speed stability, but not much. When I switched bodies to an Enzo, it got MUCH better. I think the long nose of the Enzo slows the turning, making it easier to drive.

jason barnes
2006.04.11, 11:12 AM
hey shawn , have you tryed these batteries yet .www.betterpower.com.cn . there not to bad and super cheap! ...........jb

Shaun
2006.04.11, 02:37 PM
Billy - I have only used the Atomic damper plate. It works great. I've read good things about PN Racing's damper plate. They should have them at RC kenon.com. I'll bring some AAA's with me Sunday 4/23.

Andy - I'll bring you some batteries and I'll have all my extra MR-02 parts with me. You can look and see if there's anything you want.

JB - I haven't tried those AAA's. What batteries seem to be most popular at FRANK's? Oval or on-road.

jason barnes
2006.04.11, 03:02 PM
probably the intellects , i read an old post that u used to race pan cars . you said you raced pauls banked oval . thats cool i love my pan car .seeya ...........jb

signal21
2006.04.11, 10:21 PM
i hope the next race is on the 30th so i can go!

bemoore
2006.04.12, 01:51 PM
Billy - I have only used the Atomic damper plate. It works great. I've read good things about PN Racing's damper plate. They should have them at RC kenon.com.
They should have which ones at RC Kenon? The PN or Atomic? Also, I seem to remember yours having oil to control the dampening, but of the ones I've found I can't tell if they use oil or friction. How can I tell? Which is better? And how much better?

Thanks

Shaun
2006.04.12, 02:26 PM
They should have which ones at RC Kenon? The PN or Atomic? Also, I seem to remember yours having oil to control the dampening, but of the ones I've found I can't tell if they use oil or friction. How can I tell? Which is better? And how much better?

Thanks

RC Kenon has the PN racing damper. You can use any of them with or without oil. It depends on how you want to set-up your car. The oil gives you more dampening than a friction only set-up.

Shaun
2006.04.13, 08:23 PM
I going down to FL for a week soon. Going to leave a couple days after our next race. Thought I would take my Mini-Z's with me. Gonna try to do some racing on this track. It's in the Tampa area. They race road course and oval.
Looks like a fun track, can't wait to get there! Gotta represent the ATL. :)

Frank's Mini-Z Racing
http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/franksinfl.jpg

bemoore
2006.04.13, 09:58 PM
Cool looking track. What is the surface? Doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with.

AtlRC
2006.04.13, 10:16 PM
Looks cool Shaun. Have fun and teach em a lesson about racing with the Atlanta gang! Hope to see some pics after you get back.

Mzfreak
2006.04.14, 07:30 AM
hey shaun forgot to post. Thanks for all the parts you gave me on sunday. It helped alot.
thanks

andy

jason barnes
2006.04.14, 09:07 AM
hey shawn , i see that you posted the pic of the track . those lights on the inside are for a night race . did not have time to take down before the pic . 9 car main , david croy 1st , mike boylan 2nd , jb 3rd , shawn 4th . not sure where every body else ended up . david , mike , and me on same lap . had second till back marker . ohh well it happens .......tomorrow racing my pan car at the state race . you guys can check it out live on web cam . www.snowbirdnationals.com/thunder. also have live results too . david made this software . cam should be up by 10:00 talk later ................jb

Shaun
2006.04.14, 10:44 AM
Billy - Track is MDF painted with a floor enamel with packs of no slip grit mixed in.

Andy - No problem. ;) Always willing to help out fellow racers. :)

JB - Good luck at the state race.

signal21
2006.04.15, 12:40 AM
so i got a motor mount cause i like how they look but i have a problem. when i put the damper plate system on, you know how there are springs on both sides of the plate? well the bottom one is compressed almost all the way, its like the motor mount it too tall. any solutions??

jason barnes
2006.04.15, 01:06 AM
thanks shawn , should be tough and fun.

Shaun
2006.04.15, 08:24 AM
so i got a motor mount cause i like how they look but i have a problem. when i put the damper plate system on, you know how there are springs on both sides of the plate? well the bottom one is compressed almost all the way, its like the motor mount it too tall. any solutions??

Which motot mount did you get? May have to raise the damper plate.

Any pics?

Mzfreak
2006.04.15, 03:55 PM
Hey guys here are some of the pics from last sunday.

signal21
2006.04.15, 05:06 PM
i figured it out but i did break my antenna because i thought i could bend it. i've got to find a way to get out there and race with you guys.

Shaun
2006.04.15, 07:52 PM
signal21 - Can't wait to see you at the track. Will you be able to make the next race on 4/23?

signal21
2006.04.15, 11:38 PM
no, i have an event in vegas. i'm free the following weekend but there is no miniz race. i'll probably be at tfb but i'd rather race my miniz.

signal21
2006.04.16, 01:21 AM
what tools do you guys use for your lock nuts, just the stock tool? i got these lock nuts and they're a little too small for the stock tool.

dean
2006.04.16, 09:52 AM
That may be a 2mm nut, if so, there is a nice lil wrench at ******.com .. but try searching 2mm on this websites 'shop', ...supporting minizracer.com is good for all of us. :rolleyes:

clik here.... http://******.automated-shops.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=11&page=2&sid=4wSJJh1UPH9bEbq-31106503584.6d

I have been making purchases here recently on minizracer, and pay thru paypal.Its easy and Items are recieved very quickly. :D

dean
2006.04.16, 09:59 AM
Sorry :( that name is auto blocked.
I did just search the minizracer shop and found nothing.

So try www.i ntegy.com, but with no space between i and n

they do have a nifty 2mm wrench. :p

signal21
2006.04.16, 12:27 PM
are the nylon kyosho nuts supposed to get bigger than the alumiun lock nuts cause mine are.

Shaun
2006.04.16, 02:35 PM
are the nylon kyosho nuts supposed to get bigger than the alumiun lock nuts cause mine are.

Yes, they are larger.

Mzfreak
2006.04.19, 09:52 PM
Hey whens the next race?

AtlRC
2006.04.19, 10:12 PM
Hey whens the next race?

See the other thread titled "Race Event - Sunday - 04/23/2006". ;)

Anyway, you gonna be here Andy? Hope you can make it!