PDA

View Full Version : my AWD mini-z

carcraze1004
2006.04.01, 10:11 PM
Hey people,
I'm new to mini-z but not to racing.I have a AWD mini-z that I've had since Dec.1st.I was impressed with it right out of the box.Since then,I've done quite a bit of changes.Within the last 2 months,I started changing things.The first thing I did,was put bearings in to free up the drive train.Nice and smooth.Here's a list of what I did so far.
1.upgrade to bearings.
2.using a speedy05 motor.(alot of torque)
3.Aluminum 0degree knuckles
4.0degree tie-rod
5.odegree rear toe bar
6.upgraded the chassis to the stronger blue/gray chassis
7.Aluminum topcad front bracket
8.Aluminum rear gearbox w/graphite plate.
9.rear topcad bracket.
10.carbon fiber driveshaft.
11.Aluminum swingshafts.
12.14 pcs chrome offset wheels.narrow in front wides in rear.
13.aluminum motor mount & batt.mount w/heatsink.
14.Topcad ball diffs.Kept breaking spider gears in old diffs.
Even though I added a little wieght,it still does lap times in the mid 10's.I average about 25 to 30 laps in a 5 minute run depending how our track is set up.I did a 6 minute run and did 35 laps.Had lap times below 10 seconds.I'm still using the Skyline body.This car is fun to drive and handles great.

hobbycar
2006.04.02, 08:46 AM
Welcome carcraze1004 to Mini-Zs.

What kind of track do you run on? RCP or something else (other foam mats, Tar Paper, painted wood, rubber mats, etc.). Also curious what tires you are running.

I just picked up an AWD and am planning my upgrade path.

Have you checked out the How Fast Are You - Time Trials and Online Point Series (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/howfastareyou/howfastareyou.html)? It's alot of fun and you get to compare your times to people around the world.

carcraze1004
2006.04.02, 01:36 PM
Welcome carcraze1004 to Mini-Zs.

What kind of track do you run on? RCP or something else (other foam mats, Tar Paper, painted wood, rubber mats, etc.). Also curious what tires you are running.

I just picked up an AWD and am planning my upgrade path.

Have you checked out the How Fast Are You - Time Trials and Online Point Series (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/howfastareyou/howfastareyou.html)? It's alot of fun and you get to compare your times to people around the world.

Hello hobbycar,
We race on the RCP track at a locl school.As for the tires,I've been running 10degree treads.I'll be trying 15 degree Daytona treads.Narrow in front&wide in the rear.The 10 degree tires wore out too fast.After one day,they were almost slicks.I hope the 15degree will last longer.I haven't tried the speed test or the time trials.All I know is that it's between 12 to 15 mph.Not too bad for something on the small side.Have fun with your upgrades on your AWD.Thanks for your e-mail.By the way,do you know anybody who's looking for a couple Knight Rider bodies?I have both K.I.T.T. and K.A.R.R.Both brand new and have not been used.Let me know.
carcraze1004@yahoo.com