PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Poloarity

helee4
2006.04.05, 01:26 AM
Apologize for the dumb question.

Do you know which way I should insert the magnet into the motor can? Should the arc be attracting or repelling each other?

helee4
2006.04.05, 10:48 PM
Apologize for the dumb question.

Do you know which way I should insert the magnet into the motor can? Should the arc be attracting or repelling each other?

The main reason I am asking is. I after I re-assembled my motor, the motor won't spin at all when powered up. Instead, it starts heating up. So, I don't know if because of the magnet positioning, or something is shortening.

HammerZ
2006.04.05, 11:34 PM
Most of the time I pull out the magnets, I try to keep them in order. They pull together when you take out that clip that holds them against the can. You can swap sides and the motor would spin backwards.

Draconious
2006.04.06, 12:16 AM
As long as the magnets are attracting each other in the can possition ( ) then they are in right...

It may be the bushings at either end of the motor can, if these are crooked in any way shape or form.. the shaft will jam up.

make sure you can spin it with your fingers before applying power to a motor... and why did u take it apart? it could be broken shorted out anything...

and dont forget the U clip to force the magnets away from the armature and against the can while in operation.

helee4
2006.04.06, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys! It is a conversion I am doing with a 180 size motor. You probably know the HPI 180 stock motor has metal brushes, which wore out extremely quickly. So, what I have done was to trim out the motor can, and use a motor cap from 130 size motor with carbon brushes.

Let me make sure both U clips are in place and it spins freely freely again.

builthatch
2006.04.06, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys! It is a conversion I am doing with a 180 size motor. You probably know the HPI 180 stock motor has metal brushes, which wore out extremely quickly. So, what I have done was to trim out the motor can, and use a motor cap from 130 size motor with carbon brushes.

Let me make sure both U clips are in place and it spins freely freely again.

i just took my new atomic z2 apart because i wanted to see what it looked like inside. i put it back together without regard to which side the magnets were on and it runs just fine. getting the comm past the brushes into the endbell bearing was a bear- had to push the brushes out of the way...also, once it was together, i had to try to keep the arm from pulling out of that assembly when putting the endbell back into the can/ arm into the can bearing.

helee4
2006.04.06, 09:34 PM
i just took my new atomic z2 apart because i wanted to see what it looked like inside. i put it back together without regard to which side the magnets were on and it runs just fine. getting the comm past the brushes into the endbell bearing was a bear- had to push the brushes out of the way...also, once it was together, i had to try to keep the arm from pulling out of that assembly when putting the endbell back into the can/ arm into the can bearing.

I see what you mean. But I think you supposed to pull the armature out first, align with the brushes and end ball. Then, you put the motor cap/armature back into the can. I think this way you don't have to worry about sliding the brushes to the comm with the armature already in the motor can.

BTW, nice M18

builthatch
2006.04.06, 11:49 PM
I see what you mean. But I think you supposed to pull the armature out first, align with the brushes and end ball. Then, you put the motor cap/armature back into the can. I think this way you don't have to worry about sliding the brushes to the comm with the armature already in the motor can.

BTW, nice M18

oh i did that, but...as soon as you slide the endbell/arm assembly into the can, the magnets want to pull the arm toward them and away from the endbell, so you have to make sure you brace the arm along with the endbell as you slide the arm into the can bearing...and then as soon as the arm passes into the can bearing, you can press them together quick...

turns out the magnet polarity will just make the motor go the other way, obviously...long story. i took it apart, switched the magnets, and it's back to normal.

thanks for the compliment. i just put together a m18t that is awaiting electronics to arrive. it will be powered by a Cobalt 14 turn ; )