PDA

View Full Version : Please advise what to do with mr01

sykdevil
2006.04.05, 07:14 PM
i've been out of miniz for a while, i'm trying to get back in. I have a mr01 with 2x4 7389 and some other simple hopups. My car is a little outdated, I was wondering if its worth the time and effort to convert it to a mr015 or just buy a whole new mr02.

Also I would like to know the performance and handling of a mr015 compared to a hopped up mr02. And if i do convert to mr015, i would like to change out my circuit board, its old and does not have the brake function. Please advise me on which choice would be better. Thanks

jason barnes
2006.04.05, 09:13 PM
witch one , well one of the top guys in the DOW club drives a 01 , but driving and a lot of set up involved . plus the 01 does not have a servo saver , this makes the car feel better . i would suggest a 02 this is abetter car in the long run . you cant beat driving and set up thow . i have been telling people this forever . ............jb

gasman1
2006.04.06, 06:39 AM
i've been out of miniz for a while, i'm trying to get back in. I have a mr01 with 2x4 7389 and some other simple hopups. My car is a little outdated, I was wondering if its worth the time and effort to convert it to a mr015 or just buy a whole new mr02.

Also I would like to know the performance and handling of a mr015 compared to a hopped up mr02. And if i do convert to mr015, i would like to change out my circuit board, its old and does not have the brake function. Please advise me on which choice would be better. Thanks

I still drive and win with my MR-01. It's pretty bare bones. The first thing I would do is get rid of the fet stack and put the board back to stock. I lowered the front end with 2 washers on each side, 2 degree knuckles, stock springs, stock steering bar and very worn 8 degree tires.

Bearings all around and a Kyosho ball diff on the rear with fairly new 8 degree treaded tires. I use a Kyosho H plate with 3 notches (Thickest one) without that little triagular piece that is included with the car. No main shock. This is a good baseline for this car. (at least for me) I have given others in my club this setup and it seems to work for them. The front end setup is very important so as to eliminate the traction roll that is inherent to this car. The body you choose to race with an 01 is very important. You don't want the tires to be exposedfrom the wheel wells. This is why the servo gears get broken. I run the Castrol NSX body and the Mercedes CLK bodies on this chassis. The only time I ever broke a servo gear was when I ran the chassi without the body on to test it. I don't do that anymore. ;)

All my MR-01s are setup the same way but my MR-02s are not, each one is different.

If you need the Fets redone, we can do it for you, hell, if you send me the parts with the car, I'll set it up for you. :) You just pay the postage to me and return postage

I do own and drive MM and RM Mr-02s and like them too. However my times are similar on all my cars. Your driving style and the lines you take dictate your laps times and consistency.

hobbycar
2006.04.06, 11:42 AM
gasman, thanks for the MR-01 setup advice. I may have to think about taking my MR-01 out of the closet :)

So have been running the MR-01 for the HFAY OLPS or an MR-02? Or have you been switching back and forth?

-hobbycar

gasman1
2006.04.06, 12:22 PM
All my HFAY Point Series and Time Trial runs have been with my MR-01.

MR-01s are not dead. :eek:
I won the B Main at the PN Regional in NY last year with that same car .

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

hobbycar
2006.04.06, 07:10 PM
gasman, what kind of washers do you use to raise up the front suspension? Or how high do you raise it up (I can get micro washers at my Ace hardware store that are like .3mm thick)?

Also what kind of 2 degree steering knuckles/blocks do you use and what wheel offsets do you use for the CLK (this is the body I have for my MR-01)?

Again thanks for the advice.

-hobbycar

gasman1
2006.04.06, 07:44 PM
gasman, what kind of washers do you use to raise up the front suspension? Or how high do you raise it up (I can get micro washers at my Ace hardware store that are like .3mm thick)?

Also what kind of 2 degree steering knuckles/blocks do you use and what wheel offsets do you use for the CLK (this is the body I have for my MR-01)?

Again thanks for the advice.

-hobbycar

I use 2 .030 inch washers in both sides. This actuall lowers the front end.

The steering blocks on my HFAY car are yellow, not sure who makes them. I have several different types I use, they all seem to work well. The wheel offset are the stock ones for that body.

I believe they are 2.5 front and zero rear. this is also the same on my Castrol NSX

Hope this helps, anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Dave

sykdevil
2006.04.06, 07:54 PM
thanks for the advice everyone, I thought everyone abandoned their mr01. I guess I'll just keep it the way it is and give it a little more tweaking. I can redo my fets, so maybe I'll change it, maybe I'll keep it the way it is for now. I don't race competitively so I guess there is no need to spend more money to get a mr02.

I used to race the clk body, but i'm thinking of getting the vsd body. Will that fit the mr01?

gasman1
2006.04.06, 07:59 PM
thanks for the advice everyone, I thought everyone abandoned their mr01. I guess I'll just keep it the way it is and give it a little more tweaking. I can redo my fets, so maybe I'll change it, maybe I'll keep it the way it is for now. I don't race competitively so I guess there is no need to spend more money to get a mr02.

I used to race the clk body, but i'm thinking of getting the vsd body. Will that fit the mr01?

The VDS body requires a mid motor chassis. 98 mm wheelbase. If you can get your hands on a MM motor pod, and attach it to th 01 chassis, it might fit

EMU
2006.04.09, 01:13 AM
Gasman was driving like he was lit on fire at the regional in NY last August. His 01 setup rocks. I was simply amazed.

I setup my 01 for use with the McLaren body a while back, and loved the setup. I think that it drove better than an 02 McLaren. I lowered the front end (dont remember how much), used a PN ML motormount with the hardest Kyosho H plate, 02 ball diff, PN ML disc damper, stock knuckles and 1deg toe in, Atomic Stock BB motor 9t.

I ran the car hard and never came close to flipping it. I tried it out on one of my point series races, and was dominating the comptetition, until I got caught up in traffic and broke a knuckle (I had used Iwaver 01 knuckles because I didnt want to dig out all of my old 01 parts). I have since rebuilt the car as an 015, and must say that I am a little disappointed. I think that an 01 handles better than an 015 if you get the setup correct, although an 015 has less risk of damaging the servo if you run very narrow bodies (I set it up to run a Z8 and now a Stratos, which I wouldnt run on an 01).

To setup a VDS body, you would do so the same way that I setup my McLaren. A standard MM pod will not work, you would need a PN ML or Atomic 94 MM mount, otherwise the shortest setting would be 102mm.

01's are not dead, my buddy Magic just bought a used 01 a week ago for the Corvette body that was on it (to use on his AWD). He set up the 01 with an old Iwaver CLK body that I had laying around. Using 2.5mm front and 1mm wide rears. That car handles very smooth, and doesnt have much tendancy to flip. For tires, he is using stock AWD fronts and 8d rear GPM. He is going to try a worn set of 8d front. He used some spare DDS parts that I had to setup a disc damper for the car as well... Its a hybrid of Kyosho/Atomic/3Racing disc damer parts... quite original, and smoothens out the rearend hopping.

While he was setting up his 01 last night, I setup an Iwaver 01 that I had laying around, and hasent been used in more than a year. I used SS kingpins, stock MR01 springs, swaybar, knuckles... medium H plate, GPM diff and motormount (was on my old 01 when I bought it used for the bodies it came with). 10d 3Racing front tires and 8d rears with 2.5/1.3w wheels (alloy, which I am going to change out to plastic when I get a chance to). The body I am using is the MR02 Calsonic Skyline. I tested it at the track today, and it felt good minus a little servo shake (have to secure the pot a little better). I was surprised that it didnt get much glitching in practice as my IW02's did... It has an older IW board, that actually had fets for the steering, unlike the newer ones... I still plan to get a Kyosho 01 and move the setup over to it... almost bought it today for $60.
I am planning on getting another

will3kgt
2006.04.09, 02:42 AM
I'm almost tempted to get another MR-01, I put all my 01 boards into 02 chassis. Your setup sounds nice, could you send pictures. BTW, is the MR-01 lighter than the 02?

EMU
2006.04.09, 11:25 AM
Heres a pic of my MM MR01. At this point I had it setup for an Enzo, but removed the front bulkhead and put a stock one back on when I switched to the McLaren.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album726/01MM02MM02RM.jpg
As for weight, I am not sure which is heavier, I dont have a setup MR01 to test, I will check when I can weigh Magics car. I would weigh my Iwaver 01, but that is not an MR01 :rolleyes:

will3kgt
2006.04.15, 12:04 AM
Thanks, have you ever put an MR-01 board in an MR-02 chassis?

EMU
2006.04.15, 12:14 AM
Yes I have. I sometimes prefer having drag brakeing at my disposal... I dont really use brakes that are on the MR02 board much, and used to really like using the drag brake on my 01, the more you come off throttle, the more you brake.

gasman1
2006.04.15, 10:24 AM
Thanks, have you ever put an MR-01 board in an MR-02 chassis?

All my 02s have 01 boards in them except my F1. I don't like the double tap reverse. This is just my preference. You might like it. You have to change the wire connectors that connect to the batteries but that should do it.

will3kgt
2006.04.21, 04:00 AM
I like the MR-01 board better myself for the same reason.