PDA

View Full Version : Check this out guys.. 4X4 OL in action

aeroelasticmz
2006.05.01, 01:00 AM
Hi guys,

guess this is what lot of OL lovers want to have and enjoy.. maybe some of you have seen this already..

http://www.4shared.com/file/1224529/78d44962/embarrado.html

Found it from a spanish website but i dont understand spanish about how the conversion is done..

http://www.minizeta.com/foro/showthread.php?t=5933&page=4

lilskipro587
2006.05.01, 06:11 PM
i like........ but i dont like.....!!! Good Concept but i dont think its should be done with servos! if your gonna do it........do it right!!!!

alpha_003
2006.05.01, 06:35 PM
that looks very cool! but i wonder what that person did to put traction in the front wheels. it looks like he just put two motors on each wheel in the front axle. that is not too convincing.
i know everyone wants their overland to be awd, has anyone, ,except diets, tried anything to convert their overland into awd???
eventually kyosho will release awd overlands, especially since the relase of the xmod trucks, those things are super easy and cheap to modify and are extrmemly fun!!!
anyways, going off topic a little: what do you guys think would be easier...
convert the front axle of an xmod truck into a solid one , or put awd in an overland ? spmething like the xmods 4wd kit or something.
any ideas??? i was just wondering since they both have something the other need. (kyosho needs awd and xmods need front live axle.)

-Lino

Stoovey
2006.05.02, 09:21 AM
Wow...interesting conversion for AWD. I like the Hummer with the red axles best, it looks like it has 4WS as well, but maybe not. Maybe just replaced everything with the 4 servos. Weird maybe, but it looks better than just doing the front.

asterisk woman
2006.07.11, 06:28 PM
Hello,
I introduce myself, this is my first post... Normally I participate in the spanish forum (the one that aeroelasticmz has written).
And....the video of the link: "embarrado", it is my video (recorded at home).

Well I recomended you this transformation in 4x4, in courses off road and not with original motor. Mainly, in circuits with puddles.

However, the turn of the ol is slower, more maneuvers are needed, for that reason, we are trying to improve the system, this has been the first step...

Well...until soon.... UN SALUDO from Barcelona!!

dean
2006.07.11, 09:57 PM
Keep up the good work :D

asterisk woman
2006.07.12, 06:52 AM
...well, this system was created by fumino from Valencia (Spain) and, really, it has had several followers.

In fact, in the last gathering in Barcelona, we enjoy with the 4x4 in the mountain and in a circuit with mud.

I put the links of two videos that I recorded:

Montain circuit:
http://www.4shared.com/file/2291601/..._4kdd_bcn.html

Circuit with mud (as you can see: it is a very easy circuit):
http://www.4shared.com/file/2280808/...4_kdd_bcn.html

Lexus86
2006.07.22, 11:00 AM
That is pretty cool.

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 06:10 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but do you think an xmod evo with a lift kit, better tires and a 4wd kit, could be as good as a ol? Or maybe a little close to a 4wd ol? I want to go in the mud like you guys, I already have a track I made, just need the truck. Which I am getting tomorrow! :) :D

dean
2006.10.10, 06:23 PM
Threads get better with age. :D

The Xmod does not have the gear reduction the overland does.
I noticed my xmod truck motor gets really hot.
So keep an eye on it getting too hot.
Cooking the fets or motor from pushing through mud could ruin ones day.
I have been trying to think of a way to get rock crawling gearing into the xmod truck.
Short runs with frequent checking will save you money and aggravation.

Post a vid :D

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 07:35 PM
I could post a vid, but it might be a little while. How are the gears on yours holding up. I had one in january, and the gears broke or the gear mesh came apart. I don't know, I didn't ever check. Do you think a stack of 2x1 FET's would be good? Or should I try and do a stack of 2x2 FET's? I have some foam track( I bought it at a store for $19) and I thought about trying to make a course out of it. But I think it will be kinda delicate. Do you think it would be necessary to seal the esc/receiver and cover the servo with a baloon to go mudding. I could tell you more about the trck if you wanted me to. It's cool, and was made for mini maulers/ mzm's. It works good too, and is a lot of fun, but a little tricky to get around sometimes.

dean
2006.10.10, 09:34 PM
Well I'm not sure what you should do because even if you get fetted you could still melt the pinion gear and plastic surrounding the motor. The motor can't breath well in the Xmod truck.IMHO :cool:

Some in another thread were saying something about making a custom high wind motor that has good torque for crawling,

Thread>>
http://minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21579

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 09:41 PM
Has the drivetrain on yours been holding up fine? I thought about using the stock xmod gen 1 motor, but I don't kno wif that had much torque. It didn't seem like mine did.

dean
2006.10.10, 09:48 PM
I only ran 3 sets of batteries in the truck. So yeah the gears are fine, for now I guess.
The thread I posted does mention Stage 1 as a torque motor. But the High wind motor ScienceMike is makeing sounds like something to try out on the Xmod Truck.

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 09:57 PM
Mine died after 1 set, so it sounds like your doing better than I was. What have you doing? Climbing? Will Science Mike be selling these motors?

dean
2006.10.10, 10:01 PM
Thick gravel driveway and a little home made mound to practice ability to climb.
Ask him... I sent you the thread.
good luck

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 10:21 PM
I asked him, so hopefully he responds and the motor works good.

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 10:35 PM
Whats the turning radius on your evo?

alpha_003
2006.10.11, 08:36 PM
if you want extra torque monunt neo magnets and a 6 tooth pinion on your xmod evo....if you want good gearing go to TRU and buy a new bright hummer h3 1:20 scale...rip it apart and get the 33-34 tooth gear, it take some minor modding to fit it in the gear case, but it works like a charm if done well. the motor in this little toy are so slow, they have much more torque than a stage 1, since they only reach about 10,000 rpm. you can also buy a ventilated motor can for better cooling.
hope this helps....
by the way, there is no way i have seen to cover he servo, it is pretty well hidden, so mud shouldnt get ot its POT, well at least it hasnt gotten into mine yet....i hope. :D

-Lino

-Turbo-
2006.10.11, 09:56 PM
I have been messing with it a lot tonight it has been going ok. Right now it has 4wd and the lift kit. It gets hung a lot when you are trying to go up stuff, because the back and front are too low to the ground. It definatley needs a better motor. This one doesn't have much torque, and the body barely even stays on the truck? I t has been fun so far, but I wish I could lift it more, and get a hightorque motor. I am looking at the lemo-solar.

Boss302
2006.10.16, 03:07 PM
Word of advice, dont take Xmod mudding. I did, and its NOT waterproof. Or Mud proof, tho it is fun.

-Turbo-
2006.10.16, 03:39 PM
Not even if I seal it all up?

Boss302
2006.10.16, 04:14 PM
Probely not.... because the XMT has like no torque. And once it gets stuck, its stuck.

Natedog
2006.10.19, 03:03 PM
Hello,
I introduce myself, this is my first post... Normally I participate in the spanish forum (the one that aeroelasticmz has written).
And....the video of the link: "embarrado", it is my video (recorded at home).

Well I recomended you this transformation in 4x4, in courses off road and not with original motor. Mainly, in circuits with puddles.

However, the turn of the ol is slower, more maneuvers are needed, for that reason, we are trying to improve the system, this has been the first step...

Well...until soon.... UN SALUDO from Barcelona!!

W0W, nice job...that red Hummer looks and runs great!!!

-Turbo-
2006.10.21, 06:29 PM
Probely not.... because the XMT has like no torque. And once it gets stuck, its stuck.

I am not going to run the stock motor...

Boss302
2006.10.29, 08:56 AM
Well thats your choice, If you do offroad, lock the rear diff. I only have a 2wd Stage 2 xmod truck. And that was fun , until I drove it in snow, I got some sand in the gear box and A wire came off the POT when i was cleaning it out. That ended up in it being on thw workbench for mounths until I ordered a new POT and Installed it correctly. After that the thing had no range. This could be my mistake, But I dont see a way to fully waterproof it. The water would get into the frount gears, and get into the POT.

i also hear with the 4wd There is a GREAT amount of friction without the bearings and it slows down alot. A word of advice, if you do buy bearings, dry them out by soaking them in degreaser, for offroading.

(that was a cunfusing post)

-Turbo-
2006.10.29, 08:39 PM
Well thats your choice, If you do offroad, lock the rear diff. I only have a 2wd Stage 2 xmod truck. And that was fun , until I drove it in snow, I got some sand in the gear box and A wire came off the POT when i was cleaning it out. That ended up in it being on thw workbench for mounths until I ordered a new POT and Installed it correctly. After that the thing had no range. This could be my mistake, But I dont see a way to fully waterproof it. The water would get into the frount gears, and get into the POT.

i also hear with the 4wd There is a GREAT amount of friction without the bearings and it slows down alot. A word of advice, if you do buy bearings, dry them out by soaking them in degreaser, for offroading.

(that was a cunfusing post)

I have 4wd, the diffs are locked. just need a better motor, bigger tires, and bearings.

alpha_003
2006.10.29, 11:03 PM
I have 4wd, the diffs are locked. just need a better motor, bigger tires, and bearings.

for the tires, the best choice for little or posibly no price are the lego tires. the ones that are 30.4x 14. these have an aggresive tread and can mount on xmod gen 1 rims with no modifications and on stock hummer rims if you trim the ridge completely.
for a better motor, if youre going to off road, is one with neo magnets, these magnets give a pretty big torque boost, but it is not so much of a continous torque boost, more like a jump or studder. their advantage is their price and simple process to mount and that they run without stacking or modifying FETs.
bearings, you can get from radioshack, but the AM shielded ones are better (for a little more money,) less time taking care of them and cleaning them, and more time playing in the dirt!!

-Lino