PDA

View Full Version : MA-010 AWD Noise on Acceleration

meany-z
2006.05.07, 12:56 AM
Hello readers. Anyone out there experience problems with their AWD making lots of noise on acceleration? I've changed to new stock diffs and still having the problem. At some point, I thought it was one of the front wheel lifting off and spinning, thus making the noise, but I'm not so sure now. But I do notice when I go reverse, then suddenly full throtle forward, I can hear the gear start to skip maybe 2-3 clicks, but sounds different than the usual acceleration noise. Any points to check would be appreciated. :mad: :(

Limeaway
2006.05.07, 05:50 PM
Since you changed your diffs, that probably isn't it. It wouldn't hurt to open them up and make sure they are fine, though. I would check the spur gear, I had a similar problem, it turned out the gear on the spur that connected with the diff was worn out, causing the skipping clicks.

meany-z
2006.05.07, 07:32 PM
Since you changed your diffs, that probably isn't it. It wouldn't hurt to open them up and make sure they are fine, though. I would check the spur gear, I had a similar problem, it turned out the gear on the spur that connected with the diff was worn out, causing the skipping clicks.

Checked that out already and gear looks clean and fine, but maybe I'll just try different gearing to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Slipstream
2006.05.09, 12:43 AM
Check to make sure the motor holders (set A, B and C) are correct for your set of gears (pinion and spur) On some gear sets with the wrong motor holders look like they work but the mesh is off and this could be what's causing the clicking you hear.

For what fits what look in the manual page 29

meany-z
2006.05.11, 12:06 PM
Check to make sure the motor holders (set A, B and C) are correct for your set of gears (pinion and spur) On some gear sets with the wrong motor holders look like they work but the mesh is off and this could be what's causing the clicking you hear.

For what fits what look in the manual page 29

Thanks. Its certainly something to check, but the car ran for a while with existing ones without any problem. I'll need to find a manual since I bought this used without manual.

imxlr8ed
2006.05.11, 12:28 PM
I found out that 2 of my stock axles were shot, the shaft just spins around on the yoke, there is a barely visible break at the material change. Check yours.

I would hit the gas and it would sound like spinning tires, so I picked it up and checked it out, held the tires still and blipped the throttle. The gears were all spinning, so I thought the main shaft was stripped, pulled it out and it was fine... from there, I figured that if my stock diffs were stripped, it would be very noisy... so it's gotta be something else. I then decided to check the wheels to see if they were stripped out, that's when I noticed the axles, I hit the gas again with the unstripped wheels held in place, I could see 2 of the yokes spinning but it wasn't making it out to the wheels.

I'm ordering some titanium axles to remedy this soon, strange how they didn't just make the whole axle shaft metal, yoke and all.

shuter
2006.06.07, 04:38 PM
After having the same problem with the stock axles (spinning where the plastic connects to the metal) I got a set of the Atomic Titantium axles (universal swingshafts) and found the fit and function to be very good. No more problems with this area of my AWD. They cost $26.00 but in my opinion are worth it.

sciencemike
2006.06.07, 06:25 PM
After having the same problem with the stock axles (spinning where the plastic connects to the metal) I got a set of the Atomic Titantium axles (universal swingshafts) and found the fit and function to be very good. No more problems with this area of my AWD. They cost $26.00 but in my opinion are worth it.

Agree completely, i had the same spinning metal on plastic with no friction. Its a hard one to see because there is no physical break.

Got the titanium ones. Awesome. Work without problems. Unlike the BLUE hardened kyosho ones that i broke. GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE.

ruf
2006.06.08, 09:19 AM
But I do notice when I go reverse, then suddenly full throtle forward, I can hear the gear start to skip maybe 2-3 clicks, but sounds different than the usual acceleration noise.NEVER do this. This is not a monster truck, and the drivetrain is not designed to take those kinds of loads. You may be able to get away with it on an MR02 just due to lack of traction, but not with 4WD on a grippy surface. For giggles, try doing that in a real car and see how long the transmission lasts. :p Could it possibly be the internal spider gears making the noise?

As for the Kyosho hardened universals, I just got a set in to try out. I hope mine don't break, but I'll keep an eye on them. Good to know that the Atomic's are holding up. I take it they fixed the slop issue?

LBRC
2006.06.08, 02:52 PM
Are you using the stock motor pinions, they tend to slide forward making noise as they rub against the chassis.

Checking the differential gears is a very good Idea they can be delicate.

builthatch
2006.06.08, 03:38 PM
Could it possibly be the internal spider gears making the noise?

i know this is very true for the m18 1/18 awd platform...the spider gears make a snapping noise if you punch it...the more power and more traction, the louder the snap.

Solution in the m18's case? ball diffs.

lfisminiz
2006.06.08, 08:28 PM
The Kyosho dog bones have been fine for me. The Atomic titanium dog bones are excellent also and they did fix the slop issue.

ruf
2006.06.09, 09:02 AM
I just finished up my MA010 rebuild. The Kyosho universals have very little radial slop, but there is a little axial play that I may try to shim out. We'll see. Only thing I have left to do is install a PCB, get a rear ball diff, and complete my chassis hack to the battery box. :) Oh and install the 98mm kit.