PDA

View Full Version : Made myself a free reardamper

2.7RS
2006.05.08, 04:04 PM
Hi.
I'm new to this forum, somewhat new to the world of mini-z. But not at all new to tinkering...
Here's the story. I just got myself a bone stock MR-01. After running through a batterypack, I found out that something had to be done about the handling. So I started looking around the Net. A whole new world opened up for me. Wow, all those shiny blue and purple parts :) It was so cool. I shecked out all the webshops I could find, looking for ways to make the car handle as I wanted to. My VISA melted just as I reached for my wallet.
Many a night I lay awake thinking of things I could make myself for free.
The first thing that had to go was the stock antenna. Mainly due too a higly agressive cat :) I've read all the posts I could find about hidden antennas. None of the ones I made worked, so I stole the antenna of my kid's toy-car ;)
Then I stumbled over a post about turning the tires (stock, remember) inside out. It'l have to do until I get some new ones.

Then it came to me one morning. How to make a rear damper. I went in the shed, and came out with a box full of never used parts for an airplane that never happened.

Using only a couple of balljoints, a pushrod and some fueltube, I made myself a reardamper. First I tried with a ballpoint spring. That made the Z even more uncontrollable - damping was needed.
To try to make a long story a bit shorter: A piece of fueltubing over the rod. I had to make a few cuts in it to make it soft enough.

Althoug it doesn't come with anything blue or purple I think it looks cool... Oh, and it did wonders to controll the rear end.

Hope you like it.
I will continue to tinker, and hopefully find more inexpensive upgrades on the way.

Junimrox
2006.05.08, 04:39 PM
Oh, that's cool, but it isn't too hard?

byebye
2006.05.08, 04:45 PM
GoodJob! It's a start. Trust me you'll get bitten.

-Byebye

2.7RS
2006.05.09, 02:49 AM
It's probably a bit hard, but nothing a scalpell won't fix;) For the moment it makes it possible for me to controll rear-spinnout. When I get some tires with a bit more grip, i'll probably make it softer. I've got about three feet left of the fueltube, so I can experiment a lot...

soyverde
2006.05.10, 09:55 AM
Neat. You could also put some preload on the ballpoint spring (or match another spring), using fuel tube on either side of it. This reminds me of imxlr8ed's foam damper mod (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=197243&postcount=13). That worked great for me for a while, but then, as byebye said, you get bitten. :D

Once you get some soft tires on it, you will probably see a world of difference...