PDA

View Full Version : Whoa Nelly Review for MA-010

sciencemike
2006.05.18, 05:44 PM
I just recieved/installed the Whoa Nelly Evo turbo for my MA-010.

How does it drive...WOW.

This turbo it seems is made for the AWD. When i drove 02's in the past with spider turbos, or even Nellys i found that it was hard to keep the back end in line and the cars performance was too much. But the Awd has 4 wheel power and it can easily handle the nelly. The nelly compensates for the added drag in the driveline plus a bunch. Corners are a blast with this turbo and the power goes to 4 wheels. The AWD seems to be made for this turbo. I drove 5 straight sets of batteries on this last night and 3 the night before. The performance is incredible. And the greatest thing about this upgrade is that it gets its performance from being uber efficient, just like ceramic bearings vs plastic bushings. Effiecincy i like!

The placement is easy, it can go many places, almost anywhere actually. Its just that small. But the thing i liked most about the install is you dont have to be Michaelangelo with a soldering iron. Any of you who have installed a fet stack on the 010 know what im talking about. There is ABSOLUTELY NO room to move the iron around, that damn CE box... But with just the 4 small wires to install its a breeze. I do believe anyone could do it. And it takes soo much less time than trying to get a fet stack painted with solder. I regret doing that, i was always afraid i damaged the CE box when painting the fet solder lines. What a pain that used to be..

So mounting of the ultra small board is easy, and installation of the wires is easy. I had a 3x2 stack on here, so i thought i would have a lot of torque and low resistance. I was expecting a great improvement (Based upon what i had heard), and sometimes when you are expecting a lot you are often let down. Even though the product is good, it just doesnt meet your expectations. That is ABSOLUTELY NOT the case here. I was expecting a lot and was still amazed!! Im a motor guy mostly, and i can tell exactly which of my 20+ motor armatures i have in my car just by the way they feel. But this is just crazy! I had to open up my motor case because my 37 turn motor was driving like a 28 turn. It was much faster and had more torque. I was blown away by the speed difference. But the real kicker is the responsiveness. My 3x2 stack has a slight lag in it. Due to the board not being setup to operate 6 fets. But the NELLY is! And you can feel it. Its soo quick in response time its crazy! I find that many motors are just too fast for the track, but this turbo gives more torque, and a faster response time, as well as a smoother power curve, and a higher top speed..

One of the things i like most about it is you can use a VDS shell with it. In an AWD with a 3x2 stack of fets, the VDS shell hits the top of the fets and doesnt sit on the chassis. With this turbo that problem is resolved. So for those of you who are planning on racing unlimited class with the VDS shell, or those of you who just want your car to scream this is a must have!

No other upgrade has made such a positive difference in my car. I whole hartedly endorse this product. I cant say that about any other thing i have on my car. (Maybe my titanium atomic CVD's )

As for drifting, if you want more motor control, or the ability to run even the fastest of motors, this is your upgrade. You should be able to break traction on concrete with 10 degree tires with the right armature and this turbo.

Any comments or questions are welcomed..

Some photos of it installed:
i was in a rush to drive it so the top cover isnt screwed on-please excuse my hasty excitement. Oh yeah it comes with plastic heat shrink to insulate the electronics package but i didnt put it on..

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ScienceMike/DSC00411.jpg
Can you say LOW profile..!!
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ScienceMike/DSC00418.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ScienceMike/DSC00415.jpg

Limeaway
2006.05.18, 06:46 PM
Nice review ScienceMike! Get a video!

EsEmMods
2006.05.18, 08:20 PM
Nice Xmod crystal lol, and plz do get a video up.

sciencemike
2006.05.19, 01:02 AM
No problemo on the vids... Just need a couple of days for that..

Update time... Just got back from the thursday night races. My car was awesome for the first time. I was keeping up or passing cars (02's) on the straight away. They always beat me on the straights, but i used to attempt to hold my own on the curves. But tonight was a whole different story. I would keep up or beat them on the strights and out corner them through the twists.. Now, if i can just stay off the walls a little better.. They are a lot better drivers than i am, but i was definately in the pack tonight. It felt great to know that i can compete with these guys who have been racing for decades!!

Spoon
2006.05.19, 09:06 AM
That's a great review you put together Mike. I have two AWD's one that I am keeping stock for drift and another that I am thinking of using as a mod car. This turbo just might be the ticket.

EDIT: I have a couple of quick questions Mike.

1) The red and black wires go to power right? Did you solder those directly to the battery terminals?

2) Do the white wires go to the motor? How did you connect those?

Do you have any pics of those attachments?

Albo
2006.05.19, 11:55 AM
That's a great review you put together Mike. I have two AWD's one that I am keeping stock for drift and another that I am thinking of using as a mod car. This turbo just might be the ticket.

EDIT: I have a couple of quick questions Mike.

1) The red and black wires go to power right? Did you solder those directly to the battery terminals?

2) Do the white wires go to the motor? How did you connect those?

Do you have any pics of those attachments?

I have a Stacked Nelly Turbo which is the same thing but with stacked FET's. The white wires go on the motor caps where the solder is. And yes, the red & black wires go on the battery terminals.

Spoon
2006.05.19, 12:15 PM
I have a Stacked Nelly Turbo which is the same thing but with stacked FET's. The white wires go on the motor caps where the solder is. And yes, the red & black wires go on the battery terminals.

Interesting. That would make it kind of annoying to change out the motor. You couldn't even put a connector because the area to feed the motor wires is so small.

Is there any way around it?

traxxasman215
2006.05.19, 02:26 PM
Interesting. That would make it kind of annoying to change out the motor. You couldn't even put a connector because the area to feed the motor wires is so small.

Is there any way around it?
There is another version of the nelly turbo with the connectors so you can easily change out the motors. Go to woahnelly.com and you'll see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: apparently the newer version do not come with the option

sciencemike
2006.05.19, 02:26 PM
@ Spoon,

Heres the first pic you wanted.. The power wires (Redblack) can either go to the board +- rails or the power supply. either works fine.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ScienceMike/DSC00410.jpg

Now as to the connectors, yes im planning on putting in some plugs like i had in my previous 010 setup. It makes switching motors in and out soo easy. And yes they will fit through the motor case hole. I Did it before and ill do it again. Switching motors is exactly what this nelly is designed for this beast can handle almost any motor you want to throw at it. So why not have those ready for your mod car, and just pop them in when you need them. Guys at my track were running PN-Animas in their 02's i was running 35 turn double wind arms that cost me 4.95$ and my 010 was keeping up. But i want to have a set ready for the track. A40T, 37T, 35 T, 32T, 30T, 28T. Total it would cost me 30 bucks and spoon you are right i would like to just pop in whatever motor is needed for the track. I agree that the clip/pin connection will be a necessary addition. I have all the parts and Ill make the mod this weekend, and post it up. Time is my only problem....

I cant say it enough, the 010 lacks in high speed because the drivetrain sucks it out. This gives you back the performance that the driveline robs. I made two adjustments last night on my car. The first was the nelly, and my car was soo hot. The second was i switched camber from 1.5 F -0.5 R to 3F 2R. My car is soo much smoother around the high speed corners (no more skipping or hopping, just a smooth arc), and comes out of all the corners much hotter.

M.

Spoon
2006.05.19, 03:23 PM
@ Spoon,

Heres the first pic you wanted.. The power wires (Redblack) can either go to the board +- rails or the power supply. either works fine.

Thanks for the picture and the info Mike. I am defintely going to pick up a turbo. I am going to check my LHS to see if they have any micro connectors in stock, then I'll probably order one.

ARN
2006.05.19, 05:37 PM
It is possible to spec order from ph2t@tpg.com.au
(A special build). though I don’t know what you will be quoted or if he is still doing that....but I will say this...: the one I spec'ed out from him for my build is Awesome.....well worth the $...and besides he is a very pleasant guy to talk via e-mail with.

ARN
2006.05.19, 05:40 PM
i will have pics posted soon....im waiting for the new body & paint...then i will show off the monster! (pan car)

sciencemike
2006.05.19, 06:26 PM
@Z-Zaniac... Agree completely!

They have them at many shops online as well. I dont think the shop here carries them, so i dont mind sharing the info..

Heres a US distributor... good guy to deal with as well..

http://www.teammnm.net/

Heres the mother site....

http://www.woahnelly.com/

From there you can get what you need..Info, products, links...ETC.. I know they are carried by more people's sites i just cant remember who else.

PS i hope no one minds that I listed these sites including the operators of those sites.

Albo
2006.05.19, 06:47 PM
@Z-Zaniac... Agree completely!

They have them at many shops online as well. I dont think the shop here carries them, so i dont mind sharing the info..

Heres a US distributor... good guy to deal with as well..

http://www.teammnm.net/

Heres the mother site....

http://www.woahnelly.com/

From there you can get what you need..Info, products, links...ETC.. I know they are carried by more people's sites i just cant remember who else.

PS i hope no one minds that I listed these sites including the operators of those sites.

http://undergroundxmods.com/catalog/ This guy sells the Stacked Nelly Turbo which is better than the Nelly Turbo. But if your interested in the Nelly Turbo instead of the Stacked version go with Mike's choices.

ARN
2006.05.19, 11:16 PM
I think I understood that the whoaNelly that uses the stacked fets are not the super mosfets used on the evo or the one I have...maybe if ph2t could elaborate and clear this up?...I hope im not just ignorant of the issue....
but eitherway these are nice....

ARN
2006.05.19, 11:32 PM
S.MIKE check this:

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Aaron/mini001.jpg
http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Aaron/mini002.jpg

sciencemike
2006.05.20, 12:17 AM
I would venture to guess that they use the same fets, but we will let the expert weigh in.

Thank you Albo for your input. I couldnt remember the other sellers. Overkill is the concept i want to stress here. I looked into the EVO Stacked nelly. It seems like a strong product as well.

But the utility of the stacked nelly is really in question. I sometimes run my sanyo 1100's, they should have the one of the highest discharge rates of most AAA batteries out there. Running these batteries with anything less than 24-28 turns causes the car to run at a lower voltage (Too high of current draw.). Therefore the steering becomes erradic and sticks, and glitches. This is because NiMH batteries cant push that kind of juice for any appreciable amount of time. The Nelly Evo can easily cover the 20+ turn range so it makes the Stacked nelly evo an overkill. That is of course unless you want to run lithiums. But in that case you should really be using a Nelly Deluxe with its voltage regulator to keep your steering in good shape.. So basically there is no real point in mini z's to run a stacked nelly evo.

I also find that a 28 turn motor is just way too fast for any track i have driven, and they dump the batts way too quickly. I tend to drive the 32-40 turn motors in my awd.

EDIT>>>>

Z Zaniac, WOw that looks good... Man you have to tell me how it does at the track. Thats a Nelly Deluxe isnt it? Lithiums? Get pics of it all together. Ill show you pics of my project car..Soon...AWD, VDS, Carbon Chassis, MR02 style batts, AD board.

Cheezman
2006.05.22, 06:09 PM
I think I understood that the whoaNelly that uses the stacked fets are not the super mosfets used on the evo or the one I have...maybe if ph2t could elaborate and clear this up?...I hope im not just ignorant of the issue....
but eitherway these are nice....

They are the same FET's used on the normal Nelly Evo, only stacked...