PDA

View Full Version : How does this setup sound?

builthatch
2006.05.25, 10:25 AM
Now that i have RCP at my house, i have had the opportunity to fine tune my handling setup a bit more, and this is what i've come up with that works pretty well. Give me suggestions if you see anything that could be changed.

Keep in mind this is suspension and handling stuff listed only, if there is something else that might need to be listed that is pertinent, let me know.

mr-02 Mclaren
8 degree rads all the way around, worn to slicks
0 deg tie rod
0 degree delrin knuckles
PN PURPLE springs, middle of the road with their 5 spring choices
4 Kyosho shims per knuckle, and short limiter flipped upside down so wide flare is facing up and spring is sitting on knuckle
Kyosho stainless pins, polished by sticking in dremel with metal polish
Atomic Ti 98mm DDS, polished w/ delrin disks, no lube on plate
Atomic option BlUE spring on bottom (hardest), Atomic option GREEN spring on top (softest)
Kyosho medium CF h-plate
Kyosho ball diff is set at 60-70% tight

The motor is an Atomic Z2 with 7T (fast for a 2 tile mini-96!)

My EPA's are set just until the servo motor starts to struggle because the wheels don't go any more, then i backed off a notch. Dual rate is at 100%. This way i have max steering and if i need less, i can dial it out with DR (duh!)

It seems to be handling very well for me right now; i just finished fine-tuning it last night and took it for some late night runs, so more testing will yield more definitive results, but it was better than what i had before, which was a setup for running on the semi-painted garage floor! With that setup, i had zero on-power turning, which is a must if you want to NOT be pointing and shooting, and letting off with the Z2 is like hitting the brakes, so keeping the throttle going is key, but with that you need to have on-power rotation ability w/o oversteering.

ARN
2006.05.25, 10:39 AM
the purple work real well for me also.
just an fyi, PN purple spring is just above kyosho green, next is white then yellow same as kyosho yellow.
Yellow - Preload lift 175g = Kyosho Yellow
White - Preload lift 140g
Purple - Preload lift 115g
Green - Preload lift 100g = Kyosho Green
Red - Preload lift 55g = Kyosho Green

builthatch
2006.05.25, 10:57 AM
i love the articulation you can get with these cars; you look at the small springs and you are like how can this make a difference....

red - preload 55g = kyosho red

the PN site had the same misprint that red = green....

Spoon
2006.05.25, 11:16 AM
It sounds like you put a lot of thougt and time into the setup. I don't really have any comments or suggestions for changing anything. Without knowing how you drive I don't know if I could say anything useful.

That being said, it sounds like you have a perfect baseline for driving at other tracks. You could probably just make a quick tire or suspension change if you race at another track. You won't be starting from scratch.

You mentioned the drag brake on the T2. I am running an Atomic BB stock in my F1 and an AWD BB Stock in my AWD and I really like that drag brake feel for going into the corners. I am impressed that you can even get around that narrow track with that much power. My Fetted MR02 is basically useless on my Mini-96.

Now that I am saying that, I will mention one thing. If you don't get a chance to open your car up full speed on the Mini-96, you may find that it handles differently on a Wide-L. I had that problem. Everything was fine on my Mini but when I was able to open it full throttle on a larger track I tons of spinout problems.

I also don't know which controller you are using but your EPA setting sound perfect. That's the same way I setup my controller.

Just my 2 cents.

ARN
2006.05.25, 12:01 PM
the purple work real well for me also.
just an fyi, PN purple spring is just above kyosho green, next is white then yellow same as kyosho yellow.
Yellow - Preload lift 175g = Kyosho Yellow
White - Preload lift 140g
Purple - Preload lift 115g
Green - Preload lift 100g = Kyosho Green

lol, i didnt even notice....i will give PN a note....(i usualy disreagard red altogether...lol)

locwan
2006.07.28, 11:36 PM
4 Kyosho shims per knuckle, and short limiter flipped upside down so wide flare is facing up and spring is sitting on knuckle

I'm curious, why flip the limiter upside down? What's the benifit of doing that? :rolleyes:

cowboysir
2006.07.30, 10:27 AM
Does the Atomic motor you describe have neo mags? The reason i ask is I wonder if you'd want to try switching out one neo mag to a ferrite based one...you do reduce your torque from the motor but you also decrease the amount of braking when your throttle is at neutral.

I have yet to try this concept, but it seems plausible.