PDA

View Full Version : cleaning and heat/humidity

builthatch
2006.05.28, 12:23 PM
now, i've read the directions of course, but i'd like to know what's the best way to manage the dust and keep the track clean? I have a brand new vacuum (upright), but i am worried the brush, even on the highest setting, would 'burn' the track if it hit it..i took it for a pass on the track and it didn't sound good when that spinning brush did hit...didn't do damage, but i feel like it wouldcould if i used the vac often. i guess just use a brushless attachement? I have a nice compressor that seems to blow a decent amount of dust off, but i want to rid the track of the dust each time, not just blow it off/ around.

also, i am keeping the track in my garage. it won't see the sun, however, in the summer, it approaches 100 degrees in there during the day considering the humidity (it might only be 80-90 out, but the humidity jacks that up a bit). Should i be concerned at all about the health of the track in these conditions? I know it's not all that rough, but still- anything i can do to help it stay nice is a plus.

arch2b
2006.05.28, 12:45 PM
yes, vaccuum brushes can burn indents into the track. i've done it before :o also, if you use a low enough setting all the time you brush off a lot of the texture.

blowing the dust off with air is not a real solution either as it just circulates in the air. my brand new track produced very fine dust which also can not be the best to inhale. :confused:

later, the dust particals get much larger...

i use an upright wiht the highest setting which doesn't touch the traack. if you have the time and energy, using the hand held atachment for furniture would be good. it would take me hours to do that though so i opt for the quicker approach which isn't necessarily the best approach

rharris
2006.05.30, 12:28 PM
It's a Broom, It's a vacuum, It's cordless, It even makes Julian Fry's! And it was on sale at home depot for $39.99.

After we cut some "obstacles" into our track with the vacuum cleaner, I went looking for a new option.

Cordless is nice. You just pick it up and start sweeping the track. It doesn't have the best suction, but it's enough to pick up the dust and track debris.

I've had mine for a few weeks now and we like it.

rlc77
2006.05.30, 05:50 PM
I use the hose, on my Kirby, with this attachment. Leaves the track looking new. :cool:

builthatch
2006.05.30, 09:02 PM
I use the hose, on my Kirby, with this attachment. Leaves the track looking new. :cool:

ahhh, i spent like 20 minutes using my new bissell with a similar attachment, but about 10X TOO small lol...

i need to hunt down the piece you have. are those bristles really soft or hard?

BTW, how's that 2PL working for you? I actually need one now as my GF has gotten into this ever so slowly....she likes the track (thankfully).

rlc77
2006.05.30, 09:08 PM
are those bristles really soft or hard?I'd say more medium. Not real hard, but not real soft either. I would like it to be wider, but it doesn't take that long to do the whole track. Worth it to me. :)

I love the 2PL. I have 2 of them now. Thanks again.

builthatch
2006.06.04, 11:32 PM
I'd say more medium. Not real hard, but not real soft either. I would like it to be wider, but it doesn't take that long to do the whole track. Worth it to me. :)

I love the 2PL. I have 2 of them now. Thanks again.

i didn't get a new brush attachment but i did figure out a nice way to use my upright on the track...

i think i mentioned that i got this new Bissell. anyway, it's got a super easy brush removal system (the one that normally burns up an RCP track) i take it out and whaalah- super suction, wide track, no damage and speedy cleanup.

byebye
2006.06.05, 02:10 AM
I too have put new grooves in the track from the vacuum. My biggest problem after 2 years is the dog hair. You've got it right now though :).

I now have a gate up in the doorway to keep the dog off.

-Byebye

builthatch
2006.06.05, 10:05 AM
My biggest problem after 2 years is the dog hair. You've got it right now though :).

I now have a gate up in the doorway to keep the dog off.

-Byebye

or paw prints ; )

I do the same thing w/ the gate; my boxer doesn't shed all that much, but man, his paws always love to leave dusty marks...and if he happens to take off because he sees/ hears something outside the garage, his little nails will put small pinholes in the side rails...prolly the track too, but that is pretty self-repairing. So yeah, i usually keep the gate up just as you do, but i've been yelling at him about it so i think he might be learning ; )

simpleskin
2006.07.21, 08:21 AM
or paw prints ; ))

My old dog loved to sleep in the basement since it's cooler than the rest of the house. Once I put my RCP track down there he thought I gave him a bed. He would sleep on the track for hours. The only way to get him off was to start running the cars!
:)

arch2b
2006.07.21, 08:26 AM
we have the 'electric fence' and i installed one of the interior sensors underneath the top of the basement stairs so that my brothers large dog can walk by but not come down the basement stairs. it's extreme maybe but he puts tears in the foam with his claws and the never ending drool is just plain disgusting and stains the foam/floor. my dog simply hates the surface so never goes on the track.

Draconious
2006.07.21, 11:18 AM
inhaling dust, ive been sick the last few days, and the slightest thing, grass clippings outside, new carpet smell, heat, and rcp dust were big time irratants lol... it cannot be good no... I think it was the new carpet that made me sick... and or the guy that installed it with the runny nose lol.

bolter9
2006.07.21, 03:08 PM
I use a cordless mini-vac with the carpet attachment. Works fine for the most part. If the track gets a lot of pet hair on it, I use one of those sticky rollers for getting pet hair off your clothes.

Regarding storage temperature- I keep my track in the garage where it hits 100+ daily throughout the summer- been doing that for two yrs now with no problems. I keep it stacked in the corner during the week, and set it up on the weekends...no warping has occured to date.

JOE KROSNER
2006.09.28, 04:58 PM
Hood And I Have Found That A Good Shop Vac (any Brand) With The Small Hard Floor Attachment Works Great. Hood Purchased Tnb Track And We Have Now Begun The Cleaning Process. A Ton Of Work !!!!!!!