PDA

View Full Version : Side Dampers..anything I need to know

FenDer BenDer
2002.03.30, 11:12 PM
Well I just put on a set of side dampers for my mini Z
I ditched the stock spring that came with them (green) and put on a slightly softer set (blue). Had a hard time getting everything set up the way I wanted it (lowered my Z, think that made it tough). Now there seems to be a HUGE improvment in cornering. Not only can I enter the corner with a higher speed (with no spin) I can exit the corner like a rocket !! I am really happy with this little improvement on my Z.

BTW..Car was tested on MY track so race conditions remain the same for every test I do...just to let you know.

Car Stats:
NSX body
long wheel base
15 deg front tires
10 deg rear tires
center damper (green spring)
side damper (blue springs)
bearings (7)
alloy wheel nuts
clear chassis

Motor - stock
Turbo - Nope

So in my closing if you are looking for a hop-up that will work, try the side damper. I really think it is a RACE ONLY hop-up, so if you drive you mini-z around and chase the cat don't bother with them
I did not notice any diff until I really started to push the car..

thanks

PorscheGuy964
2002.03.30, 11:43 PM
yea I like roll shock they make my car handle alot better than before without the set. What roll shock set do have? I used to have the RCRM friction ones but I stopped using those ase they were such a hassle to get working. I now have the GPM roll shocks that have oil filled dampning action going on and those are by far the best in my opinion.You don't have to change out springs to change the setup you simply adjust the tension as the actual shock body is threaded so you can tighten it or loosen it depending on the track conditions.

Also do you really have 10 degree rear tires? I haev never heard of 10 degrees or seen them, I haev seen 15 degree tires though and wondered how good those actually are.

FenDer BenDer
2002.03.31, 07:53 AM
I just have the spring type side dampers, wanted oilled filled but none in my area'a LHS so I got what I could, but even the springs (set right) make a 100% difference to my car, so I am very happy.
As for the maker I think they are "top RC racing" but I will have to check.

And as for the tires yup 10 deg they are made by GPM and are the ones for the Mercedes, they work so well it is like you are running on a rail. only down side is they wear out fast..

running on my track I have probaly done 200-500 laps so far and I see real signs of wear on the rear tires, the fronts have wear as well but not as defined..

Scoobaru
2002.03.31, 08:47 AM
Hey FenDer,

I see you've been out to Galaxy yesterday... heehee.... hmm, now I guess I'll have en even harder time chasing you around the track!!!

I had some time yesterday to do a little shopping but to my disappointment, everywhere I went, they were sold out of the 10s and 5s. And plus, I think shipping and stuff are on delay for everyone cause they all seem to be on a shortage of Z parts. None of them had any of the things I wanted!!!:( But atleast I got some foams for you, and some 15's for myself.... :p

Hmm, I've got to check out your setup for the roll shocks next tiem week meet...... think I need to play around with the setting on mine bit, but i'm finding the green springs to soften on me too much now.

Are we still on for Wednesday track night?.....:D

Thanks,

Scoobaru:D

funkydog
2002.03.31, 11:17 AM
hey guys,

with roll shocks, what h plate do u use?
i think to take full advantage of the roll shocks, you have to either use the original h plate, or the thinnest carbon fibre h plate (unfortunately mine broke). If you use the stiffer h plates, you're not allowing the springs to control the roll, instead, the h plate does.

PorscheGuy964
2002.03.31, 11:27 AM
with my shock set I'm using the softest carbon fiber h-plate and it doesn't inhibit my roll shock performance at all.

Scoobaru
2002.03.31, 12:39 PM
i'm currently using the stock h plate (because the carbon one snapped on me ) but i found the stock gives the best amount of flex and roll. i did use the soft carbon h plates for a while, but it seemed to be better with the stock....

my 0.02

Scoob:D

FenDer BenDer
2002.03.31, 01:31 PM
I use the light carbon "H" plate amd the blue springs on my Z
seems to be setup just right..noticed something else on the NSX body the center damper rubs on the rear window...kinda sucks always looks like you car is sitting crooked..but does not seem to affect handling..

Scoob - thanks for the foams, and Wed is still on !!!, did you work on that bumper at all...Galaxy has 10's but only in 11 mm maybe you can get a set and cut them down to fit ??..would be well worth it...no more flips !!
hehe

thanks