PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell if you have flat spots on the diff balls?

builthatch
2006.06.01, 12:27 AM
preferably, i'd like to know if it's possible with the diff assembled; i just rebuilt it and it seems like it comes to a stop on every ball if that makes any sense, so if i spin one wheel, it clicks rhythmically in a frequency that seeems like it's at each ball.

the diff is set at about 75-80% tight and it still does it if i loosen it...i can't recall it doing this before i got my RCP track.

the entire diff was cleaned and relubed with as little lube as possible, just like i always do.

car seems to run fine on the track! so i dunno....

EMU
2006.06.01, 03:12 AM
It may not be flat spots on the balls, but may also be a ding/dent/ditch in one of the plates. It makes more sense to me...

Biff
2006.06.01, 10:42 AM
Put a little bit of water on some 600 grit sandpaper and using a very flat surface, sand the rings in a circular motion untill smooth.

builthatch
2006.06.01, 11:09 AM
Put a little bit of water on some 600 grit sandpaper and using a very flat surface, sand the rings in a circular motion untill smooth.

yeah, i flip and sand everytime i rebuild...the plates were perfectly flat when i assembled it, but i didn't check the balls....

well, i guess it can't hurt to just get new ones, along with new plates. I'll go with some harder balls like those sexy ones reflexracing was pushing.

ruf
2006.06.06, 10:31 AM
Check your thrust bearing dumas. :p

builthatch
2006.06.06, 10:16 PM
Check your thrust bearing dumas. :p

for once in your life RUF, you were/are correct about something :cool:

it was the bearing...though it was smooth with a load "radially", i guess the axial loads have taken it's toll because i replaced it (the stock kyosho ball diff bearing) with a rubber sealed, yet freshly cleaned&oiled PN bearing from an old set i had around and magically, it's butter, BUTTER smooth.

GTHammer
2006.09.06, 09:19 PM
preferably, i'd like to know if it's possible with the diff assembled; i just rebuilt it and it seems like it comes to a stop on every ball if that makes any sense, so if i spin one wheel, it clicks rhythmically in a frequency that seeems like it's at each ball.

the diff is set at about 75-80% tight and it still does it if i loosen it...i can't recall it doing this before i got my RCP track.

the entire diff was cleaned and relubed with as little lube as possible, just like i always do.

car seems to run fine on the track! so i dunno....

If you have an old knife stone (one that is flat) and some cutting oil this will work very well on the disc (s) just make sure you keep it flat and full of cutting oil. Work the disc in a circular motion on the fine side of the stone and you will be very happy with the results.