PDA

View Full Version : TYRE's to use in RCP Track

carrapateira
2006.06.12, 03:28 PM
Hi, what are your recommendations of TYRES to use in the RCP Tracks??

Atomic 30 in the front and atomic 10 with design in the back?

Maybe kyosho tyres work better???

Thanks for your help

Mazda787b
2006.06.12, 04:19 PM
It all depends on what you like. I ran Ribbed Atomic 10* in the rear with slick 20* in front. I hear people running GPM 8* with good results.

What kind of car are you running?

LBRC
2006.06.12, 05:27 PM
Rear
For a MM MR-02 I Really like the GPM 8ís for the rear on the RCP, have decided that when theyíre brand spanking new right out of the package I prefer the Radial Shape C tread patters sometimes referred to as the AVS edge but for the long run I prefer the deeper pattern of the Shape E or Hypro edge. For a RM I like the Atomic grooved tires and the GPM 8ís. Just as an off topic note the Atomic Grooved in harder compounds are also my preference for larger non RCP tracks like carpet, sand painted wood or concrete, and such. I do not like the Atomic AW grooved for the rear on any MR-01 or MR-02 but that is just my preference.

Front
A choice for the front is harder since, for me at least, it depends on the body, motor, suspension, etc. For a stock MM Enzo I like the GPMís, 20 degree or even a little softer. On a heavily modified McLaren I prefer Atomic 20 degree slicks. Since I didnít know what to do with the wide Atomic AW grooved rear tires I bought I stuck them on the front of a Tagu 1/24 conversion and actually really like them as fronts for it on a small (2 Wide-L) technical RCP track, go figure, in the long run it all just depends on the car and personal preference.

For the MA-10 it not only depends on your set-up but how you want to drive it. Iím still playing around with the drive train, sliding (wouldn't exactly call it drifting :rolleyes: ) and bashing around so have no real useful input as yet.

color01
2006.06.13, 06:35 AM
guys, i have a question too, thought it would be most appropriate in here.

looking at some of arch's pics in the gallery, RCP foam is rather porous, and to an extent, rough. being soft to boot, it kinda resembles scale gravel. in the case, wouldn't it be advantageous to use spiked tires to gain maximum grip? not only do you dig into the pores, but the surface itself will give you a little more spring-back action and thus a little more forward traction.

maybe i'm just sleepy... :rolleyes:

briankstan
2006.06.13, 09:32 AM
spiked tires? why? one a RCP track with GPM 8* tires you will have more than enough grip :D

I don't think anyone makes spiked tires anyway, and they sure don't sound like they would be easy on the track surface either. :eek:

Original question: on my RM I like the GPM 8* on the front and rear, but every car is different, on my MM I like a harder tire in the front a 10* or a 15*.

machine
2006.06.13, 12:48 PM
On my RM I run 8's on the back and 10's on the front. I like to drive aggresively and usually have about 125% steering travel. When the tires start to show signs of wear i either clean them with motor spray, or run them on sandpaper to take any glazing off.
It's pretty much the same thing on my MM cars, but I go up a compound in the rear. So 10's in the rear and front.

I tried the atomic ribbed tires and don't like them at all. I find that the rear pushes in a corner with the softer compound tires. Slick's work great and the GPM treaded tires work great after you wash them with warm water and soap to remove the mold release and give them a light sand. I'm currently running the 3Racing 8's and the work really well out of the package, they don't last as long as anything else i've tried.

So guys around here use the galardi (sp?) medium foam tires. I haven't tired them yet.

Oh and is your going to try spike tires, not on my track mister yuk yuk.

bolter9
2006.06.13, 02:58 PM
I've been using the Kyosho MT tires lately with good results (on RCP). I usually just run the softest compounds I can get...20-10.

I agree with Machine on the Atomic ribbed tires- I hated them, but had a friend who liked them and raced quite well on them.

911GT3
2006.06.14, 05:16 AM
For an MR02 I use 8s on the rear and 15 to 20s on the front. Usually Kyosho or PN.

undertow
2006.07.14, 08:31 AM
Here we use 30 atomic (ar03 ) or 40 Atomic groove in the front and 8gpm rear.

Slipstream
2006.07.14, 09:29 PM
guys, i have a question too, thought it would be most appropriate in here.

looking at some of arch's pics in the gallery, RCP foam is rather porous, and to an extent, rough. being soft to boot, it kinda resembles scale gravel. in the case, wouldn't it be advantageous to use spiked tires to gain maximum grip? not only do you dig into the pores, but the surface itself will give you a little more spring-back action and thus a little more forward traction.

maybe i'm just sleepy... :rolleyes:

Not running a mini z but an 18 scale truck/buggy/truggy. Yes spikes grip better on RCP.

birdy233
2007.01.30, 04:10 PM
anyone try the new PN racing tires (8 degree tires) on a RCP track, was thinking about getting a set and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on this tire...

briankstan
2007.01.30, 04:30 PM
anyone try the new PN racing tires (8 degree tires) on a RCP track, was thinking about getting a set and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on this tire...

those are good tires. I run them.

birdy233
2007.01.30, 04:38 PM
thanks, I will order a set today!

hobbycar
2007.01.30, 08:42 PM
Here's a Good Thread on tires for RCP Discussion (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21347&page=6&pp=15).

As I said in that thread I have used the Kyosho Radial 20degree tires ever since they became readily available last fall for all of my serious racing. You can find them in the Shop here (try searching "Radial Tire").

-hobbycar

shuter
2007.01.30, 09:31 PM
Here's a Good Thread on tires for RCP Discussion (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21347&page=6&pp=15).

As I said in that thread I have used the Kyosho Radial 20degree tires ever since they became readily available last fall for all of my serious racing. You can find them in the Shop here (try searching "Radial Tire").

-hobbycar

I made the switch to Kyosho tires a few months ago when I replaced a set of worn GPM/RCKenon tires only to find they were not the same hardness as the ones I had been running. :eek: Took me quite a while to get the car handling properly again. I have had very good results with the Kyosho tires and they are predictable from set to set. I really like that they have the hardness degree printed on the sidewall. Now I can easily and positively identify all of my used tires. :D

I don't think they wear out nearly as fast. Have you found this to be the case?

marc
2008.06.18, 02:38 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to receive my first RCP Mini96 any day now. I also purchased from EGR Mart, a set of Atomic tires of which the rear's were advertised as being specially designed super grippy RCP tires. Pictured here on my new Team Atlis wheel's.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07806.jpg
As soon as I get my track, I'll try the tires on my 962 and let you know how well they grip.

Programmers
2008.06.18, 06:31 PM
I'm currently loving Kyosho 20's and 30's! They just keep on solving my issues with their superb grip.

Twitchy-ness
Sliding
Unpredictability
Etc, etc...

All solved with Kyosho 20's all around or 20 rear 30 fronts.

I spent an evening tonight trying to hook up with Atomics on my AWD. Then my first set of K20 rears and K30 fronts and it flew!

They're top notch. Give em a bash.

reechaard
2008.06.26, 01:45 PM
I use Kyosho 40's in the front and Kyosho 20's in hte rear. Works great for me
on RCP track.