PDA

View Full Version : idea

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 01:35 AM
i think it would be cool to make a f150 a duallie.does any one have a set of fender flares of a model truck or somthing?

2006.06.16, 03:06 AM
uhhh dude, you cant get a '150 in a duallie. you'd have to get an F250 body in order to make a duallie, and then you'd have trouble getting the rear rims to work and look decent.

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 01:40 PM
uhh dude just like it says make it into a duallie and why does it matter if it a f150 or f250?

tzero
2006.06.16, 02:00 PM
I was thinking of getting the extra wide Tagu rims for my Overland so it would have duallys.

Spoon
2006.06.16, 02:14 PM
I was thinking of getting the extra wide Tagu rims for my Overland so it would have duallys.

That would be pretty cool. I don't think I've seen anything like that before. I am looking forward to pics.

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 02:47 PM
i cant seem to find the fender for a duallie

jjlove
2006.06.16, 04:02 PM
There is a guy who races one at the track that I go to. I will try to snap a pic of it tonight and post it.

He likes the way it handles with the extra wide offset.

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 04:42 PM
thanks it would help alot im thinking of going to wally world and seeing if i cant find a chevy duallie since im a chevy guy lol.

jjlove
2006.06.16, 04:44 PM
It would be nice to use a body that has the wheel wells so the tires don't stick out of the body. Good luck.

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 04:55 PM
thats what ive been lookin for and i dont think it going to happen but ill keep my fingers crossed

marc
2006.06.16, 07:44 PM
Make your own fenders. Take some plastic board and filler and do it!

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 10:50 PM
this might sound stupid but were do you get filler? or can i use bondo?lol

marc
2006.06.16, 10:57 PM
You could use bondo, but that tends to get heavy. Your local hobby store should have either green or white putty. Putty is also known as filler. I think a company called Squadron makes it. Just ask your local hobby store.

CHEVY_454
2006.06.16, 11:32 PM
and i was thinking of making a 4 link for it has it ever been done? and also my truck hasnt been running as strong as it usually is is it the fets?

traxxasman215
2006.06.17, 08:57 AM
and i was thinking of making a 4 link for it has it ever been done? and also my truck hasnt been running as strong as it usually is is it the fets?
It could be a lot of things that are making it "not as strong". First it can be that your batteries are wearing out. It can also be your motor. Or it can just be your imagination.

I don't think a 4 link would be this practical at this scale. You would have to find some pretty short links and a way to attach them.

james399
2006.06.21, 10:50 PM
the dullie truck is pretty popular in model kits and cheap 4-5 dollar toys (like at super markets) measure the wheel base, and take a ruler with you and look for somthing with the same width and length...

the interesting problem is... how do you make it a functional dually with 4 tires in the back that turn??

it wouldn't make sense to glue the wheels because the shaft will never reach...

if you figure out a solution to this problem.. post picts... and a tut... im sure lots of guys out there would love this...

-james

G-Class
2006.06.22, 10:01 AM
the interesting problem is... how do you make it a functional dually with 4 tires in the back that turn?? -james

I think if you got really wide rims, you might be able to put 2 standard OL tires on each rim.

That would be pretty cool. I don't think I've seen anything like that before. I am looking forward to pics.

Someone on this forum posted dually pictures on here awhile ago. Try a search.

Make your own fenders. Take some plastic board and filler and do it!

You may also be able to use the bottoms of some pill bottles, and then cut them to shape, kind of like the way I did to make my wheelwells, but just put them on the outside. (See link.)
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=3231&cat=751&page=1

james399
2006.06.22, 05:08 PM
Hmmm... That might work, putting two regular tires, on a wide rim??

i thought i remembered seeing a dually on here, but i thought it might have been my imagination... lol... its been a while since ive been on this forum...

I think if you got really wide rims, you might be able to put 2 standard OL tires on each rim.

Someone on this forum posted dually pictures on here awhile ago. Try a search.

You may also be able to use the bottoms of some pill bottles, and then cut them to shape, kind of like the way I did to make my wheelwells, but just put them on the outside. (See link.)
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=3231&cat=751&page=1

CHEVY_454
2006.06.22, 05:22 PM
i havent made no progress because im saving up money to get bearings,stage4 fet upgrade and a pn anima motor or somthin like it.

james399
2006.06.22, 06:22 PM
if you are saving up, i think the stage 4 is a bit of overkill...

if you are running big tires, having the 4fet upgrade, and a super motor, will cause your truck to flip constantly... with super swampers, or even legos, with any kind of suspension or body lift, you are going to get a lot of tipping... do a search, and see what other people say about the 2x4... personally i think it is overkill... i have had no problems with the 2x3.. or 3x2, however way you are supposed to say it...

there was a guy on here that made a 2x7, and he turned his car, into a rally type vehicle... do a search for it, it was awesome...

i havent made no progress because im saving up money to get bearings,stage4 fet upgrade and a pn anima motor or somthin like it.

CHEVY_454
2006.06.22, 11:20 PM
well i tkink im going to make a trail truck so what stage would be good?and why would a stage4 be overkill?

james399
2006.06.23, 12:49 AM
well i tkink im going to make a trail truck so what stage would be good?and why would a stage4 be overkill?

ok... kind of long...

stage 4 would be overkill, because you will probably not need those extra FET's and they cost money... not for a trail truck anyway...because in the case of a trail truck, you are not wanting to run a hotter motor, you want to run bigger tires...)

for example... with an OL 3x2 stack you can run just about any motor, tire, and suspension setting... why is this important???

lets say you want to lower your Ol and try to make a racer... well, you can use the stock tires, and put a juiced motor (within reason) and the truck will handle it just fine, and you will have a cool lowered racing truck... (do a search if you want to do this)

lets say you want to put the huge xrm tires on there, to do some monster truck action... then the FETS will allow you to run those bigger tires.... (do a search if you want to do this)

lets say you want to do moderate outdoor trail truck type stuff... modest rock crawling etc... (which is what i like to do too.. and am building a 1/10 tlt based crawler right now :eek: )

well in that case you want to raise your truck body and suspension to allow for wheel travel and ground clearance...you also want to add tires like the super swampers to give you a little more round clearance for the rear axle...

only problem with all this lifting your doing is that you are raising your center of gravity which translates to tipping over more.... if you get a 4x2 stack, that means you can run just about any motor you want right?? well are you going to run a super v-12 motor?? you can, but you will end up slamming your truck into things, and flipping it over constantly....

look at what the guys on this forum are doing with gear reduction motors...

think of it like a real trail truck... you want your truck to have good clearance, good articulation, and lots of torque... the least of your concerns with a truck of this type is top speed... or how fast it does 0-60...

so IMO if you want to make a quality trail truck... try to make the bottom of your chassis as smooth as possible so it won't snag on anything.. do a search .... if you have questions on this...

try adding something to the front of your truck like a lift guard of some type to help the front of your truck slide up on things... get some nice meaty tires like the super swampers to help clear the rear diff case....

lift your chassis (lssm) and body to help it go over things... do a search...

as for motor, you probalby won't need anything more then a xspeed in a bb can with some stronger magnets..... you will have plenty of torque and power for that application....

remember the reason why you want stacked FET's for an off road type OL is so that you can run bigger tires, without burning them out.... not necessarily to go faster....

now don't get me wrong, if you want the stage 4 go for it... but... as long as you don't mash down the accelrator when the truck is stuck... stage three should be able to handle it... at least IMO... I have a mzm and Ol with 3x2, my friend i drive with has a mzm with a 3x2 stack...and haven't had any problems... all the installation was done here at the shop... quality work... takes about 2-3 weeks...

that should get you started... use the search feature... everything that i mentioned has been discussed EXTENSIVELY....

-james...