PDA

View Full Version : some silly tire questions-

builthatch
2006.07.04, 12:22 PM
ever since my first Z, i've always run Kenon directional tires. I've mounted these like i do on my real car, directional toward the front.

well, i realized while putting yet another set of 8's on my car after some laps on my RCP that this is wrong and pointless.

the ridge on the passenger side will be hitting the raised wheel lip, like it should, but if i mount the driver's side properly in terms of direction, the ridge will be on the opposite side of the wheel raised lip.

so i now have one wheel mounted directional correct, and the other mounted in effect backwards. is this what you all do? kinda silly that they put treads on these since we don't have any water to displace. i've heard that the treads help displace dust, but...i dunno how much i believe that, atleast i dunno how much that would help considering how shallow those little tiny itty bitty tread sipes are...

also, another question- i've noticed that if you use wheel tape, it can make the tires bunch up in a way and appear lopsided when looking at the face of the wheel during a spin. i've found that i have to manilpulate the treads by sorta stretching them along the rim lengthwise, or conversely pinching them to counter a thin spot. This technique works pretty well to make for a perfectly rotund rotating look. Again, do you all do this as well?

last question- the past couple times i've gone to the big RCP track in NY, i lose the outside front tire after long straights, esp. on my now dead Mod car. i use PN tire tape, mount it super close to the outer edge as to prevent the outer wheel lip from pulling up, etc. well....i still was losing tires. these were not new tires either, so the possibility of the oil from production keeping them from sticking is nil. i was thinking it might be from a hot condition since i use 8's up front; heat buildup is softening the adhesive enough to let the tire ip roll up and dismount?

so, i cleaned the inside of the latest tires with some motor spray and fitted them. hopefully this will help...any other suggestions that don't involve CA or anything permanent/ destructive?

arch2b
2006.07.04, 02:10 PM
i think kyosho even has tire glue now.... there was a batch of new accessory items whon on the japan site from one of hte shows out there. they even showed kyohso paint

lfisminiz
2006.07.04, 08:56 PM
I dont think the direction of the grooves matter that much. From what i remember, if you have enough sets of the same grooved tires, i thought they would go in proper direction. When i use tire tape, you do have to work the tire alittle to get it on right. If i still had a tire come of i would put 4 drops of glue on rim to hold tire on. Its not that hard to take old tire off and scrape rim smooth. You could also put regular tape on rim, then drops of glue, then tire. When tire is done with, pull tire get under tape and peel right off. Hope that helps.

SuperFly
2006.07.05, 06:10 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe every set of treaded 8s (either GPM, or rckenonbrand) have come with a right and left tire. Not that they're labelled as such, but they are mirror images of eachother with regards to tread pattern and wheel lip ridge. I too have always mounted them as I would on a 1:1 car, but I agree it probably makes no difference, especially since I do 80% of my driving on a set of tires long after the tread pattern is completely gone.

Slipstream
2006.07.17, 05:41 PM
Superfly is correct. They should be a mirror set. I've run directionals "backwards" and have not notice a difference.

You mentioned your tires were not new when you were losing them on a high speed run. Most likely because they are too thin and weak to hold their shape. Just like when a tire balloons up on a funny car but since they aren't glued, they fall off.

Psst buy new tires. ;)

builthatch
2006.07.17, 06:35 PM
Superfly is correct. They should be a mirror set. I've run directionals "backwards" and have not notice a difference.

You mentioned your tires were not new when you were losing them on a high speed run. Most likely because they are too thin and weak to hold their shape. Just like when a tire balloons up on a funny car but since they aren't glued, they fall off.

Psst buy new tires. ;)

correct they def do (should) come in directional (l+r) pairs. i ordered a billion sets from RCKenon and checked some of them out...

i need to clarify what i meant by they were not new. the tires originally were new and let go, they let loose sooner than the older ones, so i assumed this was because there was some sort of release agent or oil on them which didn't help adhesion to the tape. I was just saying that with my old tires, which were dry and clean inside, it was still happening ; )

i have a feeling that with 8's you have to be very particular about the way you mount these because i think heat buildup is an issue. I have gone thru my setup and i don't think i am depending too much on the tires, but it may be a case where i am indeed depending on chemical traction to much vs. using mechanical traction.

madf1man
2006.07.20, 09:41 AM
Is that 8s on the front?? Try 20.s and work on set up. New and used tires should be cleaned before mounting for best results, super glue will help on top of tape below tire. No scraping needed then since you,ll be able to just peel the tape. Another trick you can do is put a bead of super glue all around the outer bead of tire after the tire is mounted. It ain,t pretty but it works. Nobody can see it anyways at 15 miles an hour.