PDA

View Full Version : AWD Ball diff question

gulfclk
2006.07.13, 02:31 AM
I want to know the following ...

Can an MR-02 (or F1 or MR-01) spur gear be mounted on a AWD ball diff? I know that it's not possible in the AWD chassis because of the space, but I'm planning a new CF chassis (the CT-04).

I'm mainly looking for a picture of the fixation points of the AWD gear on the diff with dimensions so I can compare it with the not AWD spur.

Can anyone help? It would be stupid to buy a AWD balldiff if it would not be possible. Probably, it won't be possible without any mods, but if someone could give me the hole dimensions and positions, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Draconious
2006.07.13, 11:13 AM
I believe the center hole is the same... it could be used, if you also get washers with an outer diameter of the MR02 diff.. and a inner diameter of the awd diff... gona be hard to find that... with out being custom.

but why? :)

Draconious
2006.07.13, 11:28 AM
the diff that was in the awd I aquired...

ruf
2006.07.13, 11:52 AM
So long as the outer diameter of the AWD diff rings contacts the balls in the MR02 spur gear, then you should be fine.

gulfclk
2006.07.13, 12:19 PM
but why? :)Patience is a nice gift. Wait and see ... hopefully! ;)

gulfclk
2006.07.13, 02:31 PM
Hi Drag,

could you please mesure the outer diameter of the AWD diff washer that keeps the balls in the gear?

OK, why ... suppose you use an AWD rear diff. You built it (with some mods) into the Atomic motormount so you get an AWD diff with MM setup. Nothing special, but ... this way, you can make a MM chassis with:

- independant rear suspension
- less chassis roll because no H-plate
- toe-in setting possible on the rear as well
- caster degree possible in the rear as well

This means you would get a chassis with full adjustable suspension but ... MM and only 2WD.

I haven't said this will work, but I want to give the idea a try.

Draconious
2006.07.13, 02:41 PM
its a little shy of 11mm OD.

gulfclk
2006.07.13, 03:50 PM
Damn ... for the GPM diff gear, the ball holes are separated 10,5mm ... that's too thight. I can't figure out the composition of the diff from the picture.

The 2 seperate washers, are they positioned between the collar on the aluminium diff housing and the gear? If so, making bigger washers would help me out.

Could you perhaps take a picture with the parts set next to eachother the way they are mounted on the diff? Sorry for asking ... :(

Draconious
2006.07.13, 04:07 PM
The washers go against the larger silver parts... they are just seperate for easy replacment I think.

the smaller washers/bearings make a mini thrust bushing under the head of the screw...

I also have no idea what brand diff this is... its not the atomic, and as far as I know kyosho has not released a ball diff yet?! ... so I have no idea what this is.

gulfclk
2006.07.13, 04:16 PM
The washers go against the larger silver parts... they are just seperate for easy replacment I think.

the smaller washers/bearings make a mini thrust bushing under the head of the screw...

I also have no idea what brand diff this is... its not the atomic, and as far as I know kyosho has not released a ball diff yet?! ... so I have no idea what this is.
So ... it's worth the try you think? From a chassis point of view, this could work, no?

pchan0
2006.07.13, 04:30 PM
Perhaps you can use the existing AWD gears and just run the motor gears to it like in the picture?

gulfclk
2006.07.13, 04:41 PM
Perhaps you can use the existing AWD gears and just run the motor gears to it like in the picture?
The only problem with this is that the motor is in the way. The batteries are in this motor position too much to the front. I want the cells in the middle of the chassis, so MM is the only way to go I think.

But ... the more opinions we have, the better solutions we'll find!

Draconious
2006.07.13, 04:53 PM
If you are trying to make a whole new chassis... it might work, but I think the size of the gear is too great... it would have to raise the diff up higher to keep the ground clearance.. and the u joints would be at maximum angle... this was a problem in designing my own AWD chassis. ...then again I really am not sure what you are trying to do.. so go for it lol. :) I thought you were gona say mini-z monster differentials or somethign LOL

rlc77
2006.07.13, 05:53 PM
I also have no idea what brand diff this is...
That's a Topcad Diff. :)

Draconious
2006.07.13, 07:10 PM
Topcad still exists? lol... did not think they would be making AWD parts...

the MR01 diff is an Mini-ZRacer.com diff...

rlc77
2006.07.13, 07:16 PM
Topcad still exists? lol... did not think they would be making AWD parts...

the MR01 diff is an Mini-ZRacer.com diff...Yeah, they make them, but so far I haven't found many people that like them.

You have to remove a wheel to adjust and not very smooth :(

I don't own one, just going by hearsay.

Draconious
2006.07.13, 07:40 PM
well i have 3.. and I intend to replace them... so ... i dont really like them either :)

ruf
2006.07.13, 11:04 PM
Yah, the TopCad diff isn't all that hot. Sand the rings and it's ok, but the thrust bearing also needs a little work. It doesn't work at all with the PN 98mm spur gears.

DogbreathRacing
2006.07.14, 09:07 AM
Topcad does have a Ver II Ball Diff for the AWD available now, looks like a copy of the Atomic or 3Racing style diffs, should be much better than the original ones they put out, they were a pain to adjust and don't work that well