PDA

View Full Version : 934 possibilities?

builthatch
2006.07.23, 07:54 PM
I want to set up one of these with one of my mr-02. Sai Tam has fit this body atop an mr-02 and run it a bit, but has not figured out a solution for a top damper, in particular, a disc damper for that short-ass wheel base (86mm)

anyone else experiment with this yet, especially the top damper issue?

let me know what progress anyone is making here with this beauty.

bermbuster
2006.07.23, 08:55 PM
i have the 934 on a mr-015(readyset). I have the 935 too. Im trying to find some hop ups myself for both of them. Any advice or directions(places to find) would be appreciated.

builthatch
2006.07.23, 09:08 PM
i have the 934 on a mr-015(readyset). I have the 935 too. Im trying to find some hop ups myself for both of them. Any advice or directions(places to find) would be appreciated.

welcome berm! you are lucky in that i believe those both have the 3010 fets originally from the AWD...should be more robust than what Kyosho has been offering re: the 3004 fets.

bermbuster
2006.07.23, 09:42 PM
yes they are pretty quick....i owe this all to you...hehei got the IB750s like you suggested. I had them down at Potbellys and man they are fun. I was up at Cruizin (bought them there) and this fall Ron will be starting indoor racing again. He told me i have to persuade you to come up......

color01
2006.07.23, 11:38 PM
The 3racing damper might work with an 86mm setup, since it's got the holes for everything. You could then replace the damper plate with something prettier/lighter like an Atomic plate. Not 100% sure, but my eyes tell me something like that will fit.

benmlee
2006.07.25, 01:07 PM
The 3racing damper might work with an 86mm setup, since it's got the holes for everything. You could then replace the damper plate with something prettier/lighter like an Atomic plate. Not 100% sure, but my eyes tell me something like that will fit.

The 3racing damper do fit, and works pretty good.
On the 934, watch the front wheel when you turn it from left to right, sometimes it rubs the large fender flares and cause jerking steering.

color01
2006.07.25, 03:01 PM
That can be fixed with negative offset wheels and a small amount of dremel work around the fender insides. :)

I assume the same should work with the 935, right? They're both 86mm cars as far as I know.

bermbuster
2006.07.25, 03:54 PM
they are both 86mm cars....the 935 body is 20mm longer than the 934. The 935 has more wheelwell for the front wheels too.

locwan
2006.09.12, 08:49 PM
I'm trying to setup an old mr01 with a mr02 diff and RM motor mount to work with the 934's 86mm wheelbase. I've got a 3racing ML DDS, but the 2 motor mount post that supports the lower mounting piece with in turn supports the damper post isn't long enough... :(

The 3racing dds is listed as a mr15 and mr02 part. But I though that the chassis height for the mr15 and mr01 is identicle.. any ideas?

benmlee
2006.09.20, 05:33 PM
There are so many motor mount and dampers out there I decided to gather all the information in a web page to clarify them.
http://mini-z.home.att.net/rearchassis.htm
Goal is to add more sections to the webpage.

Looks like any disk dampers that will work with 102mm mid motor chassis will also work with the Porsche 86mm rear motor chassis. You should be able to use the PNracing disk damper or use the Atomic disk damper along with 102mm plate.
3Racing is the not the best performance damper out there, so might be good idea to eventually upgrade.

On another subject, seems like the 934 is pretty easy to roll over on the RCP track. Maybe that is just the characteristic of MR015 chassis. Anyone else had the same experiance? Any solution to that?

locwan
2006.09.20, 10:24 PM
Your page is very informative. Nice work Ben.

locwan
2006.09.20, 11:28 PM
Here are a few pics of my new setup with the 934 Jagermeister. It's been mounted on a mr01 chassis with mr02 motor mount, disc damper and rear diff.

lfisminiz
2006.09.21, 08:26 PM
Nice body and set-up. Another body to add to the collection.

herman
2006.09.21, 11:00 PM
that's just coolness... what's the offset?

locwan
2006.09.21, 11:13 PM
Thanks. The silver wheels are .5 offset front, 1 at the back. The black wheels are 1 offset front and back.

I had some issues with the wheels that came with the body, I love how they look with the car, very retro. But they were too small.. if I used any other tires other than the high profile tires that came with the body, the underside of the body and the spur gear would rub the track surface :(

Sabben
2006.09.27, 11:15 AM
Where did you buy that body? Webshop? Link?

It looks very nice! :)

locwan
2006.09.27, 12:01 PM
Thanks. The body was bought overseas. I do see that this has become available now on hlj. com and ebay also.

bobbyz
2006.09.27, 01:26 PM
i just got this body yesterday, and it's great. i mounted it on an mr02 chassis w/ zero offset wheels front and back. 1 also used a thinner 2mm inner bearing in the front wheels to avoid the tire rubbing issue. it handles great so far, but i agree it needs some sort of damper to reduce the hopping effect. i also think i'll try to find some rear wheels with more offset to fill out the rear fenders a little better. i'll try to post a picture of what i've got so far.

peace

Tim Johnson
2006.09.27, 10:10 PM
i just got this body yesterday, and it's great. i mounted it on an mr02 chassis w/ zero offset wheels front and back. 1 also used a thinner 2mm inner bearing in the front wheels to avoid the tire rubbing issue. it handles great so far, but i agree it needs some sort of damper to reduce the hopping effect. i also think i'll try to find some rear wheels with more offset to fill out the rear fenders a little better. i'll try to post a picture of what i've got so far.

peace

I would like to see how you mounted this body on a MR-02 chassis....Post up some pics.........I would really love to see this. :|

locwan
2006.09.27, 11:59 PM
I would like to see how you mounted this body on a MR-02 chassis....Post up some pics.........I would really love to see this. :|

Tim, Sai Tam has already mounted this on MR02 and has some pics in this thread. http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22162

Tim Johnson
2006.09.28, 12:15 AM
Tim, Sai Tam has already mounted this on MR02 and has some pics in this thread. http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22162

Woohoo....Thanks :) I will have to give it a try in the morning :)

bobbyz
2006.09.28, 03:17 PM
Okay I Did A Little Experimenting And Research Last Night. Like Siatam Said In The Other 934 Thread This Body On An Mro2 Will Take Zero Offset Fronts And 3+ Offsets In The Rear. This Is With An Mro2 Rm Pod. I Found Out That Wheel Sets For The Murcialago And Diablo Will Fit This Fine As Well As Gt40 Wheels. Gt40 Rear Wheels Are +2.5offset But Should Still Look Fine. I Cruised Around Thru 2 Sets Of Batts Last Night, And No Real Rolling Issues With Kyosho Mt20 Tires, But I'm Not Running On Rcp.....yet. Still Need To Figure Out A Damper. Sorry No Pics, My Wife Took The Camera On A Trip.

benmlee
2006.09.29, 01:16 PM
No Real Rolling Issues With Kyosho Mt20 Tires, But I'm Not Running On Rcp.....yet. Still Need To Figure Out A Damper. Sorry No Pics, My Wife Took The Camera On A Trip.

On the MR015 chassis, there is quite a bit of rolling over at speeds on RCP tracks. I learned that if you let go of power in the corner, rear will slide out, catch and roll the car over. Got to keep the power on in corners. Also, there is enough body roll that the rear tires rub on the fender flares in corners. I could see black marks on the fenders. Not much to dremel there since the car has no wheel well. Guess is time to convert to MR020 with new wheels. Speaking of new wheels, just saw that PNracing came up with a whole new family of wheels with various off-sets that looks really nice and light weight. Come in white, black and chrome. Much better looking than the bland Atomic dish wheels. Should make the Porsche better looking.

locwan
2006.09.30, 01:16 AM
I've just experimented with some -1 offset wide wheels for the back tonight with some success. The tail will still kick out if you lay on the throttle too quickly during turn-exit, but I acutally quite like this as it makes driving the 934 quite fun, imagining driving a real rear-engined porsche :D

The narrower back with those -1 offset wheels actually made the car track more stable during the long straights, and less twitchy on corner entry, but again, got to watch the tail during the exit.

Other settings I've done since the pics posted are lowering the front by 2mm, and limiting front suspension travel so the wheels doesn't hit the fender on tight corners. The lowering as done more for this car than any other body I've run, as roll overs are less frequent and side to side transitions more composed.

benmlee
2006.10.01, 10:37 PM
I've just experimented with some -1 offset wide wheels for the back tonight with some success. The tail will still kick out if you lay on the throttle too quickly during turn-exit, but I acutally quite like this as it makes driving the 934 quite fun, imagining driving a real rear-engined porsche :D

Just tried the rear end with 0 offset. Great handling. Much sharper cornering.

Lowering the car is definitely the way to go on the 934. I lowered the front by 1mm and rear by .5mm. I also used a mid motor stiff h-plate in the rear and stiff spring in front. That seems to give the car very nice response. It acts like a go-cart.
However, the car still tend to understeer in general. Don't know if that is the way MR015 are. I hardly ever get the car to oversteer except in braking.

builthatch
2006.11.23, 10:45 PM
Just tried the rear end with 0 offset. Great handling. Much sharper cornering.

Lowering the car is definitely the way to go on the 934. I lowered the front by 1mm and rear by .5mm. I also used a mid motor stiff h-plate in the rear and stiff spring in front. That seems to give the car very nice response. It acts like a go-cart.
However, the car still tend to understeer in general. Don't know if that is the way MR015 are. I hardly ever get the car to oversteer except in braking.

any new opinions on what is working with mr-02 chassis with 934/5 bodies as far as disc damper and motor mount?? I see locwan's deal, seems sexy, but it's not on an 02.

I am still anxious to get one of these Porsche bodies and see what i can do; i want to try something different to supplement my twin McLarens.

locwan
2006.11.23, 11:59 PM
since posting pictures of the 01 w/ the 934 body, I've converted my 01 into a 015. The rear end is exactly the same, using the atomic motor mount and the 3racing ml damper. Handling is much improved since the 015 front suspension has taken much of the twitchiness out of the chassis.

avant
2006.11.24, 12:54 AM
@locwan - what setup are you racing ?

Cheers,

Jo

locwan
2006.11.24, 10:04 AM
@locwan - what setup are you racing ?

Cheers,

Jo

Running on a semi technical track made of roofing materials with limited traction (I like it because it mimics the response of real cars on asphalt), the 934 body is pretty ideal for it.

The current setup includes hard orange race-edition springs from atomic for the front, 0.5 camber knuckles, 1 degree toe-in, front lowered 1mm. For the rear end, I have medium springs top and bottom on the disc damper, soft t-plate, medium tightness on the diff. Wheels are 0-offset front, -1 wide back.

To make the car more fun (but not necessary faster) I also run a top shock with medium hardness springs to help induce off-throttle oversteer and sharp off throttle turn-in just like the real car, although without this, the car is actually smoother.

Power comes from an atomic stock motor with single replacement 7317 fets. Controllable power for consistent driving. :cool:

This car is meant for fun, so it was setup accordingly. The dynamics and resposne is very different from other bodies that I run, and it is at the top of my list for most fun to drive. Pls let me know if you have any suggestions.

locwan
2006.11.30, 10:34 PM
I've broken my soft FRP t-plate on the 934.. :( and had no soft t-plates left, so a mm t-plate of medium thickness was used in it's place. My goodness, the car is nearly unmanageable on the track now; its become extremely twitchy and prone to spin-outs and roll overs. I guess my initial instinct of putting in the softest t-plate I could find has some merit to it afterall...

marc
2007.12.11, 08:39 PM
The Porsche's are MM correct? I've got an MR15 chassis that is currently set up for my Altezza body, but was considering racing the Porsche 934. What do I need to do to get it to run properly? Can I race it with the stock tires? Or do they not work well on RCP tracks?
One more thing, will the wheels for the Diablo, work on the 934? Meaning offset and width?

herman
2007.12.12, 12:07 AM
actually the 934 use the shortest wheelbase setting and are actually use the rm motor pod configuration.

haven't done any racing in a quite a while... much less on a rcp... but i have run it around box stock (using different rims) and it's just fine.
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21406

original offsets of classic rims are 0 in the rear and 0 up front if i remember it right...
the rims above are 0 rear and .5 up front, again if i remember it right

locwan
2008.05.23, 04:18 PM
Don't know how many people are still racing with this body nowadays.. but a few buddies of mine are setting up a seperate class to race strictly 934 bodies now.

The fun is instead of going with our original plan of running pure stock everything, we've elected to go w/ mod class for this. So, we can do whatever we think the chassis can handle without barrel-rolling on every turn (we don't use a marshal, so if you crash, it's a DNF), and probably more importantly, what we as the driver can handle in terms of motor, fet mods, external esc's.. tires, whatever, you name it.

This should be fun..::cool:

flat 4
2008.06.17, 04:01 PM
its our off sesson for us but I ran a 934 for little while. I used audi S4DTM rims all the way around. never had eny problem with roll-over but we race on carpet. the tire I used on it were kyosho 10mt in the back and 40mt up front. I think I'll run it agen this next seson. I have almost got my next Z car ready for the next seson as well.

marc
2008.06.23, 07:13 PM
Can the 934 work on the MR02?