PDA

View Full Version : AZGT Championship 2007

Dusty Weasle
2006.07.26, 10:02 PM
(Was to post last night, but that huge thunderstorm knocked the power out)

Wet ink, here are the rules for Mini-AZ’s chase for the 2007 AZGT Championship.

Now don’t be alarmed at the length. I wrote it in legalese and included every contingency I could think of. Heck, look at the end of the ’06 season- It involved every tie breaking rule in here. I’d rather the details be in the rules than made up on-the-day should the unexpected happen.

I wanted to set this series apart from the OLPS so we don’t feel like we’re running the same series week to week. At the same time we all agreed to keep it toned down to stock speeds. With that in mind I’ve written some technical regs allowing custom built motors for adjustability and maintenance while limiting to near-stock power.

There is also a weight rule to be aware of which is different for the 3004 and 3010 FETs to level the playing field. I don’t want to exclude anyone that purchased the new cars. I’m not sure this will work, but we’ll give it a try.

The racing format is also changed for this season with short 5-10min Sprints punctuated by the longer Le Mans endurance races. While still lasting only six race weekends, there will be 15 races instead of 12. That’s 15 chances at points, 18 if you include 1pt for Pole in the three Le Mans races.

So give it a look-see and let me know if you have any questions. The 2007 chase begins (estimated) August 26th.

OLPS:
The FOP Lodge we met at last week is booked until at least late October, and we may not be able to get that date. So, we’ll try and rent the American Legion Hall again. Since Hood would likely miss the 5th and we haven’t secured a location yet, we’ll try and rent the Hall for Saturday, August 12th instead.

Hood
2006.07.27, 01:32 PM
For the Sprint races, during the 5 minutes to get ready for the next race, are we allowed to run in the other direction to get ready, or is the track closed?

During the 3 minute practice sessions, I think it would be best to have the drivers on the track to start the session, and no new drivers to add during that 3 minute session..

I love that you are so technical with the rules, it makes it better for everyone. I do think you need to make it very clear for new racers when they can change batteries and the rules about changing during a race.. I understand the rules, but I think this is an area for confusion..

Sounds great.. I can't wait..

Dusty Weasle
2006.07.27, 03:34 PM
All three segments (A/B/Main) are run in the same direction. It is all considered as one race broken into three segments and three points opportunities. We then reverse the direction and run the next A/B/Main, and then switch one more time.

It was originally slated for four races rather than three, but I had to structure the events to fit into our limited time scales. I want everyone to have time to relax, tune, and race without having to rush and pack up the track before the hall rental is up.

This is also part of the reason I put 5min turnarounds between A-B and B-Main. To keep things moving, and to put a little pressure on :D .

(I assume you meant 30min Practice ;) )

Yeah, the battery rule caused confusion back when we first started the AZGT, even though I stood there and personally explained it :rolleyes: . I’ll just emphisise it more this time. To be clear- You may pit to change batteries at any point during a race. There's more stuff involved this time depending on the event, so I'll highlight them before races.

Hood
2006.07.27, 05:46 PM
I understand, we switch directions on different racedays, not for each Sprint.. That will be easier than trying to switch directions and back..

The practice question was meaning the 30 minute practice window, but I think it would be better if people wanting to practice waited until the next 3 minute session starts, instead of starting in the middle of a 3 minute run. I know we have had some trouble with getting the practice sessions to stop when drivers start late.

Dusty Weasle
2006.07.27, 10:38 PM
I think we got the never ending 3min bug figured out though. By setting the system start to Normal it should timeout at 3min for everyone. I’ll have to test it before the next race to be sure.

Just so everyone is on the same page, this is how the Sprint events are staged:

Each race weekend is an “Event”. There are six Event weekends making up the season. Four of these Events are Sprint races.

One Sprint Event is made up of 3 separate Sprint races. Each Sprint race is broken into an A, B, and Main Sprint (3 points opportunities). The first race (A/B/Main) is run Clockwise. Then we switch the start line and run the second race (A/B/Main) Counterclockwise. Then switch again for the final Clockwise.

I have us switching each race so we don’t get too bored or settled with one ‘layout’. On the other hand I don’t want to keep switching it around. We may just do the first two races CW then the third CCW.

Week 1: CW A(5min)/B(5min)/Main(10min), CCW A/B/Main, CW A/B/Main
Week 2: CW A/B/Main, CCW A/B/Main, CW A/B/Main
Week 3: CW Petit Le Mans (30min), CCW Petit Le Mans (30min)
Week 4: CW A/B/Main, CCW A/B/Main, CW A/B/Main
Week 5: CW A/B/Main, CCW A/B/Main, CW A/B/Main
Week 6: CW Le Mans (1hr)
(Note: Each full Event weekend totals 1hr of race duration)

Oops, now that I look at this I realize I misstated the number of points opportunities. Its 15 full races (A/B/Main being one ‘race’), but its 42 points paying activities! (Though three of those are 1pt for Pole). Season 1 only had 24 points opportunities.

Dusty Weasle
2006.08.17, 11:03 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines! It’s time to begin the 2007 chase for the AZGT Championship! This race kicks off our 2007 Season (it finishes in early ’07). The first week is a Sprint Event, so there will be nine opportunities to score points.

The AZGT Championship
Week 1: Sprint Race
The Swedish Sprint at Anderstorp Raceway

Saturday August 26th at the American Legion Hall
3534 W. Calavar Rd. (NW corner of 35th Ave and Thunderbird, across from Speed Sports)

Open Session
10:00-11:00 Track Setup and Open Testing
Sprint #1
11:00-11:30 Practice Sprint #1
11:30-11:45 Qualifying Sprint #1
11:45-12:15 A/B/Main-Sprint #1
Sprint #2
12:15-1:00 Lunch/Practice Sprint #2
1:00-1:15 Qualifying Sprint #2
1:15-1:45 A/B/Main-Sprint #2
Sprint #3
1:45-2:15 Practice Sprint #3
2:15-2:30 Qualifying Sprint #3
2:30-3:00 A/B/Main-Sprint #3
Open Session
3:00-4:30 Fun Runs
4:30-5:00 Tear Down and Cleanup

Hope to see you all there!

Hood
2006.08.18, 12:14 PM
The Hood's Hobbies Team #1 - Hood is missing their driver for the first race. Hood's Hobbies Team #2 - Krozner is ready to roll.

I was wondering if I could find an alternate driver to field my car for the first sprint race. Would the points still count towards the rest of my season? It could be Hood's Hobbies Team #1 - Hood/???? I just hate to give you guys nine opportunities to score headstart!!

Sorry I can't be there..

Dusty Weasle
2006.08.27, 02:40 AM
(Hehe, no, I don’t think we can do substitute drivers. However, we did reduce the damage, as you’ll see below)

Week 1 of the AZGT Championship is in the books. It was a lot of fun on the fast Anderstorp Raceway layout (based on the real track).

As you can see by the lap and timing data below, the field ran close together for some challenging racing. A couple times I lost a position (and points) by under two seconds! In Sprint #2B, three of the field finished with only a few seconds separation!

Unfortunately Hood and Ghost weren’t able to race today. With three full Sprint rounds that’s nine points opportunities missed. This combined with the time constraints we ran up against lead to the decision to alter the series schedule a bit while we still could.

Sprint event weeks will now only be two rounds (six points opportunities), a Clockwise Sprint and Counterclockwise Sprint.

So today we only ran two rounds, then ran our Formula 1 cars for a bit until we had to pack up the track. Those F1’s are a blast on a big track with a 33ft straight followed by some twisty corners!

The date for the September AZGT is TBD, but will likely be Saturday the 26th. It was some terrific racing today with lots of overtaking and frequent lead changes. Thanks to everyone that came out today. I look forward to the next one.

Results for AZGT Week 1, The Sprint of Sweden:

Sprint #1: Clockwise
Sprint #1 A
Place -- Driver -- Qual --- Laps ---- Time -- Points
1st----- Joe ------- 1 ---- 28 laps - 5:06.69 -- 4
2nd----- Dusty ---- 2 ---- 27 laps - 5:07.44 -- 2
3nd----- Saiyan --- 3 ---- 26 laps - 5:00.83 -- 1
4th----- Dink ------ 4 ---- 26 laps - 5:04.26 -- 0
5th----- DJ -------- 5 ---- 18 laps - 5:07.44 -- 0

Sprint #1 B (Qual is finish order from Sprint A)
Place -- Driver ----- Laps ---- Time -- Points
1st----- Saiyan --- 27 laps - 5:00.83 -- 4
2nd----- Dusty --- 26 laps - 5:07.44 -- 2
3rd----- Dink ----- 25 laps - 5:04.26 -- 1
4th----- Joe ------ 24 laps - 5:06.69 --- 0
5th----- DJ ------- 18 laps - 5:07.44 --- 0

Sprint #1 Main (Qual is reverse of Sprint B finish)
1st----- Joe ------- 54 laps - 10:00.39 - 10
2nd----- Dink ----- 53 laps - 10:02.29 - 6
3rd----- Saiyan --- 52 laps - 10:06.61 - 4
4th----- Dusty ---- 52 laps - 10:08.54 - 3
5th----- DJ -------- 37 laps - 10:06.02 - 2

Sprint #2: Counterclockwise
Sprint #2 A
1st----- Joe ------- 1 ---- 25 laps - 5:00.49 -- 4
2nd----- Dink ----- 3 ---- 24 laps - 5:03.34 -- 2
3rd----- Dusty ---- 4 ---- 23 laps - 5:08.05 -- 1
4th----- Saiyan --- 2 ---- 22 laps - 5:04.17 -- 0
5th----- DJ -------- 5 ---- 19 laps - 5:03.61 -- 0

Sprint #2 B (Qual is finish order from Sprint A)
1st----- Dink ------ 26 laps - 5:04.92 --4
2nd----- Joe ------ 25 laps - 5:00.25 -- 2
3rd----- Dusty ---- 25 laps - 5:03.20 -- 1
4th----- Saiyan --- 25 laps - 5:09.60 -- 0
5th----- DJ -------- 20 laps - 5:00.26 -- 0

Sprint #2 Main (Qual is reverse of Sprint B finish)
1st----- Joe ------- 53 laps - 10:08.63 - 10
2nd----- Dink ----- 51 laps - 10:01.39 - 6
3rd----- Saiyan --- 49 laps - 10:03.78 - 4
4th----- Dusty ---- 49 laps - 10:05.25 - 3
5th----- DJ -------- 39 laps - 10:03.29 - 2

Total Point Standings Week 1 of 6
Place -- Driver ---Points
1st----- Joe ------- 30
2nd----- Dink ----- 19
3rd----- Saiyan --- 13
4th----- Dusty ---- 12
5th----- DJ --------- 4

JOE KROSNER
2006.08.30, 01:11 PM
MINI AZ I would like to make a request for sept. 2006 az gt. We have access to quite a bit of track with dusty and saiyan's available track. Is there a posibility of the group designing a track for this event using various different pieces of actual tracks. instead of just 1 specific layout. I am requesting this so we might have tighter competition with all members.
Dusty has 2wide l's saiyan has about 96 tiles with 45% and wide radius corners i dont see why we cant make the track as much fun as possible (more track = more fun). Dusty are you absolutley set on a specific track lay out if so can we modify it to add more track surface (length) for maxium enjoyment for all.

jJOE KROSNER

Dusty Weasle
2006.09.01, 01:33 AM
Well, I didn’t set out to have a monopoly on track designs. I think it just worked out that way because I have the parts set up as a 3d model in 3ds Max, which makes it easy to save, edit, and render.

Except for the addition of Anderstorp, I had planned to simply run a selection of tracks that we ran last season. We have since obtained new tile kits, so I was going to tweak the layouts as we got to them. Here is the Season 2 schedule as I see it (see attached image):
Sprint #1: Anderstorp
Sprint #2: The Gauntlet
Petit Le Mans: El Largo Carrusel
Sprint #3: Autodromo Tifosi
Sprint #4: Curva Parabolica do Senna
Le Mans: Der Ring des Feuers

How about this for a rule- The driver with the most wins on a single day gets to select/design the layout for the following week. (Ties broken by a 10 lap shootout).

This means Joe gets to select from the existing list or design a new track for the September AZGT.

There are some criteria that must be observed however when designing a new layout:

Be Sure There are Sufficient Tiles: I forget how many of what tiles we have available now since Saiyan purchased all those extras. It’s safe to design for 4 Wide L’s, three Wide Corners, and a Chicane (can be tweaked to be a 45deg, but the rails are an issue).

Less is More: Just because there are many tiles doesn’t mean you must use them all. Use the right tiles. A mass of squiggles stuffed into the middle of the room will be less fun than a rhythm of straights, normal and wide curves, hairpins, and chicanes spaced to let the driver think about the approaching sector.

Be Sure it Fits the Available Space: Know the room dimensions to be used. Be aware of space taken up by tables and hazards like last week’s pole in the middle of the room. Make sure there is room for drivers to move around the track and each other.

Keep it in Visual Range: The maximum length should be ~30ft. We have found that much longer than 30ft and it becomes too hard to see the cars. At 33ft Anderstorp was at the practical limit of my vision, and I have good eyesight. You get two or three cars fighting for a corner at the far end of the track and they just become a blur of colors and a big wreck.

Starting Grid: The starting grid may be placed anywhere on the track and in staggered formation, but the P1 position is to be on the inside line of the approaching corner. Also keep in mind the USB cable that must lead from the Start Line to the laptop computer.

Name it: This is entertainment, and presentation is part of the fun. I’ve tried to give the AZGT an international feel by artificially setting the tracks in different countries. Yeah, it’s made up, but these aren’t real cars either. Give the track a name, and maybe even name the corners.

Whip up a design and post it here. I’ll assemble it in 3dsMax and make one of those fancy renders, enter it in the CORE database and it’ll be forevermore a part of our library.

Hood
2006.09.01, 06:30 PM
I can predict this is gonna be a big layout.. I understand what you said about not bunching things up, I have been laying out tracks for my garage and all of them end up using every inch of floorspace.

Dusty, I should have all the parts that you are waiting for next week. The servo gears are in short supply. Sorry for the delay.

P.S. The 26th isn't a weekend.. I believe you meant the 23rd or 30th..

Dusty Weasle
2006.09.19, 01:24 AM
The 2007 chase for the AZGT Championship is off to a great start! September sees our second of six event weekends, and our second Sprint Event.

After last month’s event we decided that three full Sprints in one day was too costly for a driver to miss and it was difficult to squeeze it all into the available time, so we only ran two full Sprints.

The format for all remaining Sprints will be a full A-B-Main set Clockwise and a second full Sprint Counterclockwise. So, there will only be six scoring opportunities in a weekend rather than nine, but it will be less devastating to drivers unable to attend and leave more time for practice, tuning, and fun.

Rule Update: By popular consensus we’ve decided to allow Neo Mags in custom motors. So if you got an Atomic BB can, you don’t need to pry the magnets out. However, Hood has found that the 70t armatures can’t get good RPMs with the Neo’s when using a 9t pinion, so you might want to go Ferrite anyway.

We’ve also created a new rule that the driver with the most wins on the day gets to select or design the track for the next event. Joe hasn’t named it yet or given it a nationality, but the design image is attached here:

The AZGT Championship
Week 2: Sprint Race
The Kroslandian Sprint of Kroslandia

Saturday August 23th at the American Legion Hall
3534 W. Calavar Rd. (NW corner of 35th Ave and Thunderbird, across from Speed Sports)

Open Session
Sprint #1
11:00-11:30 Practice Sprint #1
11:30-12:00 Qualifying Sprint #1
12:00-12:30 A/B/Main-Sprint #1
Sprint #2
12:30-1:30 Lunch/Practice Sprint #2
1:30-2:00 Qualifying Sprint #2
2:00-2:30 A/B/Main-Sprint #2
Open Session
2:30-4:30 Fun Runs (bring those F1’s, AWD’s, and OL’s!)

Ghost Rider
2006.09.19, 09:32 AM
Dusty,
I posted the information for this weekends race on the Freaks site. The micro/mini fourm was empty and needed someone to be the first to post.
Jeff

Dusty Weasle
2006.09.21, 10:09 PM
Thanks Ghost, I’m still unable to successfully re-register over at AZ-RCFreaks after the site rebuild. It created an account, but I couldn’t log in. A few days ago it deactivated my account saying ‘duplicate email address’. Great, but now I can’t create an account because it still remembers my address and says 'duplicate'! Very frustrating. I emailed support twice but haven’t gotten a response.

Attached is the update to Joe’s design we will be running on Saturday.

Dusty Weasle
2006.09.24, 06:06 AM
Week 2 of the AZGT Championship saw our largest layout yet. Weighing in at 114.9ft distance, it featured a long and wide straight for rocketing down followed by some tricky to down right brutal technical sections (the hardest being dubbed “The Colon”).

We also set a club record by running for the first time with eight drivers! Mini-AZ is growing at a healthy pace. There’s a chance we’ll see ten drivers turn out for the October OLPS.

Today saw some tight racing with as many as three drivers fighting for position across the finish line. Times are getting closer together as the newer drivers get more seat and tuning time. It was a lot of fun.

Below is the scoring breakdown for each race. Remember that in the ‘A’ and ‘B’ segments the top three finishers get limited points, then the ‘Main’ score normal points. The overall standings are listed at the bottom.

Results for AZGT Week 2, The Sprint of Kroslandia:

Lineup:
Dink ----- AMG Mercedes CLK DTM --------- MA-010
DJ ------- Martini Porsche 935 --------------- MR-02
Dusty --- Rainbow Studios McLaren F1 LM - MR-02
Ghost --- Lamborghini Murcielago ----------- MR-02
Hood ---- Ferrari Enzo ----------------------- MR-02
Joe ------ Corvette C5 R --------------------- MR-02
Saiyan -- Takata NSX ------------------------ MR-02
Sean ---- Taisan Porsche GT3R ------------- MR-02

Sprint: Clockwise
Sprint CW A
1st ----- Hood ---- 1 ------ 26 ---- 5:01.53 --- 4
2nd ---- Joe ------- 3 ------ 26 ---- 5:11.37 --- 2
3rd ----- Dink ----- 4 ------ 23 ---- 5:14.09 --- 1
4th ----- Dusty ---- 2 ------ 22 ---- 5:07.66 --- 0
5th ----- Saiyan --- 5 ------ 20 ---- 5:10.58 --- 0
6th ----- DJ -------- 6 ------ 19 ---- 5:13.10 --- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 7 ------ 17 ---- 5:20.51 --- 0

Sprint CW B (Qual is finish order from Sprint A)
1st ----- Hood ---- 1 ------ 26 ---- 5:01.23 --- 4
2nd ---- Dink ----- 3 ------ 24 ---- 5:05.02 --- 2
3rd ----- Joe ------ 2 ------ 24 ---- 5:09.68 --- 1
4th ----- Dusty ---- 4 ------ 21 ---- 5:09.31 --- 0
5th ----- Saiyan --- 5 ------ 21 ---- 5:09.50 --- 0
6th ----- DJ -------- 6 ------ 18 ---- 5:00.34 --- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 7 ------ 18 ---- 5:08.55 --- 0

Sprint CW Main (Qual is reverse of Sprint B finish, but we forgot to reverse)
Place -- Driver -- Qual --- Laps ---- Time ---- Points
1st ----- Hood ----- 1 ------ 51 --- 10:02.23 --- 10
2nd ---- Joe ------- 3 ------ 48 --- 10:17.10 --- 6
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 4 ------ 44 --- 10:13.51 --- 4
4th ----- Saiyan --- 5 ------ 43 --- 10:15.93 --- 3
5th ----- DJ -------- 6 ------ 36 --- 10:11.52 --- 2
6th ----- Ghost ---- 7 ------ 32 --- 10:03.87 --- 1
7th ----- Sean ----- 8 ------ 22 --- 10:20.66 --- 0
8th ----- Dink ------ 2 ------- 3 --- DNF --------- 0

Sprint: Counterclockwise
Sprint CCW A
1st ----- Hood ---- 2 ------ 26 ---- 5:03.45 --- 4
2nd ---- Joe ------- 1 ------ 26 ---- 5:12.57 --- 2
3rd ----- Dink ----- 3 ------ 24 ---- 5:08.69 --- 1
4th ----- Sean ----- 6 ------ 23 ---- 5:11.28 --- 0
5th ----- Dusty ---- 4 ------ 21 ---- 5:01.44 --- 0
6th ----- DJ -------- 5 ------ 19 ---- 5:16.94 --- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 8 ------ 16 ---- 5:04.46 --- 0
8th ----- Saiyan --- 7 ------ 14 ---- 5:01.71 --- 0

Sprint CCW B (Qual is finish order from Sprint A)
1st ----- Hood ---- 1 ------ 26 ---- 5:09.16 --- 4
2nd ---- Joe ------- 2 ------ 25 ---- 5:01.51 --- 2
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 5 ------ 23 ---- 5:03.83 --- 1
4th ----- Dink ----- 3 ------ 22 ---- 5:06.65 --- 0
5th ----- Sean ----- 4 ------ 21 ---- 5:08.12 --- 0
6th ----- DJ -------- 6 ------ 19 ---- 5:00.86 --- 0
7th ----- Saiyan --- 8 ------ 19 ---- 5:05.08 --- 0
8th ----- Ghost ---- 7 ------ 19 ---- 5:10.94 --- 0

Sprint CCW Main (Qual is reverse of Sprint B finish)
Place -- Driver -- Qual --- Laps ---- Time ---- Points
1st ----- Hood ----- 7 ------ 51 --- 10:03.49 --- 10
2nd ---- Joe ------- 6 ------ 50 --- 10:01.20 --- 6
3rd ----- Dink ----- 4 ------ 45 --- 10:02.37 --- 4
4th ----- Dusty ---- 5 ------ 43 --- 10:07.17 --- 3
5th ----- DJ -------- 2 ------ 37 --- 10:05.62 --- 2
6th ----- Ghost ---- 1 ------ 36 --- 10:16.94 --- 1
7th ----- Sean ----- 3 ------ 35 --- 10:05.58 --- 0

Total Point Standings Week 2 of 6
Place -- Driver ---Points
1st ----- Joe ------- 49
2nd ---- Hood ----- 36 (up 6)
3rd ---- Dink ------ 27 (dn 1)
4th ---- Dusty ----- 20
5th ---- Saiyan ---- 16 (dn 2)
6th ---- DJ ---------- 8 (dn 1)
7th ---- Ghost ------ 2
8th ---- Sean ------- 0

Hood
2006.09.27, 11:17 AM
Who is that Hood guy, he took every available point!!

:p :D :p :) :rolleyes: :eek: :o

Just trying to provoke Joe, he led close to half of both main events..

JOE KROSNER
2006.09.29, 12:33 PM
So The Hood Is Calling Me Out. I Will Be More Compitition When I Get To Break In Your New Motor Ha!!!!!

The Compitition Is On My Vette Should Be Able To Dispose Of The Enzo If I Can Keep It Off The Walls Mr-02 Mm 98mm C5r

Dusty Weasle
2006.10.05, 11:37 PM
The September AZGT Sprints saw very close racing in a field that reached eight drivers! It was a lot of fun and I hope to see ten out there next time.

Hood scored the most wins on the day so he gets to design the October layout.

Due to numerous schedule conflicts we are altering our usual every-other-week routine for October. Additionally, both our usual Hall rental location are heavily booked. So this time we will hold the AZGT at the American Legion hall on the 14th since it’s the larger track. Then, back-to-back weeks on the 21st, we’ll run the OLPS, likely in someone’s garage. We have a few locations available, I’ll make a decision on that shortly.

October sees the first true endurance race of Season 2 with two 30min Petit Le Mans. There are only two scoring opportunities in these events unlike the six opportunities of the Sprints, so the pressure is on to make every lap count!

Rule Update: We will be using the Knockout Round Qualifying for the Petit Le Mans. I originally planned this only for the full Le Mans at the end of the season because of time, but then it was correctly pointed out that it won’t take much longer than our normal Qualifying. So, five lap solos for Sprints, Knockout for Le Mans.

The AZGT Championship
Week 3: Petit Le Mans
The TBA Petit Le Mans of TBA

Saturday October 14th at the American Legion Hall

Open Session
Petit Le Mans #1
11:00-11:30 Practice PLM #1
11:30-12:00 Qualifying PLM #1
12:00-12:30 Race PLM #1
Petit Le Mans #2
12:30-1:30 Practice PLM #2
1:30-2:00 Qualifying PLM #2
2:00-2:30 Race PLM #2
Open Session
2:30-4:30 Fun Runs (bring those F1’s, AWD’s, and OL’s!)

Hood
2006.10.11, 12:07 PM
I know I am a little late on getting a track design, and you already did the 3D layout on a track that I drew a couple months ago.. Can we use that track for Saturday's race? If so, give me a track tile count, and I will bring all the track for the event..

Track is getting more organized and ready for use..

Hood

Dusty Weasle
2006.10.12, 02:15 AM
I went ahead and named it. So here it is, the October AZGT Petit Le Mans will be run at the Moosehead Race Park of Canada (see attached pic).

This is the design slightly modified from Hood’s original layout. It will top Joe’s colossus, weighing in at 127.3’ running distance! Yet it fits into a 33’x22’ space. That stretches the practical limits for space, but will work out fine. This track looks to be a lot of fun with a series of distinctly different technical sections, a nice cruise corner, and a fast straight.

It will need:
Straights: 117 (10 as Start Lines)
Bumps: 9
Corners: 19
Apex: 17
Wide Apex: 3 (3-tile kit each)
45deg: 5
Blanks: 7 (for 45deg and Wide Apex)

Will you be able to build this from you existing track, Hood? Let me know if I need to bring any of mine.

Dusty Weasle
2006.10.16, 01:20 AM
Week 3 of the AZGT Championship was run on the ginormouse 127.3’ long Moosehead Race Park layout. It was a very fun track providing great variety and challenge for setup and driving style.

Knockout Round was the Qualifying method this week. A series of 5 lap races in which the last place driver from each race is eliminated, thus filling the starting grid from back to front. The Pole Position winner in the final race scores 1 bonus point toward the series championship.

This was the first enduro of the season and we had a crowded field for both! Eight drivers in the first 30min Petit Le Mans and nine divers in the second weaved, banged, punted, and careened around the narrow lanes in a battle royale for laps as the clock ran down.

Inches gained became feet lost during the frantic mandatory battery pit stops. Then with fresh power, drivers surged ahead to reclaim their place. Well handling cars charged for position in the technical sections, fast geared cars blasted away down the long but tricky straights.

Parts broke, tyres flew, pinions spun off, and cars flipped. There was also expert passing, focused handling, and well played strategies. In the end six drivers walked away with points, and some souvenir paint from cars passed.

This was a fun weekend.

Results for AZGT Week 3, The Petit Le Mans of Moosehead Race Park:

Total Point Standings Week 3 of 6
Place -- Driver --- Points
1st ----- Joe -------- 55
2nd ---- Hood ------ 53
3rd ----- Dink ------- 36
4th ----- Dusty ----- 28
5th ----- Saiyan ---- 17
6th ----- Brad ------ 10 (+4)
7th ----- DJ --------- 10 (-1)
8th ----- Ghost ------ 2 (-1)
9th ----- Big D ------- 1 (+1)
10th ---- Sean ------- 0 (-2)

Petit Le Mans: Clockwise
Place -- Driver -- Qual -- Laps ---- Time --- Points
1st ----- Hood ---- 1 ----- 126 --- 30:02.06 -- 10 +1TQ -- Fast Lap 11.48
2nd ---- Dink ----- 8 ----- 122 --- 30:23.88 --- 6
3rd ----- Joe ------ 2 ----- 120 --- 30:04.98 --- 4 ---------- Fast Lap 11.48
4th ----- Dusty --- 3 ----- 106 --- 30:21.69 --- 3
5th ----- DJ ------- 5 ------ 94 --- 30:17.74 --- 2
6th ----- Big D ---- 6 ------ 81 --- 30:04.33 --- 1
7th ----- Ghost --- 7 ------ 80 --- 30:15.80 --- 0
8th ----- Saiyan -- 4 ------ 57 --- DNF --------- 0

Petit Le Mans: Counterclockwise
Place -- Driver -- Qual -- Laps ---- Time --- Points
1st ----- Brad ----- 3 ----- 123 --- 30:04.05 -- 10 -- Fast Lap 11.09
2nd ---- Hood ---- 4 ----- 120 --- 30:11.71 --- 6
3rd ----- Dusty --- 1 ----- 119 --- 30:06.03 --- 4 +1TQ
4th ----- Dink ----- 8 ----- 113 --- 30:07.02 --- 3
5th ----- Joe ------ 2 ----- 113 --- 30:14.59 --- 2
6th ----- Saiyan -- 5 ------ 85 ---- DNF -------- 1
7th ----- Ghost --- 7 ------ 83 ---- 30:02.84 --- 0
8th ----- DJ ------- 9 ------ 67 ---- DNF -------- 0
9th ----- Big D ---- 6 ------ 33 ---- DNF -------- 0

Dusty Weasle
2006.11.13, 03:18 AM
We’re past the halfway point in the AZGT Championship and Joe maintains the lead by only 2 points over Hood!

Brad joined us recently and is putting his 1:10 skills to work rapidly rising through the points. But with three race weekends left to go, will it be enough to take the lead?

And last season’s champion, Dink, sits in 3rd place, only 19 points out of 1st. Can he fight his way back to make it two in a row?

We’ll find out starting Saturday the 18th as the AZGT Championship kicks off the second half of the season with the next Sprint event. Two races in three segments, a maximum of 36 points can be scored on the day. Charge those batteries, the race for the top spot begins now.

(Hood scored the most wins in October so he gets to design the November layout. TBA).

The AZGT Championship
Week 4: Sprint Race
The TBA Sprint of TBA

Saturday, November 18th
Don Jackson Enterprises / Phoenix Porsche
1931 W. North Ln. (19th Ave and Peoria)

Open Session
CW Sprint
11:00-11:30 Practice CW Sprint
11:30-12:00 Qualifying CW Sprint
12:00-12:30 A/B/Main CW Sprint
CCW Sprint
12:30-1:30 Lunch/Practice CCW Sprint
1:30-2:00 Qualifying CCW Sprint
2:00-2:30 A/B/Main CCW Sprint
Open Session
2:30-4:30 Fun Runs (run what ‘ya brung!)

Dusty Weasle
2006.11.15, 01:27 AM
Here’s the latest revision of the AZGT ’07 Season rules. Mostly it’s just procedural updates that we’ve already implemented, like the Knockout Qualifying for the Petit Le Mans in addition to the Le Mans.

I’ve tightened up the rules in a few places to correspond better to the practical realities of the event staging, refined the rules for post-qualifying repairs, and tweaked the weight limits.

So, no serious changes, just tightening up the wording.

Dusty Weasle
2006.11.16, 01:10 AM
Here is Hood’s design for Saturday (I made slight modifications to fit tile limits). Change those pinions, its gonna be a fast one.

The Sprint of Fastlandia

Dusty Weasle
2006.11.20, 04:36 AM
(Pictures attached at bottom)

Week 4 of the AZGT Championship was run on the 123’ long Fastlandia layout and hosted by Don Jackson Enterprises/Phoenix Porsche. The wide straight and sweeping first turns made this a lightning speed course. The wide variance of gear selections really showed from the fast section to the technical section.

We had a couple new 1:10 scale drivers join and they did well for their first time out with Mini-Z’s, even scoring in the points!

The racing was close throughout with groups frequently fighting for position on the last lap. Note in particular Sprint CW B, 1st-3rd place finished only 3.2sec apart. I lost a point over 3/10 of a second!

There were shockwaves felt across the point standings as well, particularly at the top where Joe surrendered 1st Place to Hood’s dominant run. A consolation for Joe however, he set the track record of 10.82sec for a single lap.

Below is the scoring breakdown for each race. Remember that the top three finishers in the ‘A’ and ‘B’ segments score limited points, the ‘Main’ score normal points.

Results for AZGT Week 4, The Sprint of Fastlandia:

Total Point Standings Week 4 of 6
Place -- Driver --- Points
1st ----- Hood ------ 87 (+1)
2nd ---- Joe -------- 77 (-1)
3rd ----- Dusty ----- 40 (+1)
4th ----- Dink ------- 36 (-1)
5th ----- Saiyan ---- 17
6th ----- DJ --------- 15 (+1)
7th ----- Brad ------ 10 (-1)
8th ----- Jordan ----- 3 (+4)
9th ----- Ghost ------ 2 (-1)
10th ---- Scott ------ 1 (+2)
11th ---- Big D ------ 1 (-2)
12th ---- Sean ------ 0 (-2)

Sprint CW A
Place -- Driver -- Qual -- Laps --- Time --- Points
1st ----- Joe ------- 1 ----- 24 --- 5:07.39 ---- 4
2nd ---- Hood ----- 3 ----- 24 --- 5:08.42 ---- 2 --- Fast Lap 10.88sec
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 2 ----- 22 --- 5:02.18 ---- 1
4th ----- DJ -------- 4 ----- 20 --- 5:07.53 ---- 0
5th ----- Saiyan --- 5 ----- 18 --- 5:00.73 ---- 0
6th ----- Scott ----- 6 ----- 18 --- 5:06.73 ---- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 8 ----- 17 --- 5:10.82 ---- 0
8th ----- Jordan --- 7 ----- 13 --- 5:00.33 ---- 0

1st ----- Hood ----- 2 ----- 23 --- 5:02.41 ---- 4 --- Fast Lap 11.05sec
2nd ---- Joe ------- 1 ----- 23 --- 5:05.31 ---- 2
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 3 ----- 23 --- 5:05.61 ---- 1
4th ----- DJ -------- 4 ----- 21 --- 5:11.39 ---- 0
5th ----- Scott ----- 6 ----- 18 --- 5:10.43 ---- 0
6th ----- Saiyan --- 5 ----- 18 --- 5:06.30 ---- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 7 ----- 17 --- 5:03.77 ---- 0
8th ----- Jordan --- 8 ----- 14 --- 5:17.19 ---- 0

Sprint CW Main (Qual is reverse of Sprint B finish)
1st ----- Hood ----- 8 ----- 47 -- 10:01.42 -- 10
2nd ---- Joe ------- 7 ----- 45 -- 10:10.75 --- 6 --- Fast Lap 10.82sec
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 6 ----- 44 -- 10:06.37 --- 4
4th ----- Saiyan --- 3 ----- 41 -- 10:05.27 --- 3
5th ----- DJ -------- 5 ----- 39 -- 10:10.37 --- 2
6th ----- Jordan --- 1 ----- 38 -- 10:08.99 --- 1
7th ----- Ghost ---- 2 ----- 33 -- 10:05.05 --- 0
8th ----- Scott ----- 4 ----- 32 -- 10:10.23 --- 0

Sprint CCW A
1st ----- Hood ----- 1 ----- 25 --- 5:07.29 ---- 4 --- Fast Lap 11.03sec
2nd----- Joe ------- 3 ----- 23 --- 5:00.44 ---- 2
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 2 ----- 22 --- 5:11.71 ---- 1
4th ----- DJ -------- 5 ----- 20 --- 5:10.14 ---- 0
5th ----- Jordan --- 4 ----- 20 --- 5:16.93 ---- 0
6th ----- Scott ----- 7 ----- 18 --- 5:05.01 ---- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 6 ----- 18 --- 5:14.77 ---- 0

1st ----- Hood ----- 1 ----- 25 --- 5:06.27 ---- 4 --- Fast Lap 11.08sec
2nd ---- Joe ------- 2 ----- 24 --- 5:03.06 ---- 2
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 3 ----- 23 --- 5:02.75 ---- 1
4th ----- DJ -------- 4 ----- 20 --- 5:02.27 ---- 0
5th ----- Jordan --- 5 ----- 19 --- 5:02.64 ---- 0
6th ----- Scott ----- 6 ----- 19 --- 5:05.53 ---- 0
7th ----- Ghost ---- 7 ----- 18 --- 5:01.21 ---- 0

1st ----- Hood ----- 7 ----- 48 -- 10:03.66 -- 10
2nd ---- Joe ------- 6 ----- 47 -- 10:09.97 --- 6 --- Fast Lap 10.95sec
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 5 ----- 44 -- 10:07.05 --- 4
4th ----- DJ -------- 4 ----- 40 -- 10:05.36 --- 3
5th ----- Jordan --- 3 ----- 40 -- 10:10.32 --- 2
6th ----- Scott ----- 2 ----- 39 -- 10:06.03 --- 1
7th ----- Ghost ---- 1 ----- 35 -- 10:14.14 --- 0

Dusty Weasle
2006.11.20, 04:37 AM
And a few more.

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.10, 11:52 PM
With two races to go Hood has climbed to a 10 point lead over Joe, but with the Sprint Event this coming weekend, a maximum of 36 points are up for grabs. Make a mistake, have a mechanical problem, and positions can easily change hands. Better make sure those screws are tight and your chassis tuned.

This is the final Sprint Event of Season II before the 1 Hour Le Mans in January closes out another season and a new AZGT Champion is crowned.

Hood scored the most wins in November and has chosen the Autodromo Tifosi track for December’s race. Unfortunately it won’t quite fit into the space available this time, so we are working on a modification. (See attached diagrams)

The trick is to fit the track so all drivers have good visibility, room to stand, and channels to move through to free stuck cars (as we don’t have corner marshals). The yellow circles represent a 3’dia space for drivers. The green lines are the limit of unblocked visibility. The red arcs represent obstructed views from the car lift shafts.

This of course only applies if the lifts are raised. If it turns out we can leave them down, visibility shouldn’t be a problem. It’s hard to tell until we try to actually fit the real track.

New drivers always welcome!
We usually have a couple spare loaner cars if you don’t have a 1:28 scale car and would like to give it a try.

The AZGT Championship
Week 5: Sprint Race
The Sprint dell’Italia at the Diagonale Di Autodromo Tifosi

Saturday, December 16th
Don Jackson Enterprises / Phoenix Porsche
1931 W. North Ln. (19th Ave and Peoria)

Open Session
CW Sprint
11:00-11:30 Practice CW Sprint
11:30-12:00 Qualifying CW Sprint
12:00-12:30 A/B/Main CW Sprint
CCW Sprint
12:30-1:30 Lunch/Practice CCW Sprint
1:30-2:00 Qualifying CCW Sprint
2:00-2:30 A/B/Main CCW Sprint
Open Session
2:30-4:30 Fun Runs (run what ‘ya brung!)

Hood
2006.12.11, 09:39 AM
I will bring enough track to do any of those three..

I vote for #3 if we are taking a poll..

JOE KROSNER
2006.12.11, 06:52 PM
The option 3 is good for me

Joe Krosner

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.11, 09:43 PM
Ok, but #3 is the most cramped for space. Drivers on the garage door side are pinched that much more and there is less space to get around the track. #2 offers the most space and has that nifty high speed chicane. (Of course I’ve got it planned for up to 10 drivers, which would be a miracle at the moment with so many out of town)

But you call it, Hood. Polls are for Democracies, these designs are determined by dominance of wins ;) . I’ll put together a printer map shortly.

Hood
2006.12.12, 07:57 AM
Hopefully the space will not be an issue. I think the nifty chicane in the middle of the two largest straights is a bad idea with the wide range of drivers we have, some will go through without lifting while the others will be out of the throttle getting in the way. I think this would be a good spot to break alot of cars..

These races are great, if you like roadcourse racing come and check it out.. We should have Brad, Bill, Me, Joe, Dusty, DJ, ?? I know that Darren wants to come, Scott and Mike have three cars with bearings now, Eric, Derek, Chicken. We have a good group, I don't know who is out of town this weekend.. We should have 7-8 drivers..

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.13, 01:09 AM
Here’s it is, the Diagonale Di Autodromo Tifosi.

I made one last minute adjustment. The two standard corner tiles before the wide straight promised to be a car swatter. High speed into a 90deg foam wall would mean cars propelling suddenly into reverse. So it is now replaced with a 45deg section to help deflect cars along the flow of traffic.

Hood
2006.12.13, 08:41 PM
Track looks good.. What do you think about using the six bumps that come with the 3Ls that I will be bringing? I thought we could use them on both sides of the chicane to make it a little harder. We could also use two on the infield where you turn wide around a straight making it more of a wide radius..

See ya on Saturday.

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.14, 11:04 PM
I was rather looking forward to not having to deal with those accursed bump outs this time. I suppose if you want we could put one on either side of the 45deg chicane. It can be run as a straight line as-is, and the original Tifosi layout had a longer bend there requiring steering.

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.18, 03:36 AM
Week 5 of the AZGT Championship saw a new club record of 10 cars on track at the same time. Mini-AZ has come a long way from two guys in a parking lot. 10 cars did provide some… spirited traffic… throughout the races, often seeing five wide trying to fight their way through a two wide corner.

It was great fun though to have a nearly full field racing together. I’m looking forward to a full twelve drivers chasing the checkers.

Though one event remains on the Season II calendar, this week saw the first two podium spots mathematically decided.

The AZGT Season II Champion is Hood!
Despite missing the first race of the season, he was able to rally back and take the lead from Joe near the end. Congratulations on a dominatingly run season.

The AZGT 2nd Place podium position goes to Joe Krosner!
Joe ran consistently at the front of the field, holding Hood off for quite awhile. That consistency has securely fended off challengers for the 2nd spot. Congratulations Joe.

Going into the final race of Season II, the 1 Hour Le Mans to be held in January, the battle is on for the 3rd and final podium position. Dusty holds it with 44 points, but Dink has been gradually closing in and now trails by only 3 points. Brad meanwhile has been leapfrogging forward to land only 4 points behind!

The 1 Hour Le Mans is the only race on the final day, so only one chance to score points. One last chance to grab for glory, and the coveted box of Little Debbie Snack Cakes. Find out who will taste sugary sweet victory next month when we decide the final positions in the AZGT Championship, Season II.

Below is the scoring breakdown for each race. Remember that in Sprint events the top three finishers in the ‘A’ and ‘B’ segments score limited points, the ‘Main’ score normal points. Also below are some pictures from the event.

Results for AZGT Week 5, The Sprint dell’Italia:

Total Point Standings Week 5 of 6
Place -- Driver -- Points
1st ----- Hood ------ 113
2nd ---- Joe --------- 86
3rd ----- Dusty ------ 44
4th ----- Dink -------- 41
5th ----- Brad -------- 40 (+2)
6th ----- Saiyan ----- 17 (-1)
7th ----- DJ ----------- 16 (-1)
8th ----- Sean -------- 5 (+4)
9th ----- Jordan ------ 3 (-1)
10th --- Ghost -------- 2 (-1)
11th --- Scott --------- 1 (-1)
12th --- Big D --------- 1 (-1)
13th --- Billy C -------- 0

Sprint CW A
1st ----- Hood ----- 2 ----- 32 --- 5:10.70 ---- 4 --- Fast Lap 8.29sec
2nd ---- Brad ------ 1 ----- 31 --- 5:01.51 ---- 2
3rd ----- Joe ------- 6 ----- 29 --- 5:04.43 ---- 1
4th ----- Billy C ---- 3 ----- 27 --- 5:03.58 ---- 0
5th ----- Dusty ---- 4 ----- 27 --- 5:16.83 ---- 0
6th ----- Saiyan --- 9 ----- 24 --- 5:03.48 ---- 0
7th ----- Dink ------ 7 ----- 24 --- 5:11.76 ---- 0
8th ----- Ghost --- 10 ----- 22 --- 5:13.08 ---- 0
9th ----- Sean ----- 5 ----- 16 --- 5:08.85 ---- 0
10th ---- DJ -------- 8 ------ 4 ---- DNF -------- 0

1st ----- Brad ------ 2 ----- 33 --- 5:00.67 ---- 4
2nd ---- Hood ----- 1 ----- 32 --- 5:07.13 ---- 2 --- Fast Lap 8.03sec
3rd ----- Dusty ---- 5 ----- 30 --- 5:00.26 ---- 1
4th ----- Joe ------- 3 ----- 29 --- 5:17.01 ---- 0
5th ----- Saiyan --- 6 ----- 28 --- 5:05.53 ---- 0
6th ----- Dink ------ 7 ----- 28 --- 5:08.86 ---- 0
7th ----- Billy C ---- 4 ----- 28 --- 5:16.45 ---- 0
8th ----- DJ ------- 10 ----- 26 --- 5:06.98 ---- 0
9th ----- Sean ----- 5 ----- 25 --- 5:02.28 ---- 0
10th ---- Ghost ---- 8 ----- 23 --- 5:09.43 ---- 0

Sprint CW Main (Qual is reverse of Sprint B finish)
1st ----- Hood ----- 9 ---- 65 --- 10:06.94 --- 10 --- Fast Lap 8.20sec
2nd ---- Brad ----- 10 ---- 62 --- 10:11.76 ---- 6
3rd ----- Joe ------- 7 ---- 60 --- 10:01.55 ---- 4
4th ----- Dink ------ 5 ---- 59 --- 10:07.61 ---- 3
5th ----- Dusty ---- 8 ---- 53 --- 10:12.34 ---- 2
6th ----- DJ -------- 3 ---- 49 --- 10:01.40 ---- 1
7th ----- Sean ----- 2 ---- 45 --- 10:03.25 ---- 0
8th ----- Saiyan --- 6 ---- 44 --- 10:06.59 ---- 0
9th ----- Billy C ---- 4 ---- 43 --- DNF ---------- 0
10th ---- Ghost ---- 1 ---- 43 --- 10:10.90 ---- 0

Sprint CCW A
1st ----- Brad ------ 1 ----- 33 --- 5:02.06 ---- 4
2nd ---- Hood ----- 2 ----- 31 --- 5:02.65 ---- 2
3rd ----- Sean ----- 5 ----- 30 --- 5:07.68 ---- 1 --- Fast Lap 8.10sec
4th ----- Dink ------ 4 ----- 29 --- 5:07.26 ---- 0
5th ----- Dusty ---- 3 ----- 28 --- 5:00.46 ---- 0
6th ----- Joe ------- 6 ----- 28 --- 5:03.54 ---- 0
7th ----- Saiyan --- 7 ----- 25 --- 5:12.70 ---- 0
8th ----- Billy C ---- 9 ----- 24 --- 5:02.49 ---- 0
9th ----- DJ -------- 8 ----- 24 --- 5:08.33 ---- 0
10th ---- Ghost --- 10 ----- 15 --- 5:02.33 ---- 0

1st ----- Brad ------ 1 ----- 34 --- 5:01.35 ---- 4 --- Fast Lap 8.11sec
2nd ---- Hood ----- 2 ----- 33 --- 5:06.54 ---- 2
3rd ----- Joe ------- 6 ----- 32 --- 5:06.10 ---- 1
4th ----- Dink ------ 4 ----- 31 --- 5:04.47 ---- 0
5th ----- Sean ----- 3 ----- 31 --- 5:04.63 ---- 0
6th ----- Dusty ---- 5 ----- 30 --- 5:07.75 ---- 0
7th ----- DJ -------- 9 ----- 29 --- 5:02.91 ---- 0
8th ----- Saiyan --- 7 ----- 25 --- 5:10.76 ---- 0
9th ----- Billy C ---- 8 ----- 23 --- 5:01.80 ---- 0
10th ---- Ghost --- 10 ----- 22 --- 5:09.39 ---- 0

1st ----- Brad ---- 10 ---- 65 --- 10:05.59 --- 10 --- Fast Lap 8.08sec
2nd ---- Hood ----- 9 ---- 64 --- 10:00.30 ---- 6
3rd ----- Sean ----- 6 ---- 63 --- 10:08.29 ---- 4
4th ----- Joe ------- 8 ---- 62 --- 10:01.55 ---- 3
5th ----- Dink ------ 7 ---- 58 --- 10:03.18 ---- 2
6th ----- Dusty ---- 5 ---- 57 --- 10:03.75 ---- 1
7th ----- DJ -------- 4 ---- 49 --- 10:04.68 ---- 0
8th ----- Saiyan --- 3 ---- 49 --- 10:06.12 ---- 0
9th ----- Ghost ---- 1 ---- 45 --- 10:05.54 ---- 0
10th ---- Billy C ---- 9 ---- 16 --- DNF --------- 0

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.21, 03:55 AM
Here are the rules for the AZGT Championship, Season III.

Give them a read and see if I missed anything. I wanted to get a jump on this to give everyone ample time to study the rules and adjust their cars and/or order parts.

I applied things we’ve learned over the past couple seasons and tightened up the wording here and there. There are some big changes in this edition, so read carefully. The biggest things are:

Motor Rule
Approved list or custom with 43t or greater armature.
Blowing FETs = Disqualification.
(So really it’s just a ‘no FET upgrade’ rule)

Competition Ballast
Weights added or subtracted depending on finish position (similar to FIA rules)

Caution
A Local Caution zone is created around wrecks (I hope this works better than my rolling start fiasco from Season I)

Scrutineering and Impound
No work on a car after Qualifying- Period!

I was a little torn on this since we were allowing oiling and the last minute tightening of screws, etc, but the point of the original rule was for drivers to be 100% ready at Qualifying time. I did leave some breathing room in there for catastrophic problems like when Joe had to completely replace his chassis.

I don’t want anyone to miss a race because of a problem, but I want drivers to have their game face on when practice is over. If this proves too draconian we’ll switch it back.

Le Mans Qualifying
Instead of a long series of single eliminations, I’m going with something closer to F1. The rounds are split into three periods in which the slow group is knocked out, but I added more laps.

The result is a degree of consistency. Regardless of field size, the staging will take about the same amount of time and a predictable number of Qualifying laps. (Remember you can’t change batteries after Qualifying. So under the old system if there were 12 drivers, P1 and P2 would have run 60 laps but only 25 laps with a field of 5 drivers).

Hood
2006.12.21, 08:04 AM
Are we gonna run the old rules for the last race? (Making the 200g weight rule if we upgrade to 3010s?

Or, Could we use this race to get ready for Season III.. Allow the new no fet rule and let us get our new motors broken in, and get ready for the extra power?

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.21, 04:54 PM
Continue the rules for Season II. This is simply to publish the updated rules well in advance of Season III.

Since we ignored the 200g limit for the sole 3010 car all season, I suppose we can just say 180g for all. 3rd place is the only big spot still in contention anyway.

If we have a large turnout and everyone agrees on using the Three Round Knockout rule for Season III, we could go with that as well. Otherwise we’ll stick with the Single Elimination for this last race.

Hood
2006.12.24, 08:02 AM
Wow, 15g added to your weight for winning an event.. 15 grams is like adding 6 pennies to your car. And then, over half the field is going to be allowed to reduce 5 grams? Making it a 20g penalty... (Most cars will not be able to lose the 5grams unless they have already had one of your penalites..)

I guess I will be running aluminum wheels, aluminum battery heatsinks, and I now will need an aluminum clip for a Enzo.. Any other good ideas of where I can add weight without strapping stuff all over my car? I think it is going to look like the Griswold Family Vacation by the end of the series.. Ever see an Enzo with a suitcase strapped to the roof?

Atleast the extra motor should help to pull all of the lead around the track.

Hood

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.24, 05:37 PM
Hehe, I think you misunderstand :D . Ballast is added to drivers finishing in 1st-3rd (these will be small handout weights that can be taped onto the chassis). The maximum accumulated ballast a driver can receive is 50g, or about the same as 4 AAA batteries. Quite a lot but you must finish 1st or 2nd three times in a row to hit maximum right away.

Anyone with a Competition Ballast finishing outside the top three has the penalty reduced 5g at a time until the ballast amount reaches 0g (all ballast handouts removed).

The minimum weight, ballast and batteries included, is always 180g. So for the front runners it's doubly valuable to reduce your vehicle weight so when you get a ballast penalty it puts you just above the 180g min. The advantage is you get to put that weight wherever it improves your handling the best.

This rule is based on various series like the FIA GT Championship, BTCC, and Le Mans. In principal I’ve always been opposed to weight penalties as they feel like a deterrent from winning, but it’s worked for the FIA for some time now so I figure it must work for short series races like ours.

(I got a hilarious mental image of a field full of ‘Family Trucksters’ skidding around the track. That would be great :p ).

For those just tuning in, here is the rule being discussed:

------------------------
Competition Ballast
c.26. At the end of each race a Competition Ballast is assessed for each car and applied to the next race. This adjustment carries from week to week, but is zero for all drivers at the start of the season.

c.27. The adjustment does not alter the 180g weight minimum (see f.15).

c.28. Drivers finishing in 1st-3rd are assessed the following ballast (Sprints only use ‘Main’):
1st: +15g
2nd: +10g
3rd: +5g
Amounts are cumulative to a maximum of 50g.

c.29. Drivers finishing 4th or lower have 5g removed from their total ballast. A driver’s ballast is not reduced by missing a race.
------------------------

BrianMidnight
2006.12.24, 09:05 PM
Dusty & Becky... Merry Christmas
From all at Stafford Mini Z Racers in the UK.

Hood
2006.12.25, 09:36 AM
New C2 here...

I guess it is time to leave the 2PL behind..

Hood

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.26, 12:50 AM
Thanks Brian. Merry Christmas to you and all the Stafford Racers! Merry Christmas Mini-AZ! :D

I had my wife read the Competition Ballast rule and she had the same misunderstanding Hood arrived at, so I’ve reworded it to be clearer. In the process I’ve rethought a few rules and further tightened up some other wording.

There were also some things I changed based on what we’ve learned about the practicalities of race day. Below are the sections I remember changing with my comments. New rule book (Ver 3.1) attached.

-------------------------------------------------
Track Setup and Open Testing
c.2. After track assembly is complete, the course is open for testing. Cars may enter the track freely before official practice begins. No lap counter telemetry is to be provided.

(The time limit I had imposed earlier was irrelevant and not used)
Cautions
c.24. If a car crashes, the area approximately 2ft before it is under Caution. Cars may not pass until safely beyond the disruption. If a pass is made the offending car must slow and move back into position. Failure to do so in a timely manner results in a 1 lap penalty.

(Specified a 1 lap penalty. Also changed the caution zone to be only the 2ft preceding the wreck. Cars may pass immediately after getting by the wreck)
Competition Ballast
c.26. At the end of each race a Competition Ballast is assessed for each car based on finish position. The ballast units are 5g handout weights that may be attached anywhere under the body.

c.27 Ballast units are carried on the car regardless of vehicle weight. The total vehicle weight may be anything 180g or greater (f.16).

c.28. Drivers finishing in 1st-3rd are assessed the following ballast (Sprints use ‘Main’ result):
1st: +15g
2nd: +10g
3rd: +5g
The maximum total ballast a driver may be assigned is 50g.

c.29. Drivers finishing 4th or lower have one 5g unit removed from their total ballast. A driver’s ballast is not reduced by missing a race or DNF.

c.30. Ballast changes are applied to the next race (full ‘A/B/Main’ for Sprints) and carry over from week to week.

(Same rule, reworded for clarity)
Body
f.9. 1:28-1:24 scale Sports, Touring, Rally, or Prototype bodies only. Model kit or slot car adapted bodies are permitted. No Lexan.

(Made Lexan illegal.
Initially I figured “180g minimum weight, so what does the body matter”. But then I decided that Lexan is very different from stock and such a driver would have an enormous advantage when it comes to reducing weight)
E. SCORING
e.3. If multiple Heats are run, determine points as though all cars had run together based on lap data.

(Previously ‘B’ mains could not finish above ‘A’ main. Now data will be sorted together OLPS style so drivers qualifying below the ‘A’ main can still challenge for the win)

Hood
2006.12.26, 02:01 PM
A little extreme with the amount of weight, but I can live with it..

I would like to get the weights as they are assessed, so they can be added before the raceday. Will they have a 2mm hole for easy mounting? Can you give us a better idea what they will be, so we can plan ahead..

I would rather you just give me a minimum weight of 195 after winning the first event and make it my responsiblity to come to the race ready.

Hood
2006.12.28, 01:44 PM
I have been talking to both Joe and Brad about this, and both of them hate this rule. We have been doing good lately getting 8-10 drivers at our last few events. I don't want to see our attendance slip..

Can we vote on this rule, or ??

Hood

JOE KROSNER
2006.12.29, 11:00 AM
OH KEVIN

How are we going to keep RACERS coming to mini-az events (or find interested racers) if the rules make it so racers DO NOT want to RACE !!!!! The rules for azgt have been acceptable up to this point. Just because some FULL SIZE series someplace in the world adds weight to the winners, doesn't make it acceptable for this application. (As was the 230gram weight limit for 3010 fetted cars) I am having tons of fun racing min-z's (more than any other racing I have done in the past 25 years or so) so please do not take the fun away. All of the drivers and cars currently racing are doing this for the fun factor. Adding 50 grams (max weight) car weighing 185 grams is not gonna happen with this driver whither I win or not. Adding weight is possible within reason, adding max weight of 50 grams is EXTREME like adding 4 more batteries. Some of us attending mini-az events may start to think you DO NOT WANT mini-az to grow. This kind of rule could bring all YOU have worked for to its knees.

Full size weight penalties are not as extreme as you have made it for mini-z.

Dusty Weasle
2006.12.29, 06:55 PM
Ok, I see there’s some pushback on the weight rule.

I’ve been off-line for a couple days. I got a catastrophic hard drive crash for Christmas. 100% data loss and all that joy. I’ve just resurfaced using the laptop. I don’t even know how to check my email from here, so if anyone sent me anything I haven’t seen it. I should be running again by this weekend, but it’ll take weeks to get everything back to normal.

With my PC down I had time to experiment with weights in the car. I found that a nickel is about 5g so I started with those and discovered two significant factors:
1. 10 nickels (50g) will just barely (and poorly) fit under a McLaren body.
2. The car still accelerates well, and while it takes a moment longer to start turning, it sticks to the ground like glue.

Now the practicality of #1 means that 50g at nickel size is right out due to space. But this experiment was done with a stock motor, so with the hotter motors we’ll be running there will still be plenty of power.

Still, 50g is too much. I was just looking for easy round numbers to work with. You’re right that the scales don’t translate. I forgot to look at the proportions rather than simply scale. Based on the GT series proportions, a 20g max is more accurate (or about 11% of the 180g min).

Today I picked up some lead weight strips used for R/C planes to give those a try. If this works you’d need to place a maximum of 4 (slightly smaller than a nickel) squares on the chassis. They’re even self adhesive.

Before I settle on this I want to give it a proper test drive after our next OLPS day. Everyone can get a feel for it and see what you think. If it still proves impractical or unpopular, we can dump it.

I have a good feeling about this rule. It should tighten up the field and make for a more exciting and even season. Besides, you may find your car handles better with the extra weight placed exactly where you want it. Try it, tape a few nickels to the chassis and go for a spin.

Dusty Weasle
2007.01.10, 04:22 AM
Ok, fine, damn it. The Competition Ballast rule is removed.

I have also modified the new Caution rule. It would be near impossible to enforce without a dedicated Race Director watching the race and reviewing replays. Not gonna happen. So I reworded it as a Gentleman's Agreement, with the option to assign a penalty should it become necessary.

My intent here is to make people focus on slowing down when approaching wrecks so as to not amplify them. The net result being fewer wrecks overall and better lap times for everyone.

Here's the Caution rule. If everyone thinks they can live with this, then I'll publish the finalized rules for Season III.

------------------------

Cautions
c.24. If a car crashes, the area approximately 2ft before it is under Caution. Drivers should refrain from passing until safely beyond the disruption. This is a 'gentleman's agreement', but the Race Director may assess a 1 lap penalty per incident if the courtesy is abused.

It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to pass safely under all circumstances.

c.25. Crashed cars must give right-of-way to approaching cars. A driver should hold his position until his car can be safely maneuvered back on course. A driver may make an emergency move out of the line of traffic if it will reduce the risk of collision.

Hood
2007.01.15, 10:32 AM
I can't wait to see the nifty rendering that Dusty does of this monster.. I believe it is about the biggest RCP track ever! We are doing our first event at SpeedWorld and I am excited to see how it all comes together. I believe we will have more than 12 drivers for the first time ever.

I am really serious about trying to organize a large enduro event on the big track. This should answer alot of questions about the large track, driver's stand, 6 degrees of banking (should give us some up and downhill sections and offcamber corners, etc..), practicality of the large track.. I believe that the large layout will help to bring other racers from CA, NV, UT, CO, and TX. We will make sure to take alot of pics and video to post..

1 hour AZGT finale race of the 2006 season @ SpeedWorld on January 27th.

Dusty Weasle
2007.01.18, 01:46 AM
Five weekends have come and gone. Five months raced by.
Twenty six battles fought. Twenty six victories run and caught.

Now there is one.

One race
One hour
One Champion

The AZGT Championship Season II Finale
Week 6: 1 Hour Le Mans
The Le Mans of Arizona at Speedworld Scale Raceway

Saturday, January 27th
Speedworld Scale Raceway
Happy Valley Rd and Grand Ave (US 60)

Directions: http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/directions.htm
Home: http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/

Hood and Joe locked up the top two podium positions in December, but 3rd Place remains in contention with only four points separating three drivers.

There is only one race run in a single direction. We will split the drivers into two Heats this time to ensure there are Corner Marshals, so nobody has to sprint down the very tall driver's stand to flip a car.

Assignment to Heats will be determined by best lap times in Practice, so be ready early. Qualifying will use the 'Three Knockout Rounds' method slated for Season III rather than individual knockouts used during the Petit Le Mans.

Except for Qualifying, remember Season II rules are still in effect so don't confuse them with the recently released Season III update.

Below is the track layout we will be running designed by Brad and Hood. It will be set up on the front stretch at Speedworld. This is a very nice facility with a tall driver's stand for excellent visibility. I know its a long way out to Speedworld from our usual locations, but its just for this special occasion. Its an excellent facility surrounded by many other R/C and full scale sports as well. I hope to see you all there.

Open Session
Practice
11:00-1:00 Practice- Best lap time determines Heat placement
Heat B
1:00-1:30 Qualifying
1:30-2:30 Le Mans
Heat A
2:30-3:00 Qualifying
3:00-4:00 Le Mans
Closing Ceremonies
4:00-4:10 Trophy Presentations
4:10-5:00 Tear Down and Cleanup

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/YBSlow.jpg

Ninja
2007.01.18, 02:36 AM
man that is one sweet looking track setup you guys have for a finale ;) should make for some very good racing

Hood
2007.01.18, 05:14 PM
It would be nice to have a full field in the A Main.. 12 cars..

Thanks..

Dusty Weasle
2007.01.18, 10:02 PM
If I follow you correctly, that would mean some people running a 2 Hour Le Mans. No, lets stick to the format with a single run for points. Of course if 24 drivers show up then there would definitely be 12 each.

Because of the nature of the Knockout Rounds I found it necessary to isolate the Qualifying runs to their individual Heats, using Practice times to divide the groups. In future Sprint races however, the 5 lap Qualifying solo runs allow the use of those results to divide Heats instead of Practice.

Everyone will still be competing directly for position regardless of Heats though by sorting the data together OLPS style. So even if somebody has a bad run and winds up in the B-Main, they can still challenge for the win.

JOE KROSNER
2007.01.21, 11:55 PM
For example Dusty

Run 2 qualifiying sessions qualify the 8 fastest for the A main.

Then run a 30 minute B main with the TOP 4 bumping to the A main making a full field of 12 for the hour lemans.

We still then have enough drivers to turn marshall and pit cars for both races.

The only issue I see is that B main driver will have depleted batteries meaning they would have to start the hour with fresh batteries.

I think this is an option in my mind to have a full grid for the hour.

Please consider some out of the box thinking for running MINI-AZ events and secondly I am having more fun racing mini-z's than the last 25 years of racing 10th scale of and on road racing.

JOE KROSNER

Dusty Weasle
2007.01.24, 10:58 PM
Remember I changed the schedule so there was only one race on the 1hr day because we were all so exhausted last year after running two large enduros. This series of Qualifiers would mean more driving for everyone, and more still for those that have to run the B-Main.

This also assumes more than 12 people will show up. Remember our current record is 11. If we get 14, a miracle :rolleyes: , that means two people get left out of the big show but get the honor of being Corner Marshals for an hour, servicing a 48'x33' area by themselves .

Nope. Let's stick to the plan... Stay the course you might say.

The way its scheduled means everyone will run an equal amount of time regardless of how they qualify. But I am switching the old 'Heat stacking' rule with Season III's OLPS style sorting so that it doesn't matter for points what Heat you run in.

However, I you want to design a stand-alone race day on the bump system, we could insert it as a break in the AZGT schedule as an All Star enduro day or event such as that.

The current forecast is for 68deg and sunny. See 'ya all there. :)

Dusty Weasle
2007.01.29, 02:45 AM
The last race of Season II is in the books. Our biggest, best season yet (yes, out of two, but it was a great one).

We had just one race, the 1 Hour Le Mans round under the sunny blue skies at the Speedworld 1:4 scale oval. The track was orders of magnitude larger than anything we've run before with average lap times of around 30 seconds.

Unfortunately the demands of the real world and likely the rather long distance to the track kept our turnout low, but the major contenders were there so it was a fair points fight in the end.

The top two podium positions were locked up last month, but there was a close fight on for 3rd Place. In the end Brad succeeded in grabbing the final spot by 5 points and thus earning the coveted box of Ding Dongs.

Congratulations all, and thank you everyone for all your participation and support to make this a successful and fun season.

Below is the scoring breakdown for the race and some pictures from the event.

Results for AZGT Week 6, The Le Mans of Speedworld Raceway:

Total Point Standings Week 6 of 6
Place -- Driver -- Points
1st ----- Hood --- 120 ------- 14 wins
2nd ---- Joe ------ 89 --------- 5 wins
3rd ----- Brad ---- 50 (+2) --- 6 wins
4th ----- Dusty --- 45 (-1)
5th ----- Dink ----- 43 (-1) --- 1 win
6th ----- Saiyan -- 17 -------- 1 win
7th ----- DJ ------- 16
8th ----- Sean ----- 5
9th ----- Billy C ---- 4
10th --- Jordan ---- 3 (-1)
11th --- Ghost ----- 2 (-1)
12th --- Scott ------ 1 (-1)
13th --- Big D ------ 1 (-1)

1 Hour Le Mans
Place -- Driver -- Qual -- Laps ----- Time ----- Points
1st ----- Brad ----- 6 ----- 119 --- 59:11.57 ---- 10 --- Fast Lap 24.73sec
2nd ---- Hood ---- 1 ----- 119 --- 59:13.16 ----- 6 +1TQ
3rd ----- Billy C --- 4 ----- 112 --- 60:16.09 ----- 4
4th ----- Joe ------ 2 ----- 111 --- 59:25.42 ----- 3
5th ----- Dink ----- 5 ----- 104 --- 60:18.69 ----- 2
6th ----- Dusty --- 3 ------- 91 --- 60:06.99 ----- 1
8th ----- DJ ------- 7 ------ 83 ---- 60:30.87 ----- 0

AZGT January Driver Lineup
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/AZGT_January_Lineup.jpg

YBslow Circuit Panorama
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/YBslow_Panorama.jpg

Bill's Blaupunkt
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/Blaupunkt_Prototype.jpg

Sunset Strip
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/SunsetStrip.jpg

Pitting Under the Sun
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/OpenAirPits.jpg

Next Door to The Nitro Pit
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/Location_Location_Location.jpg

Graph of Le Mans Results
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20II/LapCounter_Graph.jpg

Hood
2007.02.13, 03:49 PM
I now have a video on the track website. www.SpeedWorldScaleSpeedway.com

I changed the links to make them work better..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKVpGPYmW3Y