PDA

View Full Version : Any word on a production 4WD OL yet?

saiyan
2006.08.14, 12:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone has word yet on a production 4WD OL chassis yet?

Newbster
2006.08.14, 04:54 PM
Nothing that Ive heard, and I doubt there will really be any news of one ever being produced, the OL just doesnt have the same calling as it did a few years back, so not enough demand for the production of an entirely new platform.

alpha_003
2006.08.17, 04:34 PM
that would be awesome, but i agree. overlands dont have the demand the used to, because most people think 4wd is too important. kyosho comitted a fatal error in not making it 4wd, since it is an off-roader. they could of come up with something like the SSMT, eve better.
i think every user on this site should sent petitions to kyosho, i mean, we have a lot of members, and if we would all be in demand of them, they have to at least take us into consideration.
i dream of a 4wd overland.

-Lino

Roketmini
2006.08.17, 04:40 PM
Look. (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22614) I already asked.

byebye
2006.08.18, 02:25 AM
Look. (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22614) I already asked.

Well that sucks if they don't.

Just recently I started a MA-01 w/OL tires for offroad project. I used locked diffs front and rear and I can actually pull the chassis up over the RCP rails. I tried to mod an OL body for it but it doesn't have enough clearance. I eventually ended up with a 206 body with narrow wheels and doubled up narrow tires to add clearance. I think the biggest issue running outside is clearance. This project is for the France Rally(the one on the huge train set)

-Byebye

Boss302
2006.08.18, 05:48 AM
If they made a 4wd OL (with a Ridgeline body)there would be no need for xmod trucks anymore. No more OL competion.

So I hope they make it.

traxxasman215
2006.08.18, 12:19 PM
If they made a 4wd OL (with a Ridgeline body)there would be no need for xmod trucks anymore. No more OL competion.

So I hope they make it.
You and your ridgeline obsession.

Maybe someday they will make a 4WD OL. If they did, it would be on my to buy list right below the tamiya F350.

klima
2006.08.18, 03:06 PM
the tamiya F350

Yes it's very great car but in europe too much expansive
449 euro is too much :confused: :mad: :eek:

alpha_003
2006.08.20, 09:21 PM
i asked kyosho too, but by e-mail, and he said he couldnt answer the question because he didn't know. but he did mention something about new F1 and monsters, and then he said maybe later, but highly unprobable. anyways, i think most user of this forum dream of a 4WD overland, altough, they design isnt that hard, just look at a SSMT, very simple design, but awesome......anyways, if overlands were 4WD, i would end up buying like 4-5 of them.
but dont worry, my xmod hummer will one day soon be an overland killer, with front pivot suspension, and plenty of torque....and lithium batteries.
oh and most importantly, it will have a working winch and realistic off-road suspension travel. i will post pics of it on tinyrc.com when im done, maybe if i can, a TUT.

-lino

dean
2006.08.20, 10:00 PM
Hey ByeBye,

do you have photos of your 4wd with overland tires ????? :rolleyes:

... without a body prefer.

byebye
2006.08.21, 02:06 AM
Hey ByeBye,

do you have photos of your 4wd with overland tires ????? :rolleyes:

... without a body prefer.

I'll take some right now and post it up.

-Byebye

byebye
2006.08.21, 02:24 AM
I'll take some right now and post it up.

-Byebye

Here is a link to my MA-01 gallery

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=717&ppuser=3019

In order to crawl or climb you have to remove the front clip.

I'm surprised no one has made larger knuckles with longer swing shafts and revised top plates for longer suspension. Turning one of these into an OL is not impossible with the right machinery, you are about 80% with just the chassis.

-Byebye

dean
2006.08.21, 08:08 AM
Thanks !!! :) :) :)

alpha_003
2006.08.22, 02:35 PM
about being 80% done with just the chassis...sure you are, but the fabrication costs and time expenses will be pretty annoying for people who just want to have fun with their R/C's. the only thing would be to swap out the axles, but how to make an overland front axle to have a diff and u-joints???
thats what would be hard, and making the shock mounts, aside from adapting everything else.
i think it is much easier to mod a SSMT, or mini crusher. also an xmod truck, (i am making a front pivot system for my hummer, aside from a working winch, and make turn it into a pick-up body) would be much easier and cheaper to modify than an overland.
Plus.....when it starts to roll down a hill of jagged rocks, it would hurt your pockets as much..... :D :D

-Lino

byebye
2006.08.22, 02:50 PM
about being 80% done with just the chassis...sure you are, but the fabrication costs and time expenses will be pretty annoying for people who just want to have fun with their R/C's. the only thing would be to swap out the axles, but how to make an overland front axle to have a diff and u-joints???
thats what would be hard, and making the shock mounts, aside from adapting everything else.
i think it is much easier to mod a SSMT, or mini crusher. also an xmod truck, (i am making a front pivot system for my hummer, aside from a working winch, and make turn it into a pick-up body) would be much easier and cheaper to modify than an overland.
Plus.....when it starts to roll down a hill of jagged rocks, it would hurt your pockets as much..... :D :D

-Lino

Yeah I agree with you. I'm just surprised Kyosho hasn't done it yet. Very few aftermarket chassis last long or are as popular as the stock chassis. I know for a fact that Kyosho has the ability to make a conversion kit and offer it as a 4wd OL or monster.

When you mention hurting your pockets, the awd was a money pit to start. Cracking chassis, stripped swing shafts, stripped diff joints, broken diff internals. Not to mention that fact that it doesn't like to stay flat without either a wild tire mix(20-30 front/8-10rears) or camber knuckles. Lets spend $50 on Kyosho alloy top plates front and rear that have no performance function. It would have made more sense as a OL or monster chassis.

It can be done and the ma-01 chassis is a great start for someone with both the knowledge and resources to do it.

-Byebye

alpha_003
2006.08.23, 09:31 PM
i agree with you bye-bye, the awd is the biggest money pit, and it would be SOOO time consuming. plus only people who have very good skills would be able ot do it only if they dedicate their time to it.
When kyosho came out with the overlands, i was ALL over them untill i got to drive one, and i saw 2WD........SOOOOO DISAPPOINTING!!! i dont get why kosho just didnt make the overlands 4WD in the first place.
i think that if we get enough people to actually want a 4WD overland, kyosho would at least consider it.
anyways, it is much easier to do a couple of simple mods to an xmod truck and get the OVERLAND-KILLER PERFORMANCE.....all an xmod needs is asolid front pivot axle with a better tie rod and better torque gears..............
i will be finishing up my front pivot xmod system this weekend, when im done, i will post up some pcis on tinyrc.com this little car im making is going to be a realistic beast!!!!
In final, i am very sad overlands are 2WD and wish they were 4WD.....people on this forum should turn their heads down just yet......i have this crazy idea that if we get enough people to be interested in 4WD overlands and monsters......and enough people to pre-order them....then kyosho might just think about it.

-Lino

byebye
2006.08.24, 04:07 AM
I think I've seen some of your stuff that you are working on. The 4wd evo truck is a great idea that has much more ability to make better than the ma-01. I'm sure Kyosho has somthing up there sleeves.

-Byebye

alpha_003
2006.08.24, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=byebye]I think I've seen some of your stuff that you are working on. The 4wd evo truck is a great idea that has much more ability to make better than the ma-01. I'm sure Kyosho has somthing up there sleeves.

i sure hope kyosho has something up their sleeves, anyways, if your talking about the post on the AM forums, that isnt me.....i am yet to post pics....and plan on doing it on tinyrc.com

Draconious
2006.09.01, 07:06 PM
Weird lol... this was on Mini-Z Time
and yea it was prolly already posted but ive not seen it on here yet ;)

cdog4w
2006.09.01, 08:54 PM
Weird lol... this was on Mini-Z Time
and yea it was prolly already posted but ive not seen it on here yet ;)

Wow, what a frankenstein. Kyosho, xmod, and some mini-x bits too...

LBRC
2006.09.01, 09:17 PM
Ikinariís has a video and small write up about it on his web site.

easy
2006.09.02, 04:19 PM
I don't understand why this forum is still pining away for a 4WD OL. Considering the piss poor job you guys say Kyosho has done on the AWD Z why would you expect a 4WD OL to be any better?

Folks at scale4x4 RCCrawler R7R and other forums recognise the SSMT143 as the bench mark crawler in the 1/2x scale. It takes no more effort to mod an SSMT143 into a great crawler than it does to do the LSSM a body lift and wheel well mod on an OL and the OL doesn't stand a chance crawling against the SSMT.

Yes the SSMT 143 is currently discontinued at TRU in the US but Canada still has some left. Rather than whip the dead horses at Kyosho with pointless emails why not email TRU and tell them to bring back the SSMT143? Since Fastlane already has the SSMT143 tooled up we stand a better chance of getting those back into production than convincing Kyosho to do something they obviously are not interested in doing.

In case you haven't seen what a SSMT143 can do have a look.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/davemud/122304910.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/davemud/122304927.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/davemud/122304932.jpg

Fastlane made a mistake making a modified copy of the MZM when they made the SSMT124. The 4WD is great but the ground clearance sucks because they used Kyosho's front and rear pod layout. for 20.00 however buy the thing and just use the parts to build your own axles and frame.

On the other hand wait another year for Iwaver to get their IS 4WD truck on the market. I'm not the Iwaver fan I used to be but at least they are developing what you want.

Sure this is a MiniZ forum, I get that, but why continue to support a company that isn't listening to you their customers? That is a deth sentence in most markets especially if the quality of the product that is being produced isn't up to the customer's expectations.

DM

EnTg888
2006.09.02, 05:39 PM
I, for one, would like to see an official kyosho 4wd OL, simply because it's the easiest to use right out of the box. The SS's require a lot of modding, pcb swab, etc. to get to hobby level, though I do agree they are great once they're done. The chances of seeing a kyosho vehicle, however, is extremely slim.
By the way, Toy-east has pics of the new iwavers (truck and buggy) on their forums.

tzero
2006.09.02, 07:22 PM
For some reason I cant find the pics on Toy-East, could you post them?

EnTg888
2006.09.02, 09:01 PM
Umm... I'm not sure i'm allowed to post the pics here, but i'll link it.
http://www.toy-east.net/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=4
The two threads (05 & 03) are there. Remove the "-" in toy-east.

tzero
2006.09.02, 09:14 PM
OMG thoes are soooo ulgy. Ill wait for Drac's chassis.lol

easy
2006.09.02, 09:45 PM
The SSMT143 is geared so low it really doesn't need a propo board in it. You do need to lower them and that is really easily done by making som upper shock mount extensions. The other thing you really must do is lock the slipper gear and that is easily done in about 2 minutes with CA glue.

To get a longer run time and better radio performance you should install holders for 2 AAA batteries. All of these things are easier to do than the LSSM, body mount and wheel well mods you need to do on an OL to run a decent set of tires to get some decent clearance.

This SSMT143 just has NB 4xfour bodies and tires on it and is quite capable.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/davemud/SSMT%20-%20New%20Bright%204xFour%20Monster%20Trucks/122304176.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/davemud/SSMT%20-%20New%20Bright%204xFour%20Monster%20Trucks/122304172.jpg

This one has an easy to do stretch and is even more capeble than the one above. Even with stock batteries and electronics both can easily best an OL on even a mild crawling course.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/davemud/SSMT%20-%20New%20Bright%204xFour%20Monster%20Trucks/122304226.jpg

Even if Kyosho does produce a 4WD OL true to the current OL and or AWD Z its going to need at least as much work as the SSMT143 to be a capable crawler and it will cost at least 5x more. Why bother?

DM

alpha_003
2006.09.02, 09:49 PM
hey EASY,
any idea where i can get a SSMT143?? i suppose they arent for sale anymore, or are they the ones that they sell as the monster truck on the fast lane page?? so how does that little thing turn, i mean i cant find any steering links...also, does anyone one where i can get an iwaver 04??? i heard that they were being discontinued...should i wait for the 05 or buy it on clearance???
i think most other R/C's are much easier to mod and cheaper than an overland (most people want that realistic scale action) but other R/C's can solve that, like the ssmt143 or the ssmt124 or the xmod truck or the mini crusher or the CUB X or the iwaver 04....
still i wish 4wd overlands were made..... :(

-Lino

arch2b
2006.09.02, 11:08 PM
there is a huge difference between the ssmt and an overland. one is made for extreme driving and one is not. anytime you try to go outside the box with a chassis it's going to get more expesive and more creative. it's typically much easier and cheaper to start with something similar to what your looking to do. for example, it would not be in your best interest to buy an ssmt only to hack it for track racing likewise with an overland and rock crawling.
this by no means it is not possible to do these things, your just asking for more work, creativity and possibly money.

i've seen the new iwaver truck and to me it looks like a horrible truck. i've seen better looking nikko toys. then again, i'm not a monster truck fan either so there you have it :o there new 1/24 buggy looks more promissing.

this is not the thread for iwavers anyway, so lets get back to overlands... i for one would really like to see some form of 4wd overland. the ma-010 has been sucessful and proven it can be a real racer in the right hands (see hfay standings). no reason why bringing 4wd to overlands could not be just as fun.

HammerZ
2006.09.03, 12:49 AM
Rock crawling may be a big segment of offroading. I am sure it isn't the only thing.

I may be one of those "pining away" for a Kyosho entry into the 4WD market. As what they put out would be worth it from what I have seen so far. If it wasn't for the Mini Z's in general, most of us would still be spending most all our pay on 1/10 and 1/12 cars and trucks, there would not be any smaller scales to explore.

Can ball bearings be installed on SSMT's?

alpha_003
2006.09.03, 04:08 PM
I have always thought the overland was disappointting since it was just 2wd, i knowit supposed to be realistic, but any obstacle to these tiny cars are extreme!!! i wish kyosho would release a MZM and an OL with 4wd capabilities. but for now, we have to settle for other R/C's to do the job....does anyone know where i can get a SSMT143??? also,
@ arch2b- i think the iwaver 05 looks pretty nasty (in a bad way), i only buy iwavers for their pcbs and controllers...for my ssmts and such. what do you think of the iwaver 04 (is it 4wd???)
@ easy- do you know where i can get a super slicks monster 1/43??? dont care if its used or new, just in good condition.

-Lino