PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my monster

carfreak_22
2006.08.22, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm sick and tired of regluing my front servo case on my monster so I'm planning on buying some more alloy parts. Right now, it has bearings, an x-speed motor, alloy wheel nuts, and front and rear alloy shock stays. What do you reccomend I buy to create a better basher? I plan on picking up the following:
-alloy front gearbox
-alloy wheels
-soft foam tire inserts
-2x3 4562 FETs
- possibly a high performance motor (which one?)

Do you recommend anything else? Anyways, I've also painted my rims black. They look alright with the chrom body but still need a touch up. Here's some pics.

jaeneke
2006.08.23, 03:08 AM
Well, I'm sick and tired of regluing my front servo case on my monster so I'm planning on buying some more alloy parts. Right now, it has bearings, an x-speed motor, alloy wheel nuts, and front and rear alloy shock stays. What do you reccomend I buy to create a better basher? I plan on picking up the following:
-alloy front gearbox
-alloy wheels
-soft foam tire inserts
-2x3 4562 FETs

Do you recommend anything else? Anyways, I've also painted my rims black. They look alright with the chrom body but still need a touch up. Here's some pics.

tire inserts give you more traction on smooth surfaces but you need a atomic stock motor !!
then you can wheelie like hell :D

carfreak_22
2006.08.23, 07:19 PM
tire inserts give you more traction on smooth surfaces but you need a atomic stock motor !!
then you can wheelie like hell :D

Thanks for the help, I'll look into that motor.

Quick question: I have a spare mzm board. Can I take the stock fets of that and do a 2x2 stack? Will the performance gain be worth it? Thanks

Newbster
2006.08.23, 10:32 PM
Hey, Im pretty sure the answer to your question would be no, but Ill let a pro answer it better for you.

I was wondering if you would be willing to sell your spare board? And if you would be, does it have the servo and everything attatched? (I want to make a propo SSMT 1:24th)

carfreak_22
2006.08.24, 03:07 PM
Can someone please confirm this for me?

HammerZ
2006.08.24, 08:31 PM
-alloy front gearbox
-alloy wheels
-soft foam tire inserts
-2x3 4562 FETs

Do you recommend anything else?

Different tires maybe added to your list. I love my block tread tires, they seem to work on most everything. Carpet is about the only thing that they are not so good on, I have heard that the mini pins are best for that though. The upgrade tires do give you a good "bang for the buck" as hopups go.

As with your spare board, I say save your extra parts and build a second truck with it. It's good to have a stock or close to stock truck to see how much the upgraded one is next to it.

carfreak_22
2006.08.25, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have mini stud tires coming sometime soon.

Unfortunately though, all I have of the other mzm is the pcb now. Is it possible to stack 2x2 3004 FETs? I plan on getting rid of that board, but keeping the stock FETs.

MINIz guy11
2006.08.25, 05:47 PM
hey, i might want that board with no fets but with all the solder pads on. im pretty sure i wont be able to fix my OL board with its lifted solder pad

carfreak_22
2006.08.27, 11:06 PM
sorry guys, board is sold.

I will have two spare 3004 fets though. Should I keep them incase I burn the originals out or stack them? I will be putting some more alloy on the truck so more power to move the added weight around would be great? has anyone stacked 2x2 3004s?

helldriver
2006.08.29, 05:49 AM
Is there any 4WD Monster? :p
Thank you.

carfreak_22
2006.09.23, 12:17 PM
sorry, no 4wd monster....yet

Anyways, I bought a couple bits and pieces from Tuner1989 (great seller btw). Heres a quick review on them:

GPM alloy wheels- definately a must! These are noticably heavier but seem to just roll over everything. They make the little mzm feel like a larger scale rc. oh yeah, they also look awesome.

Kyosho Pin tires - Also a must have, especially if you race or drive on carpet. The tire itself is much stiffer than stock, but the tread seems softer. These tires give you tons of grip period.

GPM Alloy servocase - Pretty good quality, and very strong (I have been ramping my mzm off any thing I can find ever since I installed it). But, it is also very, very heavy. You really have to keep the throttle pinned when in midair in order to keep the truck leveled. The weight of the servo case really keeps the front end down (I can't wheelie anymore) but gives you great turn-in. I have had a few problems with installing the front bumper and oil shocks though. The front bumper just doesn't want too fit. It seems like the mounting holes are too close together on the servo case. As for the front oil shocks, there isn't enough room to fit the plastic spacer. I'll just have to run the stock shocks until I figure something out.

Here's a s pic of the new parts:

carfreak_22
2006.09.23, 01:47 PM
Heres a couple more blurry shots. The second one shows the little room inbetween the top shock mount and servocase shock mount.