PDA

View Full Version : PN Cup 2006: Toronto, Canada Sept 24-06

Sinister_Y
2006.08.28, 12:10 PM
Hi All,

Everything is pretty much set for the upcoming race on Sunday, September 24th. There have been quite a few confirmed U.S. entries (which is fantastic!) as well as some hot local talent.

Most of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) hobby shops were provided packages which included a cool full colour poster and entry forms. Unfortunately, the day went by very quickly and I couldn't see all the shops, so they should expect me this coming week.

Here is a list of the shops (that carry Mini-z) that have elected (so far) to carry race packages:

A&J Hobbies 905-305-1479
http://www.ajhobbies.net/

Advance Hobbies 416-321-8377
www.advancehobbies.com

Advance R/C 905-946-8088
www.advance-rc.com

Boy Toys 905-755-1100
www.boytoys.ca

Hobby Hobby 905-858-7978
www.hobbyhobby.com

Galaxy Hobby 905-848-3368
www.galaxyhobby.ca

Toronto Zees
www.torontozees.com

ZZ Hobby 905-763-0007
www.zzhobby.com

Soon to be added?:

FastCats 905-337-1299
www.fastcats.ca

Pinnacle Hobbies 905-471-9634
www.pinnaclehobby.ca

So, call/go to your local shop to enter. Alternatively, you can go to the following temporary website address that was setup for this race for the club to download the form:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rjbboo/

All race details are either in the poster or weblink above. The only thing missing is the agenda and final layout, which should be added and communicated in this thread soon.

See you there!

Shawn

hobbycar
2006.08.28, 10:17 PM
I'm looking forward to coming. Hopefully we will get at least a couple of us from Ann Arbor to come on over.

-hobbycar

Draconious
2006.08.28, 11:11 PM
I want to go, but I suck at racing, and I cannot afford the gas, let alone the room for the night and any race entry fees...

So... tell me what track tiles will likely be used, and or possibly on the way... how much space is there. and I will whip up some 3D images of some track layout possibilities, then if one of my layouts get chosen at least I sort of participated LOL.

Sinister_Y
2006.08.29, 12:07 AM
You guys are great...'nuff respect to my south of the border brothers.

Drac, I've got some draft layouts..can you send me an email and I will respond with some .png files (from the wicked program that HaCo and friends created) or Note that the club currently has access to 4 Kyosho America Tracks, 1 inside radius turn kit (which has 3 turns) and 1 Wide L kit. I can send the details on the count of tiles for ya.

I hope that Greg (RC1racing) and John (RCP) can come through and get the club the necesssary extra blank tiles and inside radius turn kits before the race. Last I heard everything was stuck on a boat, but expected to arrive in Cali the end of this month (i.e. now). That is why I have so many possible layouts.

I was really hoping on a 3 tile wide straight. If not, well, it's 2 tile and 'rubbin's racing son' time.

Thanks!

hobbycar
2006.08.29, 12:04 PM
You guys are great...'nuff respect to my south of the border brothers.

Drac, I've got some draft layouts..can you send me an email and I will respond with some .png files (from the wicked program that HaCo and friends created) or Note that the club currently has access to 4 Kyosho America Tracks, 1 inside radius turn kit (which has 3 turns) and 1 Wide L kit. I can send the details on the count of tiles for ya.

I hope that Greg (RC1racing) and John (RCP) can come through and get the club the necesssary extra blank tiles and inside radius turn kits before the race. Last I heard everything was stuck on a boat, but expected to arrive in Cali the end of this month (i.e. now). That is why I have so many possible layouts.

I was really hoping on a 3 tile wide straight. If not, well, it's 2 tile and 'rubbin's racing son' time.

Thanks!

How many extra tiles are you talking about? We have some and might be able to bring them with us if you aren't talking about too many.

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.08.29, 01:07 PM
Well,

Most of the layouts involve about an extra (max) 30 blank tiles from what we have. The best layout (that I've come up with at least) also depends on having the extra inside large radius kit (3 turns). I know that John and Greg will do their best for the club.

The guys from NYC are travelling in a motorhome to come to the event. I know that they have tracks...so, might ask them to bring some as well.

Let's keep one another posted on the progress.

Thanks for the offer, Hobbycar.

pchan0
2006.08.30, 02:22 PM
Looks like this will be a fantastic event with great competition, I need to start dialing in my car then...

pchan0
2006.08.30, 02:40 PM
Shawn,

Please post the time lines if you can as soon as possible to I can and others that are coming from the states know how the day will run. I will make sure to arrive early to help with set up also.

PN AWD stock class here I come.

Peter

Sinister_Y
2006.08.30, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the support Peter.

Generally speaking (as per the poster), free practice (uncontrolled) will start at 7am with race at 8am. If the weather is good, then setup will most likely be 6 am, but if it is supposed to rain, setup will occur the night before.

General format would be driver's meeting, then stock 2wd quali, then stock 4wd quali, then open touring mod, then stock f1. This sequence would happen a total of 3 times (for each heat, i.e. 3 qualis). Then a break while the mains are sorted. Then run the mains as follows: stock f1 mains, stock 2wd mains, stock 4wd mains and lastly the open touring mod mains. To encourage help to teardown (from the club members...I don't expect out of towners or non-club members to help, but it would be greatly appreciated), teardown, followed by trophy awards and pictures, followed by lucky draw (as the last event).

I had planned Qualis to be 5 min each, followed by mains (B- ?) of 8 mins each, while A-mains are 10 mins each. This is flexible as it really depends on how many guys we need to fit until a 8am to (5 pm?) event. If turnout only fills a couple of mains per class (i.e. 16-20 racers) then, qualis can be extended to PN World event rules of 8 min and all mains to 10 mins.

As communciated, I will have a final race agenda soon, but anyone can use the structure above to determine their plans. I will try and build some slack into the plan as to allow additional time between classes for those running multiple classes (I'm one of them...try chasing setup for 4 classes! whew!).

Anyway, I will keep this thread (and minicanada.com and boytoys.ca) updated.

Note for Boytoys customers, they are offering a $10 in-store credit by signing up for this race at their store.

Also, I can't remember I if mentioned it, but T-shirts will be available, which were made special for this event (which were approved by Philip at PN). I will update the temporary website created for this event with a design tonight.

Thanks.

hobbycar
2006.08.30, 08:04 PM
Shawn,

Thanks for the initial breakdown. This will help me as I am planning on bringing my wife and 2 boys (4 & 7). This will help plan their day. Please keep us updated here as you continue to flesh it out.

Also when will the decision be made about whether the event will need to be moved to the secondary indoor location? The day/night before? 2-3 days before?

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.03, 12:51 AM
New pics added to the temporary site:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rjbboo/tshirtcore.htm

Check out the T-shirt that will be available at the race and the default CORE car pic (if you are using a MC3 CORE transponder)

Also note that I was able to confirm that the extra blank tiles and inside radius turn kit should be shipped soon. Keep your fingers crossed...

pchan0
2006.09.07, 01:58 PM
Race date getting closer and closer, this is for sure to be one of most exciting PN event in Canada ever. Get your entry forms in early!

onrailz
2006.09.07, 04:09 PM
1 hour of practice? Seriously? I would expect an event of this nature to be a full day of practice and or qualifying on Saturday and mains on Sunday...

Anyway, looking forward to coming up there with my Ann Arbor club buddies and racing with all of you!

Can someone post the names and addresses of some near by hotels?

See you all on the 24th!

-Onrailz

Sinister_Y
2006.09.07, 11:08 PM
Great suggestion Onrailz.

I did provide some info via email to some people from out of town, however, your idea of providing it in this thread is very thoughtful.

Here are the closest 2 that I could find. Please note that if they are not up to spec, please feel free to do a search on maps.google.com etc... for something that matches your criteria. The address of the venue is 801 Matheson Blvd W, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. (as indicated in the poster that is viewable available the temp website setup for the race...in the 1st post):

Quality Inn Airport West
50 Britannia Road East
Mississauga, ON L4Z 2G2, Canada
(905) 890-1200
(905) 890-5183

Holiday Inn Toronto West
100 Britannia Road East
Mississauga, ON L4Z 2G1, Canada
(905) 890-8690
(905) 890-5700
(905) 568-0868

Thanks for the support so far. I will try my best to make this a race that will be enjoyable and successfull.

Draconious
2006.09.07, 11:56 PM
Also note due to some changes, passports will be required to cross the boarder in some cases... primarily on the way back to US.

will3kgt
2006.09.08, 03:05 AM
I don't think passports are needed until sometime next year.

Draconious
2006.09.08, 02:34 PM
you need proof and ID to get back into the united states... usualy a passport is all they will accept... you NEED a passport if you fly or take a boat... car/train dont need a passport until December, but you still need ID to get back into the USA.

hobbycar
2006.09.09, 12:09 PM
Sinister_Y, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Can you talk a little more about how practice will work?

How will we sort out what frequencies are available for use?

Will we be able to get on the track to practice/test changes between qualifiers and before the mains?

-hobbycar

lilskipro587
2006.09.10, 05:51 PM
I live right by the border and when ever we come bak to the US if we are in canada its never a problem even with a boat with 2 15 ft boxes that u could sotre a few people in they let us go by But one time going from buffalo to detroit we went through canada and coming into detroit the lady gave us a hard time we figure its becuase they read our plates and were from NY and in buffalo when they see them they see we live there and its not a problem

Sinister_Y
2006.09.10, 08:21 PM
Hi,

Practice, right now, is an open practice, i.e. everyone can go at once...however, the club uses and will enforce a whiteboard which has all the frequencies listed (i.e. if there are off bands, they have to list them as well on the board). Then, you write your name on the board beside your frequency.

However, if there are alot of entries, I will probably change it and we'll have controlled practice, i.e. heats...

If I remember rightly, there is a 3-5 minute break between heats, but that was going to be used for mercy minutes etc...and to screw with the computer if we had to.

There will be a significant break between the qualis and mains. This would allow for testing etc...If you're planning on running all the classes, things will definately be tight for you (like me...I plan on running everything..) However, again, it depends on how many guys are there etc... and mostly how we are running for time. If we're ahead of the plan, then I can just gather everyone and we can schedule in an extra practice between heats if time permits, etc... Anyway, the goal for this event is flexibility (which will mean fun) and fairness. I don't want to be running this event until late..'cause I know alot of guys are coming from out of town and probably would be driving home that night, so I know most people would want to end earlier rather than later. I don't plan on being a time policeman either...

onrailz
2006.09.10, 11:24 PM
I don't want to be running this event until late..'cause I know alot of guys are coming from out of town and probably would be driving home that night, so I know most people would want to end earlier rather than later. I don't plan on being a time policeman either...

Yeah, which is why there should be a track set up by like 2pm on Saturday to have open practice and maybe even one round of qualifying in the evening and then the rest of quals and the mains on Sunday. This one day event schedule just about forces us out of town folks to spend 2 nights in a hotel AND take off work on Monday.

Draconious
2006.09.11, 12:56 AM
So.. how many registered racers are there so far?
And... how many per class?

Sinister_Y
2006.09.11, 11:20 PM
Hi Onrailz,

Unfortunately, the proposed idea of a Saturday practice/quali is not possible at this time. Maybe if arrangements were made a while ago, but things are locked-in now (and were as of 2 weeks ago). This includes such things as arrangements with all the shops, the space to run, etc...

When I had 1st approached PN, I worked very closely with his input and the local PN person in NYC who at the time had committed (and is bringing 5 guys with him for this race) people to support and race. Then came other out of town entries and so forth.

I think it is fantasic that you and your mates are willing to come and race with us Canucks! Thanks for the support. Again, I will try my best to make the race as memorable (for good reason ; ) and fun as possible.

Hi Drac,

Thanks again for the track layouts. It looks like those extra tiles and stuff should be here this week. Regarding your question..I haven't checked in with the hobby shops yet, but when speaking with them, it looks like at least 20 local guys. Note that I've been in personal contact with several out of town guys. I've gotten commitments from 8 out of town guys, but there could be more. Entries per class, I don't know yet. Will keep everyone posted with updates. Money-wise it's best to enter multiple classes. As it stands with just one entry, it's like making $10+ bucks alone, i.e. motor is worth $30 (and more), entry is just $25, plus you get lucky draw prizes.

**Reminder to everyone** Please pre-register.

This allows us to work with PN to get the right amount of motors, lucky draw prizes etc... In fact, if you cannot pay right now (out of town people only), don't sweat it. Like I said in the entry form, you can pay at the race, but you need to submit an entry form. Note that any entries received after Sept 18th will carry a $10 charge per class. There will be no exceptions. Why? because to add all the stuff in the computer and things takes time away from the actual event. I'd hate to hold up everyone while late people decided to race.

hobbycar
2006.09.12, 10:52 PM
Sinister_Y, what is the best way to get the Entry Form to you?

Is it okay to print it, fill it out, take a pic of the form & email it to you?

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.13, 11:18 AM
Sure, sounds good.

However, I have been wanting to fix that form for a while, just no time...having a real job sucks...would like to do mini-z full time ; )

May I suggest waiting until tomorrow morning (i.e. Thursday). If I haven't updated the form, I personally would just copy and paste the text into Word. Then email me the word doc (completed) with your info. But, what you had suggested would work too.

Thanks.

imxlr8ed
2006.09.13, 11:39 AM
..having a real job sucks...would like to do mini-z full time ; )

Amen !!! :D

Sinister_Y
2006.09.14, 12:14 AM
Okay mini-z peeps,

I'm sorry that I'm not a web guru, but the good news is that I did manage to update the website with a properly formated entry form this time around.

Just click the link below:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rjbboo/entryform.htm

The form will now print perfectly. You can then fill it out and send it to me. (email: Sinister_y@sympatico.ca).

Thanks Hobbycar and Draconious for your emails with files...couldn't figure out how to put non-html files on the server tough...like I said, just learning so I can do a website for the race.

hobbycar
2006.09.15, 08:02 AM
Hey Shawn, when will the motors and other PN parts be available? Any way they will be available Saturday evening?

Or worst case scenario will they be available super early on Sunday (e.g. 5 or 6am)? We will need to get them so we have time to setup our cars for the 7am practice.

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.15, 01:54 PM
Hi,

To save on shipping, i.e. make it cheaper for everyone, the team from NYC is bringing all the stuff. This is the handout motors, the trophies, the lucky draw prizes and last of all, the parts to sell.

I've managed to get quite a bit of stuff from PN for resale, but I wouldn't be counting on this stuff as most things are ones and twos. For stuff like tires, there will be quite a few choices and quantities to pickup and for other popular items.

The NYC team should be arriving in Toronto late Saturday night which will mean that specifically, the handout motors will be available when the track is ready, provided a racer has preregistered and paid. The resale stuff will be available in the morning, however, things still need to be counted and priced etc... I will try to make sure this happens as quickly as possible.

Also, depending on how many late entries etc..., it maybe possible to make the practice from 7-9 or there abouts. This extra time would need to be used in order to register the late entries, give them the motors etc...

As noted previously, things will go according to the size of the racers that day. That is why I stressed pre-register so much is that it allows better preparation from running the race to ensure everything goes smoothly and on time.

Hope that helps and make you feel good. Don't worry man. I'll be there to support, even if I have to give you some of my personal parts : )

hobbycar
2006.09.15, 10:21 PM
okay.

Shawn, I emailed you my entry form and paypal'd you payment. Let me know if there are any issues.

Current 10 day forecast (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/CAXX0295?from=search_10day) is predicting 60% chance of rain showers and 65F :(

-hobbycar

onrailz
2006.09.16, 12:24 AM
Will there be covered pit area and power available? Tables or chairs? The track will be set up out in a parking lot right?

Sinister_Y
2006.09.16, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys,

Hobbycar and Onrailz, just sent you a confirmation email of your entry. Thanks.

Regarding the pit area, yes, there will be tents setup, with power and with tables/chairs. Anyone who is local, please bring what you can, i.e. tables/chairs as my supplies will be limited, especially for those who haven't pre-registered yet. I can't bring/rent what I need until I know who many ppl are coming in total....

Regarding possible rain, I have 2 indoor locations that are hooked up right now, however, I still wanted to get bigger areas, so I am looking into another spot today, which should be much bigger than the other 2. Either way, I've got you guys covered. The difference is if it rains, you won't be able to show your skillz to the general public, but just us R/C freaks...

I will secure the best indoor spot and communicate where it is (map link) etc... no later than Monday.

P.S. I go to pickup the sweet-*** t-shirts today that will be available at the race. They're 4 colour and look amazing. They will be limited edition, special for this race only. I'm selling them at cost. I won't know the exact price until I get to the screen shop and he tells me the invoice amount. Will communicate it later.

Draconious
2006.09.16, 12:07 PM
If you can find an indoor place... like a school gym, bleachers = driver stand... then I think you should just aim for the indoor location, and put tent rental toward paying for the gym time for the day(s)...

arch2b
2006.09.16, 12:18 PM
the dow guys got a gym space from a local rec center. the stands were perfect for drivers stands if it were setup that way. it was a nice large, flat space with plenty of seeting.

Sinister_Y
2006.09.17, 09:55 PM
Okay, here's the deal.

I made an executive decision to completely run the race indoors due to possible rain this coming week as well as to accomidate the following:

1) setup of the track on Saturday night. Those of you coming from out of town will now have the chance to help build the track (you knew there was a catch) and practice for a couple of hours along with the local guys before Sunday. The new venue will be at the following location:

Seniors Life Enhancement Centre (Centre 2)
2041 Cliff Rd
Mississauga ON L5A 3N8
Canada

CLick here to get a googlemap link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2041+Cliff+Rd,+Mississauga+ON+L5A+3N8&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=15&ll=43.577935,-79.592814&spn=0.013959,0.041585&iwloc=A

Alternatively, check out the centre's weblink:

http://www.slec.ca/contact/

The place is Centre II (2)

This spot is only about a 15-20 min drive from Boytoys for whoever has booked rooms in adjacent hotels, so this is no biggie to travel this distance.

Y'all can thank my fiance, Heidi who manages the spot. It used to be a grocery store and has two huge spaces. One of the rooms will be the pit room and the other the track room. The track room is large enough to fit a 37/38 foot by 27 foot track, which is what we're gonna setup.

I've been working with Draconius for a couple of weeks now and with his input, I've selected and designed the final track.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon.

I will post contact information again for me as well as an actual setup time/practice time for those coming on Saturday night. Right now the estimated time is setup starts at 7pm and we'll run until 9:30pm. Doors will close at 10pm. Since the place is secure and has an alarm system etc..., it would be possible to leave your stuff there overnight. But the centre nor do I accept responsibility if someone breaks in and takes all of our stuff and no, you can't sleep there...! lol

hobbycar
2006.09.17, 11:26 PM
Great! We'll do our best to try to get there by 7pm on Saturday (5 of us from the Ann Arbor crew) to help setup and practice.

Please post pics of the chosen setup when you get a chance.

Thanks to Shawn (and Heidi :)) and everyone else for getting this whole reace setup.

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.18, 11:39 PM
Track layout is now final. Website has been updated:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rjbboo/

We're talking a high speed circuit. Should let the open touring guys show what they've got.

Also just took delivery of the t-shirts today...wow, awesome. Price will be $25 CDN each. I will take some pics and update the site soon.

Also, will finalize the times for setup of the track on Saturday.

Thanks to all who have pre-registered so far!

SaiTam
2006.09.19, 08:33 AM
I saw the track, but not sure whether it's clockwise or counter-CW.

hobbycar
2006.09.19, 09:27 AM
And is there really going to be an open "pit of despair" near the start/finish line? Or is it a mistake and actually there is going to be a rounded corner tile with bumper?

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.19, 10:55 AM
Hi,

Sai, Track is to be run clockwise.

Hobbycar, yes there is a pulloff area just after the start/finish line. The rationale was 2 fold, when you're done, you simply pull off and secondly for those that may encounter problems, either mechanical or electrical, can at least try and get the car over the start/finish line and then pull off to get that last lap.

The pull off area is off-line, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you're going 3 abreast into that area and someone gets cheap, then maybe you'll be punted into the "pit of despair", but otherwise, things should be fine.

The layout itself is final. However, the pull off areas can be moved if they become a problem. We'll see what works when we set it up on Saturday night and try it out. Then, come Sunday (race day), everything will be in order.

hobbycar
2006.09.19, 10:59 AM
Actually I was talking about the "missing" corner. See attached pic.

:D

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.19, 11:30 AM
Actually I was talking about the "missing" corner. See attached pic.

:D

-hobbycar

You're too funny, lol...I guess with work, this race and I also am doing a fund raiser race for the United Way this Thursday (I did everything for free and we're using what I called ghetto minis, i.e. power runner cars, which are a hoot. They advertise proportional steering, but I think it is more like 2 or 3 step steering. Also they bite hard on the RCP track, making it interesting to see these R/C newbies running around the track..heh heh) I am losing my mind a little.

Although I have to thank HaCo and his crew for the RCP track program, that is one spot where the current version is a little weak, i.e. combining outside 90 turns with large inside radius turns. You can't put both in. However, I read that he is working on an update to accomidate RCP (and Drac's) long 45 degree kit for the mini-96. Maybe this will be fixed in the new release as well. Hey, want do we want for free?

SaiTam
2006.09.19, 06:18 PM
Sinister_Y

For this Canadian PN race, are the PN Regional rules strictly enforced?

I want to make sure that for stock 2WD class, only 3004 FETs are allowed.

How about F1 class? 3004 or 3010 or either?

I have a choice of 3004 and 3010 and I want to be sure.

Hopefully you can communicate this to all the racers prior to the race.

Sai

hobbycar
2006.09.19, 06:37 PM
Sinister_Y

For this Canadian PN race, are the PN Regional rules strictly enforced?

I want to make sure that for stock 2WD class, only 3004 FETs are allowed.

How about F1 class? 3004 or 3010 or either?

I have a choice of 3004 and 3010 and I want to be sure.

Hopefully you can communicate this to all the racers prior to the race.

Sai

I sure hope the 2WD stock & F1 stock classes are strictly enforced to only be 3004 FETs as it was originally stated to be PN Rules. If not I would have tried to get a new MR-02 and F1 with the new 3010 FETs for this race. By now it's too late for me to scramble and get them.

But good question to get clarified.

-hobbycar

pchan0
2006.09.19, 07:08 PM
I remember Shawn listing the classes and is something like this.

2wd stock- PN Rules
4wd stock- PN Rules
Open Mod- Kyosho chassis only, no Pro-z etc... FET upgrade and AD band is allowed. PN Pan car body is allowed.
Stock F1- PN Rules

Sinister_Y
2006.09.19, 10:19 PM
Hi Guys,

The intent is to follow the rules to a "T" as stated. The exception is the open touring class. I made that AD since most ppl in Toronto, who are nuts like me, run AD. Also the other exception is that I wanted to allow the PN pan car body (must be kyosho chassis and no other brand of pan car except PN, as mentioned in the entry form).

So, what if someone turns up with 3010 FETS in a stock class? Well, if they don't place in the top 3 in a main, it doesn't really matter. They just have to face that they cheated. I (or a delegated member) will only be inspecting boards after the finals to allow you guys (and me) time to do repairs, tuning etc... During qualifying, it's simply, weight, wheelbase and general inspection (i.e. motor tampering). These steps should make the race fair, yet go smoothly to allow more time for practicing and setup work.

Thanks

hobbycar
2006.09.20, 08:46 AM
Cool.

Shawn, do you know yet which side of the track the drivers will be standing on?

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.20, 10:52 AM
Just to note that the drivers will be standing on the side opposite the straight away, i.e. the infield section. This is standard for all the races I've been at (for 8 years now...)

In case I didn't mention, we are running clockwise as well.

Well, numbers are shaping up well, there are expected about 30-35 ppl in total. Most everyone is running in multiple classes. It should be a hoot.

Note that there is a restaurant 2 units down from the place, so food should not be an issue. Also, there will be pop, chips, chocolate bars and cheese/cracker packages available for sale at the place. Lastly, there was going to be a group pizza order offered for lunchtime. Pizza choice would be pepperoni or veggie (if anyone wanted veggie). Anyway, ppl can use the restaurant as indicated if they don't want pizza.

On a side note, the place we are using is non-profit and since they are funded by the government (and there have been major cutbacks in this sector), selling of the food should help them out. The r/c club doesn't make a net profit (i.e. just to cover expenses, i.e. break even), so any extra money will go to the place. The place is really part of 2 centres, the one we're at is for special needs physically challenged seniors (i.e. post-stroke heart attack ppl who are partially paralyzed, M.S., etc...). The other centre deals with special needs mentally challenged seniors (i.e. Alzheimers, M.S. again, etc...). So, just think it is a good thing to help these guys out as our parents, friends and maybe even us mayl need a place like this.

Thanks to all for your support so far. Response has been great and I've got another couple good lucky draw prizes last night...so, it should be really fun for everyone.

Remember to bring cash as since we are not beside the hobby store now, we don't have access to debit or credit card terminals. This applies to everything, i.e. food, entry fees, parts etc...Thanks.

SaiTam
2006.09.20, 12:29 PM
Over there in Canada do you guys ban people from walking with shoes on RCP track?

Will the track be thoroughly cleaned and vaccumed prior to the race?

Sinister_Y
2006.09.20, 01:18 PM
Over there in Canada do you guys ban people from walking with shoes on RCP track? yes, no walking on the track with shoes...very very bad...

Will the track be thoroughly cleaned and vaccumed prior to the race?
probably not, most vaccuums will ruin the textured surface. I hand cleaned the 5 tracks before and I don't want to do that again anytime soon. So, track will probably be "as is".

Draconious
2006.09.20, 02:06 PM
Will there be aliens watching our every lap? :p

Vaccuuming it is a very good idea... not all vacumes have a powered agitator brush.. and most that due, can run with it off, for hard floors... a shop vac with a wide nozzle is the best to use. I would bring my mini vac that cleans it GREAT, but every says it smells when it runs, and it kinda does... but I figured out that it was because of RCP dust burning up in the fan/motor/filter area LOL...

And since there will be BRAND NEW tiles within the track layout... I think it better be done... with 30-40 racers with about 2 cars each... thats a lot of lap dust... so there is going to be such a massive dust cloud mess in that place if we dont, it is a medical like facility... it will get in their lungs... wouldnt want it to pose a hazard... I had a track up for a few days in our house, and I raced on it 24/7 for 3 or 4 days... had nothing else to do... and the whole house smelled like rcp and rcp dust... and I even had the windows open.

Note that I am sort of exagerating the dust cloud here, its not that bad, but when your sick the slightest dust... This ordinarily would be no big deal.. just a bit of smell and dust, almost not noticable... but a few days later I got sick (from the guy laying carpet in our house)... and the rcp dust was really bugging me... so much so I locked the track up in the room it was in and didnt touch it. I was very uncomfortable... and again dont want to put any of them through it, it was mostly the new carpet smell that bugged me, but when I walked past the tiny bedroom with 2 boxes of RCP track laying on the floor, I always got a wiff of RCP track, note that I do like the smell, just not when Im sick!!!

PaulBoth
2006.09.20, 02:30 PM
Shawn, I've got a RIGID vac that has a 5HP motor on it I think... It's got a wand that has no brisstles. It'll suck every last piece of dirt, dust, and whatever else up... It's got the air vent muffler on it, which reduces the high pitch motor whine by a fair margin. Let me know if you want me to bring it...

Looking forward to meeting all the other MiniZRacer members.

Maybe if others are interested, I can bring some 4x2 stickers that we can put our names on...???

PB

Sinister_Y
2006.09.20, 11:14 PM
Hi Paul,

Plz bring the vac then...we all can take turns I guess to vac the track...

Also, I already have name stickers for the club. I never made ppl wear it cause running outside in the heat, they just fell off..It was a mess..

Sinister_Y
2006.09.22, 11:52 AM
Please note that tomorrow will be the last day to register at the hobby stores. Please go to your local hobby store to register no later than noon as that will be the last time I will be visiting the stores.

Note that the club would love to welcome any late racers, but they need to come by the actual place to register on Sunday. We can accept late entries up until the 2nd qualifying heat. Once the 2nd qualifying heats are run, the computer will not accept new racers.

Thanks.

Note, we will have about 25-30 showing up for this event.

There are even more lucky draw prizes now and more to come. So far, we've got prizes from PN, prizes from Advance R/C and Advance Hobbies, John's Hobbies, Toronto Zees and to be picked up: ZZhobby, Boytoys and A&J hobbies. There maybe other stores that will donate as well. Everyone will win something...along with those $30 each handout motors that are included for the minimal entry fee. Plus, you don't have to buy the CORE transponders necessary to run the race, they will be provided by the club at no charge. You can purchase transponders at the track for $15 each.

We will open the doors on Saturday night at 7pm. All who turn up AND help with building the track, i.e. setting up in general will be rewarded with free practice until 9:30pm. The track will close at 10pm.

The track will be open at 7am on Sunday for open practice until 8 or 9am. Then the qualifiers start, followed by the main races.

See you there!

If you need to contact me for anything, please call my mobile: 647-519-8074 as I will not have access to email past Saturday.

PaulBoth
2006.09.25, 07:57 AM
First off, I wanted to say thanks to Shawn and his family support (Heidi and our trophy girl Maggie) for putting on an amazing event. Shawn dedicated a lot of his own time/money to make this event what it was.

It was a very long day, but it was a lot of fun. The event ran smooth without any major hiccups. (except the MOD A-main)

Congrats to Sai Tam - who took home 4 of the available 12 trohpies.

I hope all our american friends made it home safe and sound without hassles at the border.

I've got a ton of pictures and an hour worth of Video, I'll try to get to it as soon as I can. Looking forward to next 2007 event already...

PB

PaulBoth
2006.09.25, 09:31 AM
I figured I should post the winners of the A-Main, as well as a group shot...

All Racers:
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6440&cat=945&page=1
2WD Stock A-Main : 1st Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6439&cat=945&page=1
2WD Stock A-Main : 2nd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6438&cat=945&page=1
2WD Stock A-Main : 3rd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6434&cat=945&page=1
2WD Mod A-Main : 1st Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6437&cat=945&page=1
2WD Mod A-Main : 2nd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6436&cat=945&page=1
2WD Mod A-main : 3rd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6435&cat=945&page=1
AWD A-Main : 1st Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6428&cat=945&page=1
AWD A-Main : 2nd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6432&cat=945&page=1
AWD A-Main : 3rd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6433&cat=945&page=1
F1 A-Main : 1st Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6429&cat=945&page=1
F1 A-Main : 2nd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6430&cat=945&page=1
F1 A-Main : 3rd Place
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=6431&cat=945&page=1

Well that's all the A-main winner's and there trohpies... Thanks to Maggie for being the trophy girl - even if she was a little shy about it!

PB

P.s. I'll most some action shots later... gotta get back to work.

mini-z
2006.09.25, 10:00 AM
First off, I wanted to say thanks to Shawn and his family support (Heidi and our trophy girl Maggie) for putting on an amazing event. Shawn dedicated a lot of his own time/money to make this event what it was.

It was a very long day, but it was a lot of fun. The event ran smooth without any major hiccups. (except the MOD A-main)

Congrats to Sai Tam - who took home 4 of the available 12 trohpies.

I hope all our american friends made it home safe and sound without hassles at the border.

I've got a ton of pictures and an hour worth of Video, I'll try to get to it as soon as I can. Looking forward to next 2007 event already...

PB

Ditto - everyone please laude your praise on Shawn in my Sinister_Y Appreciation Thread! (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22918)! :)

arch2b
2006.09.25, 03:12 PM
fyi, i started a pn mini-z racing world cup 2006 gallery section under 'events'
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=947

please feel free to upload images to the correct sub categories. right now all i have is the toronto regional. if there are images from others, please let me knwo and i will add them as needed.

hobbycar
2006.09.25, 09:47 PM
fyi, i started a pn mini-z racing world cup 2006 gallery section under 'events'
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=947

please feel free to upload images to the correct sub categories. right now all i have is the toronto regional. if there are images from others, please let me knwo and i will add them as needed.

Thanks arch2b. I was wondering were to put those photos. I moved mine into there.

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.26, 10:12 PM
Hey guys, updated the temp site with CORE html files, i.e. qualifying and race results.

Note that yours truly posted the 2nd fastest 4wd stock laptime (Chuck was fastest)... this made the event all worth while for me as I only ran about 2 qualifiers the entire event and I was entered for all 4 classes...pity the fool...

Check out your lap times and results!

website link again:

www3.sympatico.ca/rjbboo

hobbycar
2006.09.27, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting the files Shawn!

Looks like the Core didn't record any of my laps in the AWD Stock A Main :( (I'm sure I had the transponder in there too because I used the same body for the Stock 2WD race prior). I think I did pretty good to. Oh well. I'll have to see a video of the race to see how I coulda/woulda placed. :D

-hobbycar

arch2b
2006.09.27, 12:20 PM
how were the drivers added? ie; added thru menu or scanned in? if they were added thru the menu it's easy to pick the wrong tag. you will see it lissted but it will nto count bacause it's referencing a different tag id. had this problem in dc....

Sinister_Y
2006.09.27, 12:47 PM
Hi Arch,

The way I setup was everyone got 1 tag for the day (from the club). They would have to move this individual tag from each car for their respective classes, so to directly answer, the racers were added only once. We then ran the race to check transponders to ensure they worked, i.e. counted. Then restarted the cpu for the real heats/races.

We only had a couple of issues where people were not putting the xponders in the hood area,i.e. above body clip. This resulted in interference I suppose which caused a couple of guys to lose laps during heats/mains.

For hobbycar, that's plain weird. Sorry about that...maybe when Paul was filling in he may have put max racers to 7? This could have been my screwup as well. I don't know. You're right though, would have been nice to see where you fit into things...Well, chalk this up to a learning experience on my part.

hobbycar
2006.09.27, 01:47 PM
For hobbycar, that's plain weird. Sorry about that...maybe when Paul was filling in he may have put max racers to 7? This could have been my screwup as well. I don't know. You're right though, would have been nice to see where you fit into things...Well, chalk this up to a learning experience on my part.

Yeah, no prob. I'll just look at the video when someone posts it and manually count my laps to get an idea of where I would have placed.

Thanks,
-hobbycar

arch2b
2006.09.27, 01:52 PM
it sounds like you did htings the most efficient way...

what happened with us is, everyone has 2 tags. 1 for just hfay and 1 just for dcps. this way all i had to do was load the drivers. some lost/misplaced thier tags and got replacements and when they saved the info i got duplicate tag names/info.

hobbycar
2006.09.29, 10:43 AM
So does anyone have a video of the AWD Stock A Main race?

I want to see the racing action of between Chuck and James (didn't see it live because I was too busy driving :( although with the crowd going crazy I was tempted to watch them instead :)). I also want to see how many laps I did as the Core didn't count any of my laps.

Remember you can post the video onto http://YouTube.com or http://video.google.com

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.29, 12:48 PM
Paul probably does, but he is super busy right now at work and at home. He has a new baby a few months back from what I recall (3 month old?). He was lucky to get approval to come to the race...; )

I will followup with him later and he always reviews this forum anyway, so he'll find your comments.

I'm a little undecided about the world cup event. I would love to go, just time and money. I think I can do well there, even though there are probably going to be some ultra fast guys (including some of the guys from the Cdn regional) and not sure where I would sit. Again, not to harp on this, but I did set 2nd fastest lap in the AWD A-main and finished 2 laps more than anyone else the B main. That was only with 1 qualifier under my belt too...this time I would have time to socialize AND work on my car.

In the AWD A main, Chuck came out of nowhere for me, i.e. I was running 3rd and here he comes...man, must be those 1000 Sanyo's. They either peak near 5 min mark or keep it steady where other batteries start to fall away at the 5 min mark? It also depends on how you train them I guess. I should recycle everything before the worlds if I go. That and I need a front body clip. I love the Murcielago for the 4wd. Heavy, but solid.

hobbycar
2006.09.30, 08:46 AM
Cool on the video. I know what it is like to be busy taking care of little kids :D

Shawn you should go to worlds if you can. Just get some more practice and setup time in and you should make a good showing. I seem to somehow recall that you did get the 2nd fastest laptime in the AWD Main ;) Seriously if you get your consistency down you should place very well.

-hobbycar

SaiTam
2006.10.02, 12:25 AM
Shawn,

We just found out that Willy burnt two of his MA-010 cars from the PN Regional race because he was handed a Macho Modified for his 4WD stock race. He never used any PN AWD motor before nor did he ever raced PN Regional 4WD class, that's why he didn't know the difference between speedy AWD and Macho. Please be careful next time. Willy is upset because both of his cars are brand new and the 3010 FETs are unavailable.

Sinister_Y
2006.10.02, 09:46 AM
Shawn,

We just found out that Willy burnt two of his MA-010 cars from the PN Regional race because he was handed a Macho Modified for his 4WD stock race. He never used any PN AWD motor before nor did he ever raced PN Regional 4WD class, that's why he didn't know the difference between speedy AWD and Macho. Please be careful next time. Willy is upset because both of his cars are brand new and the 3010 FETs are unavailable.

Sai, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you please clarify?

Are you saying that he was given a Macho for the AWD class or was the macho mistakenly put into the ma-010? Since he ran 4 classes, he should have gotten a Speedy05 for F1, a Speedy05 for 2wd Stock, a SpeedyAWD for 4wd Stock and either a Macho or Anima for Open Touring. PN stated to me that the Macho and Anima were the same thing, either could be used for either ma-010 or mr-02/15 for open touring.

It was explained when the motors were handed out which motor went with what class.

Thanks.

arch2b
2006.10.02, 09:50 AM
fyi,
mini-z is finalizing orders for the 3010 fets so they should be available in the shop soon. if you need more information you can emial mini-z.

SaiTam
2006.10.02, 10:35 AM
Willy ran four classes and the motors he got are:

Speedy 05 for F1 and 2WD stock
Anima for Open Touring
Macho AWD for 4WD Stock (BIG MISTAKE!)

He didn't know why his two MA-010 cars kept overheating and finally burned out(both the plastic cover and FETs). He wasn't aware that the Macho motor would blow up his stock board and he should've used the Speedy AWD. Not until I looked at his car this past Sat I realized he was given the wrong motor for 4WD stock.

The good thing is I know how to do FETs but I need to find 3010 FETs for him

Sai, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you please clarify?

Are you saying that he was given a Macho for the AWD class or was the macho mistakenly put into the ma-010? Since he ran 4 classes, he should have gotten a Speedy05 for F1, a Speedy05 for 2wd Stock, a SpeedyAWD for 4wd Stock and either a Macho or Anima for Open Touring. PN stated to me that the Macho and Anima were the same thing, either could be used for either ma-010 or mr-02/15 for open touring.

It was explained when the motors were handed out which motor went with what class.

Thanks.

Sinister_Y
2006.10.02, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

What I can offer is to send the board out of my Ma-010 to him and he send his burned out one to me. I will then have it fixed sometime. This way, he'll have something to run.

Please provide his mailing address to me so I can send it off. I will send tomorrow morning from work.

Regarding the 2nd board, tell him to order the FETS from mini-zracer.com like Arch suggested and then tell me how much they were. I will then reimburse him for the cost.

This is most I can do. Keep in mind that ****e happens, but I would like to make him happy and make things right.

Thank you.

SaiTam
2006.10.02, 01:37 PM
I spoke to Willy and he appreciated your offer.

I already fixed his car by replacing his blown Forward 3010 FET with the 3010 Reverse FET from the other blown board. Whenever you have the 3010 FETs, just save him two pieces. I can perform FET swap so there's no need to send our boards across border. We may come to Toronto again in the near future for tourism or Mini-Z racing BTW.

Sai

Sinister_Y
2006.10.02, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your understanding.

I will email tinyrc now to reserve some FETS. I will then get them sent to Willy (i have his address from Philip) directly from TinyRC. I will update this thread with any new info.

P.S. I have a spare cover as well. I will send to him tomorrow. Is the stock smoked grey okay?

Sincerely,

Shawn

SaiTam
2006.10.02, 04:15 PM
Don't worry about the plastic cover as he doesn't even use it from now on.

hobbycar
2006.10.04, 12:14 AM
So does anyone have a video of the AWD Stock A Main race?

I want to see the racing action of between Chuck and James (didn't see it live because I was too busy driving :( although with the crowd going crazy I was tempted to watch them instead :)). I also want to see how many laps I did as the Core didn't count any of my laps.

Remember you can post the video onto http://YouTube.com or http://video.google.com

-hobbycar

Another plea...anyone out there have a video of the AWD Stock A Main race at the PN Race in Toronto?

-hobbycar

SaiTam
2006.10.04, 01:33 PM
Or other A-main videos?