PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean a motor?

fastXracer24
2006.09.03, 05:35 PM
Like get ride of the carbon dust, leftover dirty oil just make it look like new.

NOT BREAK IN A MOTOR, CLEAN IT.

HammerZ
2006.09.03, 05:49 PM
Motor spray is a good investment, the cheap old Duratrax stuff works well for me. I clean my motors, bearings and ball diffs with this stuff. Just remove them from the chassis before you clean them, you don't want it attacking the plastic. And dont forget to relube them after cleaning them.

Spoon
2006.09.03, 06:08 PM
I basically use the same stuff. I think what I have is called "electrical parts cleaner" It doesn't leave any residue but like Hammer said, take it out of your Mini-Z. This stuff will make your plastic very brittle. I couldn't figure out for a while why I was busting MR02 MM motor cases and clips. Now I usually use compressed air to make sure I blow all of it out of the motor.

arch2b
2006.09.03, 06:20 PM
has anyone tried crc cleaners? they are made for electric motors
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/damage.aspx?PID=Panel2_4

bolter9
2006.09.03, 06:45 PM
If you have a local hobby shop near by, they should have some electric motor cleaner- the stuff I have right now is called Dynamite Magnum Force 2.

quick steps:

1. Remove motor from chassis (you can keep the wires connected- you just need to be able to keep the motor away from the plastic parts).
2. hold motor on it's end- liberally spray cleaner through the slot in the end. Let cleaner run through and drain out the other end. Let motor dry for a minute or two.
3. Use a thin oil (bushing oil, etc.) and put a small drop on each end of the shaft.

I also use comm-drop- one drop in the slot (same slot you put the spray in), and one drop on the oposite shaft end. It's supposed to help with conductivity.

If you're dedicated, it's a good idea to do this procedure after each race event- keeps your motor screamin' fast!

Spoon
2006.09.03, 08:08 PM

That's the stuff. I use Lectra-Clean. I got it from Advance Auto Parts. Keep a fan handy, you can get high off of the stuff.

I don't do it that often. Usually after I break in a motor.

HammerZ
2006.09.07, 07:04 AM
I only use that stuff for my 1/10 scale cars and trucks that see heavy dirt. About as bad as my Mini Z's get is full of dog hair, and that acts like a filter I guess. In that case the Duratrax spray is strong enough and goes far.

imxlr8ed
2006.09.07, 11:22 AM
I'm using Reedy motor spray, then after it dries out, then I oil the bushings... just a very small amount on each end. (I use Ruf's comm drops for the bushings actually) I rarely use commutator drops on my commutator anymore.

Draconious
2006.09.07, 12:00 PM
I've been diping mine in electrical cleaner spray... i have a container with a screw on lid... put motor in there shake it around a bit, and the clear liquid is soon black with rcp dust and motor dirt, and magnetic crap... etc etc...

edit: as i scroll up and look at the .jpg, ya the stuff spoon posted a pic of :) I just saw it in the garage one day so I used it... I used it on everything, even my bearings... it got a lot of track dust out of the bearings.

JOE KROSNER
2006.09.20, 06:27 PM
This stuff was brought into the r/c industry about 15 years ago.
It will not attack the plastics or lexan at all

Joe Krosner

Sinister_Y
2006.09.30, 10:49 AM
Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner period.

It is the same stuff everyone rebrands and sells as "motor cleaner" etc...

Go to any local store that sells brake cleaner. Make sure it is non-chlorinated or it will melt your plastic in a heartbeat.

I personally use GM brake cleaner as I have a few friends who are dealer mechanics and can get the stuff cheap, but any non-chlorinated brake cleaner will work.

hellogoodbye
2007.11.05, 05:51 PM

Hello all, FIRST POST OHOH OHOH!!!!!

Anyway, I tried the CRC MASS AIR FLOW Cleaner. That stuff works great and it evaporates quickly on it's on. I even used it to clean my PCB board no problems. I had used it before to clean PCB boards in computers and other electronics. It's safe on all plastics and leaves no residue. Welcome to the future. LOL!