PDA

View Full Version : Sinister_Y Appreciation Thread!

mini-z
2006.09.25, 09:49 AM
Everybody please join me in thanking Shawn for putting what was probably more work and time than any of us will ever realize into making the PN World Cup 2006 Canadian Regional Race a great success and a great time for all! :) Sportsmanship and enjoyability were upheld in the face of numerous challenges and everybody had a great time racing, working on their setups, making new friends, and putting faces to old friends from the Forums. Thanks also to his lovely fiance Heidi, for organizing the facilities, without which our cars would almost certainly have either been blown away or drowned in Sunday's erratic weather, and who took care of all the little things like getting us fed and refrigerating our cases of Red Bull! And thanks of course to his gorgeous niece Maggie for adding a touch of flair to the prize draw, not being too embarrassed about getting roped into impromptu trophy girl duties, and most importantly hooking me up with English candy! There were many others whose contributions we may not have been fully aware of, including people like Paul and George who took the reins when needed so that Shawn actually had a chance to compete in the race he'd organized, as well as everyone who loaned someone else a part they needed, taught someone a new setup trick, or graciously allowed a front runner to pass in deference to their own race. Thanks to the vendors who donated an amazing quantity of prizes, and again to Shawn for soliciting and organizing those as well as the classy trophies! And thanks of course to PN for organizing the series and providing the resources and expertise to make it happen. Lastly, thanks to the Academy, who...oops wrong speech - give it up for Shawn! :) :D :cool:

briankstan
2006.09.25, 10:22 AM
I know how much work is involved, first hand. Sounds like you pulled off a great event.

Great Job

PaulBoth
2006.09.25, 10:23 AM
Wonderfully written... I completely agree.

It was an amazing event, even though Sinister had been stressed out over it for the last few weeks. It went about as perfect a race as you could expect... There was some excellent competition - and tons of great racing.

Maybe with enough praise, we can convince him into doing it next year??? ;)

PB

mini-z
2006.09.25, 10:30 AM
Wonderfully written... I completely agree.

hehe, thanks, I'm surprised I could even find the keys on my keyboard, I'm still not sure what day it is or what country I'm in! :D

Maybe with enough praise, we can convince him into doing it next year??? ;)

Maybe if we all chip in and get him some kind of relaxing spa day or something he'll be able to decompress enough by this time next year to ignore the voice of sanity in the back of his mind and go through it all again! :D

hobbycar
2006.09.25, 12:00 PM
It was a very well run race and we really enjoyed it. Shawn you did an awesome job. And props to Heidi for getting things arranged at the center to let us race there. It was a perfect location in my opinion. Paul props to you and everyone else who closely helped out Shawn. And we look forward to seeing more pics and video.

Here are some pics and a video we took:

Track:
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/951/medium/PNToronto_RCPTrack.jpg

Ann Arbor Group pic with Shawn and Maggie (Heidi was taking picture) (and yes those are Lays Ketchup potato chips that Chuck is holding...only in Canada :D):
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/951/medium/PNToronto_AAGroupPic.jpg

http://minizracer.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gifAlso check out this YoutTube Video of Open Touring Mod A Main (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUj5TlU3T0) (mostly focused on the Yellow Super Enzo of David's that I was using - I finished in 6th).

-hobbycar (Norman)

Draconious
2006.09.25, 01:47 PM
It was ok, until my cars PCB fried on the start line of the actual race, then I was sorta ticked off for a while lol... and shoving the can of coke I bought in my pocket before the photo was a bad idea..... lol

Thanks Shawn... everything I do ends up falling apart or destroyed anyway, so dont let my constant gripeing over it, ruin it lol...

Sinister_Y
2006.09.25, 03:57 PM
You guys are too cool. It was wonderful to meet everyone in person and have some mini-z stress...er...I mean fun.

I'm just doing some work from home right now to catch up on my 'real' job as that is what pays the bills and I slacked some to get ready for the race. Designing the track at work, making photocopies...eeee, I shouldn't put that stuff in writing!

Thanks for all your kudos, you guys made it fun and easy to run, seriously. ;)

I will update the other thread (and put a link in this one) with race results, my small amount of pics and some commentary highlights of the event in the next couple of days.

:D Many thanks to you guys for coming up to Canada (eh) to race with us.

Thanks for those straight bump pieces as now the club can run HFAY. It would be nice to have a 3 or 4 track version though....as well as the 2 track standard config...just for those (spoiled) guys (like me) that are fortunate enough to have that many tracks.

We had 28 guys in total (which includes me) enter which amounted to 62 entries in total on a class basis. Average entry consisted of 2 classes.

Special thanks goes to Greg, Paul and George (where's ringo?), along with Heidi and Maggie (of course!). Without their help, I would've lost my mind and event would not have gone as well as it did.

Sincerely,

SY

Sinister_Y
2006.09.25, 04:00 PM
P.S.

Drac, you're a great guy and smart to boot. It was a shame about your car. I hope to see you and the other fellas at the worlds at the end of Oct.

pchan0
2006.09.25, 04:42 PM
I have to give a big thank you to Shawn as well for hosting this PN event in Canada, I had the best time. You, your family and crew did an amazing job running the event making the day very enjoyable and one of the best event I have been to. Thank you! :)

It was also nice to meet Mini-Z/David in person, finally can put a face with that name!

Shawn, with a thread like this. PLEASE consider again for a 2007 Canada PN regional race!

samboneecanada
2006.09.25, 06:02 PM
I had a great time. thanks to all the Michigan dudes for their great advice. Brad and I had a great time duking it out the whole day. Javier were soooo buzzed about it all. we could have run for another 3 hours.

We all need to have an attitude just like Willy. He was awesome.
Sai, you were a great help. I soo wanted to try your cool corvette. next time maybe.
Paul thanks for the crystals for the final,
and to Shawn, you made it happen man. I know that it's tough but worth it.
We'll have our vids up very soon.

I may have forgotten to thank people, to all of you, Keep well and invite your friends to come and try your mini z. they'll love it and we'll be like Spain, 1:1 RATIO, one real car for every mini z in town!!!

imxlr8ed
2006.09.25, 06:07 PM
Sounds like I missed a great event... :(

Saving my pennies for the World Cup.

Ultra cool you're gonna be on HFAY... from what I've been seeing, it seems like the MC3 will be a formidable force on there soon !

And it is true... we can all learn so much from Willy, his attitude is what I have been shooting for the whole time since I saw him race way back at the Winter Challenge. (by the way, it works well for most of us at DOW)

mini-z
2006.09.25, 08:40 PM
It was also nice to meet Mini-Z/David in person, finally can put a face with that name!

You too P! :)

onrailz
2006.09.25, 10:34 PM
Shawn and awesome staff,

Wow, I came there to enter and run 4 classes and I ended up running one main and getting DQ'd from it. Yet, I've never had a better time!!!
Seriously, I had a blast with all of you guys and will remember this event forever!

I'm sorry but you will have to host another race next year cause I'm already planning my rematch with James for the 010 crown... Sweet!

Thanks to you and all your friendly helpers for a fantastic event. Thanks to the senior center for the awesome venue!

Congrats on the event, it was perfect.

-Chuck

Sinister_Y
2006.09.25, 10:40 PM
Thanks. Thanks.

Well, you set the bar for sportmanlike conduct in how you took the news. Good One.

Like I said, I hope that we can start something crossborder wise with the NYC crew, the Michigan crew and us Toronto folks. I had a pretty catchy name that I thought up and threw at Bennett, but I've forgotten it...well some sales or marketing type geek can think of something for us.

Reviewing the event, we did have 2 major challenges, one of them yours and then the A main for open touring with CORE missing laps for Edwin. I like to call it "video review" by race officials. Hell, we should have our own music theme just like football when we start off our races. "are you ready for some mini-z?"....

hobbycar
2006.09.25, 11:43 PM
Thanks. Thanks.

Well, you set the bar for sportmanlike conduct in how you took the news. Good One.

Like I said, I hope that we can start something crossborder wise with the NYC crew, the Michigan crew and us Toronto folks. I had a pretty catchy name that I thought up and threw at Bennett, but I've forgotten it...well some sales or marketing type geek can think of something for us.

Reviewing the event, we did have 2 major challenges, one of them yours and then the A main for open touring with CORE missing laps for Edwin. I like to call it "video review" by race officials. Hell, we should have our own music theme just like football when we start off our races. "are you ready for some mini-z?"....

Chuck getting DQ'd for the custom sideskirt thing on the lambo he did for cosmetic purposes was a bummer :( but he did take it well :). I guess if you are going get DQ'd for something, do it for something that looks sweet!:D

We'd love to get some Regional things going. That would rock. It would be cool if the guys from DOW/Pensylvania (like imxlr8ed) would join in as well.

FYI, we've had issues with Core missing laps in our HFAY OLPS races. That's part of the reason why we started try to video all of our races. That way we can correct our scores with proof/certainty before sending them in to be aggregated with everyone elses scores around the world. You can see our videos by going to this thread in the HFAY SubForum (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=239306) that I keep updated. The official HFAY website is located at http://www.howfastareyou.com.

-hobbycar

SaiTam
2006.09.26, 08:34 AM
Chuck drove really well in his MA-010, the spectators and racers can attest to it. I never knew MA-010 could be that fast. The sideskirts were trivial factor really

Chuck getting DQ'd for the custom sideskirt thing on the lambo he did for cosmetic purposes was a bummer :( but he did take it well :). I guess if you are going get DQ'd for something, do it for something that looks sweet!:D

-hobbycar

imxlr8ed
2006.09.26, 11:41 AM
Were always looking for Regionals... HFAY is looking to setup Regionals as well.
We all just have to pick a location that is smack dab in the middle of all of us Nor'Easters (Our fellow Canadians too of course)

Northern Ohio comes to mind for some reason... We have a great guy near there who I'm sure would be willing to help out. (Techno :D )

Just food for thought... the DC/Spoon crews are probably due for a Regional as well... more the merrier.

Hmmm... HFAY Nor'Easters... kinda like the sound of that. ;)

PaulBoth
2006.09.26, 01:13 PM
Shawn and awesome staff,

Wow, I came there to enter and run 4 classes and I ended up running one main and getting DQ'd from it. Yet, I've never had a better time!!!
Seriously, I had a blast with all of you guys and will remember this event forever!

I'm sorry but you will have to host another race next year cause I'm already planning my rematch with James for the 010 crown... Sweet!

Thanks to you and all your friendly helpers for a fantastic event. Thanks to the senior center for the awesome venue!

Congrats on the event, it was perfect.

-Chuck

Chuck: Those last 5 or 6 laps were amazing... you caught back up to him (5 seconds behind) an then the two of you battled it out for the remaining. Crappy outcome, but it was probably he most intense racing for the whole day (all the ooh's and ahh's from everyone watching was proof enough.)

Sai: I can honestly say, I've never seen a vette move that fast. Your a heck of a fast driver...

Next year, we will video tape every main (need more tapes) just in case.

PB

mini-z
2006.09.26, 01:18 PM
Ann Arbor is SE Michigan, very near Toledo which is NW Ohio - or were you thinking more like Cleveland (NE)? Techn0 is in Cinci I think which is SW OH? If AA is central enough, it would work very well with something we're already putting together so I could make it happen if people are interested - regardless, please start as a new thread, as this thread is for Shawn worship - go Shawn! :D

imxlr8ed
2006.09.26, 02:42 PM
Here's the new thread...

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22926

Wedginator
2006.09.26, 04:54 PM
I heard this was a great race. Very well set up and organized. Well done Shawn!! :D

Too bad I wasn't able to make it. If I knew mini-z and the crew were going I woulda went too. There's always next time.

Who likes picture?!? http://www.zzhobby.com/event/2006/PN%20MiniZ%20World%20cup%202006.htm

SaiTam
2006.09.26, 04:56 PM
Personally I think my stock Vette performed the best. The MA-010 was pushing too much and the Modified AD Band Vette had a broken T-plate for the whole race. I want to see the stock A-main video.

Sai: I can honestly say, I've never seen a vette move that fast. Your a heck of a fast driver...

PB

onrailz
2006.09.26, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words, that means more than a trophy. It's fun running at that level with someone else who is as good or better! Even once I got close and we were running freight train style nose to tail, we never touched once. That's good racing and tons of fun!

Also forgot to say thanks to all of the generous hobby shop and PN prize support! Just a super event all around.

-Chuck

Sinister_Y
2006.09.27, 08:33 PM
no crap, you won the mr-15 cop car...sweeettt!

I will try and do the same or better effort next time (did I say next time?...scratches head in wonder) to get some good prizes...plus I thought the long 45 degree RCP kit was cool. Well, and the Iwaver cars and the bodies and the....you get the drift...

I think with the pull and involvement PN has with Kyosho, Kyosho should give some freebies to each regional race. Hell, they aren't running (yet) a Kyosho America (or North American) Mini-Z championship so this is the only official and bigtime mini-z racing events.

Hear 'dat Mr. (Tim) Johnson? Take note.

briankstan
2006.09.27, 08:43 PM
Hell, they aren't running (yet) a Kyosho America (or North American) Mini-Z championship so this is the only official and bigtime mini-z racing events.

Done Forget about HFAY... We are working on it. Althought we aren't specifically dedicated to Mini-Z's it's what most people run. ;)

Sinister_Y
2006.09.27, 09:59 PM
Yes, Yes...sorry about that Brian. You're right HFAY is another bigtime race event, but really multiple events...it kinda skipped my mind as I was PN-brain washed from the last weekend.

locwan
2006.09.27, 10:20 PM
I was only a spectator for this event, as I have just picked up this hobby not too long ago. The races were amazing, and the awd battle between James and Chuck was eye-popping :eek: intense. (I was one of those voices that "wooaoo" in unison.)

Great job and congrats to the organizer Shawn. I will definitely like to participate next year.

hobbycar
2006.09.27, 10:43 PM
I also want to say props to Shawn and Heidi for the impromptu organization of a big pizza order to make sure the racers didn't starve before the last qualifiers and mains :eek: :D

-hobbycar

Sinister_Y
2006.09.28, 10:06 AM
Note to Drac,

just checked over 8 speedy05 motors, they are all the same...one side is stronger attraction than the other. However, opposite side still attracts slightly and slides down can to stick, i.e. does not repel completely. So, they are all the same. I think it comes down to weaker magnets than the other PN motors that were used, i.e. macho and speedy AWD.

Thanks,

Shawn

Draconious
2006.09.28, 12:43 PM
yea they have some funky magnets in there to make it spin faster I guess... I think the magnetic field poles in the one magnet is from end to end, rather then through the arc like most motor magnets... oh well thanks for checking, I guess it fried because of my own doing...

SaiTam
2006.09.28, 02:39 PM
I know for the PN Finals there will be freebies offered by Kyosho

I think with the pull and involvement PN has with Kyosho, Kyosho should give some freebies to each regional race. Hell, they aren't running (yet) a Kyosho America (or North American) Mini-Z championship so this is the only official and bigtime mini-z racing events.