PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Track....

Z_408
2006.10.02, 03:44 PM
What do you guys think?

Z_408

HaCo
2006.10.03, 02:06 AM
I think it is really nice, does it work very well to drive on?

Z_408
2006.10.03, 01:57 PM
I think it is really nice, does it work very well to drive on?

Yes it is very nice to drive on and it is very sturdy. I used milk crates and think pieces of wood. Just watching the cars come down the hill and turning is fun. Then when you actually drive it yourself it is much more fun.

Spoon
2006.10.03, 02:04 PM
Yes it is very nice to drive on and it is very sturdy. I used milk crates and think pieces of wood. Just watching the cars come down the hill and turning is fun. Then when you actually drive it yourself it is much more fun.

That's very cool. How long are you able to keep that track setup? I am wondering if it's the kind of thing that would be worth doing for a few hours or driving...

Z_408
2006.10.03, 02:14 PM
That's very cool. How long are you able to keep that track setup? I am wondering if it's the kind of thing that would be worth doing for a few hours or driving...

This set-up has been up now for over a month with no problems. We use 1/8" partical board and 1" by 1" by 8' wood bars for support. For the height we use milk crates. With this type of set-up the track still stays every consistent and there is no bouncing as cars drive over the bridge. This make for some exciting and challenging racing. I will try and post a video tonight.

Spoon
2006.10.03, 02:33 PM
This set-up has been up now for over a month with no problems. We use 1/8" partical board and 1" by 1" by 8' wood bars for support. For the height we use milk crates. With this type of set-up the track still stays every consistent and there is no bouncing as cars drive over the bridge. This make for some exciting and challenging racing. I will try and post a video tonight.

I was actually wondering how long it takes to set it up and if you think it would be worth it for a GTG that's only a few hours. I guess I could do a simpler bank with some supplies that I have. I may try it tonight.

Z_408
2006.10.03, 02:40 PM
I was actually wondering how long it takes to set it up and if you think it would be worth it for a GTG that's only a few hours. I guess I could do a simpler bank with some supplies that I have. I may try it tonight.

I think it would be definitely worth it. If you had all the materials available, I don't see it taking longer than 10-15 minutes. But be warned, if you race on an elevated track you may never go back to a flat one again :D

Ninja
2006.11.17, 11:24 AM
I built an elevated track at our club once. Most of the members loved it, the rest hated it, and we havent went back. I would love to make elevation changes to the track from time to time as it takes alot more skill to navigate off-camber and dropping turns than a flat track.

arch2b
2006.11.17, 01:05 PM
i too have played around with elvation changes and banked turns. they are very fun and very entertaining when you get a stray car flying off the track like a rocket :p

Z_408
2006.11.20, 02:13 PM
I built an elevated track at our club once. Most of the members loved it, the rest hated it, and we havent went back. I would love to make elevation changes to the track from time to time as it takes alot more skill to navigate off-camber and dropping turns than a flat track.

That is very interesting. We have not heard any complaints about our elevated track from any of the racers that have come through here.

Ninja
2006.11.20, 11:00 PM
I think what the guys didnt like about mine was the fact that it had an over-pass - under-pass loop in it, and if you turned too soon your car would be stuck inside the "tunnel" of the underpass where you couldnt see it. I dunno, even the younger kids done ok with it, it was a couple of the others that complained.