PDA

View Full Version : What motor/turbo?

-Turbo-
2006.10.08, 08:53 PM
Hi,

I was looking at getting the nelly stacked turbo and the plasmatomic motor. Would these be good choices for a mzm with aluminum? Would it wheelie a lot? Will I need better bats than just 4 AAA bats? I don't have one yet, but when I get one, this will be my first upgrade, then I will put on a bunch of aluminum. I am not sure what to get as far as tires and aluminum, but I think I know most of what I need to make this thing survive jumps.

tzero
2006.10.09, 09:13 AM
Rechargeables are the very first upgrade you should get... then berrings.
But it sounds like an extremely powerful combo.

-Turbo-
2006.10.09, 03:58 PM
I already have rechargable energizers from my xmods, so I will use those. I will get bearings also. Will the diffs hold up? I will also get some aluminum.
So far my list is:
Nelly stacked Turbo
Plasmatomic motor
Aluminum shock towers
aluminum shocks
aluminum knuckles and steering blocks
Any other aluminum I might need?

Will it wheelie on demand, or atleast from a stand still?

How do the stock mini-z's do a backflip off a ramp? I wouldn't think they would have enough power to do that in stock form. Could I get all of this stuff and some other little parts for around $300 at the most?

I want to make this as durable as possible, but still be able for it to jump, wheelie a lot, backflip, and go around 20mph.
Thanks

tzero
2006.10.09, 05:28 PM
The drivetrain would need to be up graded to an alloy main gear and maybe a Delrin Ball Diff.
But with that setup you would have trouble steering it because the front wheels would never be on the ground.lol

-Turbo-
2006.10.09, 06:57 PM
Well the aluminum might help keep it down, some. Will the plasmatomic motor really be a good choice for the mzm? I don't think it will be enough for a bigger truck with alloy on it.

briankstan
2006.10.09, 07:10 PM
this is what I have on mine. Alloy front gear case, alloy knuckles, steering rod, motor cap. Also have alloy shock mounts on front and back and Oil shocks and bearings. I'm running a 12 pionion so the speed is pretty good too.

I have upgraded the Fets to a single stack of 4562 Fets, and I'm running an Atomic Stock motor.

on a good traction surface. it will pop a small wheelie from a dead stop. back a bit and hit and it can flip itself over with the torque and talk about a jumping bean. see the video in this thread. if you are going to be jumping it a bunch, make sure you stock up on pillow balls. I've bent 2 already. :D

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22831

good luck with your project, these MZM's are a blast.

-Turbo-
2006.10.09, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. What would be a good motor to get for these? I am looking at the atomic Z2 high current motor also. But then I need 2x4 FET's which is probably close to $90 counting the motor and FET's. Maybe I would be best off with the nelly and the plasmatomic? Does anyone know which will have more torque? Z2 or plasmatomic? does anybody have a link to the diff parts I would need so it holds up?

TamiyaBF
2006.10.10, 04:44 AM
If you need a Nelly turbo , i have one for sale cheap in the misc. forum.

briankstan
2006.10.10, 09:15 AM
here is a link to some pics of mine. you will need at least the same in Alloy for the durablility issues you will face.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/monster.html

I'm a bit curious about why you are looking for so much speed? by going with a High torque motor you sacrafice some top end speed.

also with this setup you will have minimal runtime.

I would say go with a 2 x 2 stack for 4562 fets or a turbo and put in an Atomic T2 (High torque motor)

-Turbo-
2006.10.10, 03:44 PM
Well 15mph would be close to what I want to do in speed. But then I still want a high torque motor. So I guess I will get the T2 motor.

EMU
2006.10.12, 10:40 PM
I have a 3x2 4562 stack with a Plasmatomic on my MZM. I have the ferrite magnets from the Plasma Dash motor, a bud has the Neo Magnets in his, and he gets around the same top end, but gets up to speed faster. On a smooth surface we can both wheelie on demand, even while rolling (when batteries are fully charged). We both use 12t pinions and our top end speed is good.

We mostly used them outdoors in gravel where we run 1:18 and 1:10 offroad, so top end speed is important to us.

We have standard diffs, and gears... only upgrading what was needed when it broke. Shock towers are a must. An alloy front servo case or a few standard servo cases are good to have around (the ball studs rip out). The ball stud also rips out of the motorpod where it connects to both the shocks as well as the lower arm. So you may want to have one of those handy...

These trucks are fairly high maintenance when you increase the speed. But if you spend enough, you can make them fairly bomb proof. . . and the maintenance level drops. They are a blast to drive, but not really a competetive offroader unless you are crawling or racing another MZM. A stock Mini-T will beat a hopped up MZM offroad... The MZM just hops too much since it doesnt have independant suspension.

Getter Robo
2006.10.13, 05:31 AM
You can expect something like that with that combo (and even more)

http://video.**********.com/Mini-Z_Monster_Large.wmv

**** = Atomic Mods

-Turbo-
2006.10.14, 09:53 AM
Getter Robo, The link didn't work. How good would these be if you tryed to crawl with one?I might get one of these around december, because It looks like it might take a little bit more money to get it how I want.

aaron
2006.11.29, 06:23 PM
I already have rechargable energizers from my xmods, so I will use those. I will get bearings also. Will the diffs hold up? I will also get some aluminum.
So far my list is:
Nelly stacked Turbo
Plasmatomic motor
Aluminum shock towers
aluminum shocks
aluminum knuckles and steering blocks
Any other aluminum I might need?

Will it wheelie on demand, or atleast from a stand still?

How do the stock mini-z's do a backflip off a ramp? I wouldn't think they would have enough power to do that in stock form. Could I get all of this stuff and some other little parts for around $300 at the most?

I want to make this as durable as possible, but still be able for it to jump, wheelie a lot, backflip, and go around 20mph.
Thanks

I have the atomic mods MZm and it will do rolling wheelies. It goes about 20 mph and is pretty quick. Might have to try the back flip thing!