PDA

View Full Version : Budget TX choice - why?

locwan
2006.10.10, 01:28 AM
When it comes to cheap AM controllers that works good for mini-z, how come most people seems to like 2PL? Anyone try Airtronics MX-A? Same price, but seems to have more features like throttle and Steering exponentials, which 2PL doesn't have. So... how come?

Spoon
2006.10.10, 07:43 AM
With these two it comes down to personal preference and/or availability. I was ablle to get the 2PL at my LHS so that's my reason. Also remember that the 2PL lets you make a 3 character model name where the MX-A is just numbered. SO I have titles like

F1, AWD, MR2, STK, OLD, instead of 1,2,3....

If you can, try them both and get the one that feels better.

Lionblade
2006.10.10, 08:39 AM
With these two it comes down to personal preference and/or availability. I was ablle to get the 2PL at my LHS so that's my reason. Also remember that the 2PL lets you make a 3 character model name where the MX-A is just numbered. SO I have titles like

F1, AWD, MR2, STK, OLD, instead of 1,2,3....

If you can, try them both and get the one that feels better.

That's why I got a 2PL...readily available at my LHS...though of course, I didn't buy one. Got lucky, won it in a raffle. :D

I'd like to try out the MX-A anyway, though - the 2PL's grip is a little bit too small for my hands....is the MX-A's any larger?

Spoon
2006.10.10, 10:24 AM
I'd like to try out the MX-A anyway, though - the 2PL's grip is a little bit too small for my hands....is the MX-A's any larger?

Not sure, SoyVerde has had access to both, maybe he can chime in.

Draconious
2006.10.10, 01:23 PM
Maybe it does (poor documentation and produc discriptions), but I do not think the 2 channel Airtronics radio has Expo/ARC... the 3 channel does however.

I am using the JR XR2i, and like the airtronics the 2 channel AM does not have expo, but the 3 channel 75 FM does... wonder if I could hack two of them up and make a expo 27am version LOL :)

(the JR XR2i does work good for Epoch if anyone ever wonders)

arch2b
2006.10.10, 02:49 PM
Maybe it does (poor documentation and produc discriptions), but I do not think the 2 channel Airtronics radio has Expo/ARC... the 3 channel does however.

I am using the JR XR2i, and like the airtronics the 2 channel AM does not have expo, but the 3 channel 75 FM does... wonder if I could hack two of them up and make a expo 27am version LOL :)

so how do you like the transmitter? does it work well with other rc's?

Draconious
2006.10.10, 03:57 PM
It works... I've not actualy done any real racing with it yet, tho cuz my car either fried (toronto PN), or I had dead batteries (the last hfay race)... hopefuly ill have better luck friday the 13th LoL.. and my car will actualy work ;) sigh.......... lol.

But its a good radio, I keep trying to get another for under 25$ on ebay so I can have a guest radio... for 2nd car, or 2 for epochs. etc... everyone wants over 50$ for them tho :) and no one ever bids up to the reserve...

locwan
2006.10.10, 07:14 PM

Last I heard, the MX-A does have expo, they are called ARC adjustments on the Airtronics.

soyverde
2006.10.10, 07:54 PM
The MX-A does have throttle ARC (exponential), steering dual rate, 12 model memory, EPAs, sub-trims, and the nicest darn trigger I've ever felt on a controller (very smooth). It is technically a 3 channel controller, though the receiver you get in the $60-$70 package is only 2 channel. As spoon pointed out, you cannot name your models (stuck with model numbers 1-12), and you do not have controller-based ABS (I consider ABS all but useless at this scale, YMMV). I actually slightly prefer the feel of the handle on the 2pl, but the MX-A is not uncomfortable either. I ended up with the MX-A because of the ARC, sub-trims, and extra model memories, and after using it extensively I am very happy with my choice (did I mention the trigger?). Your best bet is to try them both out if you can, as you really can't go wrong with either (so it might come down to ergonomics). They are both better than using a stock analog without EPAs (you will get much finer control out of your car). I looked at the JR XR2i, but was put off by the 2 model memory...part of the draw of a digital controller was that I wouldn't have to recreate my settings every time I race or carry around multiple controllers.

Good luck, hope that helps. ;)

Spoon
2006.10.10, 08:13 PM
part of the draw of a digital controller was that I wouldn't have to recreate my settings every time I race or carry around multiple controllers.

That was the drivng force behind getting a 2PL. I HATED setting the steering trim every time I wanted to drive.

locwan
2006.10.10, 08:17 PM
Does that mean that most people end up with a 2PL just because they were more readily availabe in the shops? (btw, I do have a 2PL already, but am considering switching to a MX-A since the expo may become useful with faster motors running on surfaces with limited traction.)