PDA

View Full Version : HFAY type event on larger tracks??

madf1man
2006.10.10, 02:02 PM
Want to start a discussion about doing a one time event based on a modified HFAYcompetition event. Maybe some slightly different classes offered for a change and then the main focus, being able to run it on a larger track than the norm. Who would be intrested and how much track do you have. Post replies here and lets see how it developes.

imxlr8ed
2006.10.10, 02:17 PM
Very interested... This is kinda going towards the "live HFAY regional" idea.
It would be interesting to see if Arch could duplicate a setup during his Anime/MiniZ event... I'm sure we here at DOW would be willing to duplicate as well.

We have 4 Wide Ls and 1 Wide Oval.

Draconious
2006.10.10, 02:18 PM
Your not the only one that would like to see larger track layouts used...

There is a mini 96 hfay, so why not a SUPER TRACK HFAY? :)

There are a few groups that do have enough track that are already in hfay, although some groups do not have enough track, and like us, do not have enough room to lay it out... so instead of 11 races... we could just do 2 or 3... per year. Make them a 4 month event each race... so they have 4 months to find a place race it etc... this way the groups could participate in both... :) dont really NEED prizes... just the fun of hfay... and maybe SUPER HFAY could be open/modified?! or a little more open than stock hfay?

We could at least use 3 or 4 L's and the expansion pack, maybe one or two of the larger inside radius... and possibly the new outer radius ;).

I know the toronto group wants too :) Right Sinister? :)

I am sure RCP is for it, since everyone will have to buy more track :) ;)

briankstan
2006.10.10, 03:00 PM
this discussion was started in email between Madf1man and myself.

I think this would be a more annual or bi-annual thing that we could setup and run.

I also agree that we need to modify the classes and possibly add some additional ones. Especially F1.

I would like to purpose a Speedy 05 for both classes as alot of people have run in the regionals already and have received motors.

Possibly want to add a mod class as well.

I have 5 wide L's plus and expansion pack. 6 wide inside corners and 2 45* kits

Please post what you have available for tracks, and we will design something that everyone can set up.

also is you know you space limitations please post that also.

Draconious
2006.10.10, 03:10 PM
I would request beign allowed to use a box-stock readyset motor even if the speed 05's are allowed... seeing as one already fried one of my cars fets, along with some other peoples fets... its a fast motor, but I dont trust it with stock fets.

arch2b
2006.10.10, 03:44 PM
Very interested... This is kinda going towards the "live HFAY regional" idea.
It would be interesting to see if Arch could duplicate a setup during his Anime/MiniZ event... I'm sure we here at DOW would be willing to duplicate as well.

We have 4 Wide Ls and 1 Wide Oval.
let me know and we can work something out :)

arch2b
2006.10.10, 03:46 PM
fyi- judges are in discussion regarding expansion of hfay events. this includes the regional concept as well as possibly adding an additional series for larger track layouts. i'll move this thread to the hfay subforum wher eit belongs ;)

please continue to post ideas and thoughts.... just wanted to let you know we are talking about it already

arch2b
2006.10.10, 03:54 PM
I would request beign allowed to use a box-stock readyset motor even if the speed 05's are allowed... seeing as one already fried one of my cars fets, along with some other peoples fets... its a fast motor, but I dont trust it with stock fets.
the speedy motor is not under consideration (for current hfay class). regrdless of any additional motors being added to the acceptable list, the box stock for whatever chassis will always be allowed as an option.

madf1man
2006.10.10, 04:06 PM
Maybe my first post was misleading in some way. The discussion I wanted to start was for finding out if any of the clubs wanted to do a one time event, SIMILAR to HFAY. In other words we all run the same big track and compare times. I had no intentions to step on anyones toes. Just thought it might be fun. Maybe 3 clubs want to throw down a big track next weekend and see who does best?

arch2b
2006.10.10, 04:09 PM
understood, moved back to events.

this concept is being discussed for hfay though.

Sinister_Y
2006.10.10, 04:10 PM
MC3 is on-board in regard to a super HFAY or 1-time event.

We've got access to:

4 Kyosho america tracks (45 degrees)
1 wide L (and 2 additional side bump pieces)
7 large inside radius turn kits
30 additional blank tiles

Thanks

madf1man
2006.10.10, 04:21 PM
I think that'll be great if HFAY does include the large tracks. Its the only reason we're not in it. All of our racers love the idea. But everyone loves the bigger tracks also. So back on topic, intrested clubs who want to do a one time event where we all run the same big track post em up here. How much track you got? Further details can be discussed later so lets just keep this with does the club want to and how much track for now. I,d like to suggest 5 wide L kits, inside radius kit and an expansion kit as a minimum and the more the better.

briankstan
2006.10.10, 04:33 PM
5 wide L's and 1 expansion is a good place to start. this is what it consists of

144 Striaghts
10 Bumpouts
10 Straight Starts
30 Outside Corners
30 Inside Corners
36 Blanks
4 Wide Inside Corner 4 ( I beleive consists of a kit)

if you have this let us know. if you don't let us know what you are short....

thanks

arch2b
2006.10.10, 04:40 PM
short 2 wide l's and expansion pack :o oh, and space to use it :mad:

Hood
2006.10.10, 04:49 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I believe Mini-AZ will be in.. We have no issues on track size..

Hood

imxlr8ed
2006.10.10, 05:51 PM
I'm sure we can manage 5 Wide Ls and one expansion... I was only quoting the track I actually own.

Back to the HFAY Regional idea... it was initially intended to be somewhat of a consecutive multiple GTG event. So far, it would seem we have a few clubs intending to do their best to make this happen so all we have to do is organize it.

When
Where
Who
What

1. When should this happen ?

2. Where are the various Regionals going to take place ?

3. Who is going to attend, and which member from each club is going to set it up ?

4. What rules are we going to play by ? (this is the easy one :o )

Four simple questions... hopefully we can pull this off ! :D

imxlr8ed
2006.10.10, 05:57 PM
Oh... also, Arch... we have the track and the room so if you and your crew want to buzz up here to race, you're always more than welcome to !!!

Idea being same as the last time... I'm right smack dab between you and the NYC crowd, so it makes sense to have it here. I would only want to be sure that some NYC racers would actually show !

I think that a rare opportunity like this would make it seem silly not to attend !

Would also like to find out about the Connecticut crew as well... see if it is viable for them to maybe setup one up there.

Spoon
2006.10.10, 09:16 PM
short 2 wide l's and expansion pack :o oh, and space to use it :mad:

I could always bring up my 2 L's...we might have to smooth the transition from the old to the new...or I would be up for going to PA.

arch2b
2006.10.10, 09:45 PM
i think it would be best for us to make the short trip up to pa. they have the space and the track. i know we are looking forward to running with the top dogs of dow :)

i'm out of the country oct 26-31 and at nekocon nov 3-5. any other times would be good to coordinate with my club.

fyi dc guys, you can make it a day trip, only maybe 2hr trip from germantown. i typically stay over the night so i'm no rushed.

Dusty Weasle
2006.10.11, 12:21 AM
Mini-AZ would love to participate in a once or twice a year big track event. Sort of an All Star OLPS stand alone event. We would simply skip our local series on those months to fit it in.

How much track do we have? Uh, all of it I think.

Now a caution on track size and design: We have found that 30-33 is the farthest practical distance to see the cars well enough for control, and that is with good eyesight. And consider what happens when 3-4 cars go charging through a corner at that distance, its just a blur of small dots followed by a pileup.

Most room sizes we can get top out around 35-50, and figure you have to have pit space and room for drivers to move around.

And while lots of track may be available, that doesnt mean you have to use it all at once. Rhythm is more important than the number of corners. A mass of track would just be tiring. Also consider space for Corner Marshals so they dont have to step across three lanes to flip a car.

Incidentally, something we do at Mini-AZ to help with that is to place one of those grabber-claw arm tools at each corner. Its tough in the heat of battle to not do the hot-foot-dance across a busy track to recover your car, but if drivers remember to use them its better and safer for everyone.

briankstan
2006.10.11, 12:32 AM
I totally agree with bigger is not always better. I beleive that we can come up with a decent size track that will work for everyone. Flow is a must.

Davey Jones
2006.10.11, 12:44 AM
Rocky Mountain Xtreme would be love to run a lg track event. I think we need a little time to get everyone on board. We have 9 Lg L, 2 expan, 8 inside rad. and 4-45s. I like the 2 times a year. Lets bring it on.
BOGGIE BOGGIE BOGGIE Lets go races Boys and Girls.

imxlr8ed
2006.10.11, 12:59 PM
I am planning on finishing the Regional manual if I get some time this week... I will post it here for all to review. It's basically going to be a re-do of the current one, only include different rules for the cars and also the inclusion of track layouts. So... it would seem that there is alot of RCP out there with the various clubs... I guess the next thing to find out would be room available to each club. We need to find out who has the smallest area to work with, and we'll design 3 possible track selections to go into that space. Once we determine that, we can select the track we want to use for the 1st regional, and go from there.

This is going to be a great thing if this becomes a regular addition to the HFAY itinerary... I hope we all can come together on this quickly and efficiently. Racing the World is a tough thing to do... but well worth it !

pinwc4
2006.10.11, 01:25 PM
We at MZ would also like to do such an event. Being in central Illinois we are centrally located about 2.5-3 hours away from St. Louis, Indianapolis and Chicagoland.

We have 5 L's at this point but if I had to buy some more track I would consider it. The 5 L's does fill our current racing space but for a larger event I expect we can get a larger space as long as plenty of people would attend.

madf1man
2006.10.11, 01:27 PM
It looks like there are 3 or 4 clubs that want to throw down a big track. Anybody want to submit a track design? I agree with a nice easy flowing track design but the tight technical is fun also. :D

Sinister_Y
2006.10.11, 02:50 PM
Hi,

MC3 would be short on the following to meet the 5 wide-L and 4 large radius inside turn kits:

short:

6 side bumps
8 inner 90 corners
8 outer 90 corners

Everything else, we have.

Thanks

Davey Jones
2006.10.11, 02:56 PM
It looks like there are 3 or 4 clubs that want to throw down a big track. Anybody want to submit a track design? I agree with a nice easy flowing track design but the tight technical is fun also. :D

Between Trey at hircr and Brian at Salt Lake they have had some great track
layouts. Brian even has tracks layouts for 3, 4, 5, Lg L with inside corner
and 45s that are printable just pick out 2to4 tracks and have everyone vote on witch one they like. I also like the Idea of bragging rights for you and clubs.

imxlr8ed
2006.10.11, 03:45 PM
I'm thinking... to keep it simple for the first event, and to allow as many as possible to compete, that we should just spec the first event for 4 plain jane Wide Ls. I know some will not appreciate this, but I also know that many would like to participate.

Just keep that in mind... and anyways, 4 Wide Ls is a pretty big track after all.

I know initially, this was just supposed to be between 2 clubs, but what the heck... why not try to go big right off the bat ? How cool would it be to have 70 plus drivers all competing at the same time, all over the place ?!... :D

Anyone get hold of our Stafford crew yet ?

Spoon
2006.10.11, 04:15 PM
Would there be any option to include an expansion kit? I have never run on a 3 tile wide track and I think it would be interesting to be able to open up a mod car.

I guess you could do the same with a 2 tile wide track, but it might be nice to have a wide inside turn at the end of the straight...

or I guess I could just slow down at the end of the straight :p :rolleyes: :(

ahh whatever, ignore my suggestion.

imxlr8ed
2006.10.11, 04:19 PM
No... I wouldn't mind an expansion either, but if we agree to that, we may cut some clubs out of it. Or... is it possible that some clubs could attain the tiles they need from RCP ?

Let's look at all avenues here, all suggestions matter.

rharris
2006.10.11, 04:25 PM
SRC would like to join in.

We don't actually have wide L kits, but we have everything in the original list with the exception of the bumps. ( I think we only have 6).

We are currently working with the city of Whittier to gain access to the community center indoor Gym 3 Fridays out of the month. We won't have access to the space until January of 07 (2 months away). We are looking for another option.

We are also working with SoCal Racing to set up a track at the La Mirada race (outdoor) on Nov 12th and Dec 10th. This will run rite beside the 10th scale road race.

We've done a few big tracks. 40' is the max. Both for range and line of sight. 30x15 is nice and fits into most large rooms.

Here's out proposed layout for the La Mirada race.

arch2b
2006.10.11, 05:38 PM
Would there be any option to include an expansion kit? I have never run on a 3 tile wide track and I think it would be interesting to be able to open up a mod car.

I guess you could do the same with a 2 tile wide track, but it might be nice to have a wide inside turn at the end of the straight...

or I guess I could just slow down at the end of the straight :p :rolleyes: :(

ahh whatever, ignore my suggestion.
the last regional gtg we had with dow had a great layout! that was the last regional gtg chucky made with me and brandon.

imxlr8ed
2006.10.11, 05:55 PM
As it stands now, we here at DOW do not have the large radius insides, 45s... just basic Wide Ls and access to more from one of our members.

Here is the layout Arch was referring to... very basic layout, but we liked it so much, it stayed up for around 4 months last year. Offers alot of passing opportunities in certain areas.

arch2b
2006.10.11, 07:18 PM
imx, i have 1 wide turn kit and 1 45deg. kit

Dusty Weasle
2006.10.12, 03:40 AM
For a little inspiration, here is the layout were running this weekend (derived from a design by Hood). It looks to be pretty fun with a series of distinctly different technical sections, a nice cruise corner, and a fast run-up on a big straight.

If we stick to 4-L and no kits, we couldnt use it as-is. It uses Wide Apex and 45deg sections, but it could be modified to use regular sections. The 117 Straights puts it 13 tiles beyond 4 Wide-Ls.

Its 33x22 with a 127.3 running distance. At this size it will just barely fit in the American Legion Hall room we rent, so I expect most others would be equally pressed for space. But maybe it will provide some ideas.

Straights: 117 (10 as Start Lines)
Bumps: 9
Corners: 19
Apex: 17
Wide Apex: 3 (3-tile kit each)
45deg: 5
Blanks: 7 (for 45deg and Wide Apex)

Jonny
2006.10.12, 05:06 AM
Anyone get hold of our Stafford crew yet ?
Hi imxlr8ed,

Speaking for the Stafford crew here in the UK, we would certainly be interested in participating for another HFAY event. We have 5 Wide L's plus Expansion here but no Radius or 45's yet (in progress!). Our running space is currently unknown but we can measure up this coming Sunday.

Unfortunately we are short of drivers at the moment with a dry spell but 4 - 5 regulars will always post times for the current HFAY competition so let's get ourselves on the roster for this potential series.

Jonny.

madf1man
2006.10.12, 08:42 AM
I think what I will propose to our club is that we just issue a challenge to other clubs and post it up on hircr.com site. Based on input here we have several clubs that could participate if they wanted to. We are racing this weekend so I'll talk with everyone then and post the challenge maybe on Sunday. Thanks everyone for your ideas and we will try to make is as easy as possible for everyone but this will be a big track challenge!! ;)

briankstan
2006.10.12, 10:03 AM
Trey, that sounds good. See if you can keep the track around 4 wide L's plus expansion. that way the most # of clubs will be able to set it up and run it... How are you going to handle the times? Are we just going to post them in a specific thread?

Well keep the development of a HFAY large track event going and get them setup bi-annually. probably using the same # of tracks, plus some wide insides and possibly some 45* sections.

imxlr8ed
2006.10.12, 10:46 AM
The track I have shown for DOW also represents our limitations as far as room for track... it pretty much takes up the whole usable floor space we have at our facility.

If we want to break it down to club against club, that's fine... but I also don't want to cut other clubs out.

Essentially... if we have large tracks designed on the site, and clubs race them according to a rulebook, similar to what we have now... it would basically be a team time trial event. Still cool, but it just seems to take the urgency and anticipation out of it. I'm cool with it either way really... I'm so busy with other stuff right now, it's hard to make time for anything. (yet I do still manage to race something at least once a week. ;) )

Cool track Dusty !... but I don't think we could squeeze it into our place.

And... I definitely understand dry spells Jonny, thank god for the regulars ! :D

briankstan
2006.10.12, 11:43 AM
Cool track Dusty !... but I don't think we could squeeze it into our place.

And... I definitely understand dry spells Jonny, thank god for the regulars ! :D

I second the comments on the track. Nice design :cool:

We are going though the same problem currently with getting more people to show. it's funny that when we have the room we don't have the people, when we are limited on the room we have an abundance of people.

Jonny
2006.10.12, 03:45 PM
Yeah, you're absolutely right - My partner and I live 180 miles away from our GTG but show every time. Just what would we do without the Z Racing?! :D I think some new advertising is needed in the area, I'm 100% sure there would be an interest. A few kids noticed the event last time round and I invited them in to take a look and they were loving it.

We'll be up for any series going which will add another element to each meet, so I'll keep an eye on updates in the near future.

We are going though the same problem currently with getting more people to show. it's funny that when we have the room we don't have the people, when we are limited on the room we have an abundance of people.

Well I kinda wish it was the same here Brian but it is getting a little lonely out there on the track...surely the UK needs to be informed, there just isn't enough presence in our market :(

imxlr8ed
2006.10.12, 03:50 PM
My partner and I live 180 miles away from our GTG but show every time.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Whoa !!! Now that's dedication !!!

That'd be like me going to NYC everytime I wanted to race.

arch2b
2006.10.12, 04:18 PM
each DC member drives 1-3hr each way to race. it's thinned out a bit but we still get average a total of 4 for the DC class racing and 5 for HFAY.

Jonny
2006.10.12, 05:47 PM
@imxlr8ed: It's a shame that it's the only Mini Z Club in the UK that's known but when it's something you love as a hobby (and my fiance too) it's always well worth it and a great bunch of guys up there (as long as they show ;) )

@arch2b: Yep, it's a 3 hour drive around the infamous M25, M1 and M6 motorways for us but so familiar now! The worst thing is leaving at 11pm and arriving home early hours of the morning, trying to stay awake. We always have 4 for the HFAY date and can be 9 on a great day.

Looking forward to some more racing against the world anyway guys, I'd better let this thread get back on track.

Jonny.

Davey Jones
2006.10.17, 08:54 PM
For a little inspiration, here is the layout were running this weekend (derived from a design by Hood). It looks to be pretty fun with a series of distinctly different technical sections, a nice cruise corner, and a fast run-up on a big straight.

If we stick to 4-L and no kits, we couldnt use it as-is. It uses Wide Apex and 45deg sections, but it could be modified to use regular sections. The 117 Straights puts it 13 tiles beyond 4 Wide-Ls.

Its 33x22 with a 127.3 running distance. At this size it will just barely fit in the American Legion Hall room we rent, so I expect most others would be equally pressed for space. But maybe it will provide some ideas.

Straights: 117 (10 as Start Lines)
Bumps: 9
Corners: 19
Apex: 17
Wide Apex: 3 (3-tile kit each)
45deg: 5
Blanks: 7 (for 45deg and Wide Apex)

Great track, how did you create the Picture?

Dusty Weasle
2006.10.17, 11:19 PM
I use the 3d modeling package 3d Studio Max. I make the pretty-type renders for the fun of it. I have printer friendly top-down map views for the task of assembly.

Theres a picture of the actual track assembled over in our Phoenix sub-forum (Post#21):
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22429&page=2

I only have a short tripod so its from a rather low perspective. Its actually two pictures (with vastly different exposures and white balance because I was in a hurry) assembled into one panoramic view (Photoshop Ninja skillz :cool: ).

madf1man
2006.10.18, 08:23 AM
Still working out the details of our big track challenge for all the clubs. Had a slow weekend at the track. I might be hoping for HFAY to get their idea going also, you never know!! :eek:

madf1man
2007.01.22, 10:27 AM
Ok, here we are in the future. Just going thru the new web site for HFAY and thru the threads here. It appears that all tracks are 2 tile tracks. We run 18th scale also and I gotta take care of all our racers. Are there any plans yet for 3 tile tracks? Thanks

arch2b
2007.01.22, 10:35 AM
i do not think we will ever have tracks that will be 3 tiles wide all around. atleast not for mini-z's.

that does not mean hfay can not expand to include them for 1:18 racing;) i know we are focused on 1/28 but there is no reason why we can't expand to other scales provided the modularity and consistency of tracks can be achieved.

as an example of how a flawed system is being developed, there is a thread on tinyrc for xmods points series inwhich they are providing guidlines for a general track layout to be made from whaveter with no chance in hell for any consistency and times to be ranked which when you think about it, it's a waste of time. all one person would have to do is shave a corner on thier home made track to skew the results making the entire effort futile.

Spoon
2007.01.22, 10:41 AM
I understand that you want to keep the 1:18 drivers happy but moving to 3 wide would exclude a lot of clubs. DC just does not have the space to go three wide. Also, I have driven on 3 wide before and its not very exciting with a stock motor. Once we move away from the stock motor, then money comes into play and a kid with a box stock Mini-Z can not keep up with a grown man with a full time job and expendable income.

I think the most critical goal of HFAY is to be able to include as many people as possible and escalation of track size and car speed is directly against that goal.

I dont know what your race days are like but HFAY only takes one day out of the month. You could always build the HFAY layout into another larger layout and make the conversion for those who are interested.

arch2b
2007.01.22, 10:50 AM
this is part of the larger track discussion though, which dow and us have turned into the hfay regional idea as well. these will use larger tracks.
i am still all for have a new class for larger tracks however it means managing several classes for the hfay online points series. this will be a much smaller class of particiaption but it atleast appealss to those shops that only run large tracks. as it is, there were a couple who have remained out of hfay for this reason. htis way dow could have potentially remained in hfay this season, just in the larger track layout class.

what we should be doing is starting a thread for suggeseted additional online points series classes. this would also require alot more website work and management.

continue 2 wide l class as the standard

i would suggest 3 to 4 wide l layouts for 1/28 class. this could also be used for regional events.or you could even start recording pn finals track layouts for use as regionals as well.

i would suggest whaveted is needed for a 1/18 class

madf1man
2007.01.22, 11:21 AM
Got it and understood. I will consider doing another weekend per month but doubt it. As far as incoporating a HFAY layout into one of our bigger layouts, it would take up valuble space. We'll see. Maybe I'll get back on the once in awhile big track challenge idea.

arch2b
2007.01.22, 11:58 AM
i just don't see how a 3 tile wide mini-z track would prove challenging? that would be like racing on the freeway. i don't mean to say you could not do that...

i would like to see those clubs that use larger tracks fit into hfay though.

techincally, if we included all the pn regional tracks into the larger track class, we would instantly have lots of data for them simply but pulling pn stock class results.

imxlr8ed
2007.01.22, 03:37 PM
this is part of the larger track discussion though, which dow and us have turned into the hfay regional idea as well. these will use larger tracks.
i am still all for have a new class for larger tracks however it means managing several classes for the hfay online points series. this will be a much smaller class of particiaption but it atleast appealss to those shops that only run large tracks. as it is, there were a couple who have remained out of hfay for this reason. htis way dow could have potentially remained in hfay this season, just in the larger track layout class

We're just on a speed expedition really... more trigger time on the larger tracks is just a part of it. Been a long time since we had a mod class.

hilldebrandt
2007.01.22, 06:57 PM
i just don't see how a 3 tile wide mini-z track would prove challenging? that would be like racing on the freeway. i don't mean to say you could not do that...

I'm not complaining...but to a newcomer to 1/28th scale like me, the HFAY tracks are tough !! :confused: I did pretty well in 1/10th scale, but that was 15 years ago...and my reflexes are alot slower now... :eek: The 2 tile wide tracks are very difficult to get a handle on for a newcomer, I would rather race on a larger track, at least to learn on....more forgiving ! ;) Just thought I'd mention that...being that alot of you guys on here have alot more experience racing these cars...
That being said...I do like the idea behind HFAY and had fun participating last season for a few races...even if I did finish last in every event I ran... :D
I was a little suprised that DOW decided to bow out for a bit...but I'm actually looking forward to running some bigger tracks for now, get some experience, and come back to HFAY and lose by only 10 laps instead of 20 or more... :p

arch2b
2007.01.22, 07:05 PM
i agree that some larger tracks are needed, thus my calls for additional classes.

i have never ever seen an rcp track that was all 3 tiles wide though (50cm track). you can however buy an expansion pack that adds 3 tile wide lanes to portions of a track, which i have seen. i would like to see some of these in the larger class tracks.

imxlr8ed
2007.01.22, 09:15 PM
I do like the idea behind HFAY and had fun participating last season for a few races...even if I did finish last in every event I ran... :D

Don't be so hard on yourself... you jumped into a bullring wearing red pajamas !

You'll get there... it's all about the trigger time ! I will have an extra Sunday event at my new place next month so you'll get more practice in for sure.

madf1man
2007.01.22, 09:34 PM
Actually we find the small tracks less challenging. The cars never reach full speed on short tracks and are much more controllable or predictable. Its also much more easy to get into the flow of a small track. Tune a car to a short track and then run it on a big track, you'll be retuning. Back on the subject, I just want to run a big track event and invite anybody to particapate. The tracks will be big but we'll try to keep it within reason!! I'll be working on a lay out and get it posted on the hircr web site in the next week or so. Thinking March for the event. Just simple basic theme overall. I would be more than happy to have HYAY be apart of it in any way. We:ll just run a race and post the standings and compare with other clubs.

imxlr8ed
2007.01.22, 11:27 PM
Actually we find the small tracks less challenging. The cars never reach full speed on short tracks and are much more controllable or predictable. Its also much more easy to get into the flow of a small track. Tune a car to a short track and then run it on a big track, you'll be retuning. Back on the subject, I just want to run a big track event and invite anybody to particapate. The tracks will be big but we'll try to keep it within reason!! I'll be working on a lay out and get it posted on the hircr web site in the next week or so. Thinking March for the event. Just simple basic theme overall. I would be more than happy to have HYAY be apart of it in any way. We:ll just run a race and post the standings and compare with other clubs.

We'll do our best to run a similar layout here at DOW, but I'm not sure we'll have the same amount of room you guys have down there. If you check out our track from our last event, you'll get an idea of our maximum space we have available.

And I will say this (I'm not defending the ideals behind HFAY OLPS here... I know I don't need to :D )... small tracks do get you into a rhythm, but that was one of the most fascinating factors of the whole thing... the sheer consistency that was required to keep all those lap times as low as possible. I'd compare it to martial arts... focused on perfection for excruciatingly long periods of time. (8 minutes seemed like hours) I would at least recommend to our Houston friends to at give it a shot... at least once. ;) It may seem slow and tedious... but when everyone else is having the same go at it, it becomes less a tuning challenge, and more like a struggle of willpower.

Davey Jones
2007.01.23, 08:38 AM
I am favor of running a large track. We race every other weekend.
One weekend we race HFAY and the other weekend we race a Large
track with 4 to 5 large L, 45s and Lg inside corners and expansion.
Every weekend we put up 2 tracks one HFAY and one large track. Jon my
web master said he could put a link on our web site for the large track
race, that every one check out there race times. I think we could put up
some LG track designs and vote on them. March is good for us for a
LG track race. We run clubs points series, and both HFAY and the large
track are included in our club points.

madf1man
2007.01.23, 08:50 AM
I don't think there needs to be any concerns about defending and or anyone thinking there is an offending concern either. We all love our mini rc and the idea of racing them against anyone. Just trying to put together a one time event for now. I have no desire to run any big track series like HFAY does. To much work for my feeble mind! I have a hard enough time just clearing the showroom and setting up twice a month. When I do set up I want to get the most bang for the work and that includes 18th scale. As far as trying the smaller tracks, been there done that many times, as recently as this past December. We ran 2 events at a local hobby shop. Probably about the size of a 4 L track set up. Foot print for big track challenge I'm thinkin bout would be about 32' x 26'

arch2b
2007.01.23, 08:55 AM
please do setup a 3 tile wide track and please post plenty of pictures and information when you do. i for one would love to see it done. if i had a crazy fast car i would love to use a track like that as well but i don't have either the car or the space available.

just because is isn't done, doesn't mean it can't be;)